Home
This may have been brought up before, for gophers, p. dogs etc. where high volume shooting is involved, do you clean the primer pockets of your rifle ammo? I always have since that is how my mentor taught me it should be done.. But that teaching was over 50 years ago.. What do you say?
Nope.
I used to uniform them and also de-burr the flash holes. Didn't see any advantage for me after loading a batch where I skipped these steps.
No. Gave up cleaning primer pockets many years ago.
Thanks guys, this will save me a bunch of extra work!!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nope.

me either...only remove media from cleaning of course

otherwise a waste of time.....p/dog...gopher..coyote...

will never know the difference......
If you call pin tumbeling cleaning primer pockets then yes I do on occasion for personal satisfaction. Would not sweat it to much either way.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Nope.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
No. Gave up cleaning primer pockets many years ago.

and this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only if I am extremely bored.
Yep. Always. I do it with my pistol ammo, too.

(I know, there's one in every crowd. :))

Tom
I used to uniform them. Now I just use the Holland tool in a drill. Takes no time at all.
I tried shooting some groups with my .222 & .223 without cleaning the primer pockets.. As most know, the groups were excellent! Thanks for the help!
I'm in the camp that quit the time killing habit years ago also. Haven't seen any reason to start doing it again.
i uniform the pocket and flash hole after first firing, then leave them alone
making everything as uniform as possible is a waste !! but most don't have gun or skill to take advantage of such whistle
Originally Posted by ldholton
making everything as uniform as possible is a waste !! but most don't have gun or skill to take advantage of such whistle

tell me more about that

the only waste i can see is the wasted time, when i could be drinking beer

yes I clean them everytime I load
Waste of time
The way I shoot, it would be like putting premium gas in a 85 Chevy Pickup. Might make me feel better, but aint gonna help a bit!
I clean them but and I am retired and the winters are long.

drover
I don't but did for a short time,just tried 3 cases 204 R,22-250 and 30-06.Seems like the almost new tool didn't do much anyhow.My reloads always fire so I don't see the need.A case would be trashed from sizing before enough black soot would build up to cause a problem.Even if you anneal your brass.
Yes, I religiously clean all my primer pockets. I tried to stop once, but I just can't help myself.

Just today I took a break from swabbing out the inside of my garden hoses and cleaning the lint out of my navel to scrub out a few primer pockets.
© 24hourcampfire