Home
Posted By: HuntnShoot 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/13/15
Who is shooting this bullet? I've tried several powders and seating depths from right on the lands to .025" with no accuracy yet. Gun is a Ruger American that will MOA with several different loads and lighter bullets, but nothing heavier than a Nosler PT. I figured the 1:8 would be ideal for the 68s. It has NOT been so far. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Do I need to come off the lands farther? Pet loads?
Posted By: ingwe Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/13/15
No reason they shouldn't shoot....Im using them in a 1 in 10 with great results. 24.5 gr. of IMR 4895 and seat them so they just fit in the magazine....
Posted By: Boxer Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/13/15
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Who is shooting this bullet? I've tried several powders and seating depths from right on the lands to .025" with no accuracy yet. Gun is a Ruger American that will MOA with several different loads and lighter bullets, but nothing heavier than a Nosler PT. I figured the 1:8 would be ideal for the 68s. It has been so far. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Do I need to come off the lands farther? Pet loads?

Same as anything else...kiss,find pressure and rock on.

My 1-8" Roaring Lion is in 5.56 at 16" and small change and with Plug & Plays using the above approach,it will certainly fhuqk with heads. I've shot the fhuqking BeJeezus out of it with 68's,but as with all things that'll stabilize 'em,the 75A-Max is KING and by lightyears.

The 5.56's have the Linda Lovelace throats,the 223's a much finer ride. Here's where the 68 Hornie's COAL rides in a Plug & Play for a square smoochin' 68 Hornie BTHP (2.470" COAL).

[Linked Image]

The 68's were eager to please with '335,'2200,LeverEvolution,H-4895,10X and a few others I'm prolly forgetting. O/F Bulk R/P's,400's and the aforementioned kiss a given.

It's been a fhuqking RIOT and I've shot more through it in short order,than most folks could/would in a lifetime.

Did the OEM MQ Fixed Fhuqker Thang(great).

[Linked Image]

Played with Milk Jug Preload(requisite).

[Linked Image]

Then cut to the fhuqking chase(only way to rock the OEM milk jug).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then really cut to the fhuqking chase(night and day,regarding forgiving mannerisms).

[Linked Image]

Then really,really cut to the fhuqking chase(retained all the mechanical structure,improved ergo's and it cain't be foiled by 'pod,bags nor sling).

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/673/ceoGcF.jpg[/img]
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/538/IGdR8I.jpg[/img]

MK4 M3 6x Reupold...rockin' Retrostalgic(would be my choice of glass,to club Baby Seals with).

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/910/Hr8Atc.jpg[/img]

Then last night I slammed a Reupold 30mm LR M1 4.5-14x 40mm on it...because I fhuqking HATE 4.5-14's(schittiest glass Reupold has ever pulled out of their ass...whether 1",30mm,fixed,A/O or side focus) and nothing is fhuqking funnier(fhuqk 4.5-14's suck ass).

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/661/r05pu2.jpg[/img]

The 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker will of course be returned in place and 75A-Max ride in all my mags,at this very moment. The 68 Hornie trumps the 69SMK,but WTF don't?!?

Had the 68's out to 900yds and small change yesterday,in sporty winds and couldn't take it anymore,so shifted gears full circle to the 75A-Max at 2770fps(Lever')...which I of course had in tow. With the MQ and a 200yd zero,the windshield will crush the 950yd line and the 10mph 5mil full value drift slip,don't happen until 1325yds.

Never was one to mutherfhuqk schit I ain't done did...thus the plethora of T-Shirts. You've been led to water.

Hint.

Film at 11:00.

(Addendum: for THE perpetual Window licker)

NotSoSwift,

I'll feign my "surprise"...that you couldn't "quite" muster the courage to muse ANYTHING The Rifle,but rocked the schit outta a plagiarized cartoon. Kudos on the sweet "satisfactions" that are your's,due your copious Imagination and all of it's Pretend.

Your "best" is ALWAYS a fhuqking riot!

Bless your heart,you "hard charger" you.

Laffin'!

As an aside,do tell...you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,did your Imaginary Pretend Ignore get "forgotten"?!?

Re-Laffin'!

(Another Addendum: for yet another CLUELESS Drooling DumbFhuqk)

Shefire,

Here's to how amazingly WELL founded,your copious insecurities are. "Congratulations"?!?

I'll feign my "surprise",that you are yet another Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,who's Imaginary Pretend Ignore is beyond her "abilities" to keep track of. Laffin'!

Rather enjoyed the "particulars" you "cited".

Bless your heart.

Maybe share next,what your pending BWT will encompass?!?

Laffin'!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/13/15
Hot phuggin damn its the twig.
Damn man, I see you are still frying the brain cells and got rid of the skull and X bones. Cool move dude. Befitting of the person.
Gotta write where chit goes so you don't phugg it up.

Good to hear from ya.

[Linked Image]

just for you.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/13/15
Was that in Ebonics?

Don't care what ya say Swifty....

Schtick is the cooooolest 3rd grader in the entire state of Alaska...even if not the tallest...

Those RAR pics were awesome... if someone had a 1980 K Car with 20 inch wheels with spinners, they'd own a rifle that looked JUST LIKE THAT....cause it would match the car...

as always, the best entertainment value on the Internet regardless of cost...

many of us stand in awe....

how do they fit "so much" in such a small package????

as always, I for one sure have learned alot....

just wish I spoke Ebonics...
and my RAR Predator shoots 68 grain Hornadys just fine, with 24.5 grains of H 322....seated to magazine length with the Cotis Magazine extension he sent me...
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/13/15
Schtick taught Yoda everything he knows...

[Linked Image]

That is why Yoda calls Schtick ToYoda....
I may have to get one of those extended mags. I thought the originals were hokey until I tried them, then I realized they ARE hokey. And short. What a waste. I appreciate the input thus far. I don't know what the hell my problem is. I started them kissing the lands, single feeding, and have been moving back. May have to go back to the drawing board. I'm not above taping the fore-end. Definitely some vertical stringing in my groups. Take that out and I'm easily half-moa, with everything but the 68s!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15
Seems the twig is on Ricks short leash again, what this time once a day, week, or month?
I am totally surprised at your ability to use the copy and paste function as it is written in plain English which is most definately not one of your strong suits judging by the way you brutally destroy it.
I also find it totally hilarious the ease at which you can be led to drink the poisoned water which allows you to slide back into your self absorbed fantasy life that invariably will lead to another total ban from this site again. I mean damn man it only took 1 paragraph. Way too easy.

I am so looking forward to your next installment of copy and paste, and the destruction of the English language too an extent that you have no equal.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Seems the twig is on Ricks short leash again, what this time once a day, week, or month?
I am totally surprised at your ability to use the copy and paste function as it is written in plain English which is most definately not one of your strong suits judging by the way you brutally destroy it.
I also find it totally hilarious the ease at which you can be led to drink the poisoned water which allows you to slide back into your self absorbed fantasy life that invariably will lead to another total ban from this site again. I mean damn man it only took 1 paragraph. Way too easy.

I am so looking forward to your next installment of copy and paste, and the destruction of the English language too an extent that you have no equal.
I appreciate Stick's input anyway. A lot of information there. It does require a bit of interpreting, but he's trying to help me out. Thanks Stick!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15
I appreciate Stick's input anyway. A lot of information there. It does require a bit of interpreting, but he's trying to help me out. Thanks Stick!

Tell him he's awesome. He loves that stuff.
Stick and I have butted heads plenty in the past. Credit where credit is due in this situation. Like I said, I appreciate the information.

At least the Partitions shoot well so far, which has never happened for me in slower twists. I want some range out of this rifle though, so the 68bthp and the 75 A-max are the desired shooters. If I can get some accuracy and the right speed, the trajectory will allow me to practice to 600 with a similar trajectory to what I hunt with.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15
ya gotta love it...

where else can you put 50 cents into someone's nickel slot and get $50 worth of entertainment out of it...

here's a thought for Schmucklette....

maybe he should put some of us on ignore, instead of getting his BVDs in a knot, when his cage gets rattled a little...

but to the person that sent me the PM, that he doesn't speak ebonics, he just has a used wet roll of TP for a brain....

that sort of fits...that or Tourettes and the IQ of a Mosquito...

one of those scenarios has to fit...

but other than that, HE'S FRIGGIN AWESUM!!!!
Posted By: efw Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15
I played "The kiss & find pressure game" & came up w/ 26.5 gr of RL15 in Win cases sparked by CCI-400s **WHICH IS OVER MAX** (so work your way up) and even with blems I'm poppin water-filled milk jugs at 400 no prob & enjoying good case life.

My sons called it "love at first shot" and have shot me outta 2nds wink .

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.
Stick and I have butted heads plenty in the past. Credit where credit is due in this situation. Like I said, I appreciate the information.

At least the Partitions shoot well so far, which has never happened for me in slower twists. I want some range out of this rifle though, so the 68bthp and the 75 A-max are the desired shooters. If I can get some accuracy and the right speed, the trajectory will allow me to practice to 600 with a similar trajectory to what I hunt with.

Damn I love the interweb. One stop shopping for every problem.
Actually find the highlighted kinda funny.
Seems some guy back in 1896 shot a winning score at the Wimbledon cup with a 30-40 Krag. 1000 yards with iron sights and ballistics that match a rock.
Seems another guy in 1935 or 36 shot a perfect score with 14V/X count @ 1000 using a 300 H&H magnum shooting a 180 Boat tail and 5X scope.
Guys shooting 1000 yards with 30.06 garands and springfield 03's with iron sights cleaned with X count to boot.
Documented paper patched bullets in the late 1800's shooting to 1000 yards.
Now I see that you need a bullet that was suspended for what 1-2 years due to low sales to get to 600?
WTF over, you should feel sorry for us old folks as we had to do that with chit for bullets and powder.
So because people made great use of less advanced products in the past we should ignore new ones now?

It's apparent that the real reason you and Boxer don't get along isn't that you disagree on this stuff (tho you obviously do) but that you both suffer from the same "need" (for ego feeding's sake) to prove to everyone that yours is The Way and all others are patently ludicrous and barely scoff-worthy, save to show all those observing how much better you are and how much more you know.

Differently colored ducks for certain, but both ducks just the same.

laugh seems you inject your opinion 6 X to my one.
Funny. Pot calling the kettle black.
Evidently you don't have a life out of here, Well I do.
Obviously.

By all means; carry on oh great one whistle .
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15
In the words of Martin Luther King whistle

Not likely, too much alpha-male wannabee egos involved.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15

Seems some guy back in 1896 shot a winning score at the Wimbledon cup with a 30-40 Krag. 1000 yards with iron sights and ballistics that match a rock.
Seems another guy in 1935 or 36 shot a perfect score with 14V/X count @ 1000 using a 300 H&H magnum shooting a 180 Boat tail and 5X scope.
Guys shooting 1000 yards with 30.06 garands and springfield 03's with iron sights cleaned with X count to boot.
Now I see that you need a bullet that was suspended for what 1-2 years due to low sales to get to 600?
WTF over, you should feel sorry for us old folks as we had to do that with chit for bullets and powder.

Loving the "WE" part.
Posted By: mathman Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/14/15
Yep, things do change with time.

Anyone with enough room on their credit card can go down to most any Japanese motorcycle dealership and buy a bike off the showroom floor that will smoke the bikes King Kenny Roberts used to win F1 championships forty years ago.

I appreciate your attempts to be an a$$, but you missed the part of my post referring to speed, trajectory that matches others to 600, practice. This requires high-BC bullets. I named the ones I want to get to shoot. They are far cheaper than Bergers, or the new Sierra TMK, which also have BC in the ballpark for what I am after.

Next time, you might try to contribute something to my query, instead of a$$ practice. You seem to be an expert already. Carry on.
Posted By: efw Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by mathman
Yep, things do change with time.

Anyone with enough room on their credit card can go down to most any Japanese motorcycle dealership and buy a bike off the showroom floor that will smoke the bikes King Kenny Roberts used to win F1 championships forty years ago.

...and still ride nowhere near as well as he did.

I need all the help I can get because'm not a Wimbeldon Cup shooter and see no reason why I wouldn't avail myself of the help. If I really wanted to be consistent with that line of "reasoning" I wouldn't stop where Swifty does, however, I'd go to the loin clothe & spear...

And yes, I fling ping pong balls from my AR at lesser distances, so no aversion to slow twist just different applications for different situations. Anyone can do things any way they want; whatever works.

The arrogant condescension is what gets me.
You're kidding! If nothing else, 24-HCF oozes arrogant condescension!
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
You're welcome!
You're welcome!

My comment wasn't directed toward any individual or group of individuals, rather just a general observation. The majority of users post helpful comments and share their experiences in a manner that is clear, helpful, and civil.

My comment wasn't directed toward any individual or group of individuals, rather just a general observation. The majority of users post helpful comments and share their experiences in a manner that is clear, helpful, and civil.
I'm guilty. I know I am. I'm not always right, but I sure as hell act like I am!
Posted By: Boxer Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/16/15
Holy Fhuqking Dog Schit...KchuntFest 2015 is gawddamned EPIC! Laffin'!

What a treat to have THE All Star cast of Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks(Shefire,NotSoSwift,SuperKchunt,260,yada,yada)weigh in and laude all the things they nearly did,the wares they nearly did it with and all the places they nearly did 'em. Laffin'!

Though in fairness,they were able to muster a coupla plagiarized pics stolen offa the 'Net,as a Trump Card of their collective "knowledge","experience" and "results". It remains a fascinating constant,that them who do the least,reliably fhuqking Whine the most and The Axis Of Imagination is on fhuqking fire,complete with Secret Squirrel PM's and the WHOLE enchilada! Laffin'! Funnier than fhuqk to boot,that all of 'em trumpeted Imaginary Pretend Ignore,yet hang like maggots on my every fhuqking word. Re-laffin'!

Though I digress...

The Lion quit roaring,as the 30mm 4.5-14x M1 40mm LR took a schit early yesterday morning on the 2nd 75A-Max poke,at the 900yd line. 1st launch was in the money,the 2nd 10-FEET out and then it went downhill from there(literally). Was lucky enough to have two pards in tow and it'll spare them some loot(not like I haven't [bleep] the 4.5-14x in ALL forms for years and it's no "secret" that they are dismal as a best case scenario).

Anywhoo,I flogged on the Reloading Press last night and a right proper 6x MQ will go back in the saddle,all of which grants opportunity to shoot more than a smidge today. I realize that such realities are blasphemous to The Do Nothing Gang...but I'll gun some frames,so The Paper Hat Brigade can add more pixels to "their" albums. Laffin'!

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't,but "luckily" Imagination and Pretend are free,so everyone can "contribute". l'll add some more fuel to Imaginations,if only to bolster Pretend and cite 1000 words on the RAR S/S 223 Compact as it's germane to the crux.

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]

Mebbe just one more,beings they are all hurting so bad for pixels. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

You know what would knock this fhuqking hilarious schit outta The Park?!? A group photo of The Do Nothing Gang...if only to rightly pay tribute to THE World Record for crossed-eyes.

I'm cryin',I'm laffin' soooooooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Wow +P++!

Only fair to mention,to them who actually do shoot something other than their mouths and Imaginations,that the Plywood Lion approach has no equal...whether RF or CF.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

You've been led to water and I'm hoping noone drinks.

GOOD talk.

Laffin'!

(Adendum: for THE Whining Kchunt)

Shefire,

My bad,as I'd forgotten about your preoccupation with Sister's nails and your fascination with color(s).

Here...lemme yet again fuel your Imagination,if only to bolster your Pretend.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Bonus Round for you here...colors AND words! woot!

[Linked Image]

Prolly a 68 BTHP. Hint.

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]

More Nail Fadcination for you.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110122-DAD_1217.jpg[/img]

To prevent Sensory Overload of your preoccupation(s). Laffin'!

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/20110123-DAD_1254.jpg[/img]

Be sure to prattle on with your Delusional "Adventures" and your never ending Vagina Monologue's accounting of your incredibly wellfounded insecurities.

P.S. and by the way...do NOT let the FACT that you are a lying piece of fhuqking schit(Imaginary Pretend Ignore),keep you from Whining even more.

You Clueless Kchunts are a fhuqking RIOT!

As per always,salt the pics away and tell others that you "could too".

Laffin'!

Woot...the Lion roars again and I KNEW better than to not Fix Fhuqk it for the duration,but R&D is more than half the fun.

In HDR,for them fantasizing other's nails and visualizing them in the tub.

Laffin'!

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/673/urSQNV.jpg[/img]

(Jeezus Fhuqking Gawd...yet another adddendum...for yet another Whining Kchunt)

'Gal,

You are THE Clueless Fhuqk forever PM'ing me for the straight scoop and ain't it an intellesting tidbit,that you went from Imaginary Pretend Ignore,to sucking my ass for intel?!? Laffin'!

It's more than a leetle poignant,when even somebody as fhuqking STUPID as you,knows who do and who don't shoot. Read that again,now one more time. Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess,while the rest of you Drooling Dumbfhuqks are guessing as BEST case scenarios. Hint.

Rest assured...I've the shoulders to happily be whatever you NEED me to be,to satiate your sad realities and Do Nothing Dumbfhuqkedness. You just be certain to keep Imagining and Pretending aloud. Laffin'!

You might consider (4) Midol and 500cc's of Vagisil in your usual locations,if only to getcha' over the time of month.

Still would love to see a pic of you Stupid Fhuqkers,if only as a means of quantifying that which has lonnnnnngggggggggggg been obvious.

Laffin'!

More fingernails to fret,for you "hard chargers". The RSS looks like it'll rock and is thus far,a literal fhuqking rock...though as with everything else,only time will tell how it handles obscene round count,topography and weather.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/673/dNIdcv.jpg[/img]

Film at 11:00,as you Stupid Fhuqks ride the couch and try to convince eachother,that Nothingness is fashionably now "Something".

Laffin'!

Keep flogging that couch.

Wow +P++!
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/16/15
Though I digress...

The only sensible point ever made in a Schtick post...

but I do think it is sweet, he uses his one post a day limit, to mention the folks he loves the most....

the ones that turn his crank and let him wind himself up so they can watch his floor show perform once again...

he never disappoints.....but then I am sure his posts has been 48 hours in the making... rehearsed over and over to make it "perfect"....

We're so honored and you're so blessed their Schmucklette....

see ya in another 48 hours with your "zinging" riveting reply...

go kill another grizzly, it will calm ya down while also inspiring ya...then take 50 more pics with a rifle with all the graffiti on it, camo'ed with your teen age daughter's nail polish...

myself, I really like the one where you remind yourself, where to put your bullets... ( 75 grain A Max Goes Here )...you truly are a genius...what a great way to not forget where the bullets go...

by the way, its Saturday, so do forget to take a bath this week...by the content of your last posts, we could tell you were getting kind of ripe again... and use soap, works better than sand for getting rid of those 'smells' you love so much...

Stay Cool little buddy...Gilligan's Alaskan Brother...
Larry,

I find much of your behavior on 24HCF to be that of a boorish lout. IMO, you've become more a source of parody, playing to your sycophants, than a source of useful/helpful information. Don't you think that calling people names is the apex of juvenile behavior? Even more so when the people who you're ridiculing are, for the most part, anonymous? I mean, how hurtful are words written/spoken by a person who you don't respect? Ouch!

OTOH, you have a lot of great looking rifles and claim to have more experience shooting than 99.99% of the other people who frequent this site. What would be so hard about sharing your useful experiences and helping people solve problems that you've probably seen and solved a dozen times or more? Wouldn't that be a better legacy to leave, 'cause eventually everybody leaves, either by choice, your own, or by edict, Rick's.
I am still looking for suggestions/experiences regarding shooting the 68. And the 75 A-max while I'm at it. There will be game taken this fall with at least one of these two, when I can get them to shoot, hopefully with the desired speed/trajectory.

Who else besides Stick is chasing Bambi with the heavy hornadys?

I'd not thought to try R-15. I'll put that on the list. Thanks EFW!
Can't help you there. The only .224" bullets that I've killed whitetails with are 60 grain Partitions and 64 grain PowerPoints from 22-250s and a 223 WSSM. All deer shot died. Quickly.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/16/15
I use '15 under 75's. My velociry isn't is fast as some get with 335 but accuracy is better for me in my rifle. In 3 different 223AI's 26.3gr does between 3006 and 3330 depending on which rifle. The chunky ones have 21" barrels and the little one a 20'ish barrel. The spread is almost nothing so I lost interest in trying another powder.

Have no worries of bullet performance on deer. Theyll work rather well for you. The 75amax from 22-250AI and 50gr vmax from 223AI form loads is all we used this year.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/16/15
if you can find it, try out AR Comp.. burn rate pretty much the same as RL 15 although not the same as I am told, but close enough as I have found...

it is both temp insensitive and I actually find it even more accurate than RL 15, in multiple rifles in multiple calibers.

I've passed on RL15 I have found lately, waiting for AR Comp.

If this shortage ends, if we can manage to get the Democrats out of office, then AR Comp will be my new staple, replacing RL 15 in my powder cabinet.... which has seen a lot of RL 15 pass thru it over the years...
What do you think of TAC in the 223 for the heavies? I have TAC. And maybe 8 others in the right burn range for which there is published data. Tac was part of the first experiments, and it performed the best out of those.

BLC(2) was the worst. I could have done as well with a super-full choke and F shot.
H&S,

One of the bulk reloading ammo sellers in this area uses nothing but TAC and CCI450's to fuel all his .223 stuff. I shoot his stuff from time-to-time when the price is right. I've had good luck with his stuff with MOA/subMOA out of several uppers.

As for BLC(2), it's been my experience that guns either love it or hate it behind certain bullets with very little in between.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/17/15
BLC2 always seems to perform best in my 223s, when it is at near max, or sometimes a little stiffer charge....

regardless of bullet weights...
Thanks for all the continued input, guys. Will get some stuff put together and hopefully get out this coming week, depending on the weather.
What do you think of TAC in the 223 for the heavies? I have TAC. And maybe 8 others in the right burn range for which there is published data. Tac was part of the first experiments, and it performed the best out of those.

BLC(2) was the worst.I could have done as well with a super-full choke and F shot.

TAC is good stuff, likes mag primers and top end loads in my experience. Meters dead on throw after throw. Don't overlook the 70 gr. VLDs..
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/17/15
I've been following this thread hoping there would be some conversation about TAC. Glad to hear of some success with the heavies! And yes, I've read JBs advice to use 450 primers and hotter loads.

Thanks all. Whenever I get to working up my own loads, I'll post a thread.
Good morning, afternoon, and evening, gentlemen. I'm floored by the generosity and kindness I've found here on the fire lately. And humbled.
Posted By: 65X54 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/18/15
Rancho, you are correct in trying some 70 gr VLD's. Those and a warm load of TAC work quite well.

I've not gotten brave enough to try them on a whitetail yet but it's tempting.
What do you think of TAC in the 223 for the heavies? I have TAC.

I like it. I prefer X-Terminator for everything up to 69gr, but they are pretty close. Both like to be pushed to max for best accuracy, like others already said.
Posted By: Boxer Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/18/15
'Gal,

I'll feign my "surprise",that there's no mention of your going from Imaginary Pretend Ignore,to PM Suck Ass...let alone zero experience on Critters with the boolits cited. What were the fhuqking "odds"?!?

Wow +P+!

Laffin'!

You reliably connect alotta dots,just not ANY of the ones you "think" you are connecting. As per always,you'd do well to shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

Kaleb,

Am I understanding correctly that Re-15(which NOONE loves more than I),offers you a 75A-Max at 3300fps in one of your 223AI's?!?

I'll quotecha',so as to not lose context.(grin)

: "I use '15 under 75's. My velociry isn't is fast as some get with 335 but accuracy is better for me in my rifle. In 3 different 223AI's 26.3gr does between 3006 and 3330 depending on which rifle. The chunky ones have 21" barrels and the little one a 20'ish barrel. The spread is almost nothing so I lost interest in trying another powder." End of full quote.

Now if only for conversation,I just happen to have said chambering in 20,21,22,23 and 24" fast twist spouts,amongst other lengths and NONE of 'em will come close to 3300fps with a 75 of any flavor,with any powder,of which '15 is well represented. Hint.

DO tell! Say a leetle sumptin' about the chronograph,rifle particulars,yada,yada.

Wow +P+!

'sniper,

TAC sucks,especially with hot caps.

Hint.

Though besides Krunchentickers,I'm talking high zoot boltguns of supreme componetry.

Re-hint.

Hint.

Just sayin'.

In fairness I've never seen a 223,223AI,not do wickedly splendid things with BLC(2)...though it assuredly ain't always gonna make the best speeds.

'Nother hint.

Hint.

Shefire,

Where is your Imaginary Pretend Ignore taking you currently as of today,you lying piece of fhuqking schit?!?

Don't "forget",that you "can't" read this ala numerous decrees and rather exceptional Hissy Fits...in no particular order.

Bless your heart,you Clueless Drooling Lying Fhuqk.

Laffin'!

'Loco,

TAC ain't in the mix,no matter the twist rate,barrel length or bolt manipulation and a 70VLD is tough to get giddy about,both in flight and terminal affects.

The Hornie 75HPBT will routinely do nice thangs even in a 16" 1-9" Krunchenticker(a mainstay minimum gross RPM arrangement) and will assuredly out dig 'em on Venison and the like. 'Course the "bad" side is they cost less too and that burden can be a tough 'un to overcome.(grin)

Write this down: Give LeverEvolution a whirl and thank me later.

Hint.

'5,

I led you to water.

Now only you,can fhuqk things up.

Hint.

'54,

No point in not shooting the GOOD schit and the 70/TAC melding,sure as fhuqk ain't it. I'd rather squirt a 68 Hornie HPBT if Twist Chow,as they are wired together better.

If only obviously.

Hint.

'Shoot,

I don't get to shoot as many rifle/powder/bullet combos as the entire Do Nothing Gang does,though I do get to shoot a whole fhuqk of a LOT more than all of 'em bolted together. Hint.

Most things .224" cited thus far,are within this frame...as well as more than a couple/few that ain't. Hint.

[Linked Image]

21" 223AI/75'Max.

[Linked Image]

22" SAAMI OEM 223/75'Max.

[Linked Image]

22" SAAMI OEM Krunchenticker/75 Hornie HPBT.

[Linked Image]

24" 223AI/75A-Max.

[Linked Image]

Pardon the Splendor...it's how I roll. Laffin'!

Good talk.

This schit soooooooooooooo fhuqking cracks me up,when them that do THE least,go way outta their road to expound upon same,under the incredible "powers" of their Imagination and it's Pretend.

Just ohhh soooooooooo WOW!

A 75A-Max smooch has no equal.

Re-hint.

Though few things is funnier than a herd of Slow Learners bumping their heads and wondering how/why their schit sucks.(grin)

Mebbe The Do Nothing Gang will hang some plagiarized pics,to add more oblivious excuses,to their fhuqking incredible ineptitude?!?

Laffin'!

GOOD talk.
I may need an interpreter. Actually, what I need is to get out and empty some cases.

I'm going to try taping the fore-end to the barrel first in an attempt to get rid of stringing. The barrel floats in the channel, and with equal margin, after I sanded an offending side a bit. May have to spend some time trying to stiffen up this stock. I've gone back to kissing the lands, and am using CCI BRs in the next batch of test loads. Looks like some 75 A-max are coming my way thanks to a campfire member's kindness, and another fine gentleman is lending me one of the Cotis Extended Mags (actually shortactionsmoker has taken over production) to give it a test run.

Things are looking up!
Larry,

You do a great job of validating my comments.

I feel free to ask questions of anyone who might have the answers that I'm seeking. Unlike a lot of folks, I don't deceive myself into thinking that the people who I dialog with on-line are my "friends". Do I still have your "Big Stick" handle on ignore? I'm sure that your "Boxer" handle isn't on ignore, otherwise I couldn't have PM'd you to ask about the Boyds stock on your RAR or ask if you'd be interested in selling the stock from your RAR-RR. We had a back and forth dialog and when that dialog no longer served any use for me, I removed myself and deleted it from my message bin.

If it wasn't for sites like this on the internet, you wouldn't have a venue to display your many skills and few people outside of those few thousand on Prince of Wales and Craig would be able to appreciate the experiences that you capture and share through your camera lens. Your photography skills are nice, but they don't offset your boorish/rude/disrespectful behavior on this site, at least not for me.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/18/15
Schtick posted again???...

I think it is kinda nice that he donates his one post a day, to this thread....

if that isn't thoughtful, I don't know what is...

We all stand in AWE!!!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/18/15
Shoulda been 3030fps. Two A-5 chunks 1-8 PN cut at 21". Dave done those and the 1-8 PN MR dupe cut at 20'ish. For whatever reason all 3 do well on same load just slight different avg speed. Loads shot over magneto speed. 3330 is 22-250AI

+P.........lol
Posted By: HawkI Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/19/15
Originally Posted by Seafire
if you can find it, try out AR Comp.. burn rate pretty much the same as RL 15 although not the same as I am told, but close enough as I have found...

it is both temp insensitive and I actually find it even more accurate than RL 15, in multiple rifles in multiple calibers.

I've passed on RL15 I have found lately, waiting for AR Comp.

If this shortage ends, if we can manage to get the Democrats out of office, then AR Comp will be my new staple, replacing RL 15 in my powder cabinet.... which has seen a lot of RL 15 pass thru it over the years...

A lot closer to Benchmark than RL-15....in about everything all are listed in.
2-3 grain swings in data in a 223 case is a mile.

I've had good luck with it too, but its more of a sub for Benchmark, not even close to RL-15 with bullets north of 60 grains in 223 cases.
Posted By: 1flier Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/21/15
Congrats to the grad!!!

I just picked up some 68's.

IMR 4895
H4895
IMR 4198
IMR 3031

Any favorites?
Posted By: ingwe Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/30/15
IMR 4895...25.0 grains
25.0 Varget
24.0 IMR4166
23.0grs of IMR4895 in RP brass is running just over 1/2" for 3 shots - 5 different 3 shot groups. 1 9 shot group gave me 1.4" with 2 yanks of the trigger that I knew I yanked, the other 7 shots were just a shade under 3/4".

24.0grs was 1"

24.5grs was over 1" and was so compressed it creased the nose of the bullet.

23.0grs isn't very fast I'm sure since I've not chrono'd it yet but I can deal with that kind of accuracy for a 400yd steel dinger.

This rifle never shoots well on upper charges for some reason.

Chrono'd 23.0grs IMR-4895 and the 68 BTHP Match - 2688fps
Posted By: 10at6 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
25.0 Varget
24.0 IMR4166

yes plus

25 gr of re-15
25 gr VV-140
24 gr H4895
24 gr of 8028
24 gr VV135
24 gr of Tac

23.3 of AA2015

Loaded up 25 rounds and went out to a spot that's 405yds this evening with the .223 and 68's. I dialed 8.5" up and missed low right, the wind was in my face and left to right. I went up 1" and over 1/2" and hit the next 24 shots.

Granted my steel is 12"x12" but 19 of the 24 rounds fell within a 6" circle and all were within 9".

For me that's not too bad.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 05/30/15
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I just picked up some 68's.

IMR 4895
H4895
IMR 4198
IMR 3031

Any favorites?

ANY DARN ONE OF THEM will do a good job....

use each one until you run out and move on to the next one..
Posted By: Boxer Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/12/15
I may need an interpreter. Actually, what I need is to get out and empty some cases.

I'm going to try taping the fore-end to the barrel first in an attempt to get rid of stringing. The barrel floats in the channel, and with equal margin, after I sanded an offending side a bit. May have to spend some time trying to stiffen up this stock. I've gone back to kissing the lands, and am using CCI BRs in the next batch of test loads. Looks like some 75 A-max are coming my way thanks to a campfire member's kindness, and another fine gentleman is lending me one of the Cotis Extended Mags (actually shortactionsmoker has taken over production) to give it a test run.

Things are looking up!

Do tell...about the findings.

I've never heard of those mag extensions.(grin)

Haven't had my 5.56 RAR out much past the 1300yd line.

Lately.

Shefire,

Your delusional Imaginary Pretend Ignore is offa the Jerry Lewis FULL Retard chart.

Congratulations?

'74,

NOTHING you listed as powder choices.

Hint.

'Gal,

You Whine sooooooooooo fhuqking much,YOU can't even "remember" who/where you've Whined to! Congratulations?

PLEASE feel free to "confuse" who you do and don't have on your highly vaunted Ignore List,as per your "best" efforts. Laffin'!

No need to pontificate having NEVER rubbed elbows with me,despite same,standing atop your Bucket List. Bless your heart.

The Lion got sore.

4.5-14x puked on the 2nd poke at the 900yd line.

Mo' bettah,as mentioned prior,ala return to a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker.

[Linked Image]

I enjoyed your "dialog" delusion. Curiously enough...I said simply: "I don't sell" and "Classic is where it's at..................". If only because they are facts.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

You and Shefire do get alotta Pretend outta your sorry fhuqking Imaginations.

Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

Wow +P.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/13/15
Hey Schtick graced us with his presence again and his trademark "insults"... guess he missed us...

don't have a clue what he said, as I don't speak Jibberish..

but still......

He's so AweSUM!!!!!

We all missed ya Piglett!!! whistle

No, really!
Larry,

I have you on ignore as Big Stick, not as Boxer. You have a lot of useful experience to share, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Boyds stock styles, but sadly for all, the value of your expertise is too often diminished by your boorish behavior. When was the last time that you argued a point without your post devolving into name calling?

PS - I believe that I have had Big Stick on ignore since you did your racist eyelid tape job on your kids as a way to show disrespect toward kamo_gari. When was that? 2007? 2008?
Posted By: 28lx Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/14/15

In my Ruger American Predator and Remington 5R 25 grains of H4895 has been the most accurate load with 68gr Hornadys RL 15 is a close second.
Posted By: Boxer Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/15/15
Shefire,

I enjoy your Imagination,almost as much as you do...though for VERY different reasons.

Laffin'!

NOONE can insult you,better than YOU can and that by you simply doing your best and commenting in regards to your "knowledge","experience" and "results". In no particular order.

You really get after it!

'Gal,

Please find me "mistaken" and I'll happily take the time rub your nose even further in your incredible fhuqking stupidity. All the while,you can use your Imagination and Pretend to cypher further on your Imaginary Pretend Ignore,so as to get it sorted out and really make a "stand".

You Do Nothing Kchunts are a HOOT!

'lx,

I shoot 25grs of H4895 in my 5.56 Rancherican with 75A-Max. R/P cases,400's,moly,yada,yada.

25grs with the 68BTHP is veddy veddy soft in all of my spouts,including Custom tubes with snugger bore/chamber/throat dimensioning. The propellant is far better suited to 75's,due density/compression.

You wanna gun some LeverEvolution. While slower(good thang),it is more dense(good thang) and there's no compression issues in finding pressure(good thang). It'll eek better velocities and lower ES/SD values,while metering better to boot.

Hint/Hint/Hint.

Thank me later.

(Addendum: for perspective)

1000 words,though it'll reliably sail over pointy heads.

R/P hulls,spent primer,all shot out of same rifle and of like trim length...filled to the brim through 4" drop tube.

[Linked Image]

LeverEvolution on left,is holding precisely 31.0grs,H-4895 amidship is spilling over at 28.3grs,Re-15 to far right is doing likewise at 28.5grs.

You've been led to water.

Hint.
what's you LeverEvolution load?
Larry,

I have no idea what you wrote to or about me, as I never took the Blazing Saddles class in Authentic Frontier Gibberish. As I have posted in response to your previous gibberish and profanity laden posts, I consider name calling to be juvenile behavior and name calling toward anonymous names/handles on the internet to be just more of the same. I have had your Big Stick persona on ignore for some time, so maybe now is the time to put your Boxer persona on ignore and be done with it.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/16/15
Did someone sit on a Whoopie Cushion?

or was that Piglett posting something?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/16/15
Seafire, he's got to come in here. Seems he is getting blasted hard up in the custom rifle section. shocked From what I gather from the quotes he's not even bringing his A-game. Posting the same old schit , and still destroying the English language in a manner that will never be equaled.
We need a Poor Larry theme song. So here is my vote, Short People by Randy Newman.
LMAO
I used IMR4895 because I had a couple pounds of it and I don't use it with anything else. 23grs is very accurate, but slow at only 2668fps from my 22" barrel. I've shot about 60 rounds at 400yds with the 68's and decided to backup to 620yds today. I had 30 rounds with me and I missed the 1st 3 shots because I over dialed. I don't have any wind flags out but I'm shooting down a big lake so I try to watch the water and make a SWAG on where to hold. I ended up 22 of 30, it sucks I missed the first three on a dialing error. I did not have rear bag and was using a 6" - 9" bipod on the front. It was 87 degrees by 11 o'clock so 30 rounds was enough.

I know this isn't much of a group so don't laugh me off the campfire.

620yds - steel is 12"x12" ar500

Stevens 223 1/9" twist - don't laugh
Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40
RP brass
CCI 400
IMR4895 - 23grs
Hornady 68 BTHP

2668fps

[Linked Image]
As usual Boxer comes and shares some useful insight; but, then he colors it with useless self gratifying blather. Sort through the chaff and you will find some wheat. Unfortunately it's like someone serving you a bowl of ice cream mixed up with a bunch of horse turds. The ice cream looks good initially; but, who wants to, or can, then pick out the horse turds and expect to enjoy the ice cream.
Awww you boys are too hard on Piglett....

He's the epitome of the child's story, the 'Little Engine That Could...'

sure language skills aren't his strong point...

but if you ever caught some of that stupid show on Discovery, Alaskan Bush People.... you can come to see why Schmuck is the way he is.... I'm sure they are good friends if not relatives of the little guy...

I still maintain Schmuck is the best entertainment value on the WWW, even if no one can hardly understand a thing he is talking about...

I look at Schtick as Cousin IT from the Addams family, that has been sheared and shaved...and deported from Oregon to Alaska...

[Linked Image]

That's him on the left, before he got sheared and shaved, and took off to Alaska to escape that paternity suit over in Coos Bay...

[Linked Image]

Listen to "Cousin IT" speak and how Schmuck writes and anyone can easily see its the same guy...

but don't Fear Piglett, you're secret is safe with us....

we won't tell a soul...no, really
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 68 gr Hornady BTHP in 223 - 06/16/15
Sorry Dude but it isn't worth the cost of admission.
The little twig thinks he's doing something that no one else has done.
I want to see him chuck all his fancy schit and do it the old way when Alaska was just getting settled. No phone, no cameras, no scopes, black powder cartridge/ or muzzie on horse back with no one to save your ass within a couple hundred miles. Break a leg or lose your horse and you die.
Chop them damn trees with an axe. In other words do it like the real men. rough it and tough it on your own.
Brag all he wants, but the truth is a lot of people did the same thing as him with a lot less. Some lived some didn't. Oh and to throw a kinker in the mix, have every Indian and white man on the trek trying to kill your azz.
He hasn't done nothing. Just a short little fat twig blowing in the wind making himself feel like an all American he dwarf.
Why? Because that's all he's got.
LMAO at the blowhard.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I know this isn't much of a group so don't laugh me off the campfire.

620yds - steel is 12"x12" ar500

620 yards? That looks pretty reasonable to me, and probably a lot more honest than what some post. No laughing here.

Thanks

I shot pretty good today, not every day is this good. I shot last week with a very accurate 7wsm and couldn't hit crap.
Bearcat,

I think there are darn few who can shoot a 7WSM as well as a 223...nothing to be sorry for regarding that...

I think I got lazy on my breathing as every miss with the 7wsm was high. I would do pretty good and hit 3-4 in a row and then miss the next 2-3 high. I usually shoot much better with it, I know I like the 162 amax when I'm not being a goober.

This longer range stuff will show you pretty quick your flaws and lazy habits.
I think the extended mag is a must-have, after testing one a bit. Have only gotten out to the range once with it, but fiddled with it at length beforehand, cycling dummies and checking for flaws. None found. Haven't checked on SAS's progress for production of these yet, and the one I have was graciously loaned to me.

I fiddled around with my stock, using tape to tape the fore end down the way that Stick did, and saw the vertical dispersion tighten up a bit, but not enough to my liking. I got some epoxy putty and bedded the shank just past the forward lug the way that a few guys have done, described in the Long Range forum. Haven't gotten out to test it yet. Been a hectic time. Hoping next week. My nephews need to get out too.

As far as my results with 68 Hornadys, the best of my tests was CFE for accuracy. I didn't run them over a chrono, but should be around 3k. Settled on 26.0gr, and .025" off lands, with Fed205M. Can't find my shooting notes for that day right now, but I recall that H4895 and Varget ended up getting more and more accurate the more I leaned on them. I liked the groups I got at the top, but the primers got very cratered, and the CFE was more accurate w/o pressure. I could likely load over 26 gr, but I only wanted about 3k fps.

Have moved on to working up for 75gr Amax. Having had such good experiences with CFE, I'm starting there, and seating at the lands. Hoping the stock fix tightens up the vertical!
I got some epoxy putty and bedded the shank just past the forward lug the way that a few guys have done, described in the Long Range forum. Haven't gotten out to test it yet. Been a hectic time. Hoping next week. My nephews need to get out too.

I'd keep the barrel nut and shank floated and bed the forward portion of the receiver if you're going to use the cookie dough epoxy. When I bedded the nut and shank the rifle was sensitive to action screw torque and barrel heat.

The milk-jug in the pics below has the forward receiver bedded, and nothing else. The action screws are farmer tight and it shoots lights out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I fiddled around with my stock, using tape to tape the fore end down the way that Stick did, and saw the vertical dispersion tighten up a bit, but not enough to my liking. I got some epoxy putty and bedded the shank just past the forward lug the way that a few guys have done, described in the Long Range forum. Haven't gotten out to test it yet. Been a hectic time. Hoping next week. My nephews need to get out too.

As far as my results with 68 Hornadys, the best of my tests was CFE for accuracy. I didn't run them over a chrono, but should be around 3k. Settled on 26.0gr, and .025" off lands, with Fed205M. Can't find my shooting notes for that day right now, but I recall that H4895 and Varget ended up getting more and more accurate the more I leaned on them. I liked the groups I got at the top, but the primers got very cratered, and the CFE was more accurate w/o pressure. I could likely load over 26 gr, but I only wanted about 3k fps.

Have moved on to working up for 75gr Amax. Having had such good experiences with CFE, I'm starting there, and seating at the lands. Hoping the stock fix tightens up the vertical!

An update on the Ruger American white-trash gunsmithing: the epoxy putty bedding did a fine job of getting rid of the vertical dispersion I was seeing. Took it out today and was getting five-shot clusters 3/4" and under with a few different loads and bullets. Of the loads I'd already worked up, no group was bigger than 3/4". I am very, very pleased with this $5 and half-hour fix!

It makes me giggle like a kid at Christmas thinking that a $350 LH rifle with a $250 scope ended up being such a shooter! Now to see to purchasing one or a couple extended mags...thanks again for the loan, Seafire!
© 24hourcampfire