Home
Posted By: Fifth Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
So I had to send a gun "FFL to FFL only" by request of the receiving FFL. I asked my guy about it and he doesn't understand the need as it is legal for anyone to ship to an FFL. Can anyone explain the logic/reason to me? Thanks.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
To put it simply- some receiving dealers are a pain in the ass. Some may have to do with some state/ local regulations, but not likely. Some dealers have a chip on their shoulder about people buying guns out of state and using them just for the transfer. Best bet is to find a small business or home based ffl holder that is simply doing it as a service to the buyer. A simple transfer should never be over $25 total. Some gun stores here want $50-$75 for the transfer and a few want to charge sales tax on the purchase price. I have no respect for those stores and would drive 30 minutes extra to buy anything they sell somewhere else.
Gives them a more traceable path as to where they got the gun from in the event the history needs tracing.

People disappear, bound books don't.

Mike
Posted By: Gledeasy Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
The only thing I can think of is that maybe it takes some liability away from the receiving FFL.

So for instance if a gun was stolen they could essentially brush it off to the sending FFL as their problem?

That's just a quick guess.

The other being that maybe they've had problems with receiving proper ID to show who it was received by and just would rather not deal with that hassle?
Posted By: Mull Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
Yep, Nothing Says It Must Go FFL To FFL. I Call ATF, And They Said. That It Must Be A Store, Or Dealer Policy.. As You Only Need One FFL. And That Being On The Receiving In...Lot People Want Make It Harder Than It Is...
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
A: They are ignorant of the law.
Just because they have a license, doesn't mean they have a clue.
B: It's their license and they can do what they generally want to.
If they want to be anal they can.
Posted By: RememberBaker Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
It's their license and they can make the rules they do business by, I've got no problem with that. There are lots of FFL holders out there and it's worth checking around. I found one who has no problem accepting guns from non-FFL's and he charges $15 to handle a transfer.
Posted By: Launchingrounds Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
As for the sales tax part, Some states (Like WA)require the receiving FFL to collect sales tax on out of state transfers.
So that part can be a matter of law and not an FFL holder just being anal.
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
From my experience, it's somewhere between yours and KenMi's answers. I lean slightly in favor of yours.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
But will they make a gay wedding cake?

I've always shipped through a dealer, guess it's a warm and fuzzy thing. Reckon some don't mind it, some do. It's their shop, they can do what they want.

Posted By: robertham1 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
Just bought a pistol from a gentleman in new York. Apparantly one from New York must unregister their pistol, which must be done through an FFL, and ship from that FFL. That was my understanding of what happened. Any residence of NY that can elaborate?
Posted By: bigswede358 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
Originally Posted by 16bore

I've always shipped through a dealer, guess it's a warm and fuzzy thing. Reckon some don't mind it, some do. It's their shop, they can do what they want.

Planning a wedding are you?

I think FFL to FFL just helps with liability.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15
Originally Posted by KenMi
To put it simply- some receiving dealers are a pain in the ass. Some may have to do with some state/ local regulations, but not likely. Some dealers have a chip on their shoulder about people buying guns out of state and using them just for the transfer. Best bet is to find a small business or home based ffl holder that is simply doing it as a service to the buyer. A simple transfer should never be over $25 total. Some gun stores here want $50-$75 for the transfer and a few want to charge sales tax on the purchase price. I have no respect for those stores and would drive 30 minutes to buy anything they sell somewhere else.

Excellent post. I feel the same way and can clearly relate..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/17/15

That's an extra expense and you have to deal with a middle man, unnecessarily. Like others have said, they don't know the law and the buyer should go thru a different FFL...
Posted By: 79S Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
I have a ffl in Colorado he is pretty good he charges $30 bucks never gives me hard time and gladly does the transfer its a easy $30 bucks in his pocket hell you think most would be happy to do it to make the $25-$30 buck's for 15 minute's of their time. isold a rifle to a fella in California he went to the gunshop he always goes to they gave him a wrath of [bleep] the rifle had to be shipped from a ffl (my ffl said he couldn't do it he was not on the list of approved FFL transfer dealers in CA) why didn't he buy a rifle from them I guess they don't realize left handed modle 70's are hard to come by. I got ahold of Mike Detorre (sp) on AR asking for help he recommended two shops fella went down their talked to them they said no problem all they wanted from was a copy of my DL in the box. So a lot of times they are pissed you didn't buy from them. I know of one shop in Wasilla that charges $65 to do transfers [bleep] that... SO I don't go into that shop anymore.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Some states (Like WA)require the receiving FFL to collect sales tax on out of state transfers.

That is no longer true. Got a letter about a month or so back from the WA Dept of Revenue which stated that FFLs no longer were required to collect sales tax on transfers as due to the passage of I-594 the buyer is required to pay "use tax" on any out of state purchase handled by a WA FFL.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
I own a gun shop,
You buying on the internet and transferring through my shop doesn't pay the bills. If you enjoy going to a local gun shop and browsing, then going on line to buy that gun for $50 cheaper, please don't cry or complain when the local gun shop goes out of business.
Saving $50 or $100 then paying $35 - $50 for shipping and $25-50 for transfer is a way to show it's cheaper to buy from the shop, if the price is too high, negotiate it, son't say "I can get this on the 'net for $75 less!!" Try saying, "Would you take $__ CASH, right now?" And have the cash in your pocket!

We charge for FFL transfers, used to be free for military/LE but people took advantage of our good nature. They'd transfer a gun in, get the gun and walk out, never bought anything, never spent a dime in the store - that does not pay the bills.

2 of us are retired military and my partner's son is LE.

Dealer to dealer - preferred, Individual must provide proof of ID and some guys forget or aren't going to include a copy of driver's license, etc, FFL is a number and shows acquisition and disposition.
I will accept from an individual, BUT no ID I hold the gun until it's provided.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Interesting note about the ID. Of all the guns I have shipped, the receiving dealer has only asked for ID 2 or 3 times max. I have a copy of my DL on my computer, and email it immediately if requested, or print it out and enclose it (only did that once).

As far as saving money, in many cases it is way more than 50-100 dollars, depending what is bought. The shops around here that charge the most for FFL transfers are also the shops that charge 90%+ MSRP. Many guns they are not even aware of, their distributor does not carry, and would be special order at best.

I highly doubt that states see "use tax" from many out of state buyers in most cases. That alone is another huge factor. It's up to the buyer, but with no real enforceable paper trail, it's not reality. So a buyer finds a gun online, many times with free shipping. Immediate purchase, no tax, and $25 to get it in their hands. Versus a special order at near MSRP, longer wait time and feeding their state general fund.

Michigan has a proposal next month to tack on another 1% in sales tax to "pay for roads". The way the knuckleheads wrote the proposal, only about 40% will actually go to roads, and God knows where the rest will go. It will be strongly defeated, but in the event it did pass, we would only see more business for UPS and FedEx. Sales tax is quite a bit more voluntary than income tax.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
It might have something to do with their business insurance.
I'm not sure about it but could be.
Posted By: JSC Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by Mull
Yep, Nothing Says It Must Go FFL To FFL. I Call ATF, And They Said. That It Must Be A Store, Or Dealer Policy.. As You Only Need One FFL. And That Being On The Receiving In...Lot People Want Make It Harder Than It Is...

Does not need to be receiving in all cases. At least, the way I understand, I can ship to FFL. He works on my gun and ship back to me (non FFL). My gun to FFL. My gun back to me from FFL.

Originally Posted by Hancock27
I own a gun shop,
You buying on the internet and transferring through my shop doesn't pay the bills. If you enjoy going to a local gun shop and browsing, then going on line to buy that gun for $50 cheaper, please don't cry or complain when the local gun shop goes out of business.
Saving $50 or $100 then paying $35 - $50 for shipping and $25-50 for transfer is a way to show it's cheaper to buy from the shop, if the price is too high, negotiate it, son't say "I can get this on the 'net for $75 less!!" Try saying, "Would you take $__ CASH, right now?" And have the cash in your pocket!

We charge for FFL transfers, used to be free for military/LE but people took advantage of our good nature. They'd transfer a gun in, get the gun and walk out, never bought anything, never spent a dime in the store - that does not pay the bills.

The FFL I go to looks at it a bit differently. He says he is there all day and he knows I am going somewhere to do my transfer. If not to him, to someone else. I am spending a dime in your store. Your $$$ transfer fee could be looked at as a way to keep you in business, rather than putting you out of business. Money from my pocket to yours, even if that is the only business I do with you.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
My last three transfers were involved three rifles no longer made and 2 that hadn't been made in 80 years so my local shop doesn't carry them.

The still make money charging $25 for a phone call, so cry me a river.

Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Ken...In October we will be paying sales tax on out of state internet purchases, Amazon ect...now it was only if they had a store front in Michigan they had to collect it .....Cabelas. Thanks to that Azz Hole Snyder.

He is the enemy of retirees in Michigan forcing us to move to a tax friendly state. I retired didn't have to pay Michigan income tax on my pension also receive a property tax brake. 2 years ago he change that at a cost to my wife and me of $600 a month, plus the extra $800 a month for Obama care.

I was a FFL for 18 years always excepted from a private individual with a copy of a drivers license. If I didn't get one in the shipment or before receiving the gun it was $ 10 extra for me to chase down getting it, sure gave the buyers a incentive to make sure I received one.

There is no way that a FFL can log a gun in there book if they don't have a Drivers License or a FFL to put where it came from. If they get audited by the ATF they will be shut down on the spot. When that gun comes in the door by closing of that business day it better be on the books.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's an extra expense and you have to deal with a middle man, unnecessarily. Like others have said, they don't know the law and the buyer should go thru a different FFL...

I like my middle man and the law doesn't phhucking matter. Anyone with a FFL is aware of it, they just prefer not to do it.

His shop...
Posted By: milespatton Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
The still make money charging $25 for a phone call, so cry me a river.

Way to many business owners don't have a clue about running a business. If he can make a few dollars and get you in his store at the same time, it is a win for him. He will eventually cash in on it with some sales, assuming that he is not way out of line on his products. If not, then he will blame it on Walmart. miles
Posted By: Savray Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
In the 'enlightened' state of California where I live, it costs at least $35 for an out of state transfer, and tax is charged on anything not purchased from an individual, including the shipping charge! And the state uses the tax revenues to bedevil gun owners at every turn. How do you like them apples? The weather's good, but the 'climate' sucks!
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Gives them a more traceable path as to where they got the gun from in the event the history needs tracing.

Mike

I asked my guy about this and the above was essentially his reply. If there's a problem later on law enforcement can make their life miserable.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
I own a gun shop,

Dealer to dealer - preferred, Individual must provide proof of ID and some guys forget or aren't going to include a copy of driver's license, etc, FFL is a number and shows acquisition and disposition.
I will accept from an individual, BUT no ID I hold the gun until it's provided.

When I moved to AL, I had ordered a Montana 1999 barreled action while I was still overseas. Once it was ready, I had to find an FFL to ship it to. Walked into a gunshop, explained that I was brand new to the area, explained about the barrel action and wanted to know if I could transfer it there. He gave me the answer that since I didnt order it thru him, he wouldnt accept it. Tried to tell him that HE couldnt order it. He refused, because it didnt pay the bills for him.

You know how much money I spent in that shop in over 6 years? None

Found a local pawn shop that was full of gun guys, lots of new stuff in the rack. No hassle what so ever on transfers, ever. I got to know them by name and they knew me by name. Ordered quite a few guns thru them and bought a few used guns from them as well. They always let me know that they appreciated my business.

The shop that acts like the $25 transfer fee is easy money in their pocket and welcomes the business, will get me in the store buying stuff. Because, eventually, buying a new gun locally will be the same price when transfer fees and shipping are added in to an online purchase.

When its a used gun that isnt made anymore or just something that a local shop cant compete with, 25-30 bucks for a phone call and 10 minutes worth of paper work is better than 0 dollars.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
I have local FFL's that receive from individuals but charge a large fee to receive since they are in the business of selling guns not receiving them for free.

You just have to shop around for one that is the best deal, right now $35 plus dros is the lowest around. They will do up to three guns at a time so I bunch up my purchases. Just tell the wife I have to buy three guns to save money smile
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by old_willys
Just tell the wife I have to buy three guns to save money smile

Does that actually work out for you??
Posted By: JD730 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by robertham1
Just bought a pistol from a gentleman in new York. Apparantly one from New York must unregister their pistol, which must be done through an FFL, and ship from that FFL. That was my understanding of what happened. Any residence of NY that can elaborate?

Robert-
Sad but true in New York. All handguns are listed on an individual's pistol permit. So let's say you want to buy a handgun from your friendly local dealer and already have a pistol permit. You pay the dealer, he will give you a sales receipt showing the serial number, but no gun. You take the receipt to the county clerk, stand in line, pay the fee and the clerk will add the pistol to your permit and give you a coupon. Take the coupon back to the dealer, give him the coupon and show him the amended permit an then get your pistol. If you sell, the dealer will give you a receipt and you use that to gave the clerk remove the gun from your permit.

It's really a bit more complicated. For example, you really want all your handguns on your wife's permit, because otherwise when you die the state can end up wit your handguns. So that adds another trip to the clerks office and Moore schedule coordination.

It's all worth it though - there is no crime in New York as a result.

Mark
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15

This is the issue some run accross you have to put in the bound book where the gun came from
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Ken...In October we will be paying sales tax on out of state internet purchases, Amazon ect...now it was only if they had a store front in Michigan they had to collect it .....Cabelas. Thanks to that Azz Hole Snyder.

He is the enemy of retirees in Michigan forcing us to move to a tax friendly state. I retired didn't have to pay Michigan income tax on my pension also receive a property tax brake. 2 years ago he change that at a cost to my wife and me of $600 a month, plus the extra $800 a month for Obama care.

I was a FFL for 18 years always excepted from a private individual with a copy of a drivers license. If I didn't get one in the shipment or before receiving the gun it was $ 10 extra for me to chase down getting it, sure gave the buyers a incentive to make sure I received one.

There is no way that a FFL can log a gun in there book if they don't have a Drivers License or a FFL to put where it came from. If they get audited by the ATF they will be shut down on the spot. When that gun comes in the door by closing of that business day it better be on the books.

I only go by what my experience has been and what the receiving dealer requests from me when I ship. If they don't request it, they don't get it. Not really my problem, as long as the buyer gets their gun.

As far as the tax- Michigan can beg and plead with the national big sellers like Amazon, but ultimately, it's up to the dealer. If Amazon refused to collect MI sales tax, it wouldn't happen. And I guarantee there will be no agreement with Joe's gun shop in Podunkville or any other gun shop out of state. If the gun is from an individual, it is not taxable either.

Sellers are also required to pay income tax on firearm sales based on their cost basis. How often does that happen???
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

A couple of points.

1. The receiving FFL has to have the potential new owner fill out 4473, then call it in, to get the approval for the transfer. Any serial number issues will arise from this call

2. The 4473 does all the tracking the firearm will ever need. A copy of a photo ID, such as a DL will suffice for ID of seller. Now do people and can people use a fake DL, sure, but that is a lot of BS to sell a gun that may be stolen or not reported being stolen yet. Along with that UPS and USPS require a photo ID to ship a gun.
Posted By: Fifth Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Well, I'm glad I know my guy. He is beyond easy to work with and charges $15 for transfers. He has quite a bit of business but he is not a big retail store.

I agree with the comments about some people not knowing how to run a business. A shop that gets hung up on a transfer either does not have enough product to choose from other than guns or just doesn't have a clue about retail. The biggest challenge for a retail store is getting people in your store. Hell, offering the transfer for free with purchase of something in the store is smarter than pissing people off with a greedy, short-sighted business model like "If I didn't order it I don't receive it". That attitude drives people away.....
The call in check gives no specific gun information other than "handgun" or "long gun". Any model or serial number info is retained on the form. This may be different in states that have their own check system.
Posted By: bubbas45 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by Fifth
The biggest challenge for a retail store is getting people in your store. Hell, offering the transfer for free with purchase of something in the store is smarter than pissing people off.....

When I moved to a new town 15 years ago, I was psyched that there was a gun shop in town. I anticipated happy hours of browsing, yakking, buying. At the time, I wanted to get a Colt Lightweight Commander and send it to a great 1911 smith I knew to get it tricked out to suit me. The LGS of course did not have one, but I found one in another state for a good price and had the LGS do the transfer. For $70. I was gobsmacked but at that point I didn’t want to hunt around for another FFL.

When we did the transfer, he started running the gun down, its condition (which was excellent for my purposes), the magazine... I’m thinking, you peckweed moron, who cares about the magazine? I’ll never use it anyway, I’ll buy a boxful of Wilson’s or McCormick’s.

The shop owner’s business model was that over time, as I proved myself to be a loyal customer and bought from him, he would lower future transfer fees, and eventually maybe waive them entirely.

Well, that’s one way to develop a relationship. My perspective was that if he charged me reasonable fees for opening a box, filling out paperwork, and making a phone call, I’d feel good about the place. I’d feel like he wanted my business. Feeling good about the owner and his business meant I would spend more time there and buy from him, and even be willing to pay more sometimes because I liked the place. That’s a relationship.

His business model worked out real well in my case. Fifteen years of buying guns and ammo and reloading components and scopes and accessories and cleaning supplies—I spent every penny somewhere else. In fact, I've got a couple of items on order right now, waiting for ATF paperwork. Could have done the transfer with the LGS. Nope. I’m going to drive 90 minutes each way to go through another FFL.

bws
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
In my parts it's a liability issue very very hard to find an FFL that will accept anything from a non-FFL. Also cost about $90 to do a full transfer then you have sales tax. Handguns are the worst, has to be on the accepted "list". Be thankful that you do not have to deal with this BS everywhere.
Posted By: Gregoriev Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
.... where is Bricktop when you need him.......?? He should have some encouraging words on the subject. ;-)
I don't blame an FFL for whatever rules they want to have..... of their own chioosing. There seem to be plenty of FFL dealers around these parts. If I don't like one, another may suit me. My favorite just moved, but I may go back to him once he gets settled in. I told him he was too cheap.... losing $$ on every transfer isn't a good business model. Unless he likes working for $8 an hour.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
Two ffl holders locally require it to come from another ffl holder. One says it is the law. I quit buying new guns from him after arguing about it. Another said he knows it isn't the law, but the local ATF agent made it clear she wanted it done that way.

Instead of them, I drive 40 miles and use a small town hardware store that has a big gun selection. He says the $10 transfers ( yes, $10) is the easiest money he will make all day. Because of that, he also sells me bullets and powder and bolts and plants and rat poison and gun cases and whatever else can be imagined from a small town hardware store. He said he knows what the local ATF chick can want , and that she can keep wanting but isn't going to get it.
Posted By: ruger700 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/18/15
It is easier and cheaper for me, an individual seller, to ship it dealer to dealer due to the UPS and USPS rules. Besides the home based business I use is easy to deal with and I don't have to deal with any legal issues.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
My local ffl is sick of dealing and chasing bullchit from private parties. When he gets them on the phone they argue about things he needs such as sig or DL. Just not worth his effort.

He's a great guy to deal with ... just too many experts out there.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Break it into two parts. Inbound: My FFL will receive from an individual provided the individual includes a copy of their DL. No biggie. Generally charges approx $20. Outbound: I always ship via my FFL just because I'm lazy. They will box it and ship it for me. Generally $30 to $35 in lower 48. Never had one not show up on the other end. I consider it money well spent. I always advertise my prices as "Shipped from my FFL to your FFL" to eliminate the "noise" about someone's FFL who won't receive from an individual.

Key point: I very seldom walk out of my FFL's shop without buying "something". Even it is not something I immediately need. I purchase something I know I can use in the future. Box of bullets, pound of powder, reloading manual, a brick of .22's. And I make sure they know that I appreciate what they do...
Posted By: 16bore Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Another said he knows it isn't the law, but the local ATF agent made it clear she wanted it done that way.

THIS is a problem.
Posted By: rjencks Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Inbound I'm like Orion except it's $25.... Outbound, twice I've tried to ship a rifle at the local Post Office. And twice I've gotten in huge arguments with the staff, so I use my FFL.

We have an local FFL, that bases his transfer fee on the value of the the gun coming in. I don't know what the percentage is, but I've seen a few guys almost double over at the cash register. I suppose he does this to get customers to but from his overpriced inventory.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
I suppose he does this to get customers to but from his overpriced inventory.

Why would anyone buy something from a person that has tried to screw them on another deal? miles
Posted By: Fotis Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Because he does not know the law.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Key point: I very seldom walk out of my FFL's shop without buying "something". Even it is not something I immediately need. I purchase something I know I can use in the future. Box of bullets, pound of powder, reloading manual, a brick of .22's. And I make sure they know that I appreciate what they do...

I agree with this 100%. The boys at the local shop in town treat me great. They even gave me a copy of their FFL to use whenever I find a gun elsewhere that I want. I just email a copy of it to the shipping FFL, and let my guys know it's coming. Nearly every time I go in their shop, which generally is every time I go into town grin, I buy SOMETHING from them to help them keep their doors open.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
This tread is almost hilarious, in that only one responder identified himself (Hancock27) as a gun shop owner or FFL holder. Yet the rest are telling the 'world' how interstate firearms transfers should be handled.

Bottom line - firearms transfers are a SERVICE that a FFL holder MAY offer. The FFL holder is free to implement and charge for that SERVICE (or not) anyway he or she sees fit as long as the end result is ATF compliant.

If in the end the final recipient of the firearm transfer is not happy because he or she had to pay too much, move on, find another FFL holder that offers the SERVICE at a better price. OR, get a FFL yourself and do transfers however you feel like it - again, making sure that you maintain ATF compliance. Note, in the process of acquiring your FFL, be sure to understand that the ATF will likely inspect the premise you will be doing 'business' from, require a security system, check to see if your premise is zoned for business, and require you to have posted hours of operation. And don't forget the regular compliance inspections, retention of records for 20 years, and a means to distinguish personal firearms from those of the business.

FWIW, I work in a gun shop and handle the majority of firearms transfers.

I'll go put my flak jacket on now . . . .

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by WiFowler
This tread is almost hilarious, in that only one responder identified himself (Hancock27) as a gun shop owner or FFL holder. Yet the rest are telling the 'world' how interstate firearms transfers should be handled.

Bottom line - firearms transfers are a SERVICE that a FFL holder MAY offer. The FFL holder is free to implement and charge for that SERVICE (or not) anyway he or she sees fit as long as the end result is ATF compliant.

If in the end the final recipient of the firearm transfer is not happy because he or she had to pay too much, move on, find another FFL holder that offers the SERVICE at a better price. OR, get a FFL yourself and do transfers however you feel like it - again, making sure that you maintain ATF compliance. Note, in the process of acquiring your FFL, be sure to understand that the ATF will likely inspect the premise you will be doing 'business' from, require a security system, check to see if your premise is zoned for business, and require you to have posted hours of operation. And don't forget the regular compliance inspections, retention of records for 20 years, and a means to distinguish personal firearms from those of the business.

FWIW, I work in a gun shop and handle the majority of firearms transfers.

I'll go put my flak jacket on now . . . .

That doesn't mean he knows anything. Having a license and knowing the laws are 2 entirely different things, which this thread has shown.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Having a license, knowing the laws, and running a business how you see fit, are three different things.

Plenty of shops that won't do ANY transfers either. Maybe its against their religion.

A fella can run his business how he wants. Nothing says he HAS to receive a firearm from an individual.

Plain and friggin simple.
Posted By: dkhnt Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
338Rem -

How do you figure that by completing a 4473 will resolve any serial number issues that may be present? NICS never asks for a serial number when I do the required check on a buyer? Being that a 4473 is a federal requirement I don't think that what you are referring to is specific to a locale but please let me know why you think a serial # issue would be resolved with the buyer completing a 4473.
Posted By: nitrosonic Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by dkhnt
338Rem -

How do you figure that by completing a 4473 will resolve any serial number issues that may be present? NICS never asks for a serial number when I do the required check on a buyer? Being that a 4473 is a federal requirement I don't think that what you are referring to is specific to a locale but please let me know why you think a serial # issue would be resolved with the buyer completing a 4473.

Was wondering the same thing !
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/20/15
in that only one responder identified himself (Hancock27) as a gun shop owner or FFL holder

Perhaps I should have made it clearer in my previous post about WA FFLs no longer being required to collect sales tax. How would I know that if I wasn't an FFL. Yes, I am an FFL and my total charge for doing a transfer in WA is $00. Ergo, we now know that there are two FFLs that have responded.
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/20/15
Having a license and knowing the laws are 2 entirely different things

Given that only two FFLs have answered up so far it's amazing how much mis-information non FFLs swear by. The rules are pretty simple and for those that don't want to believe all they have to do is access the abhorred ATF web site. There you will find in plain English that any unlicensed person can ship pretty much any firearm to any FFL. Done deal. Unless you're talking Title 3 firearms, which is a whole 'nother deal, the law states that any unlicensed person can ship a firearm to any FFL and that that receiving FFL can return said firearm to said unlicensed person. The problem is on the receiving end given that there are FFLs that won't accept a firearm from an unlicensed person. That's their choice and it may be based on ignorance or preference. It is what it is. You own the firearm and have found a buyer in another state and it's your choice who you send it to to deliver it to your buyer. If you're not happy with the receiving FFLs conditions tell your buyer to find another receiving FFL. This ain't rocket science folks.
Posted By: duckear Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/20/15
FFLs pick the services they want to offer and how they wish to offer them.

What works in one area would fail in another.

For example, one local FFL has a novel idea. Spend $35 in his shop when picking up the firearm and the transfer is free.

If you don't like the way one FFL runs his business, find another. There isn't a shortage.

Posted By: Calhoun Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/20/15
Never ran into a local FFL that required it except for a retail chain. The gun library manager thought the law specified only FFL's could mail firearms and even sent out a cop from the back room who maintained their books to push the same line. They finally called corporate when I pushed back hard enough and found out it was only company policy due to paranoid lawyers who thought they were going to get all kinds of stolen guns mailed to them if they accepted them from individuals.

But not one of four "professionals" in the gun department knew a thing about gun laws.

That episode directly led to me getting my C&R FFL... but even then you deal with idiots occasionally.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/20/15
I've never had a problem getting the local guys to do a transfer. I just can't imagine that a store owner will pay money to advertise to get people to come into the store, and on the other hand refuse people that walk into their store to hand THEM money.

Someone calls me or walks into my business, they are going to walk away buying SOMETHING. Maybe not today, but soon enough. And if they don't, they are going to remember how they were treated and recommend my business to someone else....
Posted By: jdbfish Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/20/15
So what does the SHIPPING FFL have to do? Most around here charge $25 to do a transfer on the receiving end. So far I've been fortunate and only had to send 1 gun thru my local ffl to an out of state FFL all other out of state deals I was able to send the gun directly to the out of state FFL. The 1 deal that I had to go thru a local FFL to ship cost me $25 ( I now use another FFL) just seems like extra unneeded expense.....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/21/15
They put their FFL in the box.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/21/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And then some.

By including their FFL, they also have to show the acquisition (who it came from) and disposition ((who they transferred it to (receiving FFL))in their bound book, complete a 4473 (FFL-FFL) and retain those records (4473 and bound book) for 20yrs.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/21/15
Which accomplishes?
Which accomplishes?

ATF compliance.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/21/15

And then some.

By including their FFL, they also have to show the acquisition (who it came from) and disposition ((who they transferred it to (receiving FFL))in their bound book, complete a 4473 (FFL-FFL) and retain those records (4473 and bound book) for 20yrs.

Your not saying that the shipping FFL fills out a 4473, are you?
The shipping FFL must complete a 4473 showing the transfer to the distant FFL holder, and retain a copy of the distant FFL holders FFL. (Note, this can be somewhat controversial at a later date during an ATF compliance inspection, and depending on the inspector subjectiveness. Some will say that a printed copy of the results from an ATF E-Z Check suffices, others will require the presence of the FFL copy). The distant FFL holder will show acquisition from the shipping FFL, and will in-turn require the receiving individual to complete a 4473 and background check, and show disposition to the individual.

The rub comes when a FFL holder is also a UPS/FedEx/USPS shipper, and merely provides a 'convenient', no hassle shipping point. If the FFL holder does not do as mentioned above (bound book entries to show acquisition and disposition) and the receiving FFL shows acquisition as being FROM the FFL and not the INDIVIDUAL, then the 'audit trail' of the firearm is broken. Believe me it happens. Joe's Gun Shop, 123 Any Street, Yourtown, XX, (address on the UPS/FedEx/USPS label) ships a gun to Bob's Sports Shop, 789 Backstreet, Histown, YY (both FFL holders). Bob's enters the gun in his bound book as being acquired from Joe's, or contacts Joe's and says "I need a copy of your FFL," despite a note inside the packaging that has all the information (name, address, photo copy of driver's license, et al) regarding the INDIVIDUAL that actually had the gun shipped. From this point on things can get messy - DAMHIKT.

As I mentioned I work in a gun store, and handle a number of transfers. I also see one of the local ATF guys about once a week - he buys a lot of stuff. It's a good time to get clarification. That said, his recommendation (and he has done our compliance inspection in the past) is that if it comes in the front door and goes out the back is should be logged in the bound book. I'll add that there is a company out there called FFL-Guard. Their staff is comprised largely of lawyers intimately familiar with firearms law, and former ATF agents and inspectors. Their job, if hired, is to provide procedural counsel to FFL holders regarding day-to-day operations and in court. Their recommendations mirror those of the local agent I spoke of.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, few have contributed here that hold or operate under a FFL (sorry, C&Rs don't count). As such much that has been professed here should be be considered advice from an arm-chair quarterback, or barracks lawyer. Yes, there have been some truths expressed as to how and individual can legally (according to the ATF) ship or transfer a firearm; and yes, there have been some truths on how the various shippers will say it can't be done, whether the clerk or counter person actually knows, or whether it is the shippers policy. Just as a FFL holder can determine how or if he does transfers while maintaining compliance, so to can a shipper. Just because it's legal doesn't mean they HAVE to do it.

. . . . flak jacket on . . . .
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/21/15
When I moved to AL, I had ordered a Montana 1999 barreled action while I was still overseas. Once it was ready, I had to find an FFL to ship it to. Walked into a gunshop, explained that I was brand new to the area, explained about the barrel action and wanted to know if I could transfer it there. He gave me the answer that since I didnt order it thru him, he wouldnt accept it. Tried to tell him that HE couldnt order it. He refused, because it didnt pay the bills for him.

Chuck Hawk, I would have made an exception in that case - and I'm a former Apache driver!!!
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/21/15
I own a gun shop, ...

Why does LEO or former military have any bearing? I mean, you could do what you want, its your shop, but if you are complaining or stating "that doesn't pay the bills", perhaps consider stepping back from the LEO centric view you appear to have.

Just an obs. Could be wrong. its happend before. But your mentioning of LEO a couple times when it wasnt the topic of the thread leads one to see you have some... something there.

Posted By: Skidrow Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
You are so fricken wrong it's not worth my time to point out all the wrong information.
Posted By: mcmaverick Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
It's less expensive for me to ship a handgun thru my FFL than to pay for overnight shipping.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
The shipping FFL must complete a 4473 showing the transfer to the distant FFL holder, and retain a copy of the distant FFL holders FFL. (Note, this can be somewhat controversial at a later date during an ATF compliance inspection, and depending on the inspector subjectiveness. Some will say that a printed copy of the results from an ATF E-Z Check suffices, others will require the presence of the FFL copy). The distant FFL holder will show acquisition from the shipping FFL, and will in-turn require the receiving individual to complete a 4473 and background check, and show disposition to the individual.

The rub comes when a FFL holder is also a UPS/FedEx/USPS shipper, and merely provides a 'convenient', no hassle shipping point. If the FFL holder does not do as mentioned above (bound book entries to show acquisition and disposition) and the receiving FFL shows acquisition as being FROM the FFL and not the INDIVIDUAL, then the 'audit trail' of the firearm is broken. Believe me it happens. Joe's Gun Shop, 123 Any Street, Yourtown, XX, (address on the UPS/FedEx/USPS label) ships a gun to Bob's Sports Shop, 789 Backstreet, Histown, YY (both FFL holders). Bob's enters the gun in his bound book as being acquired from Joe's, or contacts Joe's and says "I need a copy of your FFL," despite a note inside the packaging that has all the information (name, address, photo copy of driver's license, et al) regarding the INDIVIDUAL that actually had the gun shipped. From this point on things can get messy - DAMHIKT.

As I mentioned I work in a gun store, and handle a number of transfers. I also see one of the local ATF guys about once a week - he buys a lot of stuff. It's a good time to get clarification. That said, his recommendation (and he has done our compliance inspection in the past) is that if it comes in the front door and goes out the back is should be logged in the bound book. I'll add that there is a company out there called FFL-Guard. Their staff is comprised largely of lawyers intimately familiar with firearms law, and former ATF agents and inspectors. Their job, if hired, is to provide procedural counsel to FFL holders regarding day-to-day operations and in court. Their recommendations mirror those of the local agent I spoke of.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, few have contributed here that hold or operate under a FFL (sorry, C&Rs don't count). As such much that has been professed here should be be considered advice from an arm-chair quarterback, or barracks lawyer. Yes, there have been some truths expressed as to how and individual can legally (according to the ATF) ship or transfer a firearm; and yes, there have been some truths on how the various shippers will say it can't be done, whether the clerk or counter person actually knows, or whether it is the shippers policy. Just as a FFL holder can determine how or if he does transfers while maintaining compliance, so to can a shipper. Just because it's legal doesn't mean they HAVE to do it.

You should edit this post so that this kind of crap does not lead someone to thinking this is how things are supposed to be done by an FFL........If you truly feel this is correct, you should sit down with the cool little book that contains the shalls and shall nots that the shop was given and do a little reading.....
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
Instead of merely saying "This is all wrong", why don't you and/or Skidrow tell us what, exactly, is incorrect, and tell us the proper information?
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Instead of merely saying "This is all wrong", why don't you and/or Skidrow tell us what, exactly, is incorrect, and tell us the proper information?

If a firearm goes in the book, it needs to be disposed of in one of two ways:

1. A 4473 from an individual who does not possess a FFL and lives in the state.

2. Out to an FFL holder in another state recorded in the A&D book as the receiving FFL holders number.

No more, no less

If its in the shop, it better be in the book (for the most part, there are exceptions). If its listed in the book and no longer in the shop they just need to know where it went. Plain and simple.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
Contiguous state?

Umm..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
Umm what?

WOW, talk about not knowing. Impressive
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
Umm what?

Contiguous state has nothing to do with the law. Either an FFL can sell a long gun to you because it's legal in your state of residence, or he can't. I can go to Florida and buy a rifle or shotgun just the same as I could go to Iowa or Kansas.

Handguns can't be sold across state lines to an individual at all (leaving out the federal case that's in progress).
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
If the "sending ffl" needs to fill out a form 4473, then distributors like Bud's should be doing the same, right?

Yes, lots of misinformation posted here.

And to those wanting to know the truth, CALL ATF. You still might not get the correct answer, but take down his name, so he knows he can't just state his opinion vs actually confirming what he tells you. Better yet, send ATF an email and get a documented reply, for if and when you need to verify you did what he told you to do.

Expecting "the law" to be reported CORRECTLY on an internet website, and following what someone "thinks" is the law, will get time in the pen...LOL
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Umm what?

Contiguous state has nothing to do with the law. Either an FFL can sell a long gun to you because it's legal in your state of residence, or he can't. I can go to Florida and buy a rifle or shotgun just the same as I could go to Iowa or Kansas.

Handguns can't be sold across state lines to an individual at all (leaving out the federal case that's in progress).

Right I should have left state laws out of it
Posted By: hotdog Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
The guy that I use charges me $15 and will accept from a private sale. I was very happy when I found him, and send him all the bisniuess I can.
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/22/15
Amazon, etc. collect sales tax because if they can't show that the individual paid the tax, the state can collect it from them. The state can't audit you for payment (yet) but guess who they can audit, charge, and probably add a fine.

FFLs tend to do FFL to FFL because of stolen property. How do you prove that you were not knowingly receiving stolen property as a fence, especially to a often hostile organization? Particularly for people who are extremely careless in who they deal with and/or you don't really know or know at all.

'How the FFL is supposed to do it'? Why would companies or people take risks like this for you? Why do you expect it?
I am more surprised that you can find anyone, other then family or friends who will do it. And it is only going to get worse.

What?
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/23/15
What?

Another "Duh!" moment. Not from you Scott. From the DA above you.

When an FFL receives a firearm from a private person he needs to see valid ID and then enters the receipt of said firearm from said private person into his bound book. That's it. In order for him to transfer it from his bound book he needs a valid FFL copy or from a private person valid ID, a 4473 and a "proceed" NICS check. State laws may vary. End of story.
Posted By: releehweoj Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/23/15
Two ffl holders locally require it to come from another ffl holder. One says it is the law. I quit buying new guns from him after arguing about it. Another said he knows it isn't the law, but the local ATF agent made it clear she wanted it done that way.

That seems to be the deal here in East Central Georgia. Got exactly the same response from 2 or 3 FFLs when asked if they would accept transfer from individual. Doesn't make it right but it is the reality in which they work.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Why FFL to FFL?? - 04/23/15
Originally Posted by releehweoj

That seems to be the deal here in East Central Georgia. Got exactly the same response from 2 or 3 FFLs when asked if they would accept transfer from individual. Doesn't make it right but it is the reality in which they work.

I got this from a new gunshop locally as well. "ATF says we shouldn't". Could be an ignorant inspector, could be gunshop owner misunderstood, or could be gunshop owner was lying to me. They don't get any of my business after that, regardless.
© 24hourcampfire