Home
This service was originally offered almost 8 years ago simply as a way to dress up a plain black plastic synthetic. In the interim I've painted some very expensive stocks. Some involved quite a bit of work.

Base charge is $65 which includes return shipping. This is for the lower 48 using UPS. Add $35 extra for Alaska and Hawaii. They will be shipped USPS.

If the stock is a Bell and Carlson, H&S, or other higher priced stocks the charge will be adjusted to reflect the increased insurance cost. Typically $3.85 covers up to $300 in insurance. $6.75 covers up to $500.
I'd you want the old finish completely removed the base fee is $30. That covers most of the jobs I see. If it’s a finish that has gone sticky: $50 and there are no guarantees. That’s how bad they are. Whatever has made them go sticky often affects even the gel coat on fiberglass stocks.
They are a nightmare.
If it's a target stock with moving and or removable parts add $10

Please pull sling studs and recoil pads if possible. I've seen a few recoil pads glued on the fibreglass stocks. I’ll tape those off.

I use an automotive plastic adhesion enhancer along with good chip resistant paint that has a seven day full cure time.
Chip resistant..... Not chip proof. American sourced. I am adding a new paint produced in Germany. Not as good a color selection, but good paint.

I use clear coat also. Clear coat choices are: flat; matte; satin; gloss.

Single order: $65
Multiple orders:
Two stocks $115
Three stocks $160

Up to two spider web colors: no extra charge.
Speckle / spatter paint add $5

Spider web colors available are: black, white, silver, gold, red, blue and a pastel green/teal. I’ll soon be adding: yellow, grey and copper.

Foam sound deadening in the buttstock:$5
All prices include return shipping and basic insurance.

If anyone wants to share some feedback, good or bad, on their stocks please post it here. Feel free to share pictures. I've had good feedback from folks here and I appreciate that very much.
I've only had one failure of the paint. It was on a Hogue camo dipped stock. It would hold paint at all. I fully refunded the members money.
I painted a plain black Hogue stock for a member and haven't ever heard back as to how it’s held up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

PM sent
Nice looking work!
I have a stock painted with grey speck zolatone which looks good but I am really looking for a Viet- Nam style Tiger Stripe pattern using green, black, and brown. Do you think you would want to try some free hand work? The stock is an MPI full length mannlicher style.

You can send me a PM if this is something you might want to tackle.
I could try it, but I don’t have any fine nozzles. I can check with my supplier to see what they have. I’d recommend dipping for that pattern. It would be a much more defined sharper image.

Killer lookin work!!
Thanks knifeman!

I am having a Remington Model Seven action and barrel cerekoted Burnt Bronze. Could you paint the stock in a color scheme that would look good with the Burnt Bronze cerekote?
P.M.d you….
Bronze, gray and yellow webbing is supposed to be here early September…..
Can you do the textured speckle type finish that McMillan uses?
Sorry, I don’t have that particular nozzle available for that particular texture.

TAG
Tag too
PM sent
PM sent...
Maybe not everyone's up of tea, but OK by me. I doubt that the antelope and coyotes will care.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
How about this one antelopedundee???

Originally Posted by John_Boy
How about this one antelopedundee???

Actually a little bit ago before I saw this I was downstairs tinkering with that RYB gun and thought about a patriotic red white n blue. I don't have another synthetic that I could paint up tho.
Buy one!!!

He did this for me recently

Attached picture 20220504_202330.jpg
magnum44270 ^ Very nice. What do you call that pattern. And what colors were used?
Buy one!!!

Then I'd have to let a costly wood stock sit. No can do for now.

Tag

John Boy did one for me about 5 years ago. It looks great and has held up very well.

These two stocks are mine. John was great to work with through the process, gave me good advice about color selection and how it would come together, and is a very good communicator and kept me updated throughout the job. I plan on sending him more work, two thumbs up for John!
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I’ve been wanting some feedback for how they’re holding up good, or bad. I’ve made a few changes over the years like using an automotive adhesion enhancer. The newest one may be changing suppliers depending on cost. The new suppliers paint is made in Spain and Germany. It all depends on the cost. I try to hold cost down as this is just a retirement hobby, not a living. I’ve been painting almost 9 years now.

Other feedback I’ve had:

One complete failure to bond on a Hogue dipped stock. Money refunded.
One that chipped a bit ( before adhesion enhancer). I offered a complete redo but the buyer never sent it back.
Another minor chipping basically same as above. Never sent back in.
New Spanish paint. Usual colors.
It’ll sit out in the weather for awhile…

This Kimber stock one of mine John did, in a draft form. I wanted a darker green and he made it happen. The rifle recently spent a week in the mountains getting banged around in some rocky country and slung on a kifaru gunbearer. The paint held up spectacularly. Outstanding work!
TAG
Originally Posted by MOGC

These two stocks are mine. John was great to work with through the process, gave me good advice about color selection and how it would come together, and is a very good communicator and kept me updated throughout the job. I plan on sending him more work, two thumbs up for John!

John Boy, can you please PM me info on painting a Tikka T3x stock like the stock in the top picture. Thanks.

Like!
I need to update a bit due to the efforts of the government and other entities trying to drive the little guy out.
My price will now reflect the cost of the job first: $50
Shipping: if it is a factory synthetic $15 UPS or FedEx with their $100 basic insurance that they won’t pay since it’s a firearm related item.
Expensive stocks will go USPS as they will pay for insured losses. There will be the additional $15 surcharge, but at least it will be fully insured. I can ship inexpensive stocks USPS if you want to pay the surcharge. USPS includes $100 insurance in the basic cost. Alaska will be shipped USPS. It’ll cost $50 at least…
This is just a fun retirement hobby as I said before. However, those in authority are trying their best to protect us from ourselves… 😂
It is what it is…..

New spider web colors are here….. yellow, copper and grey.
I’ll post pictures of test patters later next week.

The new spider webs are here! The colors are: copper, light grey and yellow. My other colors available are: light teal, red, white, blue, silver, gold / bronze and black….

New posting to consolidate pictures in the secure photo gallery.

See:

John Boy’s Stock Painting
Do you strip and paint wood stocks?
Sure can. If I need to strip an old finish it merely adds to the base cost. I've lowered my rate for that. $30 was a bit high, so I'm dropping it to $15. Stripping sticky finishes will run between $30 & 50....
Well, thanks to typical poorly run business.... AKA the USPS I'll have to adjust fees for postal insurance.
Up to $200 insurance add $4
Up to $500 insurance add $9
Don't forget the $15 postal ineptness surcharge....

Unless you choose otherwise I'll normally ship UPS to the lower 48 and USPS to AK & HI

Pictures also in photo gallery…
This man does great work! Bump for a good guy!
John, I promised you a picture of the Model Seven stock you did for me after I got all the work done and the rifle back together. I don't know if this picture can do your stock work justice...

Thank you lobbockdave and MOGC.
I think the picture is great!
Any of y'all that wasn't to post pictures please feel free....
John_Boy, have you painted any Cooper synthetic stocks? Any issues with them, and is it better to strip original paint first? Thanks.
I've yet to paint a Cooper. A light sanding will promote good adhesion, but it's paint to paint. An unpainted surface is better in my opinion.
I've yet to paint a Cooper. A light sanding will promote good adhesion, but it's paint to paint. An unpainted surface is better in my opinion.

Thanks. Repainting it is definitely under serious consideration, and glad to have “found” you and your custom painting services. 👍
One more thing…., would love to see some pictures of sponge patterns over base colors if you’re doing those too. MOGC’s Model Seven looks really nice with the incorporated sponge colors. Thanks.

👍 Nice! Thanks.
Wow!
Nice work
If I don't have a style you like be sure and check out Tstorm1 for his work. I think you'll be pleased with the choices offered.
Great work and prices!
Love your work
Tag
© 24hourcampfire