Home

I have a Remington 700 Classic Stainless in 257 Roberts that was a limited special non catalogued run of Classics for a distributer I believe in the late 90’s.
This was my wifes gun but she now shoots a 7mm-08 so this one has not left the safe in about 8 years. This rifle has been accurized by Hill Country Rifles in New Bruanfels, TX and shoots fantastic groups. Factory trigger is set just below 3 lbs.

I am the original owner of the gun. It has been hunted with but taken very good care of. It has some minor handling marks on the stock which I will try to show in the picks. There is also a very small separation between the wood and the spacer between the butt pad. It is very small but I will try to show it in the picks.
Gun has been fired no more than 100 times tops.
Comes with Leupold rings and bases. Scope is not included.

Gun Specs:
-Remington 700 Classic Stainless 257 Roberts
-Long action
-13” Length of Pull
-22” original uncut barrel
-Less than 100 rounds fired

Asking $1050 shipped to your FFL.
I can email with more pics of any of the minor scratches or imperfections on the gun.
Will come with the original box and paperwork.

Attached picture bob21.jpg
Attached picture bob22.jpg
Attached picture bob23.jpg
Attached picture bob24.jpg
Attached picture bob25.jpg
Wow. Is that a long action??

ETA: My reading comprehension finally kicked in. Long action. Nice rifle and HCR does a great accurizing job on them.

Yes. Long action
Is the butt pad original or has it been added?
Factory length of pull or has the length of pull been altered?
What was done during the "accrurizing package" ?
Butt pad is a Pachmayr Decelerator not factory
Length of pull has been slightly shortened from factory
Below is a list of what was done during accurizing.

Inspect chamber and barrel with our Hawkeye Bore Scope
Inspect chamber for proper head space with go and no-go gauges
Ensure even locking lug contact as head space allows
Recrown barrel to ensure a perfectly concentric crown
Aluminum Pillar and Glass Bed receiver and floor plate
Free-float barrel
Clean, inspect and tune your trigger
Check base for level and lap scope rings for a perfect fit
The 257 Roberts Classic was only made in 1982, on a short action and never in stainless.

This could be some distributor special but no Remington collector would ever recognize it as a Classic. None were stainless ever.

Sounds like a nice rifle and no doubt is a better rifle than the 82' 257 Bob Classic.
Hard to find anything like this for a tad more than a grand today.

Suggest you check with Roy Marcott to see if Remington ever built any short action cartridge on a long action.
The OP said it was a spec run & non catalogued. Rem has made 257 Roberts M700s on both short & long actions.

Nice rifle. Free bump.

I do know that the rifle was not made in 82 and it is in fact a special run Classic that was built on a long action. Attached is a photo of the tag on the Remington packet that I still have and comes with the gun.

Thanks

Attached picture bobpaper.jpg
Originally Posted by 7x64FN
The 257 Roberts Classic was only made in 1982, on a short action and never in stainless.

This could be some distributor special but no Remington collector would ever recognize it as a Classic. None were stainless ever.

Sounds like a nice rifle and no doubt is a better rifle than the 82' 257 Bob Classic.

Suggest you check with Roy Marcott to see if Remington ever built any short action cartridge on a long action.

WRONG! and WRONG!

How many 1982 Classic Rbts have you had?? Long action, gloss blue, 24" barrel. OP has a different animal that I'd love to have. Especially with a long action and a 22" barrel in stainless. That's about the best you can do with a Rem 700.

Why would you doubt him? This is a fantastic rifle in a more fantastic cartridge. Somebody needs to snatch it up.

I believe the label also says it has 5R rifling? Another bonus if that's what it says.

[Linked Image]
Free bump for a truly great rifle, and enjoying the commentary from the internet experts.

WRONG AGAIN! Of course they made these. They actually made them in numerous chamberings over the years, in both long and short action calibers, with the exact setup he has.
I owned 2 Remington Classics in 257 Roberts and were bought new in box, both long action. The stainless version was offered much later from a "special run" and also was long action.
PM sent.

The 5* on the box is for the magazine capacity. 4+1 in the chamber.

It's not 5R rifling that Im aware of.

Comment?
Originally Posted by eastcut96

The 5* on the box is for the magazine capacity. 4+1 in the chamber.

It's not 5R rifling that Im aware of.

10-4. I didn't think they did that. Thanks.
Originally Posted by GeoW

Comment?

I'd rather he didn't.......ever.
The least he could have done was admit he was flat wrong... nothing more, please!
Sorry to the OP....but at least we're keeping a fantastic rifle up top.

Larry was wrong about the 03-A3 as well. Hopefully he didn't screw up that sale by running anybody off. I think we've cleared the air on this thread.....as if the OP needed any help. LOL.

257 Heaven, I was not wrong on the 03A3 thread. Everything I said was true and conforms with any book you can find on 03s/03A3s/03A4s. I collected 03s for longer than most folks here have been alive. Show me some original source data that proves anything I said was incorrect.

As far as this 257 goes, I am contacting the Remington's Collector's Society to get the straight facts from real experts.

The standard reference on 700s, Lacy's book, make no mention of any long action rifle being chambered for a short cartridge, nor would it have made any sense as the 25-06 was available. Back in the day Bob's were built on long actions with barrels having deep throats. This allowed more powder space when seating long bullets in the 120 gr range. Again this died once the 25-06 became a Remington standard cartridge.

It would be interesting if the owner of this rifle could supply the serial number and all the prime markings on the barrel to help the folks at the RCS.

If the folks at RCS tell me that Remington built Long action cataloged Classics in 257 Bob on long actions in stainless, I'll be happy to eat crow.

A bit of research yielded this:

"There is, for the fist time, Remington Classic rifle information consolidated in one place by a writer who researched Remington's records/factory codes, and several other sources (quoted in the article).

The information is in the 2008 Gun Digest, in the article " The Remington 700" by Steve Gash.

Here's the published LE Classic production table, simplified by me - as there lots more info in it:

Date code - Year - Caliber - Production Total

B - 1981 - 7x57, 2018 made
C - 1982 - 257R, 6561
D - 1983 - 300 H&H, 5846
E - 1984 - 250 Sav, 5742
F - 1985 - 350 Rem Mag, 5756
G - 1986 - 264 Win Mag, 3468
H - 1987 - 338 Win Mag, 4792
I - 1988 - 35 Whelan, 8805
J - 1989 - 300 Weatherby, 10,779
K - 1990 - 25-06, 6935
L - 1991 - 7mm Weatherby, 3092
M - 1992 - 220 Swift, 7594
N - 1993 - 222 Rem, 2021
O - 1994 - 6.5x55, 3858
P - 1995 - 300 Win Mag, 4232
Q - 1996 - 375 H&H, 3102
R - 1997 - 280, 1917
S - 1998 - 8mm Rem Mag, 2133
T - 1999 - 17 Rem, 3022
U - 2000 - 223, 3570
W - 2001 - 7mm-08, 2682
X - 2002 - 221 Fireball, 3567
Y - 2003 - 300 Sav, 4036
Z - 2004 - 8x57, 2248
A - 2005 - 308, 1479

Cumulative 25 year total: 105,981"

Now here's one to chew on:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/936834853/Remington-Model-700-Classic-Stainless-LTD-220-Swift.htm

Note it is called a "Classic Limited" and is not a long action. Perhaps we just have a confusion in terminology as Remington chose to reuse a name associated with a "one cartridge per year" rifle for other rifles, appending the name with "Limited" ?

Always interesting on this site how some people are unable to have a difference of opinion without resorting to name calling and flaming anyone who dares to offer an alternative to their opinion.

I'll let you know what the RCS says. best, Larry
Why would the op have to prove anything to you? Your dead wrong again, and you've screwed up another persons ad... again.

As far as this 257 goes, I am contacting the Remington's collector's society to get the straight facts from real experts.

The standard reference on 700s, Lacy's book, make no mention of any long action rifle being chambered for a short cartridge,

Awesome. Lacy's book was published before this rifle was made.

Regardless, you could also just Google the following.

remington 700 classic stainless 257 roberts

I've had one of these in my hands years ago in a local gun store. Super nice piece. Additionally, I've held in my hands the 700 short action ADL synthetic in .257 Roberts that I purchased from this very forum.

Another free bump for a sweet rig.
It was a non-cataloged special run from Remington. If you do a little research you can find information on it.

The OP did provide the tag from Remington so it's obviously real.

You Are Hereby Invited To A "Crow Banquet".
Sorry, but any non-cataloged special run, does not qualify as the "one cartridge per year" rifles that were cataloged as Classics.

No more than:

LIPSEY'S EXCLUSIVE
RU1B257WBYMAG
1B STD RIFLE 257WBY MAG 28"
11386 BLUE & WALNUT
257 WBY Mag

qualifies as a Ruger cataloged 1B

Go back three posts for some more information.

best, Larry
Sorry, but any non-cataloged special run, does not qualify as the "one cartridge per year" rifles that were cataloged as Classics.

No more than:

LIPSEY'S EXCLUSIVE
RU1B257WBYMAG
1B STD RIFLE 257WBY MAG 28"
11386 BLUE & WALNUT
257 WBY Mag

qualifies as a Ruger cataloged 1B

Go back three posts for some more information.

best, Larry

First of all - nice rifle. I actually have a friend that has one of these & have even had the pleasure of shooting it a time or two. Wish I could snag this one.

And to 7x64, I don't see anywhere in the OP's post where he ever suggests that this rifle is a "one cartridge per year" Classic as only you keep saying - it is a Classic Stainless though. A special run Classic. Not sure why you are having such a hard time understanding the different between the two???
Interested in an trades ?
Damn, that's old short-action Root.. I should have known.. Larry, I thought you got the golden brogan off the Fire..?

Why must you argue when you read right there the end of the box, Rem 700 Classic, Stainless, 257 Roberts? Long action too, BTW
First response from RCS:

"OK. Gears were turning. Had to go back but I believe what he has is a Bill Hicks Co. limited run. Some searching says 2002ish. But it was as you describe; a SS Classic in 257. Can't find anything on the action length or numbers."

So IMHO all that is happening is confusion over what is a Classic.

All my books and catalog collection states that Remington Classics were the one cartridge per year rifles.

If Remington chose to produce other limited run uncataloged rifles and call them Classics,
"Classic Limited" to be precise for selected vendors, then so be it.

As I said way back before the flaming began, it sound like a very nice rifle but it does not conform to what Remington collectors would label a Classic.
They were cataloged blue and Walnut rifles made from 1981-2005.
Wow you are a joke man. What a waste of space.
Just to be clear... This awesome rifle is still for sale AND at a very fair price? Right?!
I agree it has become a waste of space, but I'm still waiting for 257 Heaven to point out any error in my posts on the 03A3. I would PM him but he's hiding under his desk.

G'nite gentlemen.
No I meant you are a waste of space.
Free bump for a nice rifle at a fair price. Good luck with your sale !

This rifle is still for sale.
Remington 700 Classic Stainless 257 Roberts - as stated on the original box and tag attached below.

Thanks

Attached picture bobbox.jpg
Attached picture bobpaper.jpg
7x64 I hope you like black chicken...
as I was lucky enough to find this Lipsey's (I think) special run when they were new on the shelf! I have one unaltered and it is the classic style only stainless and a limited run. The only differentiation between that and the caliber specific classics is that this is stainless and made for one distributor. I'm not a Remington expert but I do know which firearms I have purchased over the years and this is one fine example of a Remington classic. Great rifle!
I remember when I was a kid reading Shooting Times and other magazines, the 700 Classic was first introduced in standard calibers like 243, 308, 30-06, 270, 7mm Rem Mag along with 22-250 and 6mm according to Remington (which I didn't remember). First started production in 1978. The limited calibers started in 81 as most know. I have owned five different calibers of classics and all have been shooters. Your 257 is a fine example and would be a great addition to anyone's safe.
The .257 Classic I had was a long action.
Morning bump.

The only thing I might consider in trade is a 700 Classic in 221 Fireball.

Thanks
eastcut, you have PM....

Rifle is SPF.
Glad you sold yours eastcut someone will be very happy with their purchase. I have thought about thinning my 257 herd but just haven't quite gotten there yet.

I know for a fact that Remington made a special run of these rifles...in stainless, in classic stocks. Local gun store had one in stock. Guy behind the counter bought it. Told me to order...and order fast. The price at that time was less than $600. I thought about it too long. Went in to order, supplies were gone.

The guy "behind" the counter still has the rifle. He reminds me of it quite often.

Good luck with the sale.
I don't anyone questioned that they made "Special runs" of non cataloged rifles they called "Classic Limited".

Beyond the insults and name calling, the core issue was: "Were they cataloged Remington Classics ?"

They were not.

Congratulations on the sale. I hope the new owner has it rethroated so he can take advantge of the long action.

best to all, Larry
Read the OP again. It was only a "core issue" in your mind.

[Linked Image]
I don't anyone questioned that they made "Special runs" of non cataloged rifles they called "Classic Limited".

Beyond the insults and name calling, the core issue was: "Were they cataloged Remington Classics ?"

They were not.

You absolutely cast doubt on this guys rifle. You dang sure didn't bring any warm fuzzy good vibes...

This is one of the better done for sale listings I've seen here in quite a while. Great pics, detailed description, & box end label pic. Well done.

It's a wonder you didn't torpedo the sale.

All the best... whistle crazy
Hard to torpedo a sale to a buyer who knows what he is getting. A nice rifle at a fair price. The "doubt" I cast was factual. It was not and never will be a cataloged Remington 700 Classic. It was a limited production special run gun just like the No. 1 I mentioned earlier. Sorry you can't accept the fact that sticking a name on something does not make it what it is not.

Some friendly advice: suggest you stay out of the car collection market.

best to you and yours, Larry
Hard to torpedo a sale to a buyer who knows what he is getting. A nice rifle at a fair price. The "doubt" I cast was factual. It was not and never will be a cataloged Remington 700 Classic. It was a limited production special run gun just like the No. 1 I mentioned earlier. Sorry you can't accept the fact that sticking a name on something does not make it what it is not.

Some friendly advice: suggest you stay out of the car collection market.

best to you and yours, Larry
The rifle was not advertised as a cataloged Remington 700 Classic.

Seller misled no one nor did he attempt to mislead. The only person to foul the air was you, Mr. ShortAction Root.
You do realize that the limit run classics started in 81 were 'special runs' by Big Green, not much unlike the 'special run' that the OP listed don't you.
DFTFT
That must mean something to somebody.

I note you are afraid to take PMs and, of course, have come up with nothing on your 03A3 accusation.

Texas again.......

Adios.

Let it go you f'ng twit......it's been sold.

Adios.

We could be so lucky.....
Ignorance gone to seed.
the buyer isn't worried about the past history of this gun...you all really know how to trash a guy's post.....
That must mean something to somebody.

I note you are afraid to take PMs and, of course, have come up with nothing on your 03A3 accusation.

Texas again.......

Adios.

Pardon me for not taking threats via PM. I guess you can threaten me here on the thread.

Your reputation precedes you and you've been banned way too many times to be worth much of my time. I guess you can use another IP address for another handle and send me a PM.

As for me.........I've only needed one username for over 12 years.
© 24hourcampfire