Home
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
I was in the Cabelas Outpost today, and there are ten 500 boxes of ZMax 50s for sale, for about 75 bucks.
I'm tempted, because I'm about out of Blitz King 50s.

Anyone shot Z Maxes and V Maxes side by side? I have some Zs in 311 for my SKS's and they are fine for that. I haven't shot VM 50s in my current barrel, but the prior barrel shot them well.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
I have heard, but never confirmed, that Z-Max are only V-Max with different colored tips. Makes sense to me that the "zombie" thing was just a hype/marketing thing.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I have heard, but never confirmed, that Z-Max are only V-Max with different colored tips. Makes sense to me that the "zombie" thing was just a hype/marketing thing.

I believe that to be the case as well, simply for manufacturing reasons. Why develop a new/different bullet when a color change will do? The guys at Hornady are smart, not stupid.
Posted By: FredWillis Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
I have shot many boxes of both Vmax and ZMAX and see no difference in 100 yard groups. I would not be afraid to interchange them and depend on them giving the same results.
Posted By: deflave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I was in the Cabelas Outpost today, and there are ten 500 boxes of ZMax 50s for sale, for about 75 bucks.
I'm tempted, because I'm about out of Blitz King 50s.

Anyone shot Z Maxes and V Maxes side by side? I have some Zs in 311 for my SKS's and they are fine for that. I haven't shot VM 50s in my current barrel, but the prior barrel shot them well.

When they first appeared I called Hornady directly. Hornady told me they are the exact same bullet with a different colored tip.

I shoot them side by side almost every week. There is no difference between the two. Z-Maxes are usually cheaper due to the bulk packaging.

Buy.

Travis
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
All right, gents. That's what I THOUGHT but was not sure.

Zombies!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
There have been a bunch of good deals on Z-Maxes since the zombie craze apparently peaked. I've found 'em at several stores in both .204 and .224 for considerably less than the same V-Maxes.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
Whaddaya mean the craze has peaked?

Did anyone make any green Zombie Powder in a 4895 burn rate by any chance?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
I say "apparently peaked" because we don't see many zombies around here anymore, though a county of less than 5000 people is pretty small sampling. Perhaps the cheap availability of all the Z-Maxes has something to do with it?

There was some powder around here that gave a green glow, but only at night around the 4th of July. Haven't seen any of that since then, either....
Posted By: deflave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/09/14
Hornady suspended the Z-Max for the time being.

But I have a few thousand in the garage in case the zombies do make a comeback. My son also has a box of the .40 S&W zombie ammo, just in case.

Side note... They initially offered a Z-Max in .308 and I believe they were the 168's. If you find any, they are the same as the Gay-Max.

Travis
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/10/14
I killed a number of zombie prairie dogs this summer with my favorite 40-grain .204 Z-Maxes, which is far less gay than those limp-wristed .17 Z-Maxes.

I haven't seen any zombie PD's since, which probably proves something, though I dunno what....
Posted By: deflave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/10/14
.204? Never heard of it.

The green tipped .17's have treated me well this season. But when you own the greatest .17 Remington ever assembled, that's a given.

Travis
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/10/14
Mule Deer, you apparently killed all the zombie prairie dogs, perhaps saving humanity in the process. Well Done, sir.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/11/14
Hey, when zombie-dogs pop out of the ground, looking for trouble, there's only one honorable course of action!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/11/14
Originally Posted by deflave
.204? Never heard of it.

The green tipped .17's have treated me well this season. But when you own the greatest .17 Remington ever assembled, that's a given.

Travis

The .204 is what the 17 Remington longs to become�..
Posted By: wageslave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/11/14

UH OH,
you boys keep it civil....
don't go Nascar over .032

Love,

Vinny
Flave is just attempting reverse psychology on the whole Freudian concept by shooting a .17

I can see right through his ruse.
Posted By: deflave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/11/14
The two-O-whore will always play second fiddle to the .17 Rem.

It's a peasant's cartridge.

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/11/14

Agreed,
Flave Precision blows.
.17 is a barrel fouler and he knows it.
He's read it here.
If its on the innaweb, it has to be true.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/13/14
Well,
I got busy and had to stay away from Cabelas for about three days. Last night, got there and to my stunned amazement, the inventory hadn't been chewed through. In fact, I don't think anyone bent over far enough to see it.
So, I got a box. There were still eight left. That gives me a chance to go have a test shoot and buy more if they shoot. Amazing, I guess the Obama Crisis is fading. At least for a few weeks. Maybe I'll actually see some POWDER available for sale, some I WANT.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/14/14
Lingering has never been a strong first move.................
Posted By: deflave Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/14/14
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Well,
I got busy and had to stay away from Cabelas for about three days. Last night, got there and to my stunned amazement, the inventory hadn't been chewed through. In fact, I don't think anyone bent over far enough to see it.
So, I got a box. There were still eight left. That gives me a chance to go have a test shoot and buy more if they shoot. Amazing, I guess the Obama Crisis is fading. At least for a few weeks. Maybe I'll actually see some POWDER available for sale, some I WANT.

If a 50gr V/Z-Max doesn't shoot, you'd be better off selling the rifle than selling the bullets.

I advise you drink a few beers and take a drive back to the store.

Travis
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/14/14
Zombies are already here. They lay around all day and drink and party all night. Pick up their paychecks first Tuesday of every month.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/14/14
Good old Stick...how's making stump going?
I suspect they will, Trav. I have cooked up two other loads for them in two other not-mine rifles that were excellent. But the Blitz Kings set a pretty high bar.
I am really hopeful these do well in my BR, as 50s over 322 is the cat's fanny in not just the literature, but with the Kings. The Kings are also my pet 223 full-power load. Both shoot better than I can, for sure.
Fingers crossed I guess.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zombies Zombies! - 08/15/14
Have heard good things about the 50V-Max myself................
© 24hourcampfire