Home
For sale, no trades please. Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 338 Win Mag. Rifle came from the factory wearing a synthetic stock, I purchased a used walnut sporter stock and bedded the barreled action into it using Devcon. The action and chamber are bedded, barrel is free floated and all interior surfaces have been sealed with Tru-oil. The barrel has been shortened to 24" and recrowned with a recessed crown by Redneck, trigger is set at 3 lbs and is nice and crisp. There are a couple marks in the finish on the stock, none of which are bad but I'll point them out in the photos below. Talley LW rings are included, scope is not for sale.

Since putting the rifle into the new stock, I've started load development but have only tried two bullets - 225 gr Accubonds and 210 Partitions. The rifle seems to like the 210 Partitions better as they can be seated as close to the lands as desired, the shape of the Accubonds prevents them from being seated up close. Rifle seems to like RL-19, I've got some groups in the 1" to 1.5" range although I haven't found it's sweet spot.

Reason I'm selling this rifle is that it's just more rifle than I care to sit down and shoot for extended periods of time. I'm more comfortable in the 270 to 30/06 range in terms of recoil and I've been itching to build a 280 Ackley, hence this rifle is for sale. I'm asking $750 shipped and insured in a hard case to your FFL, rifle and Talley lightweights only. I will offer a 3 day non-firing inspection period, buyer pays return shipping if you're not satisfied. If you have any questions or would like any additional photos, please let me know.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are a couple of marks in the finish, seen above on the side below the action.

[Linked Image]

There is a light mark in the finish near the bottom of the buttstock, about an inch up and 1/2" inside the buttplate. Also, there is a "safe bump" in the wood on the left side of the action near the back of the rear scope base. Not bad, but it's there.

[Linked Image]

I also have a new Decelerator pre-fit recoil pad that I would include with the rifle for $25 if the buyer is interested.

Thank You.
Nice rifle and CFVA is a great guy to deal with. Bump for a good deal and great person.
nice stick!

good price!

wish i had the funds!

please somebody snag this....my wife will freakin' kill me smile
Thanks, I appreciate it on both accounts!
Up for the morning crowd.
And again for the evening group...
Length of pull is 13 1/2" with red pad, the Decelerator pad stretches it out to right at 14".

I have dies and quite a bit of reloading supplies for the rifle, can be sold with the rifle or will sell them seperately after the rifle sells.

Open to reasonable offers, thank you.
Bump for a great guy and very nice rifle....
I can't believe this rifle is still here.........

Nice rifle and a good price.
Me neither, I've got a nice 338 win mag (one of my favorite cartridges!!!) or I'd buy this one. I've never had a finicky 338WM. They've all been shooters and they take the elk down like nobodys business.
Thanks, guys. I was starting to think the rifle was just too ugly for the folks here!
Am I going to have to get the wife to model this thing in a bikini in order to get it sold? whistle
Springtime is a tough time to sell rifles even when they are offered at great prices such as this one is.
Originally Posted by CFVA
Am I going to have to get the wife to model this thing in a bikini in order to get it sold? whistle

Yep....

YES!
I have a 70 SS in 338 and this is a great rifle at a darn good price, especially considering the walnut stock and that the minor custom work is exactly what most people would want. Stainless 70 338s are not easy to find but for those that want a 338 and want hunt in rough conditions they are hard to beat. As far as I know the new EW 70s have not hit street yet in 338, so the Classics are the way to go. Plus I like the the way they look better anyway!

Originally Posted by JRaw
I have a 70 SS in 338 and this is a great rifle at a darn good price, especially considering the walnut stock and that the minor custom work is exactly what most people would want. Stainless 70 338s are not easy to find but for those that want a 338 and want hunt in rough conditions they are hard to beat. As far as I know the new EW 70s have not hit street yet in 338, so the Classics are the way to go. Plus I like the the way they look better anyway!

Yeah, and this one has the old style trigger in it. Some here can't get past the newer moa trigger on the extreme weathers. This is a nice classic.
Bump as a thanks for not having a gazillion ads in the classifieds....
Thanks.

I've never sold a centerfire rifle before and must admit I don't really want to sell this one, but I know I won't shoot it as much as I should because of the recoil. Plus I think muzzle breaks are hideous.
As per numerous requests, here is an updated picture:

[Linked Image]

I hope that all details are clearly shown in the new picture.
Now, that got my attention!
That is so not fair !!!!
Oh my!
uhhh what were we talking about? wink
Your a lucky man damm
My stainless 338 doesn't look like that!

My walnut/stainless 300WM doesn't look like that either!
I'm pretty sure I don't have any rifles that look like that.

I think I'd notice something like that laying around.

Wow. Those are some nice Talley's!

Should sell now.

What would it cost if you throw in the rifle-rack?
we will have a helll of a bidding war if the rifle rack was included thats for sure.
Thanks for the complements, but I think I'm going to keep the rack. Too expensive to replace!
Was there a rifle in the picture?? blush
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Was there a rifle in the picture?? blush

What rifle?

As per numerous requests, here is an updated picture:

[Linked Image]

I hope that all details are clearly shown in the new picture.

Gonna need to see proof she's a redhead..... BIG grin.....

(I blame BSA!)
I new you'd love it Jeff. You need to make him an offer grin

Sorry CFVA, BACK TO THE RIFLE: I still think that is a good deal on the rifle and am surprised no one has bought it yet. Bump for a great guy and a very nice SS model 70 in 338 win mag.
I wouldn't have time for that rifle either. I'm surprised you remembered you had it.
<Rollin'>

CFVA, somehow I had no doubt you'd get her to do that!

Too funny...

The only thing prettier than that rifle is CFVA's wife who's holding it.

As far as replacing that "rifle rack", CFVA is crazy, but not stupid. He KNOWS how far he outkicked his coverage with her.

Someone needs a new "elk hammer"; buy with confidence.
Free bump, because CFVA has better things to do than worry about selling this rifle.
Dude...........now thats a fine lookin' set of face warmers! cool
CFVA you screwed up, now no one is paying attention to that rifle grin
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
<Rollin'>

CFVA, somehow I had no doubt you'd get her to do that!

Too funny...

The only thing prettier than that rifle is CFVA's wife who's holding it.

As far as replacing that "rifle rack", CFVA is crazy, but not stupid. He KNOWS how far he outkicked his coverage with her.

Someone needs a new "elk hammer"; buy with confidence.

I'll be the first to admit that I definately married well above my means!

I've got a buttload of reloading gear for the rifle and will entertain serious offers on the rifle. She needs to go to a loving home, the rifle not the rack!
Got any pictures of 'er out of the stock? You never know what might be happening below the stock line... grin...
Jeff he said she was bedded. OOPS.. may need some clarification on that one blush
Bump if the rifle is still for sale.
Hopefully this sold already because it is one fine rifle.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Got any pictures of 'er out of the stock? You never know what might be happening below the stock line... grin...

I can get you pics of the rifle out of the stock, but I'm not so sure about the willingness of the other subject matter!

Rifle is still available, thanks.
Bump for a rifle I'd love to own..Very nice SS 338 win mag in the classic action model 70.
TTT
Thanks, Guys.

Up for a Monday morning, rifle would make an excellent place to invest that tax return!
I'll take it. You have a PM.
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I'll take it. You have a PM.

Rifle is SPF.

Please send photos back of it next to something really big and dead!
CFVA, even those photos wouldn't compare to how you advertised this thing. Hey do you have any like that of the stock I bought from you?? Sorry blush, had to ask laugh.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
CFVA, even those photos wouldn't compare to how you advertised this thing. Hey do you have any like that of the stock I bought from you?? Sorry blush, had to ask laugh.

Wife said "Send it back, we can arrange it!"

We're thinking about opening up a custom rifle marketing service, just send the rifles here for me to play with, then we'll snap the photos and let the advertising begin!
That's funny laugh. Glad to see you sold your nice rifle, I was contemplating having 2 338's there for a while grin
Rifle is back up for sale, buyer had another opportunity that came along which was too good to pass up.

Thanks to all of those who had looked before.
I was the buyer and I had a local opportunity that made purchasing this rifle impractical. However, I was fortunate enough to have gotten to speak with the seller a couple of times and can honestly say that I wish everyone were as pleasant to deal with as this gentleman is. A genuinely decent individual whom I would have absolutely no reservations about doing business with in the future. Free bump for a good guy and a nice rifle. Good luck with the sale.
Originally Posted by ykrvak
I was the buyer and I had a local opportunity that made purchasing this rifle impractical. However, I was fortunate enough to have gotten to speak with the seller a couple of times and can honestly say that I wish everyone were as pleasant to deal with as this gentleman is. A genuinely decent individual whom I would have absolutely no reservations about doing business with in the future. Free bump for a good guy and a nice rifle. Good luck with the sale.

Your right CFVA is a great person to deal with. Bump for a very nice rifle in 338 win mag. The perfect elk, bear, NA do anything rifle.
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.

If it rains here this weekend, I may drag the rifle to the show at Richmond to try and find it a new home. If anyone here has an offer on their mind between now and then, I'm all ears.
I'm going to give this rifle a few more days before I try and figure out how to put it on Gunbroker.

Let's give it a go at $700 shipped and insured in a hard plastic case to the lower 47. AK, HI and CA residents to pay any additional shipping charges over $25. Fair enough? I'm going to include the "prefit" Decelerator pad along with the rifle and rings for this price. USPS MO only, shipped to your FFL.

If there's no interest before Tuesday evening, I'm going to try and list it on Gunbroker at that time.

Thank you.
One more look for the afternoon crowd.

Bump.
I wish I could buy it.

Guys, these sell on Gunbroker all the time for $800 plus shipping.

Somebody buy this!
Rifle has been listed on gunbroker. I'm assuming it's okay to say that the rifle is available here until the reserve has been met on gunbroker? If that's not the correct way to handle this, please correct me. This is all new to me.

Thanks for looking.
Sounds about right cfva, I'm surprised it hasn't sold by now. That is a damn nice rifle. Hey, if you had someone else pose with the rifle maybe we'd really be looking at the rifle and not something else laugh whistle I'll check it out on GB and see how the ad looks.
Rifle has met reserve on GB, so it's no longer for sale elsewhere. Wife is offended, I didn't use her advertising genius there...

Thanks to all who inquired.
© 24hourcampfire