Home
I've got a Ruger Mk II 223 with the 16.5" barrel, it absolutely loves the Hornady factory loads with the 40 grain moly coated v-maxes. Any powder recommendations to try and duplicate that load? Loaded a few tonight with Benchmark as my other 223's love it, but they've all got 22" barrels.

Thanks.
about 21.5-22.5gr of H4198
Originally Posted by keeki

+1 Either IMR or H-4198 put a 40 V Max at or close to the lands and work up toward max.
My first thought would be H4198 as well. H322 might not be too bad either if you have it.
Benchmark or Varget don't need a faster burning powder for the shorter barrel.
Another powder to try with 40 gr bullets in the .223 is Accurate 2015 maximum charge between 25.5 gr and 27 gr depending on source (and your particular rifle). I have loaded up to 27 gr in my 700 SPS varmint but primers are a little flat. Work up carefully. Ramshot Exterminator or Accurate 2230 would be others to consider trying.
I've been happy with H-322 and the 40 gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip. I used to use H-335, but went with H-322 for its temp tolerance for AZ prairie dog shoots in the summer. 24.5 gr of H-322 gives me the best accuracy in my rifles.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
RL 7...

just a hair slower than 4198, but more accurate in my experience..

I've been playing with Alliants new AR Comp powder in the 223, 204, 22.250 and 243 so far...

it is really giving some super velocity potential... plus it has made some accurate barrels even MORE accurate....
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Benchmark or Varget don't need a faster burning powder for the shorter barrel.

+1
A lot of Varget and Benchmark has been fired through 16.5" AR barrels. I presently run both in my BushMaster 16.5".
Yep, it's a myth that shorter barrels do better with faster-burning powders.

I load Ramshot TAC, Benchmark or Varget in all my .223's, depending on the bullet weight. The rifles have barrels from 16.5" to 26" long, and all work great with basically the same loads. In the 16.5" barrel 28.0 grains of TAC shoots 40-grain bullets into much less than an inch at almost 3500 fps.
I've got a CZ527 and the wife has a Mark X in 223, both of those rifles shoot the same load of a 50 gr Ballistic Tip over Benchmark into 1/2" to 3/4" easily. Shoved a few in the Ruger last week for grins and it barely holds them in a 3" circle.

Sometimes things just can't be that simple.
Yeah, but you can't get enough Varget in the typical case without either swirl-charging or crunching it more than I would want.
And it IS definitely louder in my experience to go with a slower powder than a fast one that is coming off the curve when the bullet exits.
I suppose TAC would work pretty good, as it's more compact, so would X Terminator.
Of course, we could just blow all this out of the water by using Blue Dot....
Don't neglect giving RL 10-X a try; I've been running it in my varmint AR's using 40 grain V-Max and Blitz molys for the last few years with very good results.
Dave,

Varget isn't all that great in the .223 until the bullets are over 60 grains. Or at least that's my experience.
It's real good with a 65 grain Sierra GK!
And the 68-grain Hornady BTHP!
That's been exactly my experience, MD. I had good luck with VG with the original long-throated pipe on my Savage, 55's sat out far enough. Then Fred Moreo cut me a new tube with the shortest reamer he had, and my pet load wasn't a pet any more. It was in that mystery zone. If I swirled like Mic McP says, it worked, but dumping and running did not, and I didn't have the patience for swirling....
My most accurate load in both tubes has been Varget under HDY 60VMs, the pet for coyotes and paper betting.
For 50s, I go with H4895 -- I'm thinking evil thoughts about TAC for 55s, but the 50s do so well I don't feel the "craving."
Toss-Up : H322 , AA2015 , V133 .
you must never have tried VVN130
W748 & 40 g vmax.
I've used X-Terminator and TAC with the 40's in my 16" AR. Both gave excellent results.

Travis
I would stay with the Benchmark or else H335. Varget is a little slow with 40 gr bullets in my experience although it could be the most accurate?
whelennut
H4198 or RL7
Just tried 27.5 gr. of Tac behind a 40gr. V-Max in my AR. Put 4 into just under 1/2 inch, with one called flier at 1". Still need to get a chrono reading.
rl-10x
Originally Posted by keeki

+1

R#7 also works well!
Thanks to all for the responses.

Still playing with the Benchmark, if for nothing else to keep it simple and use one powder in my 223's.

Haven't tried H4198 yet, and the store was out of TAC last week so I picked up a can of H335. Even with the starting load of 335, the muzzle blast was horrible compared to max loads of Benchmark. So bad in fact that I didn't fire any of the heavier charges I had loaded. For those that recommend 335, have you shot it out of a short barrel?

Thanks.
Yes, H335 tends to give more muzzle blast. Try it at night for quite the fun fire ball!

I'd give 4198 a try if it were me (if Benchmark doesn't work). You get top-notch velocities but get to shoot 5 grains less powder or so when working with 40 grainers.
I've got the Ruger compact rifle with the 16.5 barrel. Some of the first reloads I ran through it were loaded with H335 and yes, I had beach ball sized muzzle flashes. Now I'm running the 40 gr Vmax with 11.8 gr of Blue Dot (1cc Lee dipper scoop).
The load is surprisingly accurate and you can shoot it without your muffs on if you have to without ringing your ears. It's running right around 3000 fps.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I've got the Ruger compact rifle with the 16.5 barrel. Some of the first reloads I ran through it were loaded with H335 and yes, I had beach ball sized muzzle flashes. Now I'm running the 40 gr Vmax with 11.8 gr of Blue Dot (1cc Lee dipper scoop).
The load is surprisingly accurate and you can shoot it without your muffs on if you have to without ringing your ears. It's running right around 3000 fps.

I'm using a little more than your load at 3200 fps.
© 24hourcampfire