Home
Posted By: action Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/10/12
I have two factory varmint rifles, Weatherby Super Varmint Master and Ruger 77 VT. The Ruger has a free floated barrel while the Weatherby does not; it has contact points about 2" down from the muzzle. Both rifles are neck and neck in the accuracy department, 5/8" five shot groups at 100 yds. Would the Weatherby be more accurate if it did not have the contact points and was free floated?.
thanks
Posted By: barm Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/10/12
It may be more accurate free floated. Do you notice point of impact changes with the change of seasons or stringing when you shoot? If you are shooting 5/8" five shot groups, I would leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/12/12
That Weatherby shoots pretty well, but with a little work, you should be able to open the groups up by nearly an inch or so. smile
Posted By: cobrad Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/13/12
I'll jump in on this one, and agree with what has already been said. 5/8" out of a factory gun is exceptional. I would not mess with it.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/13/12
Action: I have several Ruger 77 Varmint Rifles including ones in 220 Swift (2 of these), 22 PPC, 204 Ruger (2 of these), 243 Winchester, 223 Remington and 25/06 Remington and in the past I have quit load development once these Rifles got near the accuracy you have attained.
I have not owned a Weatherby "Super Varmint Master" to date so can't comment on their accuracy but in a broader sense once you have attained 5 shot groups measuring 5/8" then its time for you to go Varmint Hunting.
You did not mention which calibers your Rifles are in but again if they are shooting that well - be happy!
Over the last 4 1/2 decades of chasing accuracy in Varmint Rifles I have had both good and poor performance in Rifles that had non-free floated barrels.
I bet I have improved accuracy on at least 10 Varminters that had "stock contact points" on their barrels.
Then I have had probably 2 dozen that shot fine with contact points.
I can not specifically remember a Varminter that LOST accuracy once I free floated it?
Those contact points are hard to get back once they are removed though - so I vote for leaving them as is.
I own a beautiful little Weatherby MarkV sporter in 224 Weatherby and its barrel is "non-floating" - it does not shoot as well as your Weatherby but is close.
I leave it alone and just bonk a Fox with it from time to time.
Best of luck with what ever you decide to do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by action
I have two factory varmint rifles, Weatherby Super Varmint Master and Ruger 77 VT. The Ruger has a free floated barrel while the Weatherby does not; it has contact points about 2" down from the muzzle. Both rifles are neck and neck in the accuracy department, 5/8" five shot groups at 100 yds. Would the Weatherby be more accurate if it did not have the contact points and was free floated?.
thanks

I've had a Weatherby Super Predator Master in 22-250 for 10 years. It shoots <2" groups at 200 meters with the right load. Mine has that contact point you mentioned too. It's the aluminum bedding block in the stock. Best to leave it alone. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by action
thanks

I'd float it.

Travis
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/13/12
You and the Bears can GFY.
Thanks friend.

Travis
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/13/12
Seriously, Action, I'd be very leery of altering a rifle that shot that well. If it ever loses that 5/8" ability, then I'd play with it. But that's the accuracy many of us strive for, and you already have it!
I had a rifle that shot wonderfully with everything. Then I decided to float it, and it shot more wonderfully'er.

So again, I'd float it.

Travis
If a rifle is shooting 5/8 with stock bedding points, that always leaves me wondering how it would shoot properly floated...a screamer or not?
If you are absolutely NOT curious if you have the awesomest rifle ever in the universe, then leave it alone.
But the honest truth is, the only bedded barrels I've ever had shoot better bedded than floated were flyweight sporters or military surplus of marginal quality and/or unknown origin. Everything else shot better with a proper action bedding and a barrel float. Not once, with the exceptions noted above, has a rifle of mine ever shot worse than in factory condition after doing the usual gun voodoo.
Rifles like yours, with so much "potential" showing in factory form, can be the rifle of a lifetime.
Up to you, I guess.
Posted By: deflave Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/14/12
You can also elevate the barreled action with a piece of credit card placed under the receiver. See how she shoots and go from there.

Travis
Posted By: boomtube Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/21/12
If barrel floating had any certainty of accuracy the manufactors would do it, floating is cheaper than pressure point bedding.
Posted By: AaroninMT Re: Factory Varmint Rifles - 11/23/12
I think most major manufacturers put pressure points in the stocks so the barrel channels are even. If the stock has an easily bent fore end I would float it. If the pressure points mar the finish of the barrel unevenly, I would float it. Otherwise, I would be happy with that accuracy.
© 24hourcampfire