Home
Posted By: BOW777 WTB- BROWNING HI POWER LOWER - 06/11/15
Need a little help here..... I recently purchased a FEG PJK 9mm complete upper. I would like to find a complete lower, frame or parts to build the lower. A complete salvage gun with good lower would also be an option as well. I have been looking and thought that finding a Hi power frame would be easy but it doesnt seem to be the case.
Any help or advise would be helpful as I dont know much about them but have hear real good comments about them.

Thanks!!
UP
ttt
Buy a complete one here:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/feg-9mm-semi-auto-475bbl-hg2336

Keep your upper for spare parts.

My 2c worth. ;-)
Gregoriev,

That looks like the best deal anyone is likely to get on one of these. Probably a European police or military surplus. That shows some holster wear, but it may be pretty fair mechanically.

Gregoriev,

These were also imported under the Charles Daly brand name in the U.S. before Daly went bankrupt. Not as slick a finish as a Browning, but shoots O.K.

Myron
Saw that but, I really prefer not to have extra parts laying around....waste in my eyes jaja. I kinda prefer the project gun of a upper in search of a lower united to once again shoot.
Originally Posted by speedsixman
Gregoriev,

That looks like the best deal anyone is likely to get on one of these. Probably a European police or military surplus. That shows some holster wear, but it may be pretty fair mechanically.

Gregoriev,

These were also imported under the Charles Daly brand name in the U.S. before Daly went bankrupt. Not as slick a finish as a Browning, but shoots O.K.

Myron

The Charles Daly HP is better than O.K. It's as good as new one from Browning. I collect BHPs. I also own two Charles Daly HPs. Keep an eye on gunbroker.com
You can find then for $400-500.
BOW777,

This thread got sidetracked a bit, but some good info here.

You might try watching Gunbroker for a while, and see if one pops up there. Sometimes it takes several months until the 'right' one shows up.

Myron
Myron:

That was the purpose of my post to get feedback and advise on a matter of which I need to be informed of as I have never owned a Hi Power 9mm.
With all the members that are here, someone should have one. All a matter of patience and time.

Thanx
BOW777,

I don't think that many of the FEGs were imported under their own name, but mostly by Daly, who bought the forgings from FEG and had them finished by someone else. The later ones were finished by Magnum Research, IIRC, and supposedly the best of the Dalys.

The parts for FEG, Daly, and Browning should be pretty much interchangeable, with a little fine tuning.

idahoguy probably knows more about these than I do. Would like to see him comment here.

Myron
I've never tried swapping parts between the Charles Daly HP and an actual Belgian made BHP. The CD HP was assembled in the USA from, I've read, Hungarian parts. Since the production outside of Belgium in unlicensed by FN, I'd be reluctant to try to.
What BOW777 has now looks pretty beat to snot. Whatever BHP lower he gets may, or may not, match and work. It's a crap shoot. And in the end BOW777 may spend a lot of money and have no working gun to show for it.
There are other unlicensed Hi Power makers around the world. I've read were people have given good reviews to the pistols made by FM of Argentina. But I have no personal experience with them
idahoguy101,

I did a lot of reading before I bought my Daly HP.
There was a Daly forum and Michael Kassnar, President/CEO/Owner of Daly Firearms posted there as well as several other boards. The Daly forum is gone, but there are still old posts on some of the other boards that can be found, if you search through the archives.

The info (from Kassnar) on the Dalys was that, yes, they were made from Hungarian parts,and the early batch was finished by Dan Wesson Firearms, and the later ones by Magnum Research. The Daly company was located in Harrisburg, PA, but since both companies doing the finish work on them used a lot of production facilities in Israel, who knows exactly where they were assembled. I don't remember the difference, but I made sure that the one I bought was finished by Magnum Research.

I thought the FM (Argentina) made ones were under license from Browning, but the memory may be playing tricks on me. There was also a limited Canadian version made by Inglis.

Myron
speedsixman,

The copyrights and patents on the Hi Power long ago expired. I've never tried looking up all the countries that produce a version. I'd probably buy the FM "detective" model if I found one.
Charles Daly is basicly an importer. How much actual gun fitting they do, I don't know. But the CD HP's I own are as good or better than the gun from FN that sells today for about a thousand dollars.

The Inglis made Hi Powers were built in Canada during WW2 while Belgium was occupied. I know those guns were sold to Canada, China, the UK, and by the American OSS.

A Belgium made WW2 Hi Power with a Waffenmark sells for a premium. Supposedly all those pistols went to the Waffen SS
Big Appologies to BOW777 for sidetracking his thread, but since it already went sideways, a little more info.

idahoguy101,

" I've never tried looking up all the countries that produce a version."

FN had some of theirs 'assembled in Portugal', but the parts were not manufactured there.
FM Argentina seems to be a thing of the past. I found a supposed Bulgarian version, but don't think it was an accurate copy.

The Charles Daly name has been used by several different distributors, but the latest version owned by Kassnar went toes up in 2010. Daly didn't do any finishing or assembly that I know of, but farmed it out to other companies. FEG went out of business about the same time, +/- a year, so the forgings were no longer available.

It appears that the FN, imported by Btowning is the only source for new Hi Powers, except for the second hand market. I can't find anyone currently making or selling a new clone.

Myron
weekend bump
Up again
ttt
ttt
Still looking
© 24hourcampfire