Home
Posted By: websterparish47 Old shells - 11/27/11
An older neighbor gave me two boxes of Winchester shot shells. They were paper hull,brass head (not brass colored like today), 1 1/4 ounce #2s. Had no use for #2s so using an ice pick I opened the crimp, poured out the 2s and put in 1 1/4 ounces of #6s and recrimped. They shot great and oh I love the smell from those hulls. Wanted to reload them but every rim split.
Posted By: erich Re: Old shells - 11/28/11
If you love that smell buy some PB powder and reload with it, you'll get that same great smell with any hull.

I started loading some low pressure 2 1/2" shells with PB damn it smells good.

erich
Posted By: PeteD Re: Old shells - 12/16/11
A few years ago, I picked up about 1200 or so used paper hulls that were at bid on eBay. No one wanted them. Mostly, they were/are Federal Gold Medal. Maybe 80% were usable....and I have been reloading them since. I was able to get a number of loadings out of the "better" hulls before they started to come apart - the crimp starts to shred.
They have a particular smell to them that sets them apart from plastic hulls.
Pete
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Old shells - 12/19/11
Originally Posted by PeteD
A few years ago, I picked up about 1200 or so used paper hulls that were at bid on eBay. No one wanted them. Mostly, they were/are Federal Gold Medal. Maybe 80% were usable....and I have been reloading them since. I was able to get a number of loadings out of the "better" hulls before they started to come apart - the crimp starts to shred.
They have a particular smell to them that sets them apart from plastic hulls.
Pete
What powder do you use? Which wads?
Posted By: PeteD Re: Old shells - 12/19/11
Powder and wads.
I load them for Trap shooting. I use 1 1/8oz. of shot, Federal 12C1 wad or the 12S3, Federal 209A primer, 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo. Six point crimp.
Pete
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old shells - 12/20/11
Ha ha. A few years my buddy and I were bird hunting, and I was using up a stash of old paper hulled shells. I dropped a pheasant and tossed him the empty hull to get a whiff of that sweet smell and darned if another bird got up from between us! There we were sniffing empty shells and laughing at our foolishness!
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Old shells - 12/21/11
:>)
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Old shells - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by PeteD
Powder and wads.
I load them for Trap shooting. I use 1 1/8oz. of shot, Federal 12C1 wad or the 12S3, Federal 209A primer, 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo. Six point crimp.
Pete

Might be wrong but I think that is pretty close to how Federal loads them from the factory to. Cut an older one open the other day and would have bet my last dime on it being Red Dot powder. Great smell Magnum Man
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Old shells - 01/01/12
I have some old paper hulled 12 gauge pumpkin balls (not rifle slugs)that the balls were wrapped in horse hair as a kind of patch I guess
Posted By: Hubert Re: Old shells - 01/05/12
Using old paper shells are ok, but I will not reload them. if the base wad absorbs any moisture it will come loose from the bottom of the shell and can be sucked down the barrel. and the next shot leaves a nice ring on your barrel. or could split it..

I used to see a lot of that, when solid plastic shells came out that problem stopped.

The biggest problem was when people picked up empties at the shooting range. eek
Posted By: dewartt Re: Old shells - 01/10/12
i like the smell of black powder and magnum loads.lol. also i typicaly use 8pt crimps, which is stronger or "better"?
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Old shells - 01/10/12
I don't know which crimp is better. When reloading I just use whatever was originally used by the factory for that hull.
Posted By: Mssgn Re: Old shells - 02/26/12
Originally Posted by websterparish47
An older neighbor gave me two boxes of Winchester shot shells. They were paper hull,brass head (not brass colored like today), 1 1/4 ounce #2s. Had no use for #2s so using an ice pick I opened the crimp, poured out the 2s and put in 1 1/4 ounces of #6s and recrimped. They shot great and oh I love the smell from those hulls. Wanted to reload them but every rim split.

If you still have no use for the #2 shot I'd be happy to pay shipping to get it!
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Old shells - 02/26/12
Originally Posted by Mssgn
Originally Posted by websterparish47

If you still have no use for the #2 shot I'd be happy to pay shipping to get it!
Ha, its been more than 30 years but I still have some. I loaded some for high flying crows. Probably enough left for a box. Send me a PM with name and address and I'll send 'em.
© 24hourcampfire