Home
Kimber 22 hornet Has the open sites on it. Which is harder to find than the varmit barrel. Clackmas gun. This is 82 “s” model. As you will find. I would call it unfired. $3250 shipped.

Attached picture 613ED198-8363-459D-9667-26C56AF703D9.jpeg
Attached picture AE0A7F32-F9D5-49BF-AFA2-5238B174AB7A.jpeg

Attached picture 12163B68-04E2-470D-8DAA-B8D9C929C54D.jpeg
Attached picture 11B69412-67FD-4920-AD6A-03BDCCD3452E.jpeg

Attached picture F183D4CC-4A2C-4790-91ED-344D25871283.jpeg
Attached picture 956E2A57-9CE2-4ECE-A8BD-A7F9DC504724.jpeg

Attached picture B1253BCD-FAA2-4088-8A7A-06F4D8D7E88A.jpeg
Attached picture 188DC413-A2C3-4970-89FE-6C3432E4F203.jpeg
Damn…..there’s going to be a day you look back and say what the hell did I sell that for…..
I have a twin to it already
Posted By: TimZ Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
Whew that’s nice…..GLWYS
I’ll send a video to anyone on condition just send number
I have the heavier barreled one same condition I would sell one or the other. I can add pics. $2750 shipped
Interesting 82.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
Sexy!!!
I have 17 Remington in the same safari edition shoots beautifully
WOW!!!
Thank you for all the compliments
Posted By: TD42 Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
Wow that one's sure is pretty!!!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
The "S" model is pretty rare if I recall. Am I right?
Yes that’s the safari edition. Gun broker is asking 3250-3500 for the standard grade one and this one is significantly harder to find
Posted By: jk16 Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
I owned this rifle's twin from 1982 to 1985. They had the best wood and checkering of any Kimber models ever made.

The "S" designation stands for "Super Grade" not Safari. The model is well known amoungst Kimber collectors.

The rifle listed here was probably built in 1983-1984

Kimber was afraid Winchester would sue them for actually calling them "Super Grades" so they simply called them "S" models.

The stock design was patterned after the early Winchester m52 sporters which debuted in 1935. That stock design was also used on Winchesters model 70 Super Grades a few years later in 1937.
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
I had one of those with a quarter rib, checkered inlayed grip cap and butt plate NIB. I bought it from a collector in Odessa Texas in 1996. Mine had headspace issues.
Guess I learn something new every day. Old timer I bought some from called them safaris Beens they look like little African rifles. Thanks for your info.
Looks like the Super American to me.
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
LOL
Posted By: jk16 Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Ed-
The "S" series came out about a year before the Super America. They were Kimbers first high grade model. The name "Super America" was obviously Kimber's solution to Winchester name trademark quandry.

I also think the Super America had a more modern Classic style cheekpeice (forward edge flowing into the grip with comb flutes in both sides).
Good guy bump
I’ll post pics of the heavier one this am
Shadowline cheeckpiece (beaded as it was called in the plant) is a requisite for "Super America" designation.

Bump

Kimber of Costa Rica, la Super America no mas beadola. ✌️
Posted By: GF1 Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet safari - 02/28/24
The “Super America” model to which you refer above is not named after a country or continent, but a car, the Ferrari Superamerica.

Greg Warne, who with his father Jack, formed the Kimber of Oregon company, was apparently a sports car enthusiast, and deemed the name fitting for their top rifle.
Pics of non s series. Would be super America. 22 hornet. Appears unfired. $2750 shipped. Can send and additional pics video needed by cell phone. I put scope on this one and have never fired 6.5-20. Could be bought if desired with it

Attached picture 392920A8-5840-4978-B33A-84BCDB9FD233.jpeg
Attached picture 1CB1A2D9-893F-456B-A68A-9392F76FD96E.jpeg

Attached picture 4B71120F-587C-433F-A452-4E0E96F4D42D.jpeg
Attached picture A9F6CD3B-B3C1-439F-B14A-D23DAAAC9F1E.jpeg

Attached picture 45AD4ADB-0971-4482-AA60-E5C3669A3B0B.jpeg
I have an "S" series in 22LR with the sights. That series was limited to 500 and predates the Super America. I have a SA in 22 Hornet that doesn't come close to the wood on the sellers rifle. If I didn't already have one this would be coming home. A very nice rifle at a great price IMHO. GLWS
Thanks for kind words. I do prefer to sell heavy barreled one. Shoot me and offer. I’m out of gun safe rooms and overflowing to buddy’s places so I need to get rid of some doubles
Posted By: TPAK Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet s series - 02/28/24
Does the heavy barrel gave a “HB” in the serial #?
I’ll have to take a look I’m on a work trip next two days
Does HB come with box, manual, or test target?
No boxes. I bought these off a guys estate sale a while ago.
TPAK: My unfired new in the box Kimber in 22 Hornet has the following serial number "HS16X".
My online and hard copy inventory lists show the Model as "82 Super" - I don't recall if I shortened that model designation to fit in the column or if indeed it should be Super America or Super.
I guess I could look at the Kimber box or on the Rifle itself if you need more info?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Just had my wife take a look. Varmint guy is correct serial is HS
The H is for Hornet and the S is for “S” Series (pre Super American) rifles. A heavy barrel will have an HB usually. The HB will usually be at the end of the serial # not the beginning.
Ok I’ll have her take a look at the end. Hs is the start
Do you have a picture of the second rifle's cheeckpiece you could share? And either or both rifle's pointed buttplates?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Do you have a picture of the second rifle's cheeckpiece you could share? And either or both rifle's pointed buttplates?
You build that stock boomer?
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I have a tough time telling. I think it's the correct vintage based upon the checkering detail, more points which was adopted generally as a refinement at the Colton woodshop. But the right flute looks older - possibly. But, guessing it's 1988-89ish? Before barrel stamp changed to Colton. Maybe. I never did initial the barrel channel as the shapers and finish sanders did, as I handled each... They're all unique and I really enjoy seeing them here.
I have a tough time telling. I think it's the correct vintage based upon the checkering detail, more points which was adopted generally as a refinement at the Colton woodshop. But the right flute looks older - possibly. But, guessing it's 1988-89ish? Before barrel stamp changed to Colton. Maybe. I never did initial the barrel channel as the shapers and finish sanders did, as I handled each... They're all unique and I really enjoy seeing them here.

It would have to be satisfying having been part of that.
Sunuvabitch just make this thing go away already!
Posted By: jk16 Re: Kimber 82 22 hornet s series - 02/29/24
The second rifle the posted, is what I believe to be a "Custom Classic" HB model. They offered them in both standard and heavy barrels from about 1986 the end of Kimber of Oregon production. The second gun is also built in the later "B" series action with external bolt stop and the stepped two peice bolt shroud.

By then the " Super America " was the flagship gun with all options on it. Express sights with sight rib , beadline cheekpiece ,AAA wood , full wraparound checkeing and ebony firend tip were standard . Even a Skeketonized checkered gripcap was an option

Most if them were runnjng close to $1k by then . Kimber wanted to offer a gun with standard metalwork but a really nice stock - a mid grade option .

I remember the "Custom Classic " guns well because they were my favorite model of that era. They were also offered in left hand versions . I found a brand new one one for a friend of mine from a Kimber dealer in 1988. It also had the heavy barrel.
Second gun serial she understood which kimber I was looking for after a face time. Both are mint and I will allow and inspection period after receiving to make sure condition is what I say it is

Attached picture 37200FED-74AF-4787-BC1C-74A784BC785C.jpeg
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Beautiful rifles, GLWS.

I'm fortunate to have LH Kimber Custom Classics in 22LR and 22 Hornet.

They would be some of the last rifles I would sell.
One more bump before I go to gun broker
So, second rifle isn't a Super America after all? Hell of a kangaroo rifle anyhoot. Cheers.
Now, figuring it's actually a Custom Classic with the shown features, probably a high likelihood, the hardware and machine sanding...
© 24hourcampfire