Home
In the near future am hoping to purchase an complete upper with a 1 in 8 twist. I am a big fan of Sierra bullets and they are about the most accurate bullets that I have tried in my current AR. I was thinking of going with the 77 sierra tmk for long range shooting but my local sporting goods stores including Cabelas, Sportsmens warehouse or Scheels don't carry them. I can get them online at Midway for $25.99 but shipping will add to the cost, was in Scheels the other day and they had the Hornady 75 gr HPBT match bullets for $18.99, has anybody had any experience with this two bullets, any help or advice is appreciated.
Remember that bullet weight is almost irrelevant, length is what you care about when talking stability.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Look up the lengths on the left if you need to, then plug in your specifics.
I've been using 77gr Nosler CC's for a long time in a few different 9-twist bolt guns. I'm not keen on running nuclear velocities in anything, and they stabilize perfectly fine.

Remember that the link is an idea, not a fact. Barrel smoothness will play a role in this.
Also velocity decay happens quickly, but rotational is very slow. So bullet will "Gain" stability as they travel down range.
The Hornady 75 HPBT is a peach in a 1-8" twist AR.
In each of my 223s with the faster twist, the 75 HPBT is more accurate than the 75 A Max....and is actually more accurate than any other match bullet... the next best is the 80 grain A Max...
I use the 75 gr Hornady HPBTs in two 1/8 ARs on top of Benchmark.
Shoot really well for me.
Thanks for the information.
Not with the 77, but I have been shooting the 75 HDY HPBT Match for a long time from Savage Varmint Rifles and my Stag Model 6 Super Varminter.

I use PPU/Prvi-Partizan brass, CCI BR-4's, and 23.7gr of Varget loaded to magazine length. Although the Hornady manual lists this as a max load, both rifle types show only marginal pressure signs.

I am not a proponent of max velocity loads.

My rifles both bear 24" 1:8" bores.

I have a 16" 1:9" Upper but haven't even considered it for the 75's. Maybe I should try them.

Greg
I'm in the process of working up a good all around load for the hornady 75g bthp. I have loads that shoot really well in one gun and horrible in the next. I'm hoping to find something that works decent in most of them. Hopefully with a powder that meters decent and then I'll just load a bunch on the progressive.

Trying to please 3 AR's and 2 bolt guns with one load. All are 7 or 8 twist.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire