Home
I picked up one of the all weather with 22" 1:8 barrels. I got a little range time today to test some initial loads.
I loaded Barnes 53 tsx over TAC and Winchester 64 PP over the same. Tried 5 different powder charge weights for each.

The tsx averaged from 1.3 the smallest and 3.5 the largest.
The PP ranged from 2.5 down to .56". A second group was .667 at a different charge. Pretty excited about that. 23.5 and 24.5 grain charges. Interestingly, the 24.0 charge was 2.5 inches. Pretty sure I am close to the nodes
Unfortunately, my chronograph was not working properly, so no velocity readings with any of my hand loads. I got some readings with the factory loads earlier in the session. But as long as I am in the safe load range, I want accuracy.
Made it back to the range today. After discovering my scope bases were loose, retightening all screws and added thread lock. Still managed .55" group with 64 PP over 24.5 gr of TAC. The 23.5 grain load had 3 shots at .67, with 2 fliers that opened up the group to 1.5 or 1.7 inches. Going to proceed with the higher load. Was producing a tad over 2900 and the 23.5 was mid to upper 2700s.
My buddy's really liked 69 gr HPBTs & a stout load of RL15.
I will start playing around with the RL15 after a trip out west. I have piles of that powder but wanted to try the tac based on some loading data I had read. But at least I have a starting point.
I have had great success with 24.5gr of Varget using both a 63gr Sierra and a 64gr Federal bonded bullet in my Ruger American Ranch Rifle.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with the WW 64gr bullets.

Ed
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I will start playing around with the RL15 after a trip out west. I have piles of that powder but wanted to try the tac based on some loading data I had read. But at least I have a starting point.

68 grain BTHPs from Hornady are accurate in mine...

25 grains of AR Comp, yields some good velocity to them also...

AR Comp is a temp insensitive version of RL 15.
Salmonhead

TAC works best at near max pressure so the work up loads may not be representative until you reach higher pressures.
Thanks. Good to know. First time I've tried it. So far my best load was at or near max. I'll play with it more when I get back from the goat hunt. Just haven't had enough time. Too much darn work.
65grn Sierra's on top of 24.5 grn of IMR4320 is a great load in my RAR.

75grn amax over 23.5 grn of H4895 is another good one.
My 223 predator has been kinda fussy.

It does like 75gr amax with 24.5 gr. RL-15 for 2850fps.

I have done the mag extension so I can seat the amax close to the lands.

This load makes me happy. smile
© 24hourcampfire