Home
Posted By: salmonhead 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
Anyone have a recipie for this bullet? I am shooting a 1:12 twist NEF single shot with 22" barrel. I tried 6 loads from 22.5-25 grains of H335 and wasnt really pleased with the velocity or the groups. Not sure how far to go with the loads, all the books vary so much, I stopped on the conservative side with absolutely no signes of pressure that I could detect. Easy ejection and primers look fine. Thoughts?
Posted By: Higginez Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
I'd push it until I found pressure and back off a little. I've been pretty successful finding pressure and jumping the Barnes bullets. H335 will give you the speed and you can count on that.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
H335 is antiquated stuff. If that's all you have, go for it. But it's dirty burning and temp sensitive. It worked fine when the choices available were limited, but far better powders exist today.

H335 seems especially popular on the Fire for use in the 223/223 AI for a couple big reasons. Steve Timm liked it in the 223 AI, and is a very influential poster here. Much of his work was done in the era before the better powders were available, and I suspect if he were to revisit the subject he would find the new powders better suited.

Another big reason H335 still sees a lot of play here is Big Stick. He makes a lot of noise about it, and I suppose H335 does work well in his locale, which sees very minimal temperature variations throughout the year (something like 34 degrees between average summer highs and average winter lows). In areas with wider temp swings (the same site where I found the Craig data shows around 81 degrees difference at my locale), changes in velocity and thus zero are likely to occur between the seasons. Lots of folks listen to Stick, take his word as gospel, and repeat it without really trying anything themselves.

Benchmark, Tac, and IMR 4166 are some of the best powders I've tried with 50-55 grain bullets in the 223 which showed good velocity with accuracy. In addition, Tac and 4166 have de-coppering agents.

Also, H335 smells weird when it goes off. smile

Posted By: salmonhead Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
I will load myself out of H335 and try some of the newer stuff. I had to start somewhere with the gun and it seems to work well with the 60 noslers for speed. Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. My range sessions are few between and a 2 hour drive kind of sucks, so I try to get it right or close to it to begin with.
Go for it. Don't get me wrong, H335 works fine. But it's kind of like how a Winchester 94 30-30 works fine. It's just that there are better performing choices out there.
i appreciate the input.
whats your thoughts on RL15 for the 53 Gr? I have a pile of it. Looks like my books show it for the heavier bullets. I also have an AR I will be loading for sooner or later and that has 1:7 twist so the heavies will come out then.
I personally like RE-15 a lot, especially with heavy bullets. You will have a compressed load with 53s before you get velocity, but it works great.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
TAC gave me about 3000 with the 53 grain TSX and killed fine.

BLC-2 gave me 3300 and killed better.

Start with BLC-2 as a trial.

Posted By: 43Shooter Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
Tac or X-Terminator. No question Tac's good but I've gotten a little better accuracy in two different 1-12 twist 223s with bullets under 55 gr using X-Terminator. They're both from the same company with comparable velocity in that range 223 bullet weight. They meter smooth and burn clean. I'd say either will do a good job for you.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/18/14
I usually keep a pound or two of 335 around simply because it will work, best results were at max. Problem was that on a very hot day it could get a little surprising so it's now only used during spring and fall when the temps are mild.
I get the best velocity/accuracy in the 50-55 range using Benchmark 3300 to 3500 out of a 24 inch tube. 8208 XBR also gave good results, but found it worked better with a hotter primer to get the velocity.

For pure accuracy I have gone to LT 32. Velocity is a little lacking, but consistency and accuracy are superb. 52's only clock 3150.

PG I agree 335 does smell funky and is also extremely dirty burning grin
Posted By: salmonhead Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
What is the full name of BLC-2 and who makes it. I'll grab that and Tac and X-terminator.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
Swifty - Count me in as a huge fan of Benchmark with the lighter bullets. It's been my go-to with 40s especially. Good stuff.

I always thought H335 smelled like something that came out of a sick old woman.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
Miles,

I don't know how you managed to get only 3000 fps with the 53 TSX and TAC. I've loaded TAC with 50-55 grain bullets in a BUNCH of .223's and the lowest velocity I've seen with Ramshot data is about 3150 with the 50-grain Ballistic Tip--in my 16" barreled Bushmaster AR-15.

In normal-length barrels TAC normally gets 3300+ with 50-53 grain bullets. In a 26" 700 it gets over 3400. Maybe you just have a special lot of powder?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
salmonhead,

BLC2 is a Hodgdon powder, and is basically a slightly different burning rate of H355, with the some temp-sensitivity and fouling problems.

Listen to prairie goat. TAC and Benchmark are superior for what you want to accomplish.
Posted By: salmonhead Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
OK. Thanks.
Posted By: Steveco Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
Originally Posted by salmonhead
What is the full name of BLC-2 and who makes it. I'll grab that and Tac and X-terminator.

IIRC, it's short for "Ball C Lot #2," and before that there was "Ball C."
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/19/14
My 1-10" Tikka T3 loves Benchmark.

I can't speak to the TSX but 26.5 grains with a 50 grain Ballistic Tip gives me 3400 ft/sec and outstanding accuracy.

P
Posted By: MILES58 Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/20/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Miles,

I don't know how you managed to get only 3000 fps with the 53 TSX and TAC. I've loaded TAC with 50-55 grain bullets in a BUNCH of .223's and the lowest velocity I've seen with Ramshot data is about 3150 with the 50-grain Ballistic Tip--in my 16" barreled Bushmaster AR-15.

In normal-length barrels TAC normally gets 3300+ with 50-53 grain bullets. In a 26" 700 it gets over 3400. Maybe you just have a special lot of powder?

20 inch LTR barrel that liked them jammed into the lands. 3000 FPS wasn't a max load even then, but it just went together and shot good so I used it.

I probably could have gotten more out of it and kept accuracy too had I backed off and matched dimensions to the BLC-2 loads, but it just fell together and shot so nice I left it because it would do everything I needed it to.

From prior work with BLC-2 I already knew TAC wasn't going to get close to that powder's capability. I was more interested in looking at deer killed with 53 grain TSXs. I already was 95% certain of what I would see and simply hedged the bet that 300 FPS wasn't going produce a noticeable difference near 3000 FPS. Some day I'll revisit that and slide the range down to where 300 FPS does produce a difference just to see where that occurs.

Edited to add:
Out of curiosity I went back and reviewed the load notes. The TAC load is is not far above a minimum load with plenty of overhead available. The BL-C2 loads are pushed harder for specific rifles. With a 53 grain TSX I don't think safe max loads would come out much different.
Posted By: salmonhead Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/22/14
Been looking at the Hodgdon sight and they have the CFE 223 powder listed that seems to get great velocity compared to most everything else. Anyone use this stuff? Still on the hunt for TAC and Benchmark, but have not found any yet.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/22/14
I have not shot cfe 223 but only because I am stubborn and have loads with bullets I like shooting well with Benchmark, TAC and RL 15 (another great powder for heavy weight bullets) but I know Mule Deer has some experience with it and has had good results
Posted By: 603Country Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/23/14
I'm about out of H335, but like it fine. Didn't even know how dirty it was till ya'll told me. But, can't seem to find more, so going to BL(C)-2, since I did find that one. That's for the 40 grainers.

So...if you guys quit shooting H335, maybe I can find what I need.

Not opposed to trying new powders, if I could find them.
Posted By: txduckman07 Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/24/14
TAC. Was easy to find a load. Kills disproportional to it's size.
Posted By: ned Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/31/14
Originally Posted by salmonhead
Been looking at the Hodgdon sight and they have the CFE 223 powder listed that seems to get great velocity compared to most everything else. Anyone use this stuff? Still on the hunt for TAC and Benchmark, but have not found any yet.

CFE 233 is an excellent powder. Don't hesitate to try some.
Posted By: Freddy Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 12/31/14
If you can't find any Tac try to find some H 4895, you should be able to load that bullet to 3000 fps or more with that length barrel. With my 16 inch barrel Lar 15 I can reach 3012 fps with the 50 gr nosler ballistic tip with 25.5 gr H 4895.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 53 gr TSX in .223 Rem - 01/01/15
I've said this for years,

its harder to find a powder that doesn't work well in a 223, versus to find one that works better than all the rest...

a 223 and powder choice, is like an old VW Motor and fuel.. they'll run on about anything...

The only powder I don't mess with anymore in a 223, is H 335..
I've had two times a standard load of 25 grains with a 55 grain bullet heavily damaged a rifle and destroyed the stock, when it blew up after pulling the trigger...

also, for alittle pyrotechics, fire a round off at night using it...the flash is large enough to light up a large sized room..
so I don't want that much muzzle flash shooting prone in a dry grass field....

so I would use anything besides H 335, because about anything else will work just fine in a 223...

also those single shot NEFs are pretty darn accurate rifles, even in cartridges that aren't known for being tack drivers...

got a pair of them in rimfire, and they shoot more accurately than any other rim fire I own...and I have some nice tight shooting rimfires from other manufacturers...

and I wouldn't worry about 300 fps one way or the other....all the difference is, will be effecting your point blank range, and not really that much if you look at the trajectory charts before ever pulling the trigger...

a 53 grain Barnes is going to work at a wide velocity range, especially on a deer sized animal...don't think it would be my first choice for hunting big black bears, but with good shot placement I am sure it could get the job done...
© 24hourcampfire