Home
Posted By: Pharmseller Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 01/30/17
I picked up some 70 grain RDF bullets today to try in my 1-8" Tikka T3 .223.

Does anyone have experience with this bullet? I'm looking for some load recommendations.

P
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 01/30/17
I'll be interested in other's experiences too. I bought a few hundred from Shooter's Pro Shop a couple of weeks ago but haven't loaded any yet
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I'll be interested in other's experiences too. I bought a few hundred from Shooter's Pro Shop a couple of weeks ago but haven't loaded any yet

I picked mine up today at Nosler in Bend, $14.95/100. What did you pay?

P
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 01/31/17
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I picked mine up today at Nosler in Bend, $14.95/100. What did you pay?

P

I think that's about what they were at SPS. I had a pretty big order with several other bullets and I figured I'd give 'em a try.
Nosler said to use the 69 grain 5.56 load data, and recommended TAC.

Here's what 24.5 gr looks like at 3 different OAL.

[Linked Image]

I'll try Varget next if I need to.

P
I loaded some up in my 223ai. I used 24.8grs of h322 based on my ladder results. I then shot 5 groups at vaired seating depths. My gun likes a kiss. I found that downrange they are SLICK. they don't group quite as well as the 80gr custom comp for me yet.....but still going under .5moa.

I zapped a porky at 100 yds and it stopped instantly not a huge mess. I hit a coyote at 470 and it was similar to the custom competition.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 02/05/17
I worked up a load in a RPR 22" 1.8 twist barrel.

Lapua brass
Rem primer
CFE 223 28.0 grains, it shot a low ES and tight groups at 3,130 mv average.

Little steep on the speed, I'll drop it a grain.

Taking into consideration that this bullet has a .416 BC it should fly long and be a flat shooter as well.
Great for a varmint calling rifle.

I am really liking the bullet, a lot.

RL 15 25.0 grain shot at an average of 2,800 mv.

N540 26.0 grain shot at 3,000 mv

Bob, I have taken two coyotes at 735yds and 680 yds with this bullet. The .416 works for me and if anything, I tend to miss high.
Posted By: devnull Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 02/13/17
I have a Tikka .223 with a 1/10 twist. Think they will stabilize?
No

P
Posted By: devnull Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 02/14/17
What twist will stabilize them?
Originally Posted by devnull
What twist will stabilize them?
my 1:8 AR15 is showing promise with them.
Mine is 1:8
I grabbed a couple pounds of 8208xbr and it shot the rdf's into the .2's or better with great velocity. I have settled on a load using it.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 02/14/17
Originally Posted by high_country_
I grabbed a couple pounds of 8208xbr and it shot the rdf's into the .2's or better with great velocity. I have settled on a load using it.

I'm assuming a bolt gun?

I've been working with these a little in an AR15, but haven't had much luck so far due to mag length constraints. Too bad, I want to like them.
How much jump does it have when loaded to the mag length?
At normal mag length (2.260" OAL) the jump is ~.155" in my 223 Wylde chamber, seems like a lot but this is one really pointy little bullet!

With some magazine modification I can get that down to ~.045", but it requires cutting open the front of the magazines.

How much jump in yours?

FWIW the 75gr Hornady BTHP jumps .090" in that barrel and shoots great.
I am jumping. 015". Hopefully you can get them to work.
Good to know, thanks. I haven't given up yet, I really want these to work.

As a side note, it's not the same as shooting animals of course but I did fire some of these into water jugs next to some 75gr Hornady BTHP (all 5.56 loads). Performance was very similar, and the Nosler bullet had no trouble fragmenting, which I wondered about with the tiny tip. I didn't take any pictures, but the number of jugs damaged and the amount of damage to each jug was very similar to the 75gr Hdy. For whatever that's worth...

Sounds like your results on coyotes were also similar to the common 75 & 77 gr match bullets?
I've killed half a dozen yotes and two porkys from 100 yds to 735yds. They are instant death.

I hit the range yesterday and took the .223 with me to shoot while the barrel cooled on the 7 Rem Mag.

I had replaced the VX2 3-9 CDS with an FX3 12x40 AO with target turrets. I used some 50 grain TTSX to get on paper at 50 yards and the bullets overlapped. I moved to 100 and shot the 50s again to confirm.

First up was the longest of the three 70 grain loads. They shot okay, around .75", but I wasn't impressed. Then I tried the middle load.

Holy Hannah, the clouds parted and the angels sang. Remember, I bought this thing used for a song.

[Linked Image]

That's three shots into 0.103". I think I'll keep it. Next up is the chronograph.

P
Posted By: Yondering Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 02/27/17
Nice shootin.

Can you tell us your jump to the lands with that best load?
Originally Posted by Yondering
Nice shootin.

Can you tell us your jump to the lands with that best load?

No idea. It's a Tikka so I'm constrained by the magazine length. I'll bet its quite a jump.

P
Posted By: Yondering Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 02/28/17
OK, thanks. I'm constrained by mag length too, in an AR, so if you get a chance to measure what the jump is that's working for you, I'd be really interested to know.

I'm still working on this bullet, but haven't done much with it since posting earlier in the thread.
I chronographed four loads this afternoon, high of 2916, low 2893 (ES 23), average 2905. Better than I expected. Nosler's test barrel was a 1-7" 20" so I figured for a 22" add about 65 fps. Not far off.

P
Posted By: Freddy Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 03/01/17

Does anyone have experience with this bullet? I'm looking for some load recommendations.

P

I picked up a box last week, the people at Nosler told me to use the data for the 69 gr custom comp, I am planning on trying CFE 223 and A2520.
Originally Posted by Freddy

P

I picked up a box last week, the people at Nosler told me to use the data for the 69 gr custom comp, I am planning on trying CFE 223 and A2520.

If you have access to TAC you should try it.

P
Posted By: Freddy Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 03/02/17
I have me Tac on hand but not enough to develop a load, I want good along with good velocity, CFE and A2520 have done well for me in the past.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 03/02/17
I'm using a 22-250ai with the 70rdf getting 3400 with 42.4 of RL26. Good accuracy.
I have me Tac on hand but not enough to develop a load, I want good along with good velocity, CFE and A2520 have done well for me in the past.

What velocity are you hoping for?

P
Posted By: Freddy Re: Nosler 70 grain RDF .223 - 03/05/17

What velocity are you hoping for?

P

About 2800 fps, I have a load using CFE 223 with the Sierra 69 gr tmk that runs 2820 out of my AR with an 18 1/2 inch barrel.
© 24hourcampfire