Home
Anybody ever load .69 roundballs in 12 gauge shells?
Back in the 80's I did and had great results with using them. Had a special barrel made up for a Mossberg 395 and patched the ball.
Thanks. I have a 12 gauge slug mold but was casting round balls for my musket and wondered if it was a viable option. I tested the first two loads opting for 11 gauge fiber wads between Herco powder and ball rather than adding the extra diameter of a shot cup.  POI at 15 yards from my coach gun was about a foot high and 8 inches apart. Not something I would rely on to hunt with but nice to know it can be done!
I was using them in shotgun match's and they were shooting 1 1/8" groups at 100 yards, using a big ball like that it was cutting a one hole group. I loaded them in AA's cases and my velocity ran 1825fps. I used them for hunting and they did a great job on deer, pigs, and groundhogs, leveled anything they hit. Now that you started this thread I think I'm going to dust off the old Mossberg and play with it some. I looked and I have 350 rounds loaded for it.
Some of the guys used them in a standard rifled shotgun barrel using AA wads and they where shooting 1 3/4" to 2" groups at 100 yards. My barrel was a special bore so I was using round ball and patch like a muzzle loader. I wouldn't even bat a eye about taking them out hunting, like I said they leveled all the deer I ever shot with them. That a big chunk of lead going down range and with that level of accuracy there better than any slug load you can buy today.
© 24hourcampfire