Home
Posted By: Savage99Nut Shipping primed brass?? - 03/17/24
Can I ship primed brass from myself to an individual without incurring Hazmat fees?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
It’s considered to be ammunition, so if you can find someone that will ship that for you, you’re all set. Obviously, the USPS is out.
Thank you. So FedEx or UPS
Posted By: KenMi Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
UPS ground, no problem.
Appreciate it
Posted By: brassman Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
It can be shipped via ups. Just need to make a orm-d sticker(google it) and create an ups account online. Print your label and put it on the boxed along with the orm-d. drop at any ups truck or shipping hub.
Posted By: dirtyharry Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
TAG
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Limited Quantity Diamond, ORM-D is defunct.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Why do people concern themselves with this B.S. ?
Just pack them so they don’t rattle and send them and keep your pie hole shut .
Kenneth
Primed brass is not subject to HAZMAT fees! Due to a specific exception in the DOT regulations, primed brass is not considered hazardous materials and also not even ORM-D (UN limited qty). This means it is free to ship without additional fees or any warning stickers on the box. This means it's an excellent way to get primers without paying extra HAZMAT fees.
I get it shipped in USPS from suppliers by the 1000..

If the Regulations have changed , we are not aware of it.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Why do people concern themselves with this B.S. ?
Just pack them so they don’t rattle and send them and keep your pie hole shut .
Kenneth

Because sometimes things go sideways. I sent two empty .358 Win cases that had 200gr Accubonds seated to a member here years ago. The package was sent via USPS and was redirected to an Amazon distro center. It was scanned and opened. The Provost Marshall where I was stationed was notified and I was summoned for questioning. I was lucky. The detective who questioned me was a reloader and understood it as a simple misunderstanding.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Originally Posted by Savage99Nut
Can I ship primed brass from myself to an individual without incurring Hazmat fees?

Yes, you can. Keep mouth shut and ship it.
Posted By: nickster Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
USPS showed me in their guide, no brass with primers. Took it to the FedEx store, told them what I had and he said no problem and no hazmat fees.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
UPS refused to ship primed brass, claimed it was a fire hazard.
Apparently Sept. 2023 the USPS revised their rules and Primed brass is prohibited now...The Bastids ! Thanks Joe...
Posted By: hanco Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Pack hell out of them, tape hell out of them, mail them.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
I just asked this a month ago, and a guy on accurateshooter said a friend sent primed brass USPS and it was somehow found out and he faced federal charges and was out $50,000 plus attorney fees. I've been sending mine UPS ground dropped off at a hub with the diamond sticker on it.
Originally Posted by slm9s
I just asked this a month ago, and a guy on accurateshooter said a friend sent primed brass USPS and it was somehow found out and he faced federal charges and was out $50,000 plus attorney fees. I've been sending mine UPS ground dropped off at a hub with the diamond sticker on it.

exactly the same type of horror stories I've heard and found online. I appreciate all the answers as what i was finding via Google was all over the place
Posted By: gte901m Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Originally Posted by Savage99Nut

Yes - hazmat fee not required.

Post office now considers primed brass a non-mailable explosive. Section 341.21 of publication 52. Here is the link

UPS and FedEx will ship it.

Your call on which rules/regulations you want to follow. As others have pointed out, pack it well (regardless of shipper).
Posted By: Dinny Re: Shipping primed brass?? - 03/18/24
Originally Posted by slm9s
I just asked this a month ago, and a guy on accurateshooter said a friend sent primed brass USPS and it was somehow found out and he faced federal charges and was out $50,000 plus attorney fees.

That's what I was being threatened with for shipping two empty cases with just bullets seated in them. I don't recall anymore but normally I wrote inert on the cases.
© 24hourcampfire