Home
I have an item for sale on here and I'm new to this. What is the best/safest way to accept payment? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/20/15
I prefer money orders
I refuse to accept livestock but I know some do.
My favorite way to accept payment is through the mail, though UPS or FEDEX delivery is also ok.
PayPal. Then it's Instant. But must be discreet
Some say they won't use it because they are antigun. So is Disney, Starbucks, and more that they probably use everyday
Paypal for small stuff, USPS money order for more expensive stuff.
Posted By: rutten Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/20/15
Discreet PayPal, postal MO or personal check
I except personal checks from fellow campfire members. Never had a problem!

I friggin Hate PayPal! Anti- Gun Batstads!!! mad
And the USPS and their parent company are gun lovers?
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/20/15
As a seller, I never really care how a buyer wants to pay. Once funds are verified, the item is sent on to its new home.
If the buyer is a long-time 24hr member, then personal check.

All others, postal MO.
Posted By: hazer Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/20/15
postal money order.
Posted By: jerrys Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/20/15
Personal check with a restricted endorsement on the back of the check. Pay only to the order of (My name and complete address). Person cashing check must show ID.
Or just freaking use PayPal, which is the most secure and efficient of all the choices.
A personal check is the best way, with a wait period if you do not trust the buyer.

Money orders are easily faked nowadays, and are always a pain.

Paypal for anything that is not a gun or otherwise restricted.
USPS Money Orders can be verified by serial number check. You can also cash them at the post office.
I use them when buying items but am normally happy to accept personal checks from other campfire members.
Originally Posted by Akpilot
PayPal. Then it's Instant. But must be discreet
Some say they won't use it because they are antigun. So is Disney, Starbucks, and more that they probably use everyday

I don't use disney everyday
Money order or certified check from a known banking institute.
Personal check with a waiting period for check to clear.
Ef paypal and their 3+ % gun hating juice.

Money order if I don't know you, personal check if I do. Or Square sometimes with a fee.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/20/15
PayPal
For most things I prefer Pay Pal as it's very fast. One note that I will not due business with anyone asking for Pay Pal "gift". If the person has no qualms about cheating PayPal it's not a stretch to believe that they would rip me off also.
Originally Posted by reelman
For most things I prefer Pay Pal as it's very fast. One note that I will not due business with anyone asking for Pay Pal "gift". If the person has no qualms about cheating PayPal it's not a stretch to believe that they would rip me off also.

How can you feel good about paying pay pal a percentage for something they prohibit you from buying to start with?

Does paying them a fee, make your transaction seem honest somehow?

Maybe giving paypal a few cents a transaction helps you clear your sneaky conscience?

Maybe you just like supporting anti-gunners?

When using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.

Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.

Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?articleID=FAQ585&m=SRE
Once funds are verified, the item is sent on to its new home.

I always find it strange how the person sending money must be verified while the seller is always a wonderful man that can be trusted. crazy miles
Posted By: Fotis Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
Check MO Paypal
Originally Posted by Mac1978
And the USPS and their parent company are gun lovers?

+1
I prefer to have my hand out, palm up, while the buyer counts out large bills. Once done, he can take his item right away. This is the BEST way, but not always the most convenient.
usps m/o or check

Posted By: RED53 Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
Money orders can be faked. Cash can be faked. PayPal has restrictions. AARP is opposed to guns. Checks can bounce. No matter what conveyance you use there will be issues. As long as seller and buyer can agree, go for it and be happy.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
Originally Posted by milespatton
Once funds are verified, the item is sent on to its new home.

I always find it strange how the person sending money must be verified while the seller is always a wonderful man that can be trusted. crazy miles

Don't be absurd, Miles. Women can sell stuff, too. laugh
Graciously
Originally Posted by jotahech
Graciously

Best answer, by a mile.
Posted By: 257wby Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
I won't do PayPal gift. If you'll cheat them you'll cheat me. USPS money orders are a pia. Send me a check. When it clears I'll send it.
a seller should accept whatever form of payment a buyer wants to use.

if i have to trust you to send me the item, you should have to trust me to send you good payment.
This thread has been a bit eye-opening to me, with regard to PayPal. I never viewed PP gift as a way of cheating PayPal out of anything. The gift option simply takes away the fees in exchange for losing protection on a transfer. If I'm buying a firearm, PP won't offer protection anyway, so what's the point of paying the fee?

Interesting to see some completely different views on the matter.
8Snake, the Pay Pal fee is not only for the buyer protection but also for the ease of sending the money.

I do some dog breeding of rather high end dogs and I only accept a $300 deposit on Pay Pal. The balance has to be paid in cash if it's a face to face transaction or via bank wire transfer if the dog is being shipped.
I've done 34 transactions in the past couple of years and have accepted personal check or bank check and have had no issues. On several sales, I've sent the item befor the check was received with no problems. My opinion is that most of the 24HCF folks are decent, honest guys to deal with.
Posted By: JeffM Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
PayPal as a gift. Protects both the buyer & seller.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
I don't know much about this, only what I've read on various posts, but if you purchase a firearm, pay for it as a gift, and the seller never delivers, won't PayPal just tell you you're out of luck since you violated their rules?
Or just any firearm related equipment since most of that is not controlled by Federal law, who you gonna call?
Originally Posted by JeffM

PayPal as a gift has no inherent protection, even if it wasn't for gun related purchases.
Posted By: Stets Re: Best way to accept payment? - 04/21/15
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Originally Posted by JeffM

PayPal as a gift has no inherent protection, even if it wasn't for gun related purchases.

If I remember correctly, Paypal was a company bought by (maybe even started as an independent by) eBay, which is also very anti-gun. I think I read eBay is planning to spin it off again. Either way, both are very anti-gun. Both will bounce your account and delay or refuse to transfer payment if they detect violation of their rules, gift or no gift.

I read through Paypal's legal explanation a few years back on their web site. Total BS. BY their definition, every company and person who made, transferred or even touched a firearm was liable if it was ever misused. Anti-gun BS.

I used Paypal once years ago for car parts from eBay before I knew. Never again. By no means are they the only anti-gun companies, but I do what I can to avoid antis when possible.

Regarding money orders, supermarkets, WalMart and most of the mailing service stores sell MOs, so you don't have to go to the post office. The Kroger chain uses Western Union MOs.

I tell buyers I will expedite shipping if they send me a scan or phone pic of the MO before mailing. I also take a personal check with a few days clearing delay.

I find best way (as buyer or seller) is to send the MO in a USPS priority mail envelope. Two or three day delivery and has a tracking number.

If you're lucky enough to live way out there, stamp and an evelope.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by reelman
8Snake, the Pay Pal fee is not only for the buyer protection but also for the ease of sending the money.

True, but PayPal offers the gift option to people. It's not like you're secretly doing something the company prohibits by using the gift option. Using PayPal to buy a firearm, on the other hand, is in direct violation of company rules.

For those who view PP gift as cheating/dishonorable, do you feel the same way about PP with fees for a firearm purchase?
For those of us who live in rural areas and hold jobs and whose nearest Post Office is 10 miles away and closes at noon, I really appreciate the buyers who will accept my personal checks, even if I have to wait a few days before they ship. I have no problem using Paypal, but I don't suggest it to the buyer. If they suggest it, I will use it.
© 24hourcampfire