Home
What say you?
In a bolt gun, a near max charge of W748 or H335.
H335 and find pressure.
In a couple guns.......50BT, 26.5-27.0/VV133, IMI, Rem7-1/2BR.....14" twist. Approach carefully.
H-4895 @ max.-Muddy
26.0 grains IMR 4895
27.0 grains TAC
H335 will normally group well, but so will TAC, with just about the same charges. I've been using 26.0 TAC for a few years and haven't encountered a rifle that wouldn't shoot it well. Also discovered a couple-three years ago that one of the major bullet companies uses TAC as their standard powder for testing 50-grain bullet accuracy in the .223.

More recently, 23.0 grains of Accurate LT-32 has proven VERY accurate in more than one .223 with 50 BT's. Velocities are a little slower than with TAC and H335, but not enough to matter to a prairie dog or coyote.
Nice to see you like the LT-32 MD. Mine likes it too.
23.5 grs. LT32 w/ 50 BT's works fantastic
25.8 grs Benchmark is also.
335 ain't bad, but it's dirty
8208XBR works but only max + a pinch with mag primer for me.
AA 2015 BR 24.2 grains with a 50-55 shoots very well in every 223 I have tried. 2208 and H4895 produce similar results
H335 and i could care less about it being so called dirty , because i clean my rifles every 20 to 30 rounds , old habits are hard to break. I have been able to get Tac to group as well as H335
I have a Rock River arms Lar 15, with 25.1 gr of Benchmark and the Nosler BT varmit bullet it shoots groups that average half inch. However best group that I have shot so far was with the Sierra 52 gr HPBT match king, 25 gr Benchmark resulted in a group that measured .295, same load shot a group at 300 yards that measured 1.895.
Originally Posted by bea175
H335 and i could care less about it being so called dirty , because i clean my rifles every 20 to 30 rounds , old habits are hard to break. I have been able to get Tac to group as well as H335

Try some Dyna Bore Coat and keep shooting. Every 20-30 rounds and I'd give up shooting.
I run 4895 under 50 BKs and VMs, they shoot great as that seems to be the optimum burn rate (or something).
335 was the same way, but I don't shoot it any more. One too many really hard bolt lifts for no good reason.
TAC is also impressive under 50s. All loads just under official book maximums.
max or near max loads of Benchmark are my most accurate loading
Originally Posted by Higbean
H335 and find pressure.

not the same burn rate, so not the same charges, but also not the same issues ( like hard bolt lifts due to pressure spikes in hot weather, dirty etc), but an old Benchrest Shooters Standby,
H 322....
Certainly not the fastest at 3,150 fps, but 25.5 grains 2230, Fed. brass, and CCI standard primer has proven accurate in a Ruger bolt-action.
thank you all
a full case of varget with the 50's works well for me.
It's interesting that Ramshot TAC is recommended sometimes, but very few people seem to try Ramshot X-Terminator. In .223 and 5.56, for all weights up to mid-60 grain bullets, I've found X-Terminator to give better accuracy and slightly more velocity than TAC, 748, or H335. Both TAC and X-Terminator seem to give best accuracy with max loads.
Varget and H4895...
H4895, H335, and Vargay.

Travis
AA2460 has done extremely well for me and the plastic-tipped bullets from Nosler and Hornady in 40 & 50 grains. Middling charges. My first couple 5-shot .25" groups came with this powder and both 40 and 50 grain Hornadys.
Originally Posted by Ackman
In a couple guns.......50BT, 26.5-27.0/VV133, IMI, Rem7-1/2BR.....14" twist. Approach carefully.

Actually just read this. Never have tried 133 but might have to. Will say I have had a good experience with the 7 1/2BR. Think it's a very under rated primer.
Max load of Ramshot X-Terminator with both 50 BT and VMax.
28g w748 since 1979 does the trick, prints sub moa in all my varmint rigs. I now run the 50g vmax with it, started with hornadys 50g jsp back then.
My favorite for 50s is 26.0 grains of benchmark

The same charge of TAC shoots just as accurately but the velocity doesn't match the benchmark
Dude

What primer do you use with that load?
dude270,

TAC is a little slower-burning than Benchmark, so the same charge of TAC with the same bullet will result in less velocity.
Woods Walker

I have mainly used 7 1/2 remingtons but I've just recently tried the tula small rifle magnums and they seem to work just as well.

As per Mule Deers advice, Magnums seem to work at least as well or better with TAC.

John,

I figured there was room to step on the gas with the TAC loading but the accuracy with 26 grains is exceptional in every 223 I've tried them in so its hard to get away from something that works.
Thanks again for that load.

Both are great powders but I save my TAC for heavier bullets in the 223 precisely due to its slower burn rate. Its a killer powder for 63 on up to 75 grain bullets
© 24hourcampfire