Home
Aloha

I have a pile of Rainier 110 gn RN bullets that I'd like to load for a my Winchester 30-30. Anyone have experience doing this?

Can't seem to find a recipe for a plated bullet of this size. I'm thinking a pistol powder like Unique or 2400 may work but am not certain.

Thanks much.
I've loaded those kind of bullets for kids to shoot in 30/30s...

I've used Unique, Blue Dot, SR 4759...and several others...

SR 4759 was the most accurate...

8 to 10 grains of Unique, turned the 30/30 into a recoiling monster similar to a giant spitball gun... with the recoil of Grandpa spitting while chewing his chewing tobacco...

the kids sure loved shooting them and loved shooting a lever action, just like cowboys on TV...
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've loaded those kind of bullets for kids to shoot in 30/30s...

I've used Unique, Blue Dot, SR 4759...and several others...

SR 4759 was the most accurate...

8 to 10 grains of Unique, turned the 30/30 into a recoiling monster similar to a giant spitball gun... with the recoil of Grandpa spitting while chewing his chewing tobacco...

the kids sure loved shooting them and loved shooting a lever action, just like cowboys on TV...
'Twould that Unique load work for jacketed/half-jacketed bullets of the same weight? I have 1.5 boxes of them I got on a trade...
I use load data from Cast Bullet manuals...and shoot jacketed bullets instead all the time.. in a lot of calibers... especially for taking kids out to shoot for their first time... I even let the boys load the bullets on the reload bench, which adds to the thrill for them when they pull the trigger...

like any other reloading, just start at a lower point and work up...

most of these cast bullet loads are waaaay below pressures for jacketed bullets... you just don't want a bullet to go too slow that it gets stuck in the barrel...

anything over a 1000 fps is more than adequate...

a lot of these Unique loads are duplicating pistol loads, but out of a rifle...
Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire