Home
Posted By: Bryant H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
If I work up a max load for my 223 ai with 75 amax and 335 in 50 degree weather is it likely to be too hot (high pressure) in 95 degree weather?
Posted By: keith Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
Here is what we have done for 30 years with ball powders,

Load development is as follows:

load one shot and one shot only, increase your powder charge .5g at a time. Fire and check for pressure signs.

Keep going up until you find pressure and stop.

Back off 2.0g and now shoot three shot groups, looking for a group where all the bullets are touching or smaller group.

When you find the most accurate powder charge, you can play with primer choice and/or alter seating depth.

Bryant, your question can only be answered by you with your specific barrel with the components that you have on hand. If you load the 75g read hot at 50*, then go to 95*, you might have slight pressure increase. Don't let your ammo cook in the sunlight at 95* either.

H335 is the mack daddy with your AI.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
No intent to dispute our buddy Keith here...but H 335 is one powder I have a real respect for, when it comes to LACK of temp insensitivity....

it can pressure spike like no tomorrow...

it is one powder I won't use in 223s or anything else... even tho I know tons of people swear by it.. I swear at it...

I had experienced twice where a load of 25 grains with a 55 grain bullet, blew up, and messed up the gun, screwing up the stock...and needing repairs to the action...

I don't trust it when the outside temp heats up... and I also don't like how much "flash" it can produce.... shoot a round with it at night and get a load of the fireball it produces...

I don't want to be shooting that prone on dry grass while out varmint shooting...

I know it is hard to find powder, but so many powders work well in a 223, I'd look elsewhere...

No slam meant there Keith.... just reflecting my experiences and they were not positive...
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
I have had undesirable situations arise when using max 335 loads on hot days. I still use it from time to time as it was my baseline powder. For the most part I now use Benchmark. Close enough to my baseline load, and no problems on hot days.
Originally Posted by Bryant
If I work up a max load for my 223 ai with 75 amax and 335 in 50 degree weather is it likely to be too hot (high pressure) in 95 degree weather?

Yes.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yes.

+1 most of the older ball powders were temp sensitive and H335 is no exception. It is not ridiculous like BL-C(2) and H380 but 45 degrees will make quite a difference.
A powder in this relative burn rate that I absolutely love is IMR8208XBR, it is as temp stable as they come and MUCH cleaner burning.

with 75grainers you might want to try Varget
Originally Posted by boatanchor

with 75grainers you might want to try Varget

Yep, had much better luck with powders like Varget, RE-15, and H4895 with 75s in the 223 and 223 AI.
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
^^^^

That..

I have had repeated episodes of excessive pressure from H335, and will not use it any longer. EVERY episode was caused by putting a cartridge in the chamber of an already hot gun, as would be done a couple hundred times a day on a PD town�
Since I do a lot of that kind of shooting, H335 is out�

In the 223AI hunting rifle ( by hunting, I mean deer and antelope..) when only a shot at a time is fired on a given day, or evening. H335 is a viable powder, but still not the first choice.

I hope stick reads this�.he will be banging his head against the wall�.. grin
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/22/14
Damn skippy, I've used several tons (slight exaggeration)of it through a .223 w/o a problem. I don't try to motor any of my rifles at top end and I don't let my ammo for any rifle lay around in the sun and, when I'm on a Pdog town, I try to monitor my barrel heat and switch rifles fairly often.
I once laid two rounds of 22-250 ammo in the sun for 5 minutes. It was summer time a pretty hot. Both primers popped when I fired the rounds. Two other rounds--same load, brass, etc-- were laid out on the same bench but covered with a cloth. Both fired w/o a problem and exhibited no pressure signs. The 22-250s were loaded with that bad, old H380 when has been used for years and years and only recently did we learn that it was a bomb walking.
And, fwiw, I've never damaged any rifle with a powder charge that was considered safe in the load books. I would suspect that other factors were in play.
Posted By: Bryant Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/23/14
Thanks, lots of good info. I just picked up two cans of 335 because some say it the cats meow in 223 ai.

The gun is a 21 in. Barrel 700 my first custom or semi custom rifle. I have shot some good (a few great) groups with 8208 xbr and 77 smk and 75 amax but I have not gotten the vel. I was looking for and accuracy together.

Using rem 7 1/2 primers mostly. Have used som win primers but the seem to show pressure sooner. Getting some cratered firing pin strikes. I guess it could be a high pressure sign or it could be that my bolt has sloppy pin to hole fit?

Wish I had some cci 450's

Hoping to get near 3000 fps and little bitty groups. I have gotten some sub 1/2 Moa groups but slow velosity. Trying to find the combo to get me to the next "node" with out being to hot. Hope that makes sence.

I've been hand loading 5 years but just got my first crony so now I'm chasing vel. And accuracy for better or worse.

You know who swears by 335 and 75's but he lives way up north and probably does not get the heat issues much.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/23/14
I'd upgrade to powders in the RL 15, H 4895, IMR 4895, Varget burn rate range if you are trying to put out 3000 fps...

curiously, what are you getting and why do you feel it needs to be 3000? accuracy should be the key desire and then when you have a bullet with a good BC, for longer range, 100 fps slower or so can be compensation by a click or two on the elevation knob pretty easily... the extra fps with the faster velocity isn't going to kill anything any better...

you'll get over that chasing velocity thing with the chrony eventually...we all did...
2900 will do just fine I'm sure. But I just can't help but try. grin
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/23/14
I have chased the velocity dragon more than a few times. Sad to say that the cost more than outweighed the benefits and gain. Accuracy is now #1 even if it means a loss of a little velocity.
Wish you luck on finding that next node. I did, but at the cost of ruining a very good tube.

Beeman, yep 380 is finicky, but my 250 and my Swift love the stuff so I still buy it in 8 pound jugs. Just have to know when to back off just like 335.

Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/23/14
2900 will do just fine I'm sure. But I just can't help but try. grin

was checking some of my notes...if you have or can run down any H 322, 23.5 grains of it in a 223 is listed as 2980 something fps according to Hornady load data... guess you could fudge a 1/10 or two to make up the difference...

Swifty, I admit not to running H 380 in the 22.250, but with heavier bullets in the 223, I have had good luck with it, and it runs lower pressure.. It is my GoTo powder for the 223 with a 70 grain Speer...a combo I have been known to use, to wack a blacktail or three with..
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/23/14
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I have chased the velocity dragon more than a few times. Sad to say that the cost more than outweighed the benefits and gain. Accuracy is now #1 even if it means a loss of a little velocity.

Wisdom for the ages here�.
Yep on accuracy. Hit slow or miss fast, I'll go for the hit.

By the way, Br, you could do yourself a favor giving TAC a try. I've worked up several "other people's" rigs with the stuff and it's easy cheesy to work with. Good enough that if I keep not being able to find H-4895, and a jug of TAC magically appears, it will be mine.
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/23/14
+1 on TAC�JB turned me on to it years ago...
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
Bryant: Maybe YOU should work up your H 335 loads on a 95 degree day and make sure they are safe in your Rifle?
I have been using H 335 in 223 Remington Rifles since 1966 and have as yet to encounter my first "problem" while using it!
Thats 48 years of useage so far!
I love H 335 and use it in other Varmint calibers as well.
The hottest day I ever remember shooting H 335 in one of my 223's was a day that got to 102 degrees while Prairie Doggin out of Pierre, South Dakota.
Again, NO problems.
I am currently loading for and Hunting with 14 (fourteen) different Varmint guns in caliber 223 Remington - 5 (five) of them prefer H 335 powder!
IF.. there was a proven threat to me or my guns with this powder I sure as heck would NOT be using it - I have no monetary allegiance or affiliation with it.
In addition to my experience I have given my favorite H 335 223 load to at least a dozen of my friends over the years and I have as yet to hear a complaint from any of them.
I simply shake my head at the reports I see from time to time of "problems" with H 335 - I have NEVER seen any firsthand.
I will say this "I" am a notorious "non-hotrodder" when it comes to my handloads. I "aim" for accuracy first and then applicable and useable velocities second - H 335 has sure served me well in those regards for going on half a century now.
Again I would do my load testing under similar conditions to the most extreme you can expect once afield - or use moderation and common sense to get where you want to be.
I have been getting such good reports from my friends regarding a somewhat new powder on the market for the 222/223 Remington family of cartridges - and that powder is CFE 223.
I have acquired two pounds of it and my latest acquired 223 Varminter is going to be tested with this powder soon - and I will do as I always do - USE CAUTION and foresight when assembling test loads.
Maybe CFE 223 would serve you well in your 223 A.I.?
IF.. temperature sensitivity is your main concern then might I suggest H 322 - it is an "Extreme Powder" and I obtain excellent accuracy in many Rifles with it.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Gibby Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
Yes. Just yes!
Dump all your H335 out on your best-friend's sidewalk in the shape of a giant dick. Light it on fire and run away.

This will be the best use of that dirty azzed old powder. Also works well with H380.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
I've been liking the accuracy and velocity I've been getting out of my 223s with H 322.. it doesn't pressure spike either like H 335 does...
Posted By: EddyBo Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
I have never had an issue with 335 or 322 but I have never used a 223 for shooting prairie dogs.

I am really wanting to try some of the CFE223 powder hodgden came out with a year or so ago.
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
...pressure spikes... I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but how are you folks determining all of these "pressure spikes"?? What equipment are you using?
When you have a "pressure spike" do you end up with smoking shards of steel sticking out of your head or what? I've been reloading for a lot of years and to my knowledge, I've never had a "pressure spike".
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
...pressure spikes... I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but how are you folks determining all of these "pressure spikes"?? What equipment are you using?
When you have a "pressure spike" do you end up with smoking shards of steel sticking out of your head or what? I've been reloading for a lot of years and to my knowledge, I've never had a "pressure spike".

If you have ever shot a 30 round string with some powders the further you get into that string the more likely you are to have primers rupturing. Given the state of firing pin size to firing pin holes on rem 700s it is a wonder that we do not find more little circles of brass in our bolts. I have seen benchmark and BLC2 have what I assume to be pressure spikes when shooting long strings of fire. I do not know the mechanism causing the probable increased pressure other than temperature sensitivity. I really thought everyone would have experienced this at some point.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
Apparently some people never shoot more than one round before letting their barrel cool down.

As far as temperature sensitivity goes, a more accurate term might be temperature resistance. EVERY powder gains pressure (and velocity) at temperatures above 70, whether the heat is caused by ambient air or a hot barrel. But powders like Hodgdon's Extremes and some others don't gain as much.
I mostly agree with you on the extreme powders, except H1000. H1000 is considered one of their extreme powders isn't it? Varget has worked well for me as has Retumbo. I know H1000 is popular but I hate that crap.

The reason I assume that it is a lack temperature "resistance" causing the issue, is because I could think of other reasons, but they mostly do not pan out. I have considered increased fouling when shooting long strings, but I guess I should think horses when I hear hoofs instead of zebras.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/24/14
Eddy,
Kind of surprised about you saying Benchmark was spiking in your post as it is one of the extreme powders. Now I will admit that I am not running max with it but have shot it in 100 - 200 yard group and score matches in 90+ degree days. Haven't really noticed what I would call spiking as in the case of 335.

The problem with 335, and what I call undesirable effects was running max load in a group shoot, temps got to be around 98 and on the 3rd string for agg, 2nd shot I had a extremely hard bolt lift, and a fail to extract. My day was done.
I had shot this load in the same format before, but the temps were in the upper 50's to lower 60's and had no problems.
Thought I had screwed up some how until I ran a test the next day in the same weather and format. It wasn't me as it happened again. Lesson was learned.
I used to use a lot of H-335 as it was a great powder for accuracy in my .223s. After a couple of trips for prairie dogs in AZ, though, I switched to H-322. Accuracy was just as good and "temp resistance" was great. I'm gradually switching to TAC as I use up my stock of H-322.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
EddyBo,

What cartridge/bullet combos have you used H1000 in?

In general, temperature resistance "works" better when a powder is used in an application especially suited to its burn rate. Usually this means where the case is full or nearly full when full velocity potential AND pressure level are reached. I don't use a lot of H1000, but have had very good luck with it's temp-resistance in the 6.5-06 with heavier bullets, where the powder charges fit the criteria I just outlined. But I wouldn't expect it to act exactly the same way in the .264 Winchester Magnum with 140's.

Posted By: stillbeeman Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
The only time I've ever shot 30 round strings, I had little concern with popped primers nor "pressure spikes". Beyond that, I've never shot a 30 round string. Why would you shoot one? And, FWIW, anytime I'm shooting for score or practice, there is indeed a cooling period between rounds. I go by the old rule, if you can't pick the rifle up by the barrel with your bare hand, it's too hot.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
EddyBo,

What cartridge/bullet combos have you used H1000 in?

In general, temperature resistance "works" better when a powder is used in an application especially suited to its burn rate. Usually this means where the case is full or nearly full when full velocity potential AND pressure level are reached. I don't use a lot of H1000, but have had very good luck with it's temp-resistance in the 6.5-06 with heavier bullets, where the powder charges fit the criteria I just outlined. But I wouldn't expect it to act exactly the same way in the .264 Winchester Magnum with 140's.

338 Edge, 338 Rum, 300WM, 338 Lapua 7RUM tried it several times and several different lots. My issue was always groups would be spectacular one day, crap the next. I dunno if it was temp or humidity swings but something would bring it out of tune. I was also in the group of guys who got one of their fast lots of powder. Like having to back off 4 grains to get back in tune with just a change from one jug to the next. My issues left a bad taste in my mouth for H1000.
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
The only time I've ever shot 30 round strings, I had little concern with popped primers nor "pressure spikes". Beyond that, I've never shot a 30 round string. Why would you shoot one? And, FWIW, anytime I'm shooting for score or practice, there is indeed a cooling period between rounds. I go by the old rule, if you can't pick the rifle up by the barrel with your bare hand, it's too hot.

Why would anyone shoot a 30 shot string....I mean besides prairie dog shooting? Because it is a freakin blast. I have fireformed 100 cases in a very short span of time on numerous occasions just to reload them for a match the following day.
I have 2 benches in my shooting room. Often me and buddies will race trying to shoot those little light sticks in the dark at 800 yards with the light sticks hung from a string. There are no wagers, just doing it for the hell of it.
Most of us chamber our own barrels and look at barrels as consumables so we are not all that upset if we run a 40 shot string. Often times we are just shooting rechambered take off barrels.
I shot 500 rounds of 300 whisper just as quick as I could shoot them one afternoon just for the hell of it. I have a pic somewhere of a 60 shot sub MOA .223 group fired at 100 yards just as fast as I could shoot them. Was using 55gr bergers and benchmark, which is when I realized that even a very light load could cause popped primers. That would have been a 100 shot group if a piece of brass had not got into my bolt. (If I recall I sold a bunch of ammo with that same load to school marm here. He can probably verify that is is indeed a very light load) It was no big deal, while I had the bolt out I ran over to the shop and bushed the firing pin and went ahead and screwed on the replacement barrel I had already chambered, was just getting the last bit of good out of an old tube. That same 223 has been rebarreled twice more since then.
I have shot barrels so hot that high pressure grease that I use for assembly was smoking and running out around the recoil lug. I have however not seen a barrel glowing hot, but they would sizzle if touched. If I get a barrel that is not up to my expectations I usually shoot them out pretty quickly.
At one time I had a near inexhaustible supply of 66gr benchrest bullets that a buddy had given me. He also gave me about 40 lbs of old 8208 that was a little too slow for benchrest with a 6PPC. To top it off He gave me 6 old HV BR barrels that all had less than 1K rounds through them. I sure had a ball with those bullet and powder and barrels.
stilbeeman,

You would have an interesting time shooting prairie dogs. Even with 2-3 rifles on hand to rotate them when their barrels warm, there will be plenty of times you don't want to grab them by the barrel, especially on July days.

A friend and I were once shooting on a day around 100, and he set the forend of his walnut-stocked .22-250 on fire. No, it didn't starting flaming, but it did start smoking, and we had to use ice-water from a cooler to put it out. I've also seen thin-jacketed varmint bullets either disintegrate in the air (unusual), or their accuracy go to hell when the barrel got too warm (not all that unusual).

Have also seen rounds "cook off" in hot chambers, without benefit of a trigger pull. H335 is a good powder for that.
EddyBo,

It sure sounds like you got a wonky batch of H1000 that time!

It's always interesting when a certain lot of powder varies considerably from others. That's one of the reasons I'm not too fond of H335: In the early 90's, before I learned better, I loaded up some .223's with a long-used charge of H335 and some 50-grain Ballistic Tips.

Turned out the new batch was hot enough to gain almost 300 fps in velocity from the old one, and it popped a primer after three shots. I had to drop the charge 2 grains to match the previous velocity and make everything safe again, a 7% reduction in powder charge. Have never seen anything like that when changing lots of the "same" powder before or since.
A "fun" result of temp sensitive powders can sometimes be seen when shooting long range p-dogs on a hot day. Once the barrel is good and heated up, long distance shots can be seen to impact at different points depending on the time the round is left in the chamber prior to firing. Strangely enough, this doesn't seem to happen nearly as bad now that I quit the poopy powders.
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
stilbeeman,

You would have an interesting time shooting prairie dogs. Even with 2-3 rifles on hand to rotate them when their barrels warm, there will be plenty of times you don't want to grab them by the barrel, especially on July days.

A friend and I were once shooting on a day around 100, and he set the forend of his walnut-stocked .22-250 on fire. No, it didn't starting flaming, but it did start smoking, and we had to use ice-water from a cooler to put it out. I've also seen thin-jacketed varmint bullets either disintegrate in the air (unusual), or their accuracy go to hell when the barrel got too warm (not all that unusual).

Have also seen rounds "cook off" in hot chambers, without benefit of a trigger pull. H335 is a good powder for that.

Have seen-and done- all that Mule Deer mentions, plus I got a Remington so hot one day your couldn't touch the floor plate, and its aluminum. You also couldn't hit anything with it at that point, so it got a "time out" grin

And what John said about rotating guns to cool is a reality, we always take two+ rifles apiece if we anticipate good shooting .
Originally Posted by ingwe
stilbeeman,

Have seen-and done- all that Mule Deer mentions, plus I got a Remington so hot one day your couldn't touch the floor plate, and its aluminum. You also couldn't hit anything with it at that point, so it got a "time out" grin

And what John said about rotating guns to cool is a reality, we always take two+ rifles apiece if we anticipate good shooting .

I usually take about 4 or 5
Originally Posted by Seafire
No intent to dispute our buddy Keith here...but H 335 is one powder I have a real respect for, when it comes to LACK of temp insensitivity....

it can pressure spike like no tomorrow...

it is one powder I won't use in 223s or anything else... even tho I know tons of people swear by it.. I swear at it...

I had experienced twice where a load of 25 grains with a 55 grain bullet, blew up, and messed up the gun, screwing up the stock...and needing repairs to the action...

I don't trust it when the outside temp heats up... and I also don't like how much "flash" it can produce.... shoot a round with it at night and get a load of the fireball it produces...

I don't want to be shooting that prone on dry grass while out varmint shooting...

I know it is hard to find powder, but so many powders work well in a 223, I'd look elsewhere...

No slam meant there Keith.... just reflecting my experiences and they were not positive...

I highly respect both Keith and seafire here. I wish I would have known about the downfalls of H335 before I bought that damn 8 pound keg sick. I still use it in my .223 rem, but drop down to about 25.5 gr's for my 53 gr v-max loads. I haven't ran into any problems yet, but have heard the same thing seafire explains from other sources. So it's something to be mindful of.
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Wisdom for the ages here�.

I always shoot for the best accuracy. "Speed kills" only if you can put it in the right spot wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boomwack Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
Thank goodness I only have one pound of h335....

I'm running 27 gr. H335 with 50gr. pills and cci 450 caps. The load shoots very good from my Ruger bolt in mild temps 'jan-feb yote calling' with all of the obvious pressure signs normal. I have not put the load across the chrono yet but it likes to make one hole multiple shot groops. Its an upper end load so that makes me wonder...

Maybe I will leave those loads at home when the temps get hotter, in the summer sniping ground squirrels...
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
Good morning ALL...

I normally set up for sage rats, with a pair of 223s, and then a 22.250for the shots past 250 yds....and have a rimfire setting next to the truck tire, that is for those real close shots, that wears a 1.5 to 4 shotgun scope on top...

My shooting bench on those outings is the hood of my 88 4 Runner...

I alternate the 223s every 15 shots..... I figure that 90% of my shots are within 200 yds, so that is why I use light loads, either with Blue Dot or SR 4759.. less powder I burn, the longer it takes the barrel to heat up, and the quicker it will cool down not letting it get so hot...

with either powder, I have it figured out, that even shooting one rifle, 3 shots every 2 minutes, will allow me to shoot continuously for 5 or 6 hours straight if need be..

I usually limit my day to 500 to 600 shots.. even tho I can shoot more if I get out there early enough, by 5 or 6 hours, I am starting to get such a headache from scope squinting, that it takes even 800 mgs of Ibuprofen a while to make it all go away..
for that 125 to 150 mile drive home...

BSA don't know how you are liking the 53 V Max, but I have chosen to make that my standard bullet for this years varmint season.. running H 322, SR 4759 and Blue Dot, its giving some pretty accurate results in each of my 223s....but only the fast twist 22.250 will stabilize it tho...

its a long range shooter tho...with the lack of rain etc, I am betting there will be a lot of sage rats out there to get rid of this season....at least her in Oregon...
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
BSA nice shooting grin and very correct statement. 335 maybe? laugh
Originally Posted by boomwack
Thank goodness I only have one pound of h335....

I'm running 27 gr. H335 with 50gr. pills and cci 450 caps. The load shoots very good from my Ruger bolt in mild temps 'jan-feb yote calling' with all of the obvious pressure signs normal. I have not put the load across the chrono yet but it likes to make one hole multiple shot groops. Its an upper end load so that makes me wonder...

Maybe I will leave those loads at home when the temps get hotter, in the summer sniping ground squirrels...

This would be a wise decision IMO
Good morning ALL...

I normally set up for sage rats, with a pair of 223s, and then a 22.250for the shots past 250 yds....and have a rimfire setting next to the truck tire, that is for those real close shots, that wears a 1.5 to 4 shotgun scope on top...

My shooting bench on those outings is the hood of my 88 4 Runner...

I alternate the 223s every 15 shots..... I figure that 90% of my shots are within 200 yds, so that is why I use light loads, either with Blue Dot or SR 4759.. less powder I burn, the longer it takes the barrel to heat up, and the quicker it will cool down not letting it get so hot...

with either powder, I have it figured out, that even shooting one rifle, 3 shots every 2 minutes, will allow me to shoot continuously for 5 or 6 hours straight if need be..

I usually limit my day to 500 to 600 shots.. even tho I can shoot more if I get out there early enough, by 5 or 6 hours, I am starting to get such a headache from scope squinting, that it takes even 800 mgs of Ibuprofen a while to make it all go away..
for that 125 to 150 mile drive home...

BSA don't know how you are liking the 53 V Max, but I have chosen to make that my standard bullet for this years varmint season.. running H 322, SR 4759 and Blue Dot, its giving some pretty accurate results in each of my 223s....but only the fast twist 22.250 will stabilize it tho...

its a long range shooter tho...with the lack of rain etc, I am betting there will be a lot of sage rats out there to get rid of this season....at least her in Oregon...

I really like that 53gr v-max and my rifle likes it. I bought that 8 pound keg in Pendleton about 5 years ago and I don't shoot my .223 rem very often. I wish I had some tac or some of the newer temp stable powder instead. I keep a close eye on what the cases are doing and the report from the rifle and all seems good. I'll keep my fingers crossed until I burn up the last of this keg sick...That group I posted earlier is sub moa (.854") and shoots good in the wind etc....

This is how it shoots when the barrel starts warming up:
[Linked Image]
Seafire, hope all has been good with you.
Unfortunately the closest dog towns open for me are the rose bud, and pine ridge reservations.
That means a 250 mile 1 way trip, and with the price of gas anymore plus the fact that the res's have gone and upped the prices it makes for and expensive proposition. Also the fact that they banned handguns awhile back kinda spoiled going up there.
Never have tried the V-Max as I don't particularly like bullets that are dedicated to just a couple of my 5 22's. I tend to shoot more Sierras and Noslers than any thing else as they will stabilize and shoot very well in all of them.
Haven't tried any 322 yet, but did run across some 8208 XBR and am going to see how it compares to benchmark and 335 as tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50's and I need to get out of the house.
I will let you know how they compare on the chrony, and group size.

BSA, again nice shooting. congrats looks like you are dialed in just fine.

You all have a great day, gotta go change a water pump.

Posted By: keith No worries here Seafire! - 01/25/14
One thing that no one ever things about is how different various lot# of powder can be...that is another issue.

One thing that I did learn was that if the ammo is allowed to heat up in a hot car or truck, primers crater much more.

I learned that if I was going to go to a hot climate, then I would down load the powder about 1.0g from my load...this technique seems to cure a lot of ills...I credited this for not having any issues. We normally worked up our loads in 75* temps. I can remember my hunting partner and I stripping down to our shorts shooting p. dog in some isolated valley's in N. Wyoming it was so hot. The dog shooting was so great, we would dump out a box of 50 and fire as fast as we could load an acquire target. I learned to pull the trigger with my middle finger and not take my hand too far away from the bolt. I had a Rem 788 with 8 Magazines. I would shoot till I could no longer see through the scope, then grab another rifle. My load for that rifle was 26g of H335 with a 55g Win soft point. I also shot 27.5g of Win 748 with the 50g Sierra Blitz and 26.5g of 748 with the 55g Sierra Blitz, never any issues with them also.

At that time, my hunting partner and I shot around 24,000 to 26,000 rounds a year on dogs, j. rabbits, ground squirrels, and chucks. One thing we learned real fast was that H335 and Win 748/ do not have the deterrant of calcium carbonate in the powder that build up in the throat like AA2015 and H322. A powder ring can build up in the throat that is really tough to get out if your shot strings are too long. We learned to clean the 223's at 125 rounds when shooting H322 and AA2015, and could go 250 rounds with win 748 and H335.

You have to use some common sense when you are shooting an accuracy node at the very top end of the pressure curve. Letting rounds cook in your hot chamber...well, you will learn better sooner or later...or maybe you won't learn and just look for a more temp sensitive powder, then learn the lesson all over again. Letting your ammo cook in the sun...well...HERE'S YOUR SIGN!
I find the best way to keep from all these issues is to not load to the ragged edge. Leave some room at the top for potential issues. That, and every Remington 700 gets it's firing pin hole bushed. Had some serious issues there, especially with the newer rifles.
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
Thanks for all of the advice. I wisht I'd have had it before I went on numerous pdog shoots with 4 to 6 rifles.
As far as someone shooting 30 rounds as fast as he can pull the trigger, the only time I've seen that was a bunch of wannabes destroying phone books with their "platforms".
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/25/14
You oughta go on a good gopher shoot someday, a fast 30 rounds is often only the 'opening volley'! grin
Opening volley? Oh, I wish -- but I have had shooting good enough that strips of old towel and a spritzer bottle are a good thing.
I find the best way to keep from all these issues is to not load to the ragged edge. Leave some room at the top for potential issues. That, and every Remington 700 gets it's firing pin hole bushed. Had some serious issues there, especially with the newer rifles.

Use someone other than Bubba to bush firing pins. Those little voids caused by cutting through the plug threads are a pet peeve of mine. If they would use a tapered head screw as their plug and cut a small matching taper in the bolt face they will face off perfectly flat.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/26/14
You oughta go on a good gopher shoot someday, a fast 30 rounds is often only the 'opening volley'! grin

Unless I am using a 10/22 ( which is rare), then regardless of how much a target rich environment I may be looking at...I'm of the bolt action single shooting crowd....

call me patient.... whistle
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/26/14
You've never had seething hordes of Varmint Cong breach your perimeter then!
Originally Posted by EddyBo

Use someone other than Bubba to bush firing pins. Those little voids caused by cutting through the plug threads are a pet peeve of mine. If they would use a tapered head screw as their plug and cut a small matching taper in the bolt face they will face off perfectly flat.

Greg Tannel does mine. Have been quite happy with the results.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/26/14

Sure I have... they just don't intimidate me...

you Montana boys just need to grow a pair... whistle

grin

Besides, I am not into bang flop on varmints... I am highly into the red mist factor.. and I want to enjoy watching each one do so... or the other thing I like is to hone my skills on hitting them just right, to make them go airborne just right...

that is why I love Shrapnel's pics of the exploding prairie dog or the digital disappearing crow...

bang flop is for deer hunting... explosions and red mist is for "real men" varmint 'hunting'...but you Montana boys understand that, unless you are freaking out over your "perimeter"....

now if we could just legalize Democrats under the heading of varminting.. and get a permit with no bag limit...

Sure I have... they just don't intimidate me...

you Montana boys just need to grow a pair... whistle

grin

Why do you think we shoot from the truck so much?

It ain't safe out there! eek

And besides, theres plenty of time for 'finesse' shooting after they throw the first few 'waves' at you��

Until then, high body count trumps style grin
I thought that was why a fellow always carried grenades or a bloop gun - to halt ravenous hordes of Varmint Cong.
We carry those too, and if we can set up in the AO before dawn, we set out a perimeter of claymores grin
Something tells me the next shoot will have VC wind flags -- red, blue with the yellow star in case you boys have forgotten.
Posted By: Seafire Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/27/14
Its just a question of styles...

I have to admit, I either need to start reloading them, and quit wishing they were as cheap still as they were back in Minnesota...

on those rushing the perimeter to close....I bet a 410 would be a fun thing to have for such occasions...I need to pull out that old Savage Model 24 I inherited from my granddad when he passed away back in 1968....
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/27/14
her are various styles. On one PD shoot a buddy and I decided to use rimfire and centerfire handgun and rifle rounds, plus shotguns. They all worked.

Then there's the "start as small as possible so you don't startle the dumb ones" tactic, beginning with sub-sonic .22's and progressing through various .17's, then working up from the .22 centerfires to long-range 6.5's and 7mm's to, eventually, various .30-.50 calibers.

Whatever works.
her are various styles. On one PD shoot a buddy and I decided to use rimfire and centerfire handgun and rifle rounds, plus shotguns. They all worked.

Then there's the "start as small as possible so you don't startle the dumb ones" tactic, beginning with sub-sonic .22's and progressing through various .17's, then working up from the .22 centerfires to long-range 6.5's and 7mm's to, eventually, various .30-.50 calibers.

Whatever works.

I gotta say, I love your style.
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/27/14

My personal fave��. grin
Posted By: hunting1 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 01/29/14
I have tried t get away from it but it just shoots so well in my Ar's with 25-grs and 55-pills. I have shot here at 5500' from 30's to 90's and never had any issues. Since I have 8-lb kegs hopefully I got the ones that behave or at least until TAC shows up again...........
It shoots high when I get to Montana. But just about all powders I have tried do..
I try to give my loads a test in the warmest weather possible.. In th pacific nw. It is somtime hard to find a day over 80 deg. So I load a tad light for Montana.
I also don't give much thought to the most accurate load at 40 or50 degree as at 90 pr 100 it will shoot way dif. I found the 223 with Imr 3031 seems real consistent.. And the 222 is real consistent with data 68.
Posted By: 16bore Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/07/14
Popped my cherry doing run-ups the other day, but most of the problem is the FP
[Linked Image]
Posted By: boomwack Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/07/14
O.k, here's one.

Ran my .223 50 gr. btip load out of my bolt gun over the chrono yesterday. The load is 27 gr. h335 cci 450. My chrono told me a five shot average of 3344 fps with a variance of only 10 fps at most between shots, Gun and ammo temp 68 degrees... To be honest I was expecting a little more speed, not that it's a problem. The load shoots tight one hole five shot groops till I wiggle.

My other load with the 50 gr btip is powered by 23gr imr4198 for an average of 3500fps straight up. I was expecting the 335 load to equal the imr4198 load.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/07/14
Originally Posted by 16bore
Popped my cherry doing run-ups the other day, but most of the problem is the FP
[Linked Image]

Load?
Primers?
Posted By: 16bore Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/07/14
6x45 w/85 NPT, 400's. Don't recall the charge, but seemed to top out early anyway. Whatever the charge was, it ran 2685 FPS.

Bolt face needs done....
Posted By: Outbackandy Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/08/14
Boomwack... what twist are you using with that 50gr btip ( 1-9")?
Posted By: boomwack Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/08/14
The bolt gun, a ruger MK-II has a 1-12 turn, 22 inch barrel.

I wish it had a 1-9. The heaviest bullet I have ran threw it is the 60 gr. partition and does just fine on deer at 3000 fps and shoots 1 inchers a @100 yards easily.

The h335 50gr. load surprised me with the velocity it gave.
Posted By: Outbackandy Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/09/14
Thanks, I'm working on a good working loads for two .223
I have one a savage 11 and one a CZ 527 Varmint both 1-9"s
Posted By: valad Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/22/14
Seen another thread on some IMR powders becoming temp insensitive and this H335 is also temp insensitive. So where is the data that lists all of the temp insensitive powder? I have a couple older IMR and JB states those IMR made in Australia are being converted to temp insensitive if I remember what I read. My question is what powders from all powder companies are temp insensitive? Are all Hod temp insensitive? I presume you guys who reload in winder time become mindful of temp sensitivity of powder if you want to shoo loads in the summer?
Val, most of us develop our loads in the summer anyway, blow through them and reload in the winter.
The H EXTREME powder line is supposedly less temp-sensitive. I have used them and been satisfied that a good load will not have scary surprises.
I'd suggest, if you don't know if a powder is "sensitive," then use your best judgment -- stay away from the red line.
I don't use H 335 any more. TAC meters at least as well, and is not nearly as feline or female as 335.
Posted By: valad Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/23/14
then just to be safe I guess I will hold off on the H335 until summer. I have some TAC that I picked up on the way home from visiting my parents over Christmas break. I have others to try as well.

No one answered my question...is Hornady the only company that produces Extreme temp insensitivity powder? JB mentioned that now IMR has some temp insensitivity powder but they are made in Australia so maybe I can use this as a guide on if IMR is temp insensitive. But all of my Powder is probably 5 years old so I can probably say only Hornady powders are only the temp insensitive powder I have on hand.
Posted By: ingwe Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/23/14
I didn't know Hornady produced and sold powder�.
Posted By: valad Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/23/14
Andy...my 223Rem is a Remington ADL that had barrel replaced with another ADL barrel. And it is a 12" barrel...I thought the ADLs came with 14" but with 12" I'll take a little versatility and see how it goes. For Varget powder what bullets are you using?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/23/14
I didn't know Hornady produced and sold powder�.

That's a new one on me. Have to take a 1 hour drive to Grand Island and see WTF is up.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/24/14
valad,

Hornady doesn't make any powder, and for that matter neither does Hodgdon. Hodgdon Extreme powders are made in Australia.

Hodgdon also owns the IMR name, and some of the powders they sell under the IMR label are also made in the same plant in Australia and have the same characteristics as the Extreme powders.

There isn't any powder that doesn't react to temperature in some way. Today, however, many powders are more "temperature-resistant" than others, and not just the Hodgdon Extremes but many offered by other companies.
Posted By: valad Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/24/14
MD and others,

after going back to look at my post. I see where I made a mistake. I knew Hornady does not make powder but I used the word Hornady instead of Hodgdon. Guess I am going to have to start proof reading my post lol.

I guess I am going to have to start investigating whether a powder is Extreme or not before reloading. Some posted above that they only load in summer but I know there are some reloaders who load in the winter time. I will have to save the Extreme powders for summer to ensure that they will work in the winter time. As I do not want any surprise if I use same load for say H335 in the winter time in the summer time.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 02/25/14
Valad, 335 is a good powder for 223 albeit it is very dirty and unpredictable when using Max loads on very warm days. I generally as a rule of thumb I leave it alone during the summer when range temps get to the 85-100 range.
Also I don't work at max on any of my loads, its usually .5 - 1 grain under. 335 and Benchmark usually give me 3350 - 3400 out of a 24" barrel @ 1 under with a 52 SMK which gives a little head room. There is a post on here where I gave velocity avg. from 2 223's with Benchmark, and they are typical of what I have always gotten with that load.
I have also had some interesting gains in velocity from Benchmark on very hot days and it is an extreme powder, albeit the interesting has not been in the same category as 335.
Posted By: foogle Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 03/02/14
Aberdeen proving grounds "proof round is a standard round heated to 140degrees F. Human sense of touch is a burning sensation at 150 F and above. At 140 degrees you can hold a hot object, at 150 F you cannot. Whenever i have had preesure issues with any powder, i was already expecting it.
Posted By: bea175 Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 03/02/14
I have used H335 for many years and have never experience any problem from heat to cold with it. One of the most accurate powders in the 223 Rem.
Posted By: foogle Re: H 335 Temp sensitivity - 03/02/14
Bea175, my experience is similar to yours , have shot lots of h335. In the early 1970 my understanding was much military 5.56 was loaded with h335 according to a commercial reloader i did business with. Due to the its clean burning characteristics. For what it is worth
© 24hourcampfire