Home
For Sale: Winchester Big 5 set from the Custom Shop when it was still in New Haven. All rifles are NIB and come with original paperwork and boxes. Only 125 of these sets were made and many have been broken up or the rifles fired. The calibers are: .338 Win Mag, .375 H&H, .416 Rem Mag, .458 Win Mag and .470 Capstick.

[Linked Image]

Additional images available

[Linked Image]

$20,000.00
very pretty
Very nice.. Would look good in my gun case.. Good luck in selling..
Buying those five rifles would be the definition of being "Winchester Poor".

Doc
Bought them back in the early 2000's.

I have a friend who has a .375 from one of the sets. He bought plain bottom metal for it and has taken it to Africa a couple of times. I have shot it and it is a great shooter for a .375.
That is impressive, heck I'm happy just looking at the picture.
[Linked Image]

Here is a shot showing the gold inlaid bottom metal
Wow!!! Good luck selling. Wish I had $20000 laying around. These would be in my safe.
Would you take $900 for the .416? I understand shipping may cost upwards of $19,100, so maybe you'd throw in the other four just as a bonus...

DAMN-fine collection you've got there! I've only ever seen a complete set one other time at a gun shop and I think they wanted something north of $25k for them. That .470 Capstick sure is a hellofa unique bolt gun!

-John
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Wow!!! Good luck selling. Wish I had $20000 laying around. These would be in my safe.

These of course are beauties, as one might expect from the New Haven Custom Shop. $20K is $4,000 apiece which is not unreasonable for what they are, NIB, with Custom Shop letters, special features and especially for a complete set.

The problem is in finding a buyer, since it likely will be someone who will never shoot any of them, but will tuck them away in a safe, hoping to keep them for investment (not a great idea) or just to possess them. If I had enough spendable cash, I'd like to have them, of course, but I don't. Nice to think about, though! There surely are some folks here who do. Good luck.

That's a good deal, my buddy bought a set a couple years ago for over $30,000.
I have seen them go at auction for north of $30k. Online for over $25k
I need to win the lottery....

Gorgeous rifles..
Originally Posted by Westman
I need to win the lottery....

Gorgeous rifles..
+1 bump up again
Thanks for the bump, gunchamp!
That set of rifles would be like: you get a date with the prettiest girl you ever met. then when you go to pick her up, you learn that she is a quintuplet and there she sits with her four sisters, all smiling at you. And they can cook, too.
If you break em up I'm interested in the 375 & 416
A full set like that is something to behold... don't they have matching or consecutive serial numbers when purchased in the set like that?

Phil
Drooling and broke here
Buy em and resell em if they're worth 30K. Or better yet OP, auction them babies off and spend the additional proceeds on charity.
It would be a travesty to break that set of gorgeous rifles up.
Duckster, Thank you for sharing these with us - the true definition of "eye candy"!! cool
This is in my opinion the "coolest" set of rifles I've ever seen on any gun site. Have you tried any "high end" gun dealers that specialize in safari type rifles or cater to the safari hunter....the guys with the big bucks.

Try Top Guns in Georgia. Gentleman that owns the place is Tom Johnston. He loves fine rifles and namely Winchester products.

GLWS
I remember seeing a set of these at the Scheel's in Appleton Wisconsin many years ago.
Collector's Firearms in Houston would be interested in that set as well.
They are all the same serial number, ending in BF1-5 for each of the specific guns.
Originally Posted by duckster
They are all the same serial number, ending in BF1-5 for each of the specific guns.

IMO, you should definitely hold out for selling as a set. You should get far more for them than if you were to break them up.

To be specific, I do not think that every one of the five would necessarily command as much as 4K, and some like the .375 Capstick might might take a while to push. smile

Good luck -- they'll sell.
I'll take it.

Pending me out my dad winning the lottery.
The set is back on the market, if anyone is interested.

Thanks
BTT
What a magnificent set of rifles! Good luck with your sale duckster.
Thanks for sharing ... Good luck with your sale ...
Thanks.
Wow, that is an amazing collection, love it.
There's a mail order catalog called "things you never knew existed and can't live without" which is exactly how I now feel about that .470 Capstick.
There was a old article in one of the shooting mags about how A-Square developed the .470 Capstick and their Hannibal rifle. Can't remember which magazine off the top of my head.
Bump
bump
If I make monthly payments for the rest of my life can I shoot them now?
Maybe that is a idea?

Rental!
Breathtaking.

I have an old issue of Rifle from the 70's or 80's and Safari International commissioned some of the "best" gunbuilders in the day and built a set of "Big 5" rifles - all on commercial Mauser actions and all engraved/etc. Cool to see Winchester did the same thing years later.

These are just amazing rifles.
I have not handled a lot of rifles from the old Winchester Custom shop, but these rifles really are nice with great wood.
This set is still available. BTT
Merry Christmas bump for a Beautiful set of rifles...now if I can just win a Powerball jackpot we'll talk....until then, thanks for letting us look and drool...and without drooling on them!
Fantastic!

What part of the country are you located in?

Merry Christmas!
Jeff
Originally Posted by duckster

what number of 125 are they ?
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town for some Christmas activities.

The rifles are serial # 37 of #125 and I am in Nebraska. Thanks for the interest.
I'm sorry you haven't sold these, but it's nice to see them and think, "if the power ball hits, I've still got a chance at them"
BTT
PM Inbound
Got the PM. Photos sent
Would love to see close up pics of the individual floorplates if you would indulge us all.
OK,

will have to do a bit of uploading tonight
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][/URL[URL=http://s134.photobucket.com/user/tdbmd/media/IMG_0659_zps440fbb39.jpg.html][Linked Image]
The leopard is the .338, the lion is .375, the rhino is .470, the elephant is .458 and the buff is .416 (from memory)
Oh to have the money...those are beautiful...
Very, very nice. Thanks for the extra pics
TTT
BTT
Damn man nice. i have personally only seen the whole set together one time. It was at Cabelas in Dundee MI. I'm very very jealous
Many sets have been broken up. I don't know how many are still intact
WOW!

ttt
BTT
Very very nice!
Bump
Rifle set is still available
Set is still available
Bump to top
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
There's a mail order catalog called "things you never knew existed and can't live without" which is exactly how I now feel about that .470 Capstick.

That's what I thought. Perhaps I read too many Capstick books, but that caliber always intrigued me. If these were lefties, I'd take out a 2nd mortgage and they would be mine. Bump for a helluva set of irons. Good luck with the sale!
I shot a model 70 Winchester 470 capstick two that was awesome but I like 416 in model 70 best awesome gun !
Duckster, try Accurate Reloading's ""Arbay" classifieds. May find a buyer there. Many many of those folks are African Safari hunters, even Big 5 guys. Lots of those fellas seem to have the cash to buy a collection like this.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5451078981

Good luck
Thanks. I will check it out
Set still available for the Christmas gift for the guy who needs a set like this!
Set is still available for your safari this summer!
Christmas is just around the corner.
Are they all CRF "classic" receivers?
Yes. All from the Winchester Custom shop
Only a couple of weeks until Christmas!
I have had a couple of contacts regarding the set. I will honor the sale in order of contact with me, if more than one buyer is serious. Don't know any other way to be fair about it. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire