Home
Good day.

I recently loaded up some 75 VLDs for my 1:9 Savage 223. I was a little short on time to test the loads at longer distance but at 100m the best load shot two five shot groups in the .3-.4s

The question I have is, what are the chances of this bullet not being stable at around 200m? Have any of you guys seen the 75 VLD shooting well at 100 and bad at 200?

Thanks

Pieter
From my experience with this bullet it really needs a 1-8" twist, you might get it to shoot well one day but a change in conditions and it will start keyholeing at 100y or m
At least in mine, a 12BVSS with a one in 9 twist, it has not experienced any stability problems with ANY 75 to 80 grain bullets I have shot in it...at any distance...

of course you're mileage may vary, so to speak...
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Gotta know velocity and the intangible, barrel smoothness.

If they fly straight at 100 they will at 200 also. Be sure to try them in the coldest weather you will encounter, if the stability is on the ragged edge that may be the tipping point
I hope they perform as good at 200 as 100 as they really shoot well. When I tried them it was extremely dry conditions and mild temp. It is starting to heat up now and in the next few months humidity will increase quite a bit. Guess I will just need try them out in different conditions and see how it goes.

Pieter
I had a 9 twist Savage and had good luck with various 75 grain bullets in Temps from 25 to 95 F at 1200 to 3000 feet of elevation.
My guess is you will be fine
Originally Posted by m77
The question I have is, what are the chances of this bullet not being stable at around 200m?

Zero.

Travis
Thanks for the info. Just for interest sake, the groups I shot was around 6000 feet above sea level. If I understand correctly the bullet would be 'more' stable at lower altitude?

Thanks

Pieter
Less stable the closer you get to the ocean.

If you fugk with this it will tell you a lot. Not as much as actually shooting them, but...

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Travis

© 24hourcampfire