Home
This one is in rough shape with a crack on the stock. However it does not affect function of the firearm at all, but does affect it being a collector piece. I know it looks brown and it is brown, but this one is called seneca green.
it was made in Feb of 1960 and it is the seneca green model. 45,270 were made between 1958-1963. Mine is in rough shape. This in good shape is the most collectible model out of all the nylon 66's. in good condition this is a $1000+ rifle.
I am going to say this one is $500obo but I prefer trades.
Trades: most caliber Rifles; 9mm, .45, .38, .357 pistols; I love .22's of all types, reloading supply, higher end knives, good optics, let me know what you have.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by yotehunter1983
I know it looks brown and it is brown, but this one is called seneca green.
it was made in Feb of 1960 and it is the seneca green model. B

OK, that sure looks like Mohawk brown...
I was thinking the same thing, but had to Google it. Found this image on nylonrifles.com.

Top is Mohawk Brown, middle is Seneca Green, and the bottom is a green Apache 77. Website also says, "In fact it looks more brown until you hold it up to a regular Mohawk brown stock".

[Linked Image]

It would be nice to see this one next to a Mohawk Brown. The pictures are a little dark.
I've had several and in pictures and most light they (seneca green) look brown.
Originally Posted by yotehunter1983

[Linked Image]

I apologize if I am wrong, but I would've bet money based on this pic that it was Mohawk brown...
Watever color it is, I wish I had ome decent trade bait left to offer. I really dig Nylon 6 rfles, ish the big green would bring them back. Maybe with the slick Ruger magazine being compatible.
It is in fact Seneca Green. I can take more pics if you guys have suggestions how to show it better without having a mohawk brown one to compare it to. My dad had a mohawk brown one so I am very familiar with that color.
Still partial to the Apache Black/chrome version...how else can the cowboys see the "glint" off of the rifle barrel just before the shot from those pesky redskins! Oh and they tell me there were some "green" ones made with the Boy Scouts of America logo on the side plate, I would love to own one of those. Like Brad Pitts' character in "Spy Game" I too learned to shoot in the Boy Scouts!
I know of where there is a "150 years of gunmaking" specially marked Nylon 66 at a local pawn shop.

I am considering offering up my custom made damscus steel 'working' hog killing knife with its bone, ebony and gold ring scales in a large Bowie style as a trade for this rifle. Never thought I would turn loose of this knife, but I dig Nylon 66's that much!

My resolve is weakening...... somebody buy this before I sacrifice a very cool one of a kind custom knife on the altar of 4lb 22 rifles! smile
Oh, and I just traded a 1930's vintage Winchester Model 57 target bolt action 22 with awsome peep sights for one of the "Apache Black" black and chrome model rifles you speak of in your post. I had been wanting one since I saw them as a kid in the mid '60's and traded to my financial (value VS value) detriment to get it. That is how bad my affliction is <G>

Outside of that one rifle and an AR-15 my other guns are all nice wood and blued steel. Interesting to me how one who is so drawn up to classics of Walnut and chromemoly steel can also have such an attraction to the almost gareish black and chrome Nylon 66. Must be mostly because I wanted one so bad as a kid.
I have one that has been my go to working rifle since 1965. It is in Seneca Green which is my favorite color for them. I have killed a pile of stuff with it and treated it badly, yet it never let me down. I can't ever remember a jam or a misfire that was not the shells fault. miles
Here is a cool link on the nylon rifleshttp://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2009/01/introductionremingtonnylonrifle/
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm
Yeah it is a great rifle never an issue. I still use it and would rather get rid of it before I beat it up anymore.
In my early 20's I had an Apache black/chrome and a pair of High Standard double nine's chrome/black with a black leather double holster. Talked about being "pimped out"!
I have gotten posts from several people claiming this is not seneca green. This is indeed seneca green if someone is interested I can show it at any time. I have had the mohawk brown and this is no where near that color. I will try to take some more pics but it is hard to tell without a mohawk to compare it to.

This is a photo off the internet. It is not mine but it is the difference between seneca green and mohawk brown...
[Linked Image]

These pics I just took: here is 2 more pics of the rifle on a coyote hide and with my tan dog in the pic to compare colors.
Taken with 2 different cameras
Nikon P90
[Linked Image]

Sony dsc-hx100v
[Linked Image]
I am not worried about the color, and if the rifle is still here tomorrow.... oh heck, PM sent with a trade idea. I will be most proud to own this fine Seneca Green Nylon 66 if my offering of barter is suitable.

MARK
If You SaY It's SenecaGreen, That's What It IS. End Of Discussion.
Didn't someone beat Topperwein's record with one of these rifles? I remember reading about it in an old 22LR book.
Rem used to have an ad, with a shooter sitting on a pile of wooden blocks that had been shot with a Nylon 66 22 several thousand.
BTT
Rem used to have an ad, with a shooter sitting on a pile of wooden blocks that had been shot with a Nylon 66

2 inch square hand thrown wood blocks, if my memory is not plumb shot. Seems like his name might have been Tom Fry. miles
Google turned this up. miles

Tom Frye

In 1959, champion Tom Frye of Remington Arms Company broke Ad Topperwein's aerial shooting record for shooting 2� inch cubes of wood thrown in the air. Over a period of 13 9 hour long days, using several Remington Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 Long Rifle rifles, he hit 100,004 of the 100,010 blocks thrown in the air. Frye's record is disputed because his thrower tossed the blocks in line with the rifle barrel, while Topperwein's thrower tossed the blocks perpendicular to the rifle barrel, thus making Topperwein's shots much more difficult.[citation needed] Also among Frye's accomplishments was a run of 800 straight singles in trap, set in 1963.[5][6]
price drop to $450
trade for decent spotting scope
$400
BTT
© 24hourcampfire