Home
Posted By: QwackerWacker Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
I'm new to the AR platform and was wondering what is the cleanest burning powder for 223 with 55gr pills
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
Cleanest? I don't know for sure, but I know that I'd shoot Varget all day in mine and it looked just fine.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
TAC. Very accurate and clean at the top end, and has worked very well in all of my .223 Rem rifles.
Posted By: Earl48 Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
CFE223 is very clean.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
Another vote for TAC. Varget is pretty good as well. I haven't tried CFE223 or AR Comp yet, but am going to soon.
Posted By: HalH Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
Tac is also a very stable powder , temperature wise.

Hal
Thank's! I've got a little varget so I'll try that first.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
I run TAC and Benchmark in the 223. For me, Benchmark seems a little cleaner and slightly more accurate in my guns with 50 gr. V-Maxs and TNTs
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/19/12
While not in an AR, I've shot TAC in 223, 300 Savage, and 308 and it is damn clean burning.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/20/12
I'm not sure if it's the cleanest but I like benchmark.

Bb
Posted By: BarryC Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/20/12
You are going to get different opinions on this, I know. But for me, Varget has been extremely clean. Two patches after an 80 shot match is all it takes. TAC, on the other hand, has been one of the filthiest powders I have ever seen, it's like sludge.
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/20/12
IME, Tac and Exterminator for that matter, need to be run on the high side of the scale to get the cleanest burn. I use Ext for 50gr bullets in my AR and TAC for anything heavier. Ext and 50gr vmax will out shoot most of my bolt guns.Consistent 1 ragged hole groups. Clean after 100 rds with naked bullets.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/20/12
Originally Posted by BarryC
TAC, on the other hand, has been one of the filthiest powders I have ever seen, it's like sludge.

LOL!!!!
TAC, on the other hand, has been one of the filthiest powders I have ever seen, it's like sludge.

Methinks you need to increase the pressure a bit.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/20/12
Another TAC user in my AR.

Travis
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/21/12
I often hear about how TAC burns dirty or isn't accurste, but invariably the load was on the light side.

ALL powders burn cleaner at their designed pressure--but some burn cleaner than others.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/21/12
TAC loves it when you mash the pedal!

I don't stand on the gas with many loads in my rigs, but it's hard not to with TAC.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/21/12
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Methinks you need to increase the pressure a bit.

Should I leave it where it pierces primers?

I stand by my original statement.
Posted By: C_J_S Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/23/12
I used to use Varget and it shot well then someone recommended RL-15 to me and I love it. Getting better groups, and a few more fps out of them.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Cleanest powder for AR - 04/23/12
Ramshot Tac and Hod CFE223
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Benchmark in the 223. For me, Benchmark seems a little cleaner and slightly more accurate in my guns with 50 gr. V-Maxs and TNTs

I agree Benchmark is very clean and the new IMR 8208 is very clean with the lighter bullets also, dont use Varget until you get to the heavies.
© 24hourcampfire