Home
I have been offered the opportunity to move again (yeah! NOT. eek). While we are definitely interested, I hate the thoughts of moving per se.

However, in preparation for it, I need to divest myself of a few things that won't fit in the moving truck. wink

We have 24 beautiful acres on the Clarion River in NW PA. 750 feet of river frontage, 300 feet on the road, and approximately 2100 feet deep. It's ready to build (it was going to be where I retired to). Utilities are brought in underground to the cleared homesite overlooking the river. Perced and neighbors all have good wells. We built a new 24x48 barn with a concrete floor. Stone driveway to the building site. Field in front and wooded in back along the river. The river is 300 feet wide, full of fish, shallowish with a rocky bottom (no mud, nice clean water), so no outboards making noise. It's ideal though for canoeing, kayaking, or a lazy afternoon floating on an inner tube. The property is behind a gate that is opened by a hydraulic arm and operated by a garage door opener clicker so you never have to get out of your vehicle.

The surrounding properties (two upriver and two downriver) are all beautiful log homes, owned by professionals, on between 20 and 55 acres each. Beyond that, miles of woods and farmland. Walk out your door with a rifle or shotgun in your hand, and hunt all day. Lots of deer and turkey, and the occassional bear. I have a 100 and 200 yard range set up in the field.

It's super convenient, being only five miles from the interstate exit, yet feels totally remote. 10 miles to town that has all of the essentials (grocery store, gas stations, restaurants, and even a great hunting/gun/outdoors store), or 20 miles to a bigger college town with "everything".

$159,900.

If anybody is seriously interested, I'd be happy to show you around. I'll get a few pictures up later today.

This is from the bridge about a mile downriver. Our property is on the left side up around the bend. This gives you a good idea of what the river looks like in the area.

[Linked Image]

This is looking down from the crest of the field. The river is in the trees below. The property also runs about 150 or so yards of field behind this point, out to the road.

[Linked Image]

This is along the treeline that you see in the above picture.

[Linked Image]

Looking back up the hillside, with the old Ford 9N that I use to cut it all.

[Linked Image]

This was at the end of the year, when I let the field grow a bit for winter. My dad with our two Labs out for a walk.

[Linked Image]

The framing stage of building our barn.

[Linked Image]

Me putting the roof on the barn.

[img]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/Cold_Bore/Roofinggoingonbarn.jpg[/img]

The barn when finished.

[img]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/Cold_Bore/barnfront.jpg[/img]

The view from the barn door.

[img]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/Cold_Bore/Viewfrombarndoor.jpg[/img]

And the inside of the barn.

[img]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s17/Cold_Bore/Insidebarn.jpg[/img]

This is where we intended to build. Utilities are brought in underground to here. You can see the river beyond.

[Linked Image]

Looking back up the hill from the building site.

[Linked Image]

The view from the back of where the house would be.

[Linked Image]

Another angle, more view.

[Linked Image]

The dogs in the river directly behind the homesite.

[Linked Image]

And lastly, a sunrise during archery season a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

what a gorgeous piece of property...
That river pic is awesome. Thanks for the new screen saver coldbore.
That is awesome.
Thanks guys.

It's killing me to sell it. I know I'll never find anything to replace it, but I certainly can't take it with me if we move. frown

slg888, I have that exact same shot in the winter, all snowed up!

I can attest to the awesome beauty of the area. I have a camp near the Clarion and absolutley love it!!

Great find for someone for sure!!
You taking trades ? I have a wife and model 700 tirty odd six with 4 x Tasco if interested. Kidding, that is hard to walk away from. Somebody is going to be a lucky buyer, won't last long. Good luck at your next hunting grounds.

Tacksmacker
Originally Posted by tacksmacker
You taking trades ? I have a wife ....

Well, the potential move IS to Utah, so maybe...... laugh
Coldbore, so is it just outside of Clarion? I just showed the pics to THE wife.
Clarion is about 20 miles away. We are WSW of there. Check your PM's....
I'm interested. My son-in law is from Knox, PA. Is it near there? Please pm me with detailed info (address, township, google earth coordinates, annual taxes, etc.} We will be in the Harrisburg PA area over the holidays and could take a look at the property then if that works for you.
That is a gorgeous looking property. What part of UT is this possible move to? My brother lives in Vernal, UT in the Northeast part of the state and the Uinta Mtns are just north of town. A beautiful place as well. Good luck. Jim
Wow, I never thought I'd see you sell that piece of property. I figured they'd bury you there... Good luck wth the move.
Originally Posted by FlaRick
My son-in law is from Knox, PA. Is it near there?

That's the "town 10 miles away" with the gas, restaurants, and Sportsmans Outfitters!

Please pm me with detailed info (address, township, google earth coordinates, annual taxes, etc.}

Check your PM's. Taxes are $400-ish a year.

We will be in the Harrisburg PA area over the holidays and could take a look at the property then if that works for you.

Love to show it to you! Let me know when you're going to be here.
Originally Posted by diamondjim
What part of UT is this possible move to?

SLC area.

Though I'd rather live in the southern part, I think I can be hapopy there as well. smile
Originally Posted by Jamison
Wow, I never thought I'd see you sell that piece of property. I figured they'd bury you there...

Yeah, me too.... frown

You probably knew exactly what the post was by the title, before you even opened it.

(Chris and I worked together back when I bought it back in '99).
What a nice piece of propery. I could never live there though, because it's north of the mason-dixon. smile
Very nice

I'm from Saint Marys
Originally Posted by diamondjim
That is a gorgeous looking property. What part of UT is this possible move to? My brother lives in Vernal, UT in the Northeast part of the state and the Uinta Mtns are just north of town. A beautiful place as well. Good luck. Jim

Vernal, Utah beautiful??? I must have been thru there on a bad day.
CB -

Free BTT.

Sorry to hear of your move. Clarion is a beautiful area and it's only a couple of hours from Pittsburgh as well. Had the chance to move there with the company that owns the Piney hydro plant but family came first.

Stray Horse, when did you leave St. Marys? I was born there.

Ken
The Saint Marys' guys need to get together for a Peter Straub's Dark!
if by chance you don't sell it by next hunting season, can i have permission to hunt on it ?

(big grin)

i hunt east of clarion, over by hellon furnace, leaper area.

toby drive to be exact.

Originally Posted by splattermatic
if by chance you don't sell it by next hunting season, can i have permission to hunt on it ?

Absolutely.

I've always wanted to hunt New Mexico as well.... wink

There are a fair number of deer there. And, believe it or not... do you guys remember the huge nontypical captive breeder buck Goliath? The guy that owned him has a big fenced area less than a mile from our place (probably half a mile "as the deer travels"). A couple years ago, somebody (no, not me!!) cut the fence and two of Goliath's sons escaped (along with a handful of other deer), never to return. There are some SERIOUS genes spread in that area now!! shocked

leaper area

I was in Leeper a few weeks ago....
Selling your dream place in the hope that the new situation will be more satisfactory sounds like a really bad idea! Just sayin. . .
Don't confirm what I've had in the back of my mind.... blush eek
you pull a tag in unit 2 and i'll get you a deer or elk.
i work in my own back yard so to speak.

here's a pic of a bull i took 2 days ago.
there were 2 more just to the left of him just out of the frame, but he was the biggest.
[Linked Image]
Coldbore,
Dang if I had the cash I would be on a plane and buy your
property tomorrow. I grew up in the Tylersburg/Leeper area,
I hear that the black bear population is getting better
every year.
Originally Posted by Jericho
Dang if I had the cash I would be on a plane and buy your property tomorrow.

Owner financing is available (seriously), on pretty favorable terms.

I grew up in the Tylersburg/Leeper area,
I hear that the black bear population is getting better
every year.

Bears are getting to be more, and bigger. A good friend has a camp near there. They see bears all the time. Killed something like 20+ bears out of that camp over the years.

A 502 pounder was just killed on the road by the Old Stone House in Slippery Rock last month. shocked
you pull a tag in unit 2 and i'll get you a deer or elk.

Be careful what you say!

You're gonna be awful surprised when I show up knocking on your door next fall! laugh
if only i had a chunk for a down payment, i'd take it with owner financing.
send me a pm with what your thinking, please.
how much for how long, down payment , etc..

i'm serious, you can even stay at my house, all you gotta pay is gas to get out to them.
i see deer and elk daily, gets boring after awhile, but i can't pull a tag, so it's just oh well...

I grew up only 15 minutes from here and I can assure all interested parties that this is a great place to consider. In all directions you will find these pristine conditions.

If my daughter wasn't off to school in a year, we would be talking.
Originally Posted by huntem
I grew up only 15 minutes from here and I can assure all interested parties that this is a great place to consider. In all directions you will find these pristine conditions.

Thanks Huntem!

It really is a great area, with a ton to offer the outdoorsman.
send me a pm...

Check your PM's! smile
Dang---wished it were in SC because it would be a no-brainer.

Someone needs to jump on this.

Good luck!
I actually looked at this property last year. Nicely wooded along the river but a bit steep. Mature timber makes the setting really pretty. Private and quiet. I'm a land investor back here and I gave it some serious consideration but it wasn't set up the way I needed.

In my opinion, this is a very good piece of land at a good price.

I just sold a 100 acre tract of land on Pine Hollow Rd in Clarion this past summer for those who know the area. Bordered SGL #24.
Got a couple showings scheduled.

Hopefully somebody will like it... smile
Originally Posted by Stoneybroke
The Saint Marys' guys need to get together for a Peter Straub's Dark!

It's been a while since I've been back.
If this land isn't sold by next summer, I'll hold a cookout there, and everyone from here, or that "was" from here, is welcome to show up! Heck, even the "outsiders" are welcome if you want to travel!

There's a canoe in the barn, we'll get some inner tubes, get a big fire going, grill a bunch of stuff, maybe shoot a bit whistle, and just have a grand old time!

Of course, if somebody from here buys it, they'll be expected to hold the party as well! laugh
Bump.
No BS, that is well over $500k less then what that would cost in TX.

Beautiful place ya have there.
I can see why you don't want to leave it. A beautiful piece to say the least.
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Check your PM's. Taxes are $400-ish a year.

That made me a little bit sick right there. Here in tax hell WI, I don't even want to know what the taxes would be for that beautiful piece of land.
Thanks for the positive words guys!

Somebody will be VERY happy here.....
Beautiful place man.
Great looking place, ColdBore. A couple of thousand miles too far away, however.
Best wishes on your sale!

And, a bump.
Thanks guys.

Getting steady interest, but no buyer yet...
Weekend bump for a good guy. Nice looking property.
Thought I'd pull this one back up, in case anybody's in the market.

At $159,900, I'll leave the Ford 9N and mower shown in some of the pictures.

I cleared some more of the river bank last month for more view. Cut very few trees, but cleared all the branches below about 15 feet, so you still have lots of trees, just not blocking your view....
Damn, that's nice! I just drove through that area a week ago and it sure is pretty!
If you still have it next year, then maybe!
If I still have it next year, it may just be because I regained my senses and decided to keep it. grin

Or, you could just buy it now, and be a year closer to paying it off. whistle wink

I think I'm going to spend Thursday over there trimming a few limbs and cutting some grass. It's my mental therapy program...
Hey if you'll tote the note I figure I'm good for about $100.00 a month for the next 1,590 months! grin
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Hey if you'll tote the note I figure I'm good for about $100.00 a month for the next 1,590 months! grin

Ya know, that's not a bad idea.

I'd have steady guaranteed income until I'm past 175 years old! I probably wouldn't have to worry about outliving my money at that rate! grin
Nice area for sure...killed my 1st buck ever in Clarion Pa.
college girls were fun also wink
man, your killin me...
i'll go 300 a month.
EXCELLENT!

Now I can die peacefully at 150 instead, and not have to worry about stretching out my life, just so that I get paid off! grin

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
college girls were fun also wink

You can feel like a dirty old man driving through town. They didn't look like that when I was 18! blush smile

Ya know, that's not a bad idea.

I'd have steady guaranteed income until I'm past 175 years old! I probably wouldn't have to worry about outliving my money at that rate! grin

I want the tractor also!!
Originally Posted by tacksmacker
You taking trades ? I have a wife ....

Well, the potential move IS to Utah, so maybe...... laugh

What cha gonna do in Utah.........

Well, if you're taking my transportation then you're gonna need to buy me a wheelchair, no better yet, a motorized scooter, with turf tires (and maybe a roll bar) so I can get around when I come back to visit.

175 is kinda old, and I might be slowing down a bit by then. laugh
Originally Posted by tikkanut
What cha gonna do in Utah.........

Work as little as I can get away with, and hunt as much as I can! grin

Well, if you're taking my transportation then you're gonna need to buy me a wheelchair, no better yet, a motorized scooter, with turf tires (and maybe a roll bar) so I can get around when I come back to visit.

175 is kinda old, and I might be slowing down a bit by then. laugh

I have a wheelchair (We will have to share it 'cause I'll be about as old as you).
That and a hunk a rope or old chain hooked to the back of the tractor oughta pull us around jus fine!! grin

That and a hunk a rope or old chain hooked to the back of the tractor oughta pull us around jus fine!! grin

We're set!!

I call dibs on riding the wheelchair first!! laugh grin laugh
am interested. have any more particulars regarding property and surrounding area? Long.+Lat.?

Doc
PM sent. Thanks.
I've had two PM's in the past couple weeks about this property, so apparently it's still on somebody's minds. smile

So, time for a bump.

Spring is coming.... smile
OMG down here in Texas hill country that would go for $600k..really.
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
...$600k..really.

If you can figure out a way to fold it up and move it, you could buy it and make half a million profit... wink
Beautiful piece of property you have there.

From there to the SLC area sure ain't a trade up.
One time drop...

$149,900 if you can close by the end of June.

After that, it goes to a realtor, with the price adjusted to cover commissions and other costs that go along with selling through a realtor. crazy
Don't do it Gary. I keep telling you but you don't listen. Remember how your do it my way got you a new truck cry
Originally Posted by Onpoint
Don't do it Gary. I keep telling you but you don't listen. Remember how your do it my way got you a new truck cry

Yep...

I've only been in "my" (HER) new vehicle once, and only as a passenger. eek

She does tell me though on occassion how much she enjoys "my" new truck. shocked blush laugh
Bump for a great guy with a outdoorsman dream.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Beautiful piece of property you have there.

From there to the SLC area sure ain't a trade up.

I just spent Oct through March there, and while I enjoyed it, I'm starting to think you may be right. crazy

After looking at property there, I was kind of surprised at prices, especially in what everybody kept telling me is a down market. I lost a lot of motivation and desire to move while there. It was strange... I was full-on ready to go, but as time went on, and I explored a bit, I could feel the urge slowly but steadily draining away. crazy

I'm heading over to this place later this week to put the carb back on the tractor (rebuilt it last week for the coming season) and cut some grass.

I'm going to be thinking hard about taking it off the market while I'm there.

$400 a year to leave it sit ain't all that bad. I can hunt it, play in the river, and either let the property market recover a bit, or start thinking about building. Log (maybe confused ), an A-frame with a ton of glass overlooking the river, or possibly a nice cedar place (Lindal had a real nice design that I looked at in Montrose, CO a few years back...).

Maybe it's a sign that I really am meant to retire here....
How far North of the M-D line ya say?
Looking at a map, find I-80 crossing through PA.

The property sits just a few miles south of it.

So, guessing.... 100 miles or so north of the Mason-Dixon. Stand on your toes, on top of a big hill, and you could probably almost see it. cool
maybe a wee bit farther than a hundred north of the Mason-Dixon. West Virginia split from Virginia (unconstitutionally recognized I might add) but kept their slaves til after the war and the full abolishment of slavery. Same for Kentucky and two other states. You have to get to the bottom of WV to touch the Mason-Dixon line.

micky
Originally Posted by micky
maybe a wee bit farther than a hundred north of the Mason-Dixon..... You have to get to the bottom of WV to touch the Mason-Dixon line.

confused

Mason-Dixon line
Keep it for 400 bucks a year, it will give you a great Plan "B" location.

Nuttin cheap in the west, NO MO!

Had I bought a bunch of that 50 dollar and acre land in NM back then, I would be retired today.
Yep, it's starting to look like that's the way I'm headed.

Got news last week that the Utah gig could be much shorter termed than initially thought (as in possibly done in three years). For that long, I can just keep commuting.

We'll have our current house paid off in six years, and be totally debt free. And, we love where we are.

It's getting harder and harder to convince myself that I want to move, start over again, and end up paying double or triple for a house equivalent to what we're in now. Or, end up in a house that I'm not happy with, trying to stay at a more comfortable price level.

Like I mentioned above, maybe it's all a sign that I'm meant to keep it.

My wife is still leaning towards selling, even if we stay put in the current house, and I'm trying to appease her, so it's a balancing act. But I'm quickly losing incentive on my side of the partnership to get rid of it. blush
Hey I have a great idea. Buy the wife a new rav4 in exchange for you keeping the property!!!! grin Oh wait she already bought the rav4. Don't blame you for trying to keep her happy, you could end up with a gucci purse for your over night bag. Just trying to help a brother out. smirk
My wife is still leaning towards selling, even if we stay put in the current house, and I'm trying to appease her, so it's a balancing act.
A nice crack across the side of there face with the back of your hand, usually changes there mind and will allow her to see things your way.

PM me later and let me know if it worked. smile
I just got home from a day on the tractor, cutting the field.

My dad wanted to go as well, so last night we were talking... "Ya know, it's turkey season. We should go early, take a shotgun, hunt turkeys for a couple hours, then get to work."

"Nah, too much to do, no time for the turkeys. Besides, what's the chances anyway?".

So, we pull in today, round about 10 AM or so, and what's in the field? Yep, three youngish gobblers. blush

They see us, run up the hill, turn sideways, and head for the neighbors woods. We watched them run in that awkward "trot" that they do, for probably 200 or 300 yards.

We just looked at each other, smiled, and went "Yep, hunting woulda been a waste of time today....". laugh

Ah well, at least I got a bunch of grass cut!
Oh geez, if'n I had the money. Truth though, you really should keep it, IMHO.
Coldbore, BEAUTIFUL piece of property. I love PA and feel your pain for having to leave such an amazing slice of heaven. Amazing pricetag on that as well.
If you don't need the money don't sell it, especcially if the taxes are 400$ It would be 2,000 in Wis. We are looking for small parcels in Iowa, SW Wis. Not the best time to sell anyway.
Pic links got broken at the beginning somehow, so here they are again....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CB, that is VERY nice, any good WT deer hunting in the area?

Gunner
Great deer hunting, with very good genes in the area, as well as turkey and bear, good grouse, and great fishing. smile

(BTW, I had to reattach the pictures, causing the whole ad to pop back to the top, cause I linked this post to another post, and discovered that the links got broken somehow)

Sure would be nice
Bump for an absolutely perfect looking [and sounding to me like] retirement property. smile

Gunner

Can't believe a place this beautiful at such a low price has not sold. Can you ship to Oregon?
I think I can fit a bunch of stones from the river bank in a small Flat Rate box. cool
Man...sure wish I could do this.

I lived/worked in Punxsutawney for 2 years at the IUP campus while in Grad School and my fiance lived/worked at Clarion for 2 years.

Love the area.
I'm gonna show the little Wifey these pics this evening.

Bump

Gunner
© 24hourcampfire