Home
Posted By: roundoak Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 01/22/12
Was cleaning out and organizing drawers and cabinets in the man cave this morning and forgot I had this. Grandpa's shotshell roll crimp tool and primer tool.

I am sure most of us are too young to have used such tools. grin
[Linked Image]
cool never seen them before.i am definately too young to have used them tools
Way COOL Roundoak and priceless. Makes a guy want to break out the Feltan Bluestreak wads,nitro cards, old paper roll crimp hulls,Herco, and chilled 6's for some tight choke spreader loads on the old double gun. I still put some of the old loads together occ. just to experience in some period shotguns. Magnum Man
Posted By: roundoak Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 01/22/12
You are really serious about this retro stuff.
Yeah well, those of us who own and shoot 7x57's are serious shooters you know? Magnum Man
I have a set of these, with some additional tools, that were my Greatgrandad's. He used them to load for his old Elsie. I started reloading with them, until I got a Lee Loader, and eventually a Mec. One quickly learned lesson. That priming tool is made for brass cases. If you use it to prime cardboard or plastic shotshell cases, you will dish the case head. When you fire that load, the unsupported primer will back out, and the case will move down the barrel and be stuck partway down the bore. You have to pound pretty hard on pieces of dowel rod to get it out. Note, the use of the word pieces. Otherwise, they make good loads. I still use it to load my roll crimped black powder shells.
Bfly
Anything done the old way is just cool.
Posted By: PeteD Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/05/12
I am sure most of us are too young to have used such tools

Heh. Most of ya. I have a couple of sets as pictured and use them fairly regularly. Not for Trap loads....I have MECs for that but for roll crimped hunting loads or the occasional set of roll crimped paper hulls for Trap singles, that roll crimp tool cannot be be beat. It is faster and makes a better crimp than any of the modern drill press roll crimpers.
Here's a couple of pics, slugs and paper hulls:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/05/12
Nice looking reloads there.

I put Granddad's tools back in the box and stored them. After seeing your pics I changed my mind and going to roll some in the next couple of days.

Blackfly stated the priming tool is for brass cases and there can be trouble with paper or plastic hulls. Did you prime the cases with an old school priming tool?

Wayne
Posted By: PeteD Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/06/12
Blackfly is correct. The tool that you have is for pressing large pistol primers into brass cases like the current Magtech/CBC hulls. If used to seat 209 primers, the smallish pin on the tool pushes the primer part further into its battery cup as the whole thing is seated and you will not get reliable (or any) ignition when loaded into a gun as the primer may be too far from the firing pin to get a reliable hit.
The solution is effective but very slow - maybe you can improve upon it. I take a dime and place it between the pin of the tool and the 209 primer. The dime covers the primer and pushes it in undamaged.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/06/12
Thanks for the dime tip....
Posted By: woody1 Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/06/12
Originally Posted by PeteD
The solution is effective but very slow - maybe you can improve upon it. I take a dime and place it between the pin of the tool and the 209 primer. The dime covers the primer and pushes it in undamaged.

YUP, a dime or, I use a fender washer, seats the new fangled primers just fine. Those old tools still work, but for me, work best with paper for roll crimping. Regards, Woody
Posted By: PeteD Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/07/12
work best with paper for roll crimping.

Ah! The smell of paper hulls on the wind.

Pete
Posted By: roundoak Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/07/12
Sweet or sour?

I think I will start a thread on memorable scents in the outdoors.
Posted By: PeteD Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/07/12
Sweet or sour?

Dunno. How would you describe that unique smell of a fired paper hull? Kinda a thing all its own.

Pete
Posted By: seeooo13 Re: Pre- Lee shotshell loader - 02/10/12
Good job
I have one in every gauge, and love 'em!
They are just too cool, gotta get them hung up however, for now they are sitting in a drawer, and stuff like that should be on a shelf so you can admire it!
Cat
© 24hourcampfire