Home
Does anyone have a "secret" or "standard" load for Varget in the 223 with 50 to 60 grain bullets?

I would like to have one standard loading weight of Varget that I can simply use for any bullet in the 50-60 grain weight range. Need safe pressures and accuracy. A gold-standard load, if you will.
In my opinion, it doesn't exist. Not trying to be smart but a powder charge that gives best velocity and accuracy with a 50 grain bullet will likely be way too hot for a 60 gr. Optimum charge weights can vary even with different bullets of the same weight.
MY rifle prefers 60 grain(1-9"),with a load of [email protected] grains it is a sweet shooter. I don't have much use for the 50gr,but do shoot 55 grain once in a while to knock down my supply of BT's,so I can buy more Hornadys.....
For 50-55gr bullets just fill the case level to the mouth with Varget. That's 27gr. For 60gr bullets, I cut it back a grain to 26.

Thanks, that's about what I figured. There's no way to overcharge a 223 using Varget.

Anybody got a secret accuracy load???
55 grainers get 26.5 grs. Varget. Sierra 53 gr. MatchKings work very well, as do the 55 gr. GameKings.
60s get 26 grs. Varget. One of the "best" loads I've found is 24.5 grs. Varget under a 69 gr. Sierra MatchKing. It's not max, but it runs 2910 ft/sec. from a 26 inch barrel...scary accurate if your rifle likes them.
Ditto on the 55gr SGKs with 26.5gr Varget.
My pet of pets is 26.1 grains VG under 60 VMs. Firm, but really accurate.
I used to have a pet load at 55, that was 26.8 grains, but I got a new barrel with a shorter throat and I am at the voodoo zone with variable powder compression. It still worked if I swirl charged, but I want to pump and dump. That's why I have a progressive press, after all.
© 24hourcampfire