Home
I'm thinking of selling off a few rifles I don't use anymore, what is the shipping cost for a rifle these days? What is the prefered carrier?

Thanks in advanced
All depends on where it's going and how much it weighs. An average would be $40.00 per gun including insurance. I use UPS almost exclusively.
I think the last one I shipped via ups was around $40 with insurance.

So, about these rifles you have...

yep this ^^^^
I find USPS priority mail to be the easiest. $35-40 depending on insurance.
I just shipped a rifle from Florida to Nebraska using USPS Priority mail. I paid $49, and it arrived in 2 days. Box was considered oversized, so I paid a little extra for that.
I had read that recently, shipping had increased significantly? That doesn't sound to bad.
UPS is to far away from me to be convenient, will probably have to go with FedEx (Ground).

(It's a couple/3 of (JM) Marlin 1894CB's in 45 Colt. All in varying conditions from beater truck gun to like new custom build.) Will post up when I have a full set of pics and shipping costs.

Thanks
My experience has been that it really depends on where it is going, what it weighs, and the box dimensions.

I am in central NY, shipped one via USPS priority in a 48"x8"x8" to central PA, $35 and one to WY same method but 48"x14"x5", $61. The WY receipt was interesting, it had "Weight: 8 lb 4.6 oz. but the next line was "Dim. Weight: 21 lb".

I have found there are USPS shipping cost levels based on the sum of the dimensions (48+14+5 = 67, 48+7+7 = 64), that may have something to do with it too. Tried to ship a fishing rod, when the sum got over 96, I believe, the cost went from $12 to $80! Trimmed the box to the minimum safe size and shipped it for $12.

Would suggest picking who you want to ship with and plug in some data, see what it will cost.
30-50 bucks. Depends on distance and insurance. you can do a cost estimator on FEDEX.
To and from Alaska USPS cheapest and fastest and best service. UPS will be double usually or more and slower.
Consider: If you have a high dollar it might be worth using USPS Registered Mail. Additional cost is around 20$, and security is wonderful.
I shipped barreled action UPS and it was $32 for the ride from KY to NM but the insurance was another $35.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
To and from Alaska USPS cheapest and fastest and best service. UPS will be double usually or more and slower.

Precisely.
And quite frankly, rather than waste money on USPS insurance, I’d rather pay more to the shipper for extra packaging. The only time I’ve tried to collect on insurance USPS would not pay. They played “the packaging wasn’t adequate” angle - rather than acknowledge the herd of elephants that had trod upon the shipment box.
Those costs of $40 are very good prices. In the past few months I shipped four rifles to various locations around the country, three in their factory boxes inside a cover box and all of them were around $50 or more. I used FedEx ground when possible but I did use USPS for one. The most expensive was an MRC 1999 in the factory box which is very large, it was about $90 with full insurance and that price was similar across all three shippers, UPS, FedEx and USPS.

Just a couple of years ago it was possible to ship a rifle with adult signature and full insurance for around $35 but I haven't seen that for a while.

The box dimensions or to be more specific the total cubic inches can add greatly to the cost, as much if not more so than weight. It jumps a lot once you hit a certain threshold. I tried to use 48x6x6 boxes but going to a 51" box - just 3" longer - went over that threshold and added over $10 to one package. The specific address plays a part for UPS and FedEx, particularly if it's a residential or rural address where they have to drive extra miles to deliver the one package. Adult signature required adds some $5 or more.

Least expensive way I've found is to take the rifle apart if possible and pack it in a 36x6x6 box, that will get the cost down to below $40 even with adult signature and insurance in the $600-800 range.
Jim / where do you get your boxes?

My PO has their own rules. They will not accecpt firearms.

I have UPS in my shop every week.

Last week I shipped a package about 600 miles VIA UPS. weight 11lbs. size 54" X 4" X 8".

Insured for $1500 cost in US $ 58 .00.

Take it from there.
If you can get to a UPS Customer Service Center (not a UPS store) it's been averaging $35-40 without insurance and then $46ish with $600-700 of insurance. That's usually for 3-day delivery with a tracking #.
Originally Posted by Remington725
Jim / where do you get your boxes?

There is a local store that sells them, Dixon Container, or for better per box prices the U-Haul website is good. This page shows several sizes:

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/1/Shipping-Boxes/

You might find per box prices even cheaper on line but most container suppliers require you to buy in quantities of 25 or more. You can buy one box from U-Haul if that's all you need. Shipping added a bit to it but bottom line was still a bit less than buying locally.

Read the reviews, they're kind of funny and true. I ordered 5 each of the 48x6x6 and 36x6x6 and they arrived in a huge, very sturdy flat box some 60x48x3". Which was an added bonus since I cut it in two on the edges and now have two 4x5', thick cardboard sheets. I use one under my motorcycle when changing the oil or doing other maintenance and have yet to find a use for the other one except perhaps to cut it up as target backers.

Get yer boxes at a gun shop.

They throw many away.
Last time I shipped myself, about a year ago, UPS was around $35 from KS to FL. Anymore I just drop 'em off at my local FFL and he boxes 'em up & mails them for around $60 bucks. It's worth the the convenience.
Originally Posted by skeen
Last time I shipped myself, about a year ago, UPS was around $35 from KS to FL. Anymore I just drop 'em off at my local FFL and he boxes 'em up & mails them for around $60 bucks. It's worth the the convenience.

That’s a damn good deal!
I shipped a rifle last fall for $37 and change to colorado. Shipped a similar rifle a few weeks ago in exactly the same box, to colorado, it was$65. Just got a quote on Friday to ship a small handgun, $42 to Montana.
For the rifles, FedX and UPSs were higher. Wish I could get the prices you folks are getting.
Bfly
I have shipped several in the last few months. $40-45 at USPS, Priority Mail with insurance. My lgs gives me boxes.
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I shipped a rifle last fall for $37 and change to colorado. Shipped a similar rifle a few weeks ago in exactly the same box, to colorado, it was$65. Just got a quote on Friday to ship a small handgun, $42 to Montana.
For the rifles, FedX and UPSs were higher. Wish I could get the prices you folks are getting.
Bfly

Your experience is similar to mine. Must be the "Northam" taxes. wink
Depends a lot on the weight, and total distance of the trip. I use USPS exclusively, as its routinely quicker than UPS...averages anywhere from $30-50 with insurance (sometimes more, depending on the insurance amount).
$80 from Ok to PA with $2k insurance. Last week. Usps.
$42 from Dallas TX to somewhere in TN. 22lbs insured for $2k. Fedex last week. Transit time 2 days.
$28 from Dallas TX to Orange, TX. 12lbs insured for $500. USPS couple weeks ago. Transit time 8 days.
After reading here a bit, I assume that an individual without a FFL, can ship to a dealer through USPS? Thinkin of cullin a few.
Originally Posted by Shortgrub
After reading here a bit, I assume that an individual without a FFL, can ship to a dealer through USPS? Thinkin of cullin a few.

Long guns only. No handguns, only an FFL holder can ship handguns through the mail.
Originally Posted by cisco1

My PO has their own rules. They will not accecpt firearms.

I have UPS in my shop every week.

Last week I shipped a package about 600 miles VIA UPS. weight 11lbs. size 54" X 4" X 8".

Insured for $1500 cost in US $ 58 .00.

Take it from there.

Go online to USPS.com and order your own postage scale and print your labels for shipping your self.Your mailman will pick the rifle up himself and you can tell your Post Office Hitler to go fugg himself.
Between $50 and $60 USPS. I used to ship FedEx because they had a hub near where I worked, they were charging $63-$67 and that caused me to go to the Post Office. I recently shipped a rifle to a Fire member in Alaska and it was $64. My local one man Postmaster tells me it's "illegal" to ship firearms USPS so I have to go to a bigger PO about 3 miles away, what a PITA.
Last week.

A 54x14x4 box weighing 10# insured for $2k was $58 at ups.
I thought all complete firearms HAD to be shipped from an FFL?
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
I thought all complete firearms HAD to be shipped from an FFL?

No. You, as an individual, may ship a rifle out of state; but, it most be shipped to an FFL. You, as an individual may ship a rifle within your state to another individual, in your state, without an FFL. You, as an individual, may ship a pistol, in or out of state; but, it must go to an FFL and must be shipped via either UPS or FedEx.
I usually use ups. If I can keep it below the point where they charge an oversize fee, it's $40-45. Add $10 for the fee
I do whatever it takes to package a rifle so that it arrives in the same pristine shape that it was in when it left. I don’t worry about oversize charges or final weight or anything else. My most important objective is to make sure the rifle is packaged in such a way that it’ll be completely protected during shipping, and arrive in excellent shape. It costs whatever it costs. Fifty five to sixty five bucks if the receiving state isn’t too far away, up to 85 or 90 bucks if it’s farther away. Big deal. I recently shipped one to Alaska 2nd day Air and it was 225 bucks.
Just shipped a rifle from VA to VT fully insured at $600 for $35.10 using USPS Priority Mail.
Originally Posted by antlers
I do whatever it takes to package a rifle so that it arrives in the same pristine shape that it was in when it left. I don’t worry about oversize charges or final weight or anything else. My most important objective is to make sure the rifle is packaged in such a way that it’ll be completely protected during shipping, and arrive in excellent shape. It costs whatever it costs. Fifty five to sixty five bucks if the receiving state isn’t too far away, up to 85 or 90 bucks if it’s farther away. Big deal. I recently shipped one to Alaska 2nd day Air and it was 225 bucks.

You could hold a clinic on how to properly pack a rifle
I just shipped one box of cartridges to North Dakota and it cost $26.10. Highway robbery.

Same here. I just shipped a rifle from NY to TN with insurance for $52.65 via USPS. I triple boxed it and filled the gaps with foam and bubble wrap. I'd rather spend a little more and know it at least has a good chance of getting there in the same shape as when I sent it.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Same here. I just shipped a rifle from NY to TN with insurance for $52.65 via USPS. I triple boxed it and filled the gaps with foam and bubble wrap. I'd rather spend a little more and know it at least has a good chance of getting there in the same shape as when I sent it.

Good man.
As per the above, my preferred method these days is to use one of the cheap plastic gun cases I've received guns in or go buy a Walmart special gun case for $15-20 and ship in that , so I add that to the cost of shipping . Almost impossible to damage a rifle in one of those and I cover the case with cardboard so it is slightly less conspicuous... at least if there is damage, it will be pretty apparent and hard for the USPS, UPS, or FedEx to wiggle out of it....

With bolt action rifles, always remember to remove the bolt and put it in the box separately. The worst damage I've seen in shipped rifles has always been when the bolt was left in ....

My average shipping costs have been around $40 lately, but I've had guys ship to me that went a bit overboard and paid anywhere from $60- $200 for their shipping costs. Glad I wasn't on the hook for those bills... the shipping was included in our agreement...

Bob
I just shipped 2 boxes of 25.06 from MS to NC. At a UPS hub. 11$. Has to go to hub locations. Stores are a franchise and won't accept ammo. Probably not pistols either. But, I haven't tried. LOL
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I just shipped one box of cartridges to North Dakota and it cost $26.10. Highway robbery.

that would have to be some heavy ammo?
Originally Posted by robertham1
You could hold a clinic on how to properly pack a rifle.
Thank You Robert. My dealings with you and your brothers has been a distinct pleasure to me. I appreciate y’all.
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz

I just tell them it is books
© 24hourcampfire