Home
Posted By: RodL Barnes Varminator loads? - 06/07/06
Barnes doesn't list the Varminator bullet line in their manual. Anyone shooting them? Any resource for load data will be helpful. 6mm 72gr Varminator. Thanks.
What's a premium bullet maker like Barnes doing making a bullet that is known for deep penetration doing with a bullet that is suppose to be 'explosive' ? Never have heard about them. But I guess from what you say they are into 'grenade' bullets now. Do they have lead in the bullets or just a long very deep hollow point ?

Am going after antelope with a 243 and even though I'm a fan of Barnes bullets, I don't think I'll be using a deep penetrating X type bullet here. With light skin and light weight game, IMO, the most important aspect a bullet needs is accuracy. Although I witnessed a 280 take an antelope at less than 75 yards and the bullet was going so fast it failed to open up till hitting the far shoulder blade and left a fist size wound on the outgoing side. That antelope went a long time with us after it before finally taking a second hit at 250 yards and going down for good.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Barnes Varminator loads? - 06/07/06
I use them and like them very much. Use Speer TNT data and you'll be fine. For those unaware, the Varminator is a standard core and jacket hollowpoint. No coating, no magic, just an affordable, effective varmint vaporizer. There are at least 500 fewer PDs in SW Wyoming this spring because of them.
© 24hourcampfire