Home
Posted By: JoeMama V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/04/12
Hello all:

A friend at work wants to start reloading. He has an AR in 223 and he is very clear that he wants to reload 55gr bullets.

The 223 is not my passion.

Does an AR knock them around so much that it knocks out the tips?
Is there any significant difference between the VM and the BK?

"Muzzle velocity is a rapidly depreciating asset while a high BC is an asset that pays dividends all the way to the target."
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/04/12
FWIW, I do not shoot them in an AR, but use the V-Max exclusively in my varmint rigs. I get more explosive results using them, as compared to the BlitzKing or Nosler.
Posted By: DocEd Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/04/12
Not used in AR platform but, in my 20/222 Rem and my 20 PPC, the 32 Gr. Blitz Kings out shot the V-Maxes by a considerable margin.
Posted By: venatic Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/05/12
You won't have any issues with either in an AR try both and see which it like best and go with it.
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/05/12
My rifle can't really tell the difference between the two.... my wallet can.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/05/12
I've shot thousands of plastic-tipped bullest through AR-15's and have yet to encounter a problem.

I've found V-Maxes a little more explosive on varmints than Blitzkings, but the difference ain't much. The Nosler Varmageddons are also quite explosive, more so than Ballistic Tips, and very accurate.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/05/12
I'd thump a deer with the Ballistic tip.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/05/12
Both will probably feed better. The question is whether the AR is accurate enough to make it worth spending the dinero on either. In my experience, the VM's are the best value, but the BK's have better final accuracy. Not much, but noticeable in a good rifle. But the tips are not an issue in the way you ask. The real question is whether the rifle can capitalize on the goodness from either compared to a humdrum 55 softpoint.
I guess that's why we handload -- TO FIND OUT!
Have fun.
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/05/12
The Zombie-max bullets are the same as the V-Maxs - just a different colored tip - and can be found on sale for much less at times. I have obtained pretty equal performance from Ballistic Tips, V-Maxs and Blitzkings. Due to price, I usually go with BTs or V-Maxs, given the volume I shoot at prairie dogs.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/06/12
My "go-to" load for the .223 uses a 50 grain V-max. A friend suggested I try the Z-maxes, and I loaded up some 50 grain Z-maxes with the exact same other components and specs as my normal V-max load. Groups were about 1/4" to 3/8" larger with the Z-maxes. I am not sure, but there must be SOME difference to explain the lower price of the Z-maxes, and whatever it is, my rifle doesn't like it with that load!
Posted By: JoeMama Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/07/12
Is there any reason to believe that one of these will be in production longer than the other?

Knowing what I know about Rick (the guy at work), he will be using the same component set 15 years from now if they are still available.

So is the V-Max a "bigger" seller than the Blitzking?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/07/12
Karl Rove predicts the V-Max will be around longer, Dick Morris thinks it will be the Blitzking.

Thinking I'd pick one and run with it. Who the hell knows what is happening in 15 years.
Posted By: troutslayer Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/07/12
LOL!! Good one Steelhead.
Posted By: rockchuck828 Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/08/12
Originally Posted by JoeMama
Is there any reason to believe that one of these will be in production longer than the other?

After reading this I thought this is the most stupid post ever......I woke up and realized dannnnmmmmg.....just close
Posted By: hoytshooter Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/08/12
my go to varmint bullet is a sierra blitzking. they are like little grenades. the bks have always shot better than vmaxes for me and been way more explosive.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/09/12
BK's
Posted By: czsharpshooter Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/10/12
v-maxes
Posted By: JAP Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/14/12
Haven't used Vmaxes in years. Had problems with the tips falling off and poor accuracy.
Posted By: GHD Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/17/12
SPEER= decent accuracy and killing ability. SIERRA = ACCURACY and great killing ability. HORNADY = pretty darn good accuracy and the most "blood and guts" for the money!! I shoot a lot of SIERRA BLITZKINGS. I shoot a lot of HORNADY VMAX's. SIERRA has always been known for their accuracy from even 40 years ago! Hornady has always been known for their "blood and guts" wIth acceptable accuracy from 40 years ago+. Speer is an also ran. When Ray Speer quit making his GOLD MATCH offerings in the mid-70s, they became just another bullet maker. The Bergers, Barnes, whomever are Johnny come lateleys who offer nothing more than hype and high prices!! If looking for affordable, accurate projectiles, look to SIERRA and HORNADY to provide them!! GHD
Posted By: 79inpa Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/20/12
My deuce seems to like the slightly cheaper 40 grain v max
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/26/12
Any significant difference between the VM and the BK?

Yep cost.

But now I'm shooting the Z-Max and they shoot just as well and are cheaper than both of the above and just as explosive.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 12/26/12
both great bullets. v maxes are usually much cheaper. so i use them most..
Posted By: littlebass Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 01/08/13
Thought I read somewhere that the Zmax has an even thinner jacket than the Vmax. Can't confirm that and never bought any Z's. Vmax have always been accurate and very deadly on yote, fox, and bobcat. Pretty tough on the fur though. The BK's are accurate in my 204 and 223 but can never find them in stock at my local joints and seem to always be on backorder online.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 01/08/13
Often times when panic buying is out of the picture, backorders are telling you something about that bullet.....
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: V-Max vs. Blitzking - 01/08/13
Given the Vmax is cheaper -

I try both and if the Vmax has as good of accuracy as the BK I use them.

If not I use the BK's - this results in BK's in guns that like bullet weights not available in the Vmax
© 24hourcampfire