Home
Am I the only one that thinks putting "rare" in an ad is stupid?

Either the buyer is interested and knows it's rare, or not because its not really rare.
šŸ‘
Sometimes buyers have no clue .

I look at ads with product names don't know WTF it is so I look to see what the item is

Then there's buyers ( in this case knives) I get guys looking to buy stuff thats rare and they just have no clue that they can't get it so easy

So sometimes people don't know it's rare ,then there's times when it's not rare and advertised as rare

Then sometimes you get medium when you asked for rare
Or Hard to find!
WTB - rare and hard to find Barrett fieldcraft in 7/08.

wink
It's amazing how many "RARE" guns are on gunbroker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
WTB - rare and hard to find Barrett fieldcraft in 7/08.

wink

šŸ‘
Which brings up a question I have, is this rare, hard to find, or both ?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It seems that many many call a gun rare simply because the serial number is unique!
Many fail to understand that rare or hard to find do not always equate to valuable. Sometimes they are rare because the company went out of business after making a small run because it was complete garbage. The ones that were bought got tossed in the landfill due to the same fact. Rare and hard to find.... but still garbage.
This is my point, really.

Originally Posted by Ronald_55
Many fail to understand that rare or hard to find do not always equate to valuable. Sometimes they are rare because the company went out of business after making a small run because it was complete garbage. The ones that were bought got tossed in the landfill due to the same fact. Rare and hard to find.... but still garbage.
Originally Posted by kenster99
Which brings up a question I have, is this rare, hard to find, or both ?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It will be easy to find (for me) when you box it up and mail it to me. grin
Oh hell no, just saw an ULTRA RARE 1911.
Selling for a good/great deal.
Life is good when we get to debate if someone describing an item for sale in the classifieds as ā€œrareā€ is dumb or not.

We are so fortunate.
I prefer to buy medium rare stuff.
An attempt to play the separation game. To separate buyer from his $$$$$$$..
Typically when I see ā€œrareā€ used in the description title, I breeze right over it. Not even looking. Seems to me, more times than not, their just asking more than itā€™s worth.
I agree with that. Vintage is another word that Ill breeze through.
I have yet to figure out why people put "For Sale - MY STUFF" in the subject - that tells the buyer nothing.

Or the powder and primers for sale or trade and can't ship but they don't list where they live. Those adds should have the location in the Subject so the 99% of people living too far away don't need to open it to try and find out if they live close enough.

But then........that kind of common sense is "rare".
I have a rare Winchester 308 model 100 for sale...Why is it rare you ask? I can find no other Winny 100 308s with the same serial number...YMMV...
What's rare is reading an ad not full of hyperbola.
And if it's spent most of its life in the closet it's automatically worth extra.
That must be why Obama commands such high speaking fees.
Rare means the seller values it more than the current market
Saw plain jane Colt 1911 at the flea market...guy asking 2500 dollars. I looked a little bit puzzled, so he says "these are rare now because Colt's has gone oughta business"
Only thing even more better is a true barn find.
But, on the other hand, look at how many of us got sucked in by the declaration of "rare" in the header!
I look at rare as if needed good luck finding parts.
I give credit to guys on this forum. If it says rare , it could be!
I have a pretty wife that loves to cook and shoot!
I felt pretty lucky to run into that rare one lol!
Is she a twin? Thatā€™d be rare.

I have a friend thatā€™s looking
How about "WOW' seems to also inflate the value of any item, according to the sellers. GW
Originally Posted by deadeyedan
I have yet to figure out why people put "For Sale - MY STUFF" in the subject - that tells the buyer nothing.

Or the powder and primers for sale or trade and can't ship but they don't list where they live. Those adds should have the location in the Subject so the 99% of people living too far away don't need to open it to try and find out if they live close enough.

But then........that kind of common sense is "rare".

When one sells bullshit sometimes less is more.
A woman that loves to cook, admires one's gun/ammo buying, swapping, selling, supports hunting/fishing, likes to shoot but demands to find her own ammo, & most importantly never complains. THAT IS RARE
Originally Posted by ATC
It's amazing how many "RARE" guns are on gunbroker

Yeah I like 1 of 1,000 madeā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.that day!
[quote=BladeRimfire]A woman that loves to cook, admires one's gun/ammo buying, swapping, selling, supports hunting/fishing, likes to shoot but demands to find her own ammo, & most importantly never complains. THAT IS RARE[/quote

I'll take it!
"Won't last long!!" Whatever......
Iā€™d add ā€œUncleā€™s Estate Sale.ā€

I see the same sign at a local corner where the same guy sells stuff out of a storage unit. Uncle had a schitt load of lawn mowers!
And for dang sakes learn how to post images.
I thought you were trying to sale a good work ethic. Those seem to be ultra rare these days
Nope. I know well what I am considering.
I have a rare 2 MOA rifle. Iā€™ve never seen another one advertised
Originally Posted by Remington725
I have a rare 2 MOA rifle. Iā€™ve never seen another one advertised

TFF

Well done!
When someone tells me in the ad itā€™s rare, I donā€™t look much furtherā€¦..itā€™s likely overpriced because they said itā€™s rare šŸ˜‚
On GB right now, every lever gun ever made is rare and priceless.
I have a ultra rare glock 19 for sale, I scratche it with an unique patten by myself. Guarantee there is only one of them in the world.
Really Really rare,hard to find, and only made a few for only a year!
Yep, put it on my thread but you can bash me if you want. LOL
Not in the classifieds, but ā€œrareā€ or ā€œrare oneā€ is must click on the Savage, Marlin or Winchester Collectors page. smile

Speaking of rare, can anyone find a JM stamped Marlin anywhere for under $500? Every pawn shop in the country had some a few years ago.

Sometimes guns go up, but what has happened to JM Marlins is nearly nuts.
Rareā€¦.selling large rifle primersā€¦justifiedā€¦all others not so muchā€¦
"One last time before it goes back in the safe". That threat is sure to make me look for the buy it now button.
The ones I love are: "Only selling because" or the "First Ill take it WINS". I don't care as to why your selling. And just WTF do I WIN if I say I'll take it? Fugging maroons.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Am I the only one that thinks putting "rare" in an ad is stupid?

Either the buyer is interested and knows it's rare, or not because its not really rare.

Generally I ignore any sales pitch that features "look", "rare", "wow"...also worth dismissing anything by "honest" whoever.
No matter what the ad says, the only real questions need answering are to be done by yours truly. Do I need/want this? And for this price? The rest of the details if I feel the seller is GTG, are really irrelevant. Especially if quality pics are provided.

Not much really bothers me about an ad. I have the option to click off the page at any time if I want to. And to be honest, 99.9% of my ā€˜needsā€™ as far as gear have been taken care of many years ago. Probably goes for the vast majority here. Itā€™s all good.
Unlike a few other sites I get on, things move pretty quickly here. New Sell/trade items every few minutes. Sellers here aren't a lot different than the ones on TV. They have something to sell and if they can dress up their ad a little better than the next guy they think it makes their item sell quicker. Probably doesn't but...they do it. Using hard to find and rare and custom are stretched to the limits but they think it sells. Truth is, if you need/want it, you'll buy it. If not, scroll on. Aside from a few things, bullets are about the only thing rare and hard to find.
Never hunted is one I dislike. I would rather see a few scars from hunting than safe dings
© 24hourcampfire