Home
Posted By: GeoW Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
GB auction link

It appears the bidder only bids on the sellers auctions and of course the only feedback for the bidder is from the seller.

Been scratching my head on this one. Shill bidder?

g
Not sure to what you refer. The seller has over 8000 feedbacks, from many buyers... Auction appears legitimate, perhaps that buyer chooses to only bid on that sellers auctions...
Posted By: GeoW Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
The bidder left A+ feed backs for 18 auctions for that seller on one day. 6-19-12 ..

For same seller, look at feed back on 6-12-12 I counted twelve that day from buddyyyy all A+ of course..

Like I said, where am I confusing myself?
Posted By: Waders Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
That buyer sure bought a lot of firearms on 5/15. But, the sales price of the few items I looked at seemed legit. And, both the buyer and seller are from Minnesota--maybe the buyer saves shipping and handling by picking up his purchases in person. He wouldn't have to pay an FFL to paper out his guns either.

If (and I do say "if") that is the case, then the buyer has a pretty good thing going--he gets firearms from a known seller at pretty good deals. Maybe he resells the guns at gun shows. (?)

(I didn't check, but if the buyer is a shill bidder, then the seller would have to later resell the firearms that the shill supposedly won.)
im 99% sure that the gun broker account is reeds sporting goods in mn they are a chain store that does alot of gun buissness
i think they have multiple acounts for multiple stores...
Saw that Wade, 23 transactions to the same buyer on 5/15.

I'm probably all wrong, I hope so!

Geo
Posted By: DIXIE Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
I've noticed the same before, where seller has same bidder all the time driving the reserve up at the last second!
I bought two guns from them a year or two ago at differant times no problems>
Posted By: Coach_W Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by DIXIE
I've noticed the same before, where seller has same bidder all the time driving the reserve up at the last second!

That's shady.

I guess it happens on Ebay and GB?
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
Looks OK IMO, the prices for the auctions I searched were decent prices and in the level of resale candidates for my area. The tracks aren't covered too well for a shil bidder, they usually have multiple accounts to cover the tracks. I think you have a resale bidder using one major supplier. JMO.
^^^ That's my read on it too.
Posted By: nate4567 Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
I have bought a couple savages from him. All went through good. I would guess that it is a big pawn shop.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by Coach_W

That's shady.

I guess it happens on Ebay and GB?

Yes, I knew a couple that routinely used ghost accounts to inflate bids on their auctions...but some knucklehead reported them to e-bay and they were kicked off... grin

I think it's become easier to trace and less of an issue than in the early days of on-line auctions. I've had more problems with fake auctions than I've had with inflated bids. The stolen accounts with "buy now-pay now" auctions were pretty bad for a while on GB, they seem to have gone away again...until the next loophole is found.
Maybe you should bring it to the attention of Gunbroker.
Gunbroker is legit and they want to keep their site legit.
Check this guys feedback, jrluckyone2008, another that has made bunch of purchases from seller.

Looks like to me that seller sells with no reserve, but if his item does not bring what he wants, one of his shill bidders, ghost bidders, keeps it from selling to the honest high bidder.

That's just my opinion.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by Redbone311
Maybe you should bring it to the attention of Gunbroker.
Gunbroker is legit and they want to keep their site legit.

+1

Posted By: tack Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/25/12
+2
Posted By: Huntz Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/26/12
Originally Posted by GeoW
Check this guys feedback, jrluckyone2008, another that has made bunch of purchases from seller.

Looks like to me that seller sells with no reserve, but if his item does not bring what he wants, one of his shill bidders, ghost bidders, keeps it from selling to the honest high bidder.

That's just my opinion.

Really no benefit as he still pays his listing and auction fees.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/26/12
Only benefit is to jack up his price to where he wants it, or to have a no-sale, even though it appears to be a legitimate auction sale.

JP, you said you had a satisfactory auction purchase with this outfit... Were you the only bidder or were you bidding against one of the many names he has?

Often you'll see the item re-listed later, too. whistle whistle

Shill...Nah! grin
Of course shill bidding happens. The nice thing is that when a shill bidder wins the auction, the seller (i.e., the shill bidder) has to pay an auction fee.

There was one guy I know of who was selling an airplane on eBay. He thought he was going to run up the price on the plane by bidding on it himself and he won his own airplane. He ended up selling it for less than he would have gotten if he had just let the high legitimate bidder on eBay have it. Just deserts if you ask me.
This auction was legit. wink

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=292182572
Posted By: GeoW Re: Is this GB auction legit? - 06/26/12
Nice one too! smile
Yup, i'd say that the bidder was buying back auction items that had bids for the item to low, and no reserve price. I've seen this on ebay too..not supposed to do that..
To find the site is legit site visit WhoisXY.com and get the details like Registrar Name,Registrar Whois,Owner mail ID,phone number,contact address etc..using Whois Search tool.
Using that details guess it is legit site or not (or) E-mail/contact the owner and know the details about that site.You can also read review about that site.
© 24hourcampfire