Home
My son just bought a Savage 243 model 110 I think, and he is in North Dakota and plans on using I double duty for coyotes and antelope. I have dies and brass so am gonna load some up and try them in my Sako and hopefully they will be ok in his rifle. I bought some varmint bullets including a box of Barnes 70gr Varmageddon. I went to Barnes website to see if they list "most accurate" powder or any load data and see that their on-line manual wasn't updated since 2009 and they don't even list the bullets I bought. I can figure a starting load with various powders and start from there, bought thought if someone has any experience or a favorite load with these in a 243 it might save me some time.
I've got Varget,H414,4350,4831,RE19 and some other powder that should be appropriate.
Any thoughts??
I just loaded some 70 grain hollow point's with 41.6 gr of vargets in the lymens 49th edition Max load is 41.7 ,shot 5 rounds through my encore and it loves them .
But from what In have been told about Barnes is they have to be loaded a little liter than other bullets .
I would maybe start around 36 grains of Vargets and go from there
41.0 grains of Varget has shot extremely well in a couple of my .243's with 70's. Also had great results with 42.0 grains of the new IMR4166 in one rifle.
51 gr of Superperformance will push a 70 varmint bullet @3600 +
48.7 gr of Superperformance will push an 80 TTSX @3400 +

both with less PSI than a 270 WSM.

The 80 gr TTSX is very effective (this one in .257), bang flop.
In behind last left rib out thru right shoulder.

[Linked Image]
Varget works in both of mine, but most consistent velocity and accuracy was with 38 - 39 grains H-4895 with 70's and 75's.
I like Varget and W760 in my .243
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinkin Varget would be decent and since I have some that's where I'll start. Don't have any Superformance or the new IMR4166.
Miss the days when I could drive to local gun shop and buy a pound of xxx just to try it... sigh
© 24hourcampfire