Home
Posted By: davet 75grn Amax in the standard .223 - 11/13/14
What is your best load with the 75grain amax in the standard .223 case?

I have win cases, cci 400's, H4895, and IMR4320 on hand, plan to load them for a Ruger American.

Any info on how they act on game would be nice info to have as well. I'm guessing they could be a mess up close, but have yet to shoot that projectile yet.

Thanks
Generally I've found Varget to provide fine overall results with 70-80 grain bullets in the .223, but H4895 is close enough to also do very well. Haven't tried 4320.
22.4 grains of 4320 with 77 grain Nosler HPBT's is by far the most accurate load I've found so far in my 223 Ruger American Compact. Its only about 2550 fps (not chrono'd), but if I push harder, the groups open up....I've not got the 75 Amax's to shoot very well yet, but I've been too busy to play around with it much.
Varget is one of my favorites with the 75 Amax's
[Linked Image]

Rl15 does pretty well also..[Linked Image]
H335 is what I'm using. Tried Varget, TAC and RL 15 but the H335 was kicking a$$ in both velocity and accuracy. Can't complain as I shoot H335 with 40 Vmax as well.
Old Data, but with the heavier bullets H 380 does very well for both accuracy and velocity...while still not being very high pressure...

I run 27.5 grains with the 75 BTHP Hornady...
Thanks fellas. I do have h380, but have never had much luck with it.

Wow Ackley, 2900+ with that kind of accuracy is nice!
Originally Posted by davet
What is your best load with the 75grain amax in the standard .223 case?

I have win cases, cci 400's, H4895, and IMR4320 on hand, plan to load them for a Ruger American.

Any info on how they act on game would be nice info to have as well. I'm guessing they could be a mess up close, but have yet to shoot that projectile yet.

Thanks

I'm running the 75gr HP, as they have been easier (and cheaper) to find than the Amax. Using Lapua brass, Federal GM primers and BLC-2 at 25.0grs. Don't have a chrono, but they are shooting groups around a 1/2 inch at 100 out of my LTR. Punched a big male coyote with one last night, quartering in at 166 yds - no exit.

Kaiser Norton
IIRC, I'm running 26 or 27 grains of Varget in mine (it's jammed full, for sure!). Running in the 2900's and extremely accurate out of my T3. I did mod the mag so I can seat the bullets out further (2.470" COAL).

Usually Hornady brass with Fed Gold sparkers.

ive tried other bullets but am well stocked with the 75 Amax so I just use them for everything. Took it a couple times desert deer this year but didn't see anything.
23.5grs IMR8208xbr, Lapua brass, CCI400 - 2950 fps in a 26" 9 twist Savage
© 24hourcampfire