Home
....in 7mm-08.

Been trying to track one down so thought I'd go with the old, reliable Campfire classifieds.

Desire it NIB.

Thank you!
isaac,

You're trying to buy the wrong color metal..... grin

Good luck on the hunt for a Ti.....

Tony
They're right at $1,850 plus shipping and insurance - but they're available. Send me a PM if interested.
For what it's worth and FYI...

For around the $1200 mark .260 Ti's can still be had NIB on the the gun auction & listing sites.

If the 7-08s are substantially more, I'd just have to learn to live w/ a 6.5mm, which ain't a bad place to be.
Thanks guys...I am looking at the bigger pilled 7mm-08. A gentleman just PM'd me with a very nice 06 purchase new and a good price. I'm waiting to hear from my gunsmith as we were initially focused on NIB.

1850 is a unexpected chunk of change but I'm weighing the pros and cons.

All of your contributions are appreciated.

Tony.....thanks!
$1850'd make a nice deposit on a NULA.
While just a few ounces away, the special run SS MTN. rifles that remington put together for Gander Mtn. can be found at a very reasonable price.

The old style TI ADL stock, non-skeltonized bolt.

I just picked up a NIB w/ a bad crown, 7mm-08 for $525.

You may already know this but remington has produced two different TI rifles. The older style is a blind magazine, ADL and the new Alaskan TI with a floor plate and fluted barrel. The new Alaskans price new at $1,500+ and older style when they were current was around $1,100.

A lot of NIB old style TI rifles are listed close the new TI pricing.
I got an "old style" a little over 2 years ago. It was 1,150.00 shipped. I had shopped for a while and that was the best price I could find at that time.
$1850 is delusional. You can buy brand new Alaskan Ti's for $1620-1760. The regular Ti's in 7-08's NIB pop up occasionally still and go for $1300-1400.
had to be the lawyer premium Foxbat.

quit screwing around Bob, and buy a NULA

I don't want to be the only one with egg on his face!

actually I'm fallin in love with that little rifle and wonderin why I waited all these years to get one.

still somethings got to be done about the stock paint job.

Rick Bin may have mail soon whilst I'm swappin out scopes on it.

I don't see it going it's whole life being called Jungle Fever.
FWIW,
There is a Alaskan Ti in 280 on Gunbroker with a buy it now of $1299.00
Originally Posted by raghorn
FWIW,
There is a Alaskan Ti in 280 on Gunbroker with a buy it now of $1299.00

Shhhh dammit. LOL

I've been watching this one the last 24 hours.
Originally Posted by huntem
While just a few ounces away, the special run SS MTN. rifles that remington put together for Gander Mtn. can be found at a very reasonable price.

The old style TI ADL stock, non-skeltonized bolt.

I just picked up a NIB w/ a bad crown, 7mm-08 for $525.

You may already know this but remington has produced two different TI rifles. The older style is a blind magazine, ADL and the new Alaskan TI with a floor plate and fluted barrel. The new Alaskans price new at $1,500+ and older style when they were current was around $1,100.

A lot of NIB old style TI rifles are listed close the new TI pricing.

A guy could pick up one of those Mountain Guide Rifles, stick it in an Edge, and be within 4oz or so of a 1st Generation Ti rifle. Probably save a little coin and have a better stock to boot.
Even $1600 is too much for a supposedly "lightweight" gun that weighs over six pounds despite having an (expensive) titanium action. Go with an old style (pre-Alaskan) Rem 700 Titanium if you want a true lightweight. If you want a gun that weighs over six pounds, there are a lot of other (better and cheaper) choices available. Titanium is not a good action material unless you make use of its light weight, and the newer Alaskan Titanium model is too heavy to be considered to make good use of titanium.
'Course a guy could always buy a Kimber Montana coming in at 5 lbs 2 oz with an action still made the way they are supposed to be made for around a Grand and have enough left over for a good scope, case, sling and ammo. But that might be too simple. grin

It might not be a good idea to some, but it's a bump just the same.
Issac:

If you aren't in a big hurry you can find a used 7mm-08 M700Ti for about a grand + or - a bit. New figure $1150 or so. They turn up at irregular intervals though. I sold my NIB M700 Ti (early style, blind magwell) in 30-06 for $1150 + ship. There was a used one on GB for $999 and another one for a grand. For months none... keep looking, it is fun looking for deals.

Be safe
Patty
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Even $1600 is too much for a supposedly "lightweight" gun that weighs over six pounds despite having an (expensive) titanium action. Go with an old style (pre-Alaskan) Rem 700 Titanium if you want a true lightweight. If you want a gun that weighs over six pounds, there are a lot of other (better and cheaper) choices available. Titanium is not a good action material unless you make use of its light weight, and the newer Alaskan Titanium model is too heavy to be considered to make good use of titanium.

a 7-08 Alaskan runs 6 lb even. What are these better and cheaper choices that weigh the same or better?

Kimber Montana? If you want to roll the dice on accuracy. The Rem Ti will be more accurate 7 times out of 10.

Sako Finnlight? Sure but once you ditch the crap stock for a McMillan you're way over $1600 and the Sako weighs more.

What else?
$1850'd make a nice deposit on a NULA.

Heh. There ya go Bob. Remember awhile back I tried to get you to buy the 257 Robt ULA for 1875? Don't drop the ball again.
Model 7 add edge.
I could built one hell of a rifle for the supposed $1,600 street price of a Ti Alaskan. No contest, not even close....
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

a 7-08 Alaskan runs 6 lb even. What are these better and cheaper choices that weigh the same or better?

Kimber Montana? If you want to roll the dice on accuracy. The Rem Ti will be more accurate 7 times out of 10.

Sako Finnlight? Sure but once you ditch the crap stock for a McMillan you're way over $1600 and the Sako weighs more.

What else?

Foxbat,

Here are a few:

1. We'll start with Remington rifles. The previously-mentioned special run Rem 700 Mountain Guide rifles are listed at 5.75 lb (short action), and that's 4 oz lighter than a short-action Alaskan Titanium, and the Mountain Guide rifles can be found for $1k less than the Alaska Titanium. The Rem 700 Mountain LSS short action is listed at 6.5 lb, which even after the price increase a few years ago is still a bargain compared to the AK Ti and only 0.5 lb more. With both the Mountain Guide and the Mountain LSS you still get the potential Remington accuracy with a smoother (steel) action.

2. If you are chasing accuracy, Tikka rifles have GUARANTEED sub-moa accuracy. Tikka T3 Lite rifles are listed at 6.2 lb - right at the same weight as the Rem 700 Alaskan Titanium and for a lot ($1k+) less money.

3. Another option if you are chasing accuracy, STANDARD-weight Savage rifles are listed at 6.5 lb for a long action vs. 6.25 lb for a long-action Rem 700 Alaskan Titanium. Need I point out that a 700 AK Ti's price is multiples (on the order of 4x or so) of a Savage's price (well over $1k difference).

4. Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight is listed at 5.75 lb for both short and long actions (compared to 6 and 6.25 for the Alaskan Titanium), the Weatherby costs LESS than the Alaskan Titanium, AND you get guaranteed accuracy with the Weatherby.

Apparently it isn't all that hard to make a rifle in the 5.75 to 6.5 lb range with steel rather than titanium. Remington is gouging their customers who buy an Alaskan Titanium.
Another route:

Brand new SPS SS 700
$575 (see gunsamerica, etc)
Sell bbl, stock
-$90
Quality SS barrel, installed, action refaced, lugs lapped, beadblast, your chambering specs, your contour specs, your crown specs, your overall length
$550
New Edge stock in your pattern choice, your pad choice, your LOP choice, your color choice, your inlet choice, your sling swivel choice
$520

That is about $50 under the $1,600 cost of a Alaskan Ti. Just enough jingle for a good trigger job. Could easily beat 6lbs.

Wonder which one most folks would take?
You're comparing apples to oranges. Those mountain guide rifles are seldom close to MOA let alone sub MOA. I haven't seen a new SS Mountain Guide for under $600 in a long time anyways.

You cannot compare a Tikka or Savage to a Remington Alaskan. That is like arguing that a Camaro will run with a Corvette, yeah, it might, but it ain't.

Weathery UL's have the same issue as the Montana, hit or miss accuracy.

You're words were "better and cheaper". You came back with just "cheaper", other than the Weatherby which is comparative.
you guys REALLY hyjacked this one.
Originally Posted by JPro
Another route:

Brand new SPS SS 700
$575 (see gunsamerica, etc)
Sell bbl, stock
-$90
Quality SS barrel, installed, action refaced, lugs lapped, beadblast, your chambering specs, your contour specs, your crown specs, your overall length
$550
New Edge stock in your pattern choice, your pad choice, your LOP choice, your color choice, your inlet choice, your sling swivel choice
$520

That is about $50 under the $1,600 cost of a Alaskan Ti. Just enough jingle for a good trigger job. Could easily beat 6lbs.

Wonder which one most folks would take?

Ah ha, you forgot that you had to pay shipping to and from the smith that did all that work for $550 and shipping on the McMillan. You just ate up more than the $50 difference and went through a hell of a lot of PITA and waiting to maybe get the same thing for the same price and if you decide to sell it you will never get what you put into it. Frankencustoms never sell for what they cost while Remington Ti's sell for more than they retailed for 2 years ago.
You cannot compare a Tikka or Savage to a Remington Alaskan.
Certainly not for accuracy. The Tikka will kick the Remmy's butt! smile
Shipping is moot, who cares about the miniscule details?

Ask folks what they would rather have. The $1,600 custom that they design and wait 5 months for, or the $1,600 Alaskan Ti that Remington designed. Re-sale isn't my #1 priority regarding my rifle needs. If it were, I'd never shoot them.

If your factory barrel, B&C stock, and fancy Ti action make you happy, then you spent your $1,600 wisely. That being said, it ain't for everybody. Judging from the number of customs I see vs the number of Alaskan Ti's I see, it ain't for many....

Foxbat,

You know what - you are RIGHT! There is no other rifle like the Remington 700 Alaskan Titanium ...

because most companies go out of business when they try to sell overpriced products that don't do anything better than (much) less expensive products do (moreso when they replace a useful, reasonably-priced product in their line with an overpriced one that fills no useful niche).
Originally Posted by RDMartin53
you guys REALLY hyjacked this one.

Bob spread a little wealth amongst the faithful to dis the Rem Ti's.

didn't want anyone in possession of one to think they had something of value.

Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone wink
Those mountain guide rifles are seldom close to MOA let alone sub MOA.

shocked shocked shocked crazy crazy crazy confused confused confused

With regards to the hi-jack, he did say "all of your contributions are welcome". (grin)

I'm not anti Titanium, I just think that Remington went the wrong way in redesigning the rifle.
nada like taking a good concept and wrecking it, go BIG GREEN

sure glad they made it where you can't lock your bolt too

freakin genius' at work there
1akhunter,

Totally agree, especially on being able to lock the bolt. If someone can't unload his/her Rem 700 without an "accidental" discharge, then that person doesn't need to have a gun in his/her hands.

I have an old Rem 700 that I took in for a trigger job a couple years ago, and the gunsmith asked if I wanted him to change the safety configuration to meet the new Remington standard (at no charge because Big Green would pay for it). In a nice way (because I wanted to say, "Are you CRAZY?"), I told him I appreciated his attention to such matters but, most definitely NOT, because the old design is better because it allows one to lock the bolt.
Well, were just going to have to agree to disagree fellas. My original point wasn't about running out and buying an Alaskan, in all seriousness I think Remington over priced them as well. I was just making the point that before someone paid $1850 for a regular Ti, an Alaskan at $1600 would be a better buy.
For the price difference and weight advantages of the Kimber over the Rem, hell you could rebarrel ("IF YOU HAD TO") the Kimber and still end up with a lighter rifle for less money than the Rem. Seems like a no brainer to me!....grin
Guess I should be glad to have these old Ti's hanging around for what the new Alaskan's are going for <g>.

[Linked Image]
Nice.....
Thanks JP; kinda funny how the Ti's bring on such a debate...
I hope Titanium is as good as they say, as I've got some Ti mesh in my abdominal wall. Better than chrome-moly steel. (grin)
Originally Posted by TiLug
Guess I should be glad to have these old Ti's hanging around for what the new Alaskan's are going for <g>.

[Linked Image]

Dang! Looks like you got when the gettin was good.
Hope so too, Sister has some in her hip after a fall from a horse <g>.

isaac - good luck with the search... I'll keep an eye open for you. - Jim
Guess so <g> Prices are kind of all over the place lately...
Thanks buddy!

Good thread...I'm learning.
Like or dislike the new Ti. Price will only go northward, eventually since they have discontinued, because obviously there are enough people out there that like them. That demand will eventually out-strip supply. It is a simple matter of economics.
All the more if Remington does not have a follow up.
jmho.
j
one in .308 just sold on GON for $900. I think it had a bushnell elite scope on it also....dangit, sounds like I could have made some bucks on it
Good Luck On GON I'm Was The first One Posted on It. Yesterday with a I'll Take it. I'm Still getting the Run Around. No Pic's,He Dosn't Know if The Older Pre -R3 Of newer. Dosn't Know about The box and Papers{He Thinks They Be at the Shop} It Goes. On And On...
I told him I would buy it and pay shipping . i think hes running a auction.
Originally Posted by TiLug

[Linked Image]

Ti Slut...(grin) I see you dropped a few of them in Edge stocks. I did the same thing. An Edge stocked Ti is a match made in heaven.

I have 3 of them in the safe, and those Ti actions will be with me till the day I die. I'm sure they'll see a few bbl's in my lifetime though.
Originally Posted by JPro
With regards to the hi-jack, he did say "all of your contributions are welcome". (grin)

I'm not anti Titanium, I just think that Remington went the wrong way in redesigning the rifle.

JPro nailed it. 1st gen Ti's that could be had for under 1k were the cats azz.. $1,400 to $1,800 for a Ti doesn't even come close to interesting me. I can build one hell of a rifle with a premium bbl and Edge stock in a wildcat chambering with the groove/twist bbl I need for $1,800...
The first generation Ti is indeed a nice mtn.rifle, especially dropped in an EDGE. However, I'm partial to the Kimber Montana's.

Now having said that, I have one Ti remaining in the stable (7mm-08) which I'm rather fond of, and doubt I'll ever part with it.

[Linked Image]
I wouldn't sell my .308 first generation Ti for twice what I paid for it. I also have accumulated a LA Ti stock and some takeoff mountain rifle barrels in the event I want to do an inexpensive faux Ti on a standard action down the road.
FOsteology,

That's a neat look w/ the ASAT type camo on the stock. Well done.

Bob;

Get the Kimber Montana in 7-08.
Originally Posted by isaac
....in 7mm-08.

Been trying to track one down so thought I'd go with the old, reliable Campfire classifieds.

Desire it NIB.

Thank you!

My advice would be to buy a NIB 700 Mountain LSS in 7mm-08, then order a first generation Ti stock through Stocky's or find a Gander Mountain 700 Mountain Guide . You'll have virtually the same rifle and be into it no more than $900. With patience you should be able to get it for less than that price. If you want a fluted bolt, send it off to Karl (Kampfeld). I did this with a 270 (got a MTN LSS), sold the stock and bought a B&C from Stocky's. I was planning on having the bolt fluted but it just seemed like a waste of money so I decided against it. My oldest son has already claimed it for his "elk" rifle. I told him he has to wait until I'm gone!

RH
Just checked my GunsAmerica wish list and there is a 700Ti 300-RSUM NIB for $895 item # 983401337 if any of you guys are interested.
I actually did just that. Took a 06' Mtn. LSS - sold the stock and got a very gently used Ti stock for $200 and am in it less than $800 (before selling my bottom metal) with a 5.6lb rifle. Suppose I can flute bolt, skeletonize handle and slab action and save another 3-4 oz. for around $225 - it would sure look cool, but would it be worth it.....?

Either way, its a fun, cheaper way to a lightweight long action, otherwise - roll with a .308/7-08 Montana.
06' Mtn. LSS - sold the stock and got a very gently used Ti stock for $200 and am in it less than $800 (before selling my bottom metal) with a 5.6lb rifle

You got 5.6# w/ an '06 barreled action w/ a 22" mtn contour barrel, ADL style in an original Ti stock? confused
Went back and check scale notes:
4 lb. barreled action
1.6 lb. stock

(did not weigh action screws, skeletonized mag box and ADL trigger guard)

So, not sure what that would put it at - have to do some weighing this afternoon and get back with you. Wasn't trying to mislead you at all, but its close to 5.6lbs.
Originally Posted by tdn
Went back and check scale notes:
4 lb. barreled action
1.6 lb. stock

(did not weigh action screws, skeletonized mag box and ADL trigger guard)

So, not sure what that would put it at - have to do some weighing this afternoon and get back with you. Wasn't trying to mislead you at all, but its close to 5.6lbs.

I'm also in the process of doing this build. Picked up a new LSS 7mm-08, will it was new but had been sitting in the backroom of gun store for 4 years so got a screaming deal on it. Sent bolt off to Karl to Ti flute, ordered a Callahan Speedlock firing pin/shroud, and have a Ti stock on the way. I will weigh when complete and see how I did.
Got the numbers!

Bolt: 13.5 oz.
B-A: 47 oz
Guard and screws: 4oz
Stock: 26 oz.

Total 90.5oz = 5.66 lbs.

Talley LWs coming in soon and topped w/ Leupy 2-7x33: hoping for around 6.5lbs finished. (before fluting and skeletonizing)
[Linked Image]

You got 5.6# w/ an '06 barreled action w/ a 22" mtn contour barrel, ADL style in an original Ti stock?

It might be possible with the fluted bolt ....... just sold a Stainless 700 LSS 30'06 Mountain Rifle that was similar.

Pulled the stainless 700 LSS Mountain Rifle barreled action and dropped into an original McMillan KS Mountain Rifle ADL stock.

Rig weighed in at 6 lb 2 oz.

Didn't weight individual components but the scale was calibrated.

Assuming bolt fluting reduces several ounces and perhaps the Ti stock is a few ounces lighter than the original McMillan KS Mountain Rifle stock, does sound plausible.
That's a pretty good price... I've been rat holing a 300SAUM for awhile, shot it a few weeks ago with some Nosler clearance 150 abomb ammo; shouldn't have shot the donor..... Thinking of turning the barrel down a notch or two though.

Originally Posted by Calvin
Ti Slut...(grin) I see you dropped a few of them in Edge stocks. I did the same thing. An Edge stocked Ti is a match made in heaven.

Ti Slut.. LOL, been called a few things, but that's a first <g>. Agree, Ti/Edge is a tough one to beat...

FOsteology - Beautiful rifle!
Originally Posted by biglmbass
06' Mtn. LSS - sold the stock and got a very gently used Ti stock for $200 and am in it less than $800 (before selling my bottom metal) with a 5.6lb rifle

You got 5.6# w/ an '06 barreled action w/ a 22" mtn contour barrel, ADL style in an original Ti stock? confused
Originally Posted by Clay

It might be possible with the fluted bolt ....... .

I've got the same barreled action, but have no way to weigh it. The 5.6# just seemed unlikley to me, and I actually thought he might have transposed a number, considering that the standard LA original Ti models were 5 1/2#.
Assuming bolt fluting reduces several ounces and perhaps the Ti stock is a few ounces lighter than the original McMillan KS Mountain Rifle stock, does sound plausible.

The McMillan stock should weigh less.
Not trying to mislead anyone here - I will say that my postal scale has postage prices valid in 1964 on it smile but, it has always been spot on. I had a tough time balancing the barreled action on the scale but from all different angles tried, that seemed the most accurate weight. I am sure someone with the same components will weigh in here eventually. I am not trying to deceive myself (or anyone for that matter) for a few ounces.

[Edit] Stopped by my local shop today and weighed the rifle on their scales... 5lb. 14.5oz. Guess it is time to replace "old reliable" - bad scales are no good.
Originally Posted by TLB2
I told him I would buy it and pay shipping . i think hes running a auction.

There is an older Ti in 308 with a varix 3 1.5 x 5 going for 1200 on guns america, if you subtract a conservative 300 for the scope thats about 900
[Linked Image]

You got 5.6# w/ an '06 barreled action w/ a 22" mtn contour barrel, ADL style in an original Ti stock?

It might be possible with blah blah blah

BOOBIES

blabitty blah blah.................blah.

I'm sure you said something real important but I might have been distracted. whistle
Originally Posted by Calvin

JPro nailed it. 1st gen Ti's that could be had for under 1k were the cats azz.. $1,400 to $1,800 for a Ti doesn't even come close to interesting me. I can build one hell of a rifle with a premium bbl and Edge stock in a wildcat chambering with the groove/twist bbl I need for $1,800...

I entirely agree.......

Remington screwed up a great rifle.....

Casey
[quote=Clay][Linked Image]

Clay, Did the .280 mtn ADL that I bought from you ever ride in that gun holder? smile BTW, great rifle and a real shooter. Thanks, David
© 24hourcampfire