Home
Posted By: captbutch loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
I have a Ruger v-1 in 220 Swift and have never worked up a good coyote load for it. Any suggestions to start? Thanks Butch
Posted By: CFVA Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
My tang safety likes 55 gr Ballistic Tips and W760.
Posted By: ilikguns Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
I was lucky, my 700 prefers Hornady V-max 40gr factory ammo.
Posted By: TeamRealtreeHD Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
I had good luck with IMR 4064, 55 grain Nosler BTip and Federal Match Primers.
Posted By: hunter01 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
39.5 gr. of 4320 with a 52 gr. Berger (4027 fpts) works great in my 40X 220 Swift. Start at about 37 gr. and work up slowly. Shoots one holers all day long..
Posted By: whelennut Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
Varget and 55 gr Hornady V Max.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/03/11
Originally Posted by hunter01
39.5 gr. of 4320 with a 52 gr. Berger (4027 fpts) works great in my 40X 220 Swift. Start at about 37 gr. and work up slowly. Shoots one holers all day long..

Ruger #1V, 220 Swift, Plop a 55gr BK, or BT it doesnt matter, Load up some AA2700, or RL15 dont matter which, get em going about 3700-3750, give em about 5-20 thou jump in your rifle, start 20 and decrease. Whacks yotes hard out of a 14 Twist. Launch a 52 at 4000-4050, all day long and the barrel will be toast in 400 rds or so. Been there, done that.

Swifty
Posted By: hunter01 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/04/11
400 rounds and the barrel is toast! B^%$$*^t, Have over 1000 rounds through that barrel, and can still cover 5 shots with a small button. Ragged holes all the time. Been there, DONE that.....Never get it hot and clean the barrel every 20/30 rounds. 'Burned out' in 400 rounds, right.........!! You ARE kidding, right???

Originally Posted by Swifty52

Ruger #1V, 220 Swift, Plop a 55gr BK, or BT it doesnt matter, Load up some AA2700, or RL15 dont matter which, get em going about 3700-3750, give em about 5-20 thou jump in your rifle, start 20 and decrease. Whacks yotes hard out of a 14 Twist. Launch a 52 at 4000-4050, all day long and the barrel will be toast in 400 rds or so. Been there, done that.

Swifty
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/04/11

The only manual I found from speer, nosler, hornady and Sierra, the Sierra is the only one that lists 4320 for the swift. IMR and Accurate dont recomend that powder. But Sierra lists 38.5 as max, not 39.5. Mighty white of ya to put up a 1 grain overload for a guy to try. And that is the only way you are gonna get 4000 plus out of a 52 gr in the Swift unless you have a 28 inch barrel, but then I forgot 40X rifles are made with Super Barrels, and they can do something I have never seen a 5000 dollar bench gun do which is shoot bug holes ALL DAY LONG. BUG HOLE = .1 to .15 or better for 5,5 shot groups all shot within 30 min. And yes I have been there and done that, 400 rds H380 max load plus 3/4 gr and magnum primer 4050 to 4100 out of a 24 inch barrell, and it was fire cracked 2 inches into the barrell, total of 1400 rds through it, now my Cooper 22 Montana Varminter wears a 26 inch new tube. And just in case you are wondering, .9 inches high at 100, put me dead on at 300.

Swifty
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/04/11
I've tried a bunch of powders in the Swift over the years, and these days tend to use Ramshot Hunter with 55's and RL-15 with lighter bullets.

But in my experience it's a pretty easy round to load. Lots of powders work.
Posted By: R_Walter Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/04/11
Winchester cases and WLR primer, 37.5 grains IMR 4064, 55 grain Nosler BT (orange tip)
Posted By: keith Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/04/11
I shot out two ruger tang safety's and two Savage 112J's, some years ago shooting jack rabbits, ground squirrels, p. dogs, and cyoyotes.

All 4 rifles like very close to the same load, 43.5-44.5g of AA2700 with a 50g Sierra Sp or 50g Nosler ballistic tip. Accuracy was in the area of .250-.285 for three shot groups.

As the barrel started approaching 2000 rounds, I went to a 63g Sierra Semi point with IMR 4350 and a Win primer, got another 800 rounds of spectacular accuracy(-3/4") before the barrels got so rough that copper fouling became a serious issue to remove.

Check this site for some really great loads reported by gunowners themselves, as always, compare any load listed on the internet against a reloading manual(typos).

Ps.

4064 eats barrels compared to AA2700
Posted By: OSB Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/05/11
If nothing else works 4064 seems to always do the job.
Posted By: hunter01 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/05/11
Wow, you're a real trip! You make us all laugh everytime you open your mouth. What an ignorant ass you are. Are you 10 years old or 12? First you suggest someone shooting a 50/52 grain bullet out of a Swift will burn their barrel out in 400 rounds. Right! Were you born a negative, antagonistic, trouble making assinine jerk, or did you develop that later in life? You said I told Capbutch to 'shoot 39.5 gr. of 4320 in his Swift'. Well, if you hadn't been so consumed with being an ass and negative, you'd of noticed that I DIDN'T say that at all. He asked for some suggestion on loads for his Swift, and I told him what I was shooting in my gun. You probably didn't notice either, that I told him to; "start at around 37 gr. and work up slowly." That's what I do, and what all reloading manuals suggest too. I NEVER told him to just load up 39.5 gr. of 4320 in HIS gun and shoot it. You're such a jerk.
You really[Linked Image] shouldn't come in the Campfire and pop off about things you apparently know nothing about. We in here are just in here to share things and have a good time. Don't need, boys, like you in here stirring up trouble, putting others, their loads and guns down.
You further show how little you know about guns and reloading by suggesting that 4320 isn't a good (recommended) powder for the Swift. Make me laugh some more will you! Oh, and by the way, recommend is spelled with 2 m's not one, like you did. But I understand, coming from a sixth grader like you.
I've been reloading since 1966, and have more reloading manuals than you have fingers and toes. I have a library of books and other data on reloading. Funny too, that the first 8 reloading books I just picked up have tons of .220 Swift load listings for 4320 powder. A rather common powder used in reloading the .220 Swift. Something your obviously aren't aware of either. I've shot 3031, 4320,4831,4350, and others in the Swift. 4064 is a great powder for loading in the Swift too.
As far as telling Capbutch to load 39.5 gr. of 4320 in his Swift, as I said before, (check my post Chump)I DIDN'T. You also said that it was over a maximum load. NOT! I can tell you don't know much about reloading. Check 10 different reloading manuals and you'll see 10 different loadings for the same bullet, powder and charges. So many different variables to deal with in those manuals. Testing from different guns, barrel length, temperature conditions, etc. to name a few. Speer reloading manual #5 lists 42 gr. of 4320 for a max. load in 50/52 grain bullets, 38 for minumum. Oh, how 'white' of Speer to list a load like that that has a minimum load of 38 grains to be more than the maximum load of 37ish like you mentioned from ANOTHER manual. I suppose Speer does that so they can be liable and sued for listing a dangerous load, right! Compare different manuals and all you see are differences and discrepancys between same caliber, powder and bullets. Check it out 'Not So'. Can't call you Swifty,because you're not, but will call you 'Not So Swifty', because based on your comments, you aren't very 'swift.'
Mule Deer,in here, states that 'there are lots of powders that work well in the Swift'. I know 4320 is one of them. Have been shooting that load since 1975. Did my homework, researched some possible loads, started low and tested them, and settled on 4320. 4064 also worked good for me.
Keith, in here, posted that he's got 2800 shots out of his Swift. You tell me 400 warm/hotter loads from a Swift will burn out a tube. Double NOT! Make us laugh some more, Child!
Here are just a few 4320 powder loads listed from some of my reloading manuals using 50/52 gr. bullets in .220 Swift. Note the differences, and that my 'tested' load isn't above many of the listings. Speer #5: max. 42 gr., min. 38 gr., Lyman 44th edition: 40.0 gr. max., 36 gr. min., Nosler #1 Editon: 38 gr. max, 34 gr. min., Hornady Vol. II: 39.5 gr. max.,35 gr. minium. Gun Digest 1975: (article by famed, late Don Lewis) max. 41 gr., min. 38 gr. How many more would you like to see???? Manuals all show differences with same powders/ bullet weight. Check them out. One 30-06 load with 180 gr. bullet list 58.0 gr. of 4350 as max. load, and another list 52 gr. as a max.
So you 'Not So', really need to do your homework before you come into our peaceful rooms and pop off about things you obviously know nothing about. You show us what you 'don't' know every time you open your mouth in here. We were just in here making load suggestions to Capbutch, not bothering anyone. Then you come in here accusing people (aka Me) of giving Capbutch, unsafe, hot loads. Again, note that I told him to start low and work up 'slowly'.
I don't bother anyone! I don't give people crap either. I'm a quiet, backwards, shy kind of a guy. BUT, I also don't take crap off of knit wits like you coming in the Campfire and attacking folks, loads, guns, etc. with ridiculous, assinine and ignorant comments. Do yourself a favor 'bud' do your homework and think more about what you are saying so you don't open your big mouth and stick your foot in it. [Linked Image]Terrbile 5 shot,100 yard group from my 'ole shot out' .220 Swift. NOT![Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]A 5 shot 100 yard group shot with my Cooper M21, Montana Varminter, in .204. 26.0 gr. of Reloader 10X with 39 gr. Sierra bullet, at 3887 fps. 'Not So' Swifty probably thinks I'll shoot that barrel out in 400 rounds too..[Linked Image][img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/_MG_0007.jpg[/img][img][IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/_MG_1038.jpg[/img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/_MG_0004.jpg[/IMG][img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/_MG_1060.jpg[/img][img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/IMG_0006.jpg[/img][img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/_MG_1038.jpg[/img]A little 'Swift' carnage![img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/rafter01/_MG_1041.jpg[/img][
Posted By: keith Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/05/11
Hunter, dang that is one clean loading bench!

How old is that RCBS press? Still go the aluminum primer catcher also!!
Posted By: hunter01 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/05/11
Ah, you noticed the ole RCBS press. I bought that in 1971 (40 years ago) when I got home from Viet Nam. Boy, if that press could talk. Was using the Lyman 310 nutcracker tool before that. Have loaded many thousands of rounds with that RCBS press. Thought of upgrading and getting a newer one, but I figure, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Still serves me well. And yes, still has the al. primer catcher. I use my daughter's rubber hair bands to hold it on. Whatever works!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/06/11
Captbutch: I have a wonderful Coyote load for the 220 Swift!
Speer 52 grain hollow-point flat-base bullet.
Winchester brass.
Federal 210M primers.
And the standard charge of IMR 4064 powder.
Best of luck with your Swift!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: whelennut Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/06/11
[Linked Image]
The Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip is a favorite of mine for prairie dogs. I'm guessing it would leave a mark on a coyote. grin
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/06/11
I had a Remington 700 Classic in .220 swift. 36.5 grains 2208 (Varget) was a mild load behind 55 Sierra SptBt's. This worked well on animals up to 50 kg (100lbs).

50 grain Norma factory loads were also very accurate and faster than I could accurately get from reloads.

Cases stretched more than my (previous) .22-250 which made trimming a constant chore.
Posted By: hunter01 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/06/11
Originally Posted by whelennut
[Linked Image]
The Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic Tip is a favorite of mine for prairie dogs. I'm guessing it would leave a mark on a coyote. grin

Like they say: "Speed Kills"
Posted By: tkofoid Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/06/11
If you want 22-250 velocities, the swift will do that. If you want 220 swift velocities the swift will really do that! I prefer that latter. Each rifle has its own personality and the experienced handloader, (Hunter and myself and many,many others) can determine what's right for that rifle. I,too, get 4000+ fps out of my swift with 52 grain bergers using re15 powder,,and shoot 1/2" groups at 300 yards with that load. Whatever recipe you use always work slow and watch for signs of pressure and irregularites. Your gun will talk to when its right.
Swift: Years ago I badmouthed a fella ,for he loaded a box of shells for a friend. ( handloader was my friend's relate) The handloader wrote the recipe on the box which was (what I thought a hot load). After a tongue-lashing from the loader and an explanation, I began to understand handloading in relationship to the rifle. You recieved that same lashing from Hunter. Is Hunter wrong? No! Are You wrong? No! Hunter knows his limits and his rifle. He did encourage working up the load. No harm -no foul! You are a straight forward guy looking out for interests of others. no harm-no foul!
As to burning barrels out: Any barrel can burn out with out proper use. If mine burns out,,,,,,I sure had fun doing it.
A gunsmith ,friend of mine, told me of an incident where as a fella burned out his brand new .270 with one box of shells.
FWIW: The.243 is a greater barrel burner than the swift.
Have a blessed day.
Posted By: tkofoid Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/06/11
Another bit: In handloading the swift, I intentionally keep the headspace to a bare minumun. IMO,,it improves accuracy and best of all it saves on the brass. I get 5 to 6 loadings out of it whereas before I was contious of the headspace; I'd only get 2 to 3. OOPS--- I spelled a word wrong.
Do I love the crraaaack of the swift?? Ya-- you betcha!
Posted By: hunter01 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/07/11
The Swift sure is a great round. The things I look for when reloading is: First, is it a safe load, Second, is it accurate, and third is it fast? It is ideal when I can get all three, but if I can't, I want a safe load that is accurate. Lots of rounds won't shoot accurate when they are fast. I've been lucky to be able to find safe Swift loads that are very accurate and also fast. You mentioned the 22-250. I've shot that round lots too. However, in my experience I've not been able to find a fast load that shoots accurate. I figure if you can't get it going close to factory specs. then you may as well shoot a lesser gun, like a 222, 223, etc. But that's OK. It doesn't matter if it is going 9000 miles an hour if you can't hit crap with it. An accurate, safe load is what's important to me. And if I ever burn out a barrel ( and I haven't yet on any gun), I'll just put a new one on. Like one guy said, "You should hope to live and shoot long enough to wear out a barrel." I agree. Burn one up, just put a new one on. No biggie.
And yes, I sure love to hear that Swift crack too. Gives a good bang with all that powder coming out of a .224 hole. I also love the sound of it hitting a groundhog. POP! It hits with authority, that's for sure. I shoot lots of hogs with .204, .223, and others, but they don't 'POP' on a chuck like a Swift. Hit a groundhog with the Swift, and you know (and the chuck too) you've hit something.
Have a good day my friend...
Posted By: rockchuck828 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/07/11
Originally Posted by tkofoid
Another bit: In handloading the swift, I intentionally keep the headspace to a bare minumun. IMO,,it improves accuracy and best of all it saves on the brass. I get 5 to 6 loadings out of it whereas before I was contious of the headspace; I'd only get 2 to 3. OOPS--- I spelled a word wrong.
Do I love the crraaaack of the swift?? Ya-- you betcha!

I agree with tkofoid for the most part but just to add from my own experience.
I can easily get 12-15 firing's using Norma brass and Redding bushing type dies (with the correct size bushing) that is from a factory chamber.
If you have a custom reamer made to fit your brass your brass will last the life of the barrel if you use proper bushing dies.
Just wondering: Do you anneal the cases??? Your thoughts on annealing....
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/07/11
Hunter01: Your post makes it sound like replacing a barrel is quick, easy and of no economic consequence!
That is incorrect - if, I interpret your post correctly!
The last barrel I had replaced took months (waiting for the barrel and then for the Riflesmith to get the work done) and cost in excess of $550.00!
A quick check on todays Hart Barrel's site shows a "combo price" of $650.00 for a new barrel and having THEM fit it - average wait time 6 to 8 weeks!
"I" have had many custom barrels bought and fitted to my Rifles over the past 35 years and for one thing it now IS such an expensive endeavor that I try to avoid this procedure at all costs.
That "cost" includes firing my Rifles SLOWLY and sparingly so as not to waste barrel life!
My good friend Irv owns what was truly a great shooting 220 Swift.
It is a Remington 40XB-KS with a 27 1/4" stainless factory barrel.
Irv and I were Varminting partners and he was SO impressed with my 40XB-KS in 220 Swift that he bought one for himself.
I saw him shoot several groups at 200 (two hundred) yards measuring at and just under 1/2" for five shots with his Rifle!
Irv took his wonderfully accurate Swift Prairie Doggin twice the next year and at 1,400 rounds he had NO rifling for an 1 3/4" down the barrel.
He simply shot the Rifle hot and kept shooting it that way!
Yes a Swift barrel can be "shot out" (to the point where accuracy starts to diminish) rather quickly.
So, that next winter Irv sends the Rifle back to Remington and several months and $475.00 later he had a re-barreled Swift.
Irv was slightly miffed that the "new" Rifle would NOW only shoot 1" groups at 200 yards.
I cautiously reminded him that he should "baby" that Swift and NEVER shoot it with a hot barrel thus preserving its life and accuracy!
Your "I'll just put on a new one" comment is the fix - but it is NOT a cheap fix nor a quick one anymore!
Avoid the Riflesmith by shooting only through a coolish Swift barrel.
Long live the 220 Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VarmintGuy, Please point out in my recent post where I implied it was cheap, fast, or easy to replace a barrel. If you want to interpret my post in that manner, then go ahead. I'll just point out to you that it is 'just' your interpretation and 'just' that. Assume what you may.. Just remember what they say about people that 'assume' things. You spell assume, ASS U me. When you ASS U me, it does 'just' that... It makes an ASS out of U. I keep using the word 'just' because that is the word I used in my post. "I'll 'just' put on another barrel." How does that imply it is cheap, fast, and easy??? I know barrels aren't cheap. Price a Kreiger, Shilen, Hart, or Douglas and you know they aren't cheap. I don't know who does your barrel work, but my gunsmith can get a barrel and put it on a gun in about 2 to 3 weeks max. You seemed to focus on the word 'just' in my post as meaning cheap, fast, and easy. Well, you can interpret it anyway you want. I can't control your interpretation of my post, I can only say how wrong your view of my post is, as my post does not in ANY way imply what you've accused me of. Go back and reread. Interpret it anyway you want. Funny how you can take one sentence (one word,just,) out of a much larger post and use that to twist it all around and make a big deal out of something so small and miniscule. So to answer your question: NO you don't interpret me correctly...AT ALL..
Like my post stated, 'I've never wore out a barrel before'. If I do, I don't look forward to putting the $money$ out for a new one, but if/when I do burn out a barrel, the simple solution is to 'JUST' put another one on. GET IT?
Man what is it with folks in here. First Swifty62 accuses me of telling a guy to use a hot/unsafe/over-max load, then VarmintGuy says I imply that putting on a new barrel is "just" cheap, fast and easy. Man, I just can't seem to win for losing. Maybe it is the moom phase...........????????????
Now, YOU 'hold into the wind' my friend.....
Ditto on: Long live the Swift...... 'and their barrels too'

P.S. FYI: I too shoot a Remington 40XB with 27 1/4" barrel. Great shooter.
Regards,
Hunter01
Posted By: tkofoid Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/07/11
Hunter: I understand your statement as to ''just'' install a new barrel. I am not a wealthy man,but I love the sport of shooting so much that if I burn a barrel down; I'll 'just' put another one on it. The thought is quite simple. I have a hunch you and I are on the same page concerning this.
I do anneal my brass are 2-3 loadings.

Rockchuck: I have read/heard about the Redding bushing system,but did not know it would save brass as well as it does.
I'm guessing the Norma brass is a huge factor ,too? Whenever I can, I use Lapua brass due to it's longevity..I did not realize Norma makes and sells swift brass...
tkofoid, Thanks. For a while there I was starting to think I was losing it. I felt like, for some unknown reason, I had a target on my chest. I 'just' come in here to share, gain input, maybe learn something, and 'just' have a good clean time on the net. I come in here to give my 2 cents worth and guys like Swifty and VarmintGuy attack me, and accuse me of saying things I NEVER said. Guess it is all up to their interpretations. Such is life. I can't control that. I didn't think I was being that ambiguous..
I'm not a wealthy man either. I'm 'just' a retired school teacher on a fixed income. I would hate to spend the money to replace a barrel too, but I'd do it because, I too, 'just' love shooting. Boy, it appears that the word 'just' just may be one of my favorite words. haha.
I appreciate your response. You sound like a stand-up gentleman who is very much on the same page as I. Sounds like you and I are speaking the same language. Thanks again for your understanding.
Regards to you Sir,
Hunter01
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/08/11
tkofoid, Thanks. For a while there I was starting to think I was losing it. I felt like, for some unknown reason, I had a target on my chest. I 'just' come in here to share, gain input, maybe learn something, and 'just' have a good clean time on the net. I come in here to give my 2 cents worth and guys like Swifty and VarmintGuy attack me, and accuse me of saying things I NEVER said. Guess it is all up to their interpretations. Such is life. I can't control that. I didn't think I was being that ambiguous..
I'm not a wealthy man either. I'm 'just' a retired school teacher on a fixed income. I would hate to spend the money to replace a barrel too, but I'd do it because, I too, 'just' love shooting. Boy, it appears that the word 'just' just may be one of my favorite words. haha.
I appreciate your response. You sound like a stand-up gentleman who is very much on the same page as I. Sounds like you and I are speaking the same language. Thanks again for your understanding.
Regards to you Sir,
Hunter01

Shoulda just left me outta it as I stopped. But, Your data from Speer #5 is 47 + years old, and obsolete, and you started it by cussing. Oh well. All I will say is that if azzholes and Idiots were like flowers, You would be in full Bloom on both counts.
[Linked Image]

Swifty
Posted By: tkofoid Re: loads for 220 Swift - 03/09/11
Hey now.(all of us) settle down,already! (white flag ,high in the air)
If this conversation had taken place at the local coffee shop,none of this would have surfaced. The one thing I have noticed in e-mails and forums is that statements can very easily be taken out of context. Written words are many times misinterpreted. In my business, if I feel I need to get a special point across to the owners or constituants, I phone them or wait for that coffee table discussion,,,exactly for that very reason. We are good guys sharing the same sport. I definitely have to have at my disposal the unhappy face with the finger that Swifty posted..I love it,,,,Sometimes it could be useful as in this case. It surely caught my attention.
© 24hourcampfire