Home
One of my son's good friends is 14 and is new to hunting. He just missed his first deer last week due to fogged cheapo scope on his Rossi single shot 243. His single mother wants to get him a better scope for Christmas, but just has about $75 to spend. Normally, I would have several extra scopes lying around, but am currently very lite on scopes.

Do any of you have a decent quality 2-7 or 3-9x scope you would sell me for around $100? I am going to chip in part of the cost. Thanks in advance for your help.
No scope, but I can donate some money to the cause.
Neal, I've got a nice Bushnell Banner 3-9X40mm CF 500 Illuminated reticles. PM me if interested.
My best advice is to try to find a used Bushnell 3200 3X9X40. I'll look around for you.
I have a takeoff Simmons Prohunter 3-9x40 WA wide field which is very clean and has good clear glass.Would be Ok for a kids 243 and the price tag is right ...$ 0000.. Might even find the set of Split ring Weavers it came with.
I have a NIB Minox Z3 3-9x40 with BDC reticle. Send me a PM if interested.
I have a weaver on here listed for 125 I will take 100.00 for a kid and ship it to you weaver v9 micro trac. let me know if interested.
I have a silver SWIFT 3.5x10x44,not perfect on outside, but super clear.
Let me know if you can use this.
I have a sightron S2. 3-9x42 Duplex reticle. Matte finish. Out side looks rough but glass is great. Pay the shipping and I'll give it to him free of charge. PM me if interested
I have a set of picatinny mount Warne steel rings I'll send you if he needs them and if they'll work. PM me if you want 'em.
Awesome responses. I was racking my brain trying to help, but apparently the op will have multiple good options for the kid.
I have a bushnell elite 3200 3-9. We can make the money work regardless. People here have helped my son and I admire what you are doing.
I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 that you're welcome to. Nice scope, I can pro'lly round up some rings as well.

Shipped tyd for $00.00

Good on you for trying to help and good on the folks here willing to. Merry Christmas.
It appears you have the scope covered, what else could the
14 year old use for deer hunting?

Doc
Heart-warming!
I have the following:

- Sightron 3-9x50
- CAMO back pack used but ok shape
- CAMO fanny pack same a s above
- some other smaller CAMO clothes et al....if interested pm me and I will ship free on my dime
What about boots? I have too many! What is his foot size?

I also have a scope, but it looks like that is covered.

Let me know.

donsm70
I am touched by the response this post has gotten so far. The kindness and generosity of the folks here has always impressed me.

The young man's name if Troy. He is 14 and very good, respectful kid. He lives with his single mother and young sister. The mother works two low paying jobs and does not have much money to spare. He asked his mother for only a shirt and shoes for Christmas because he knows she cant afford more. That is the kind of kid he is.

My wife and I and another family bought him a paintball gun and some gear before we knew about the scope otherwise we would have just bought that instead.

I will see what size boots he wears Don and Jwterry, I am sure he would appreciate the backpack etc. I don't think he has much in the way of gear.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Davidlea for helping make this kid's Christmas.
Pm me address and I will get a care package out to him
Does he need any ammo?

Dumb question, of course he does. PM me with info on preferred bullet weight and type and I'll send you a few boxes.

I love the generosity this group is putting up....

M1919
I want in. When I offered the scope I was in a different mind frame. Tell me what you need? I helped 2 kids, 4 years ago through the campfire here and boy do they come through for kids in need. I am ready to help just let me know what he needs and and a address to send. I will do what I can.
Does Troy have a .22 cal. rifle? I've got some .22 ammo I can contribute. PM with the address please.

John
Please PM an address. I've got a really nice size medium Gander Mountain Camo Jacket and a pair of pants to go along with.
I've got a new Mountainsmith daypack I'll send him. PM me the address where to send it. To OP or the 14 yr old. whichever works best. Merry Christmas.
how about a pair of bino's?
Can we get clothing sizes for both kids (the boy and his sister)? I've got kids and I know if the boy is being blessed, the girl won't be able to help feeling a little left out. Maybe gift ideas for her as well. Thanks for organizing this Neal. Please PM me their address or your address, which ever works best.
I got a range finder if he needs one. PM if interested. John
Let me know what the girl might need. I've got 3 daughters and 2 grand daughters. If I don't have it I'll get it.
I've got a couple of backpacks and a claw sling. If you need these just pm me. One pack is used, one new. I've got a set of leupold rings for dovetail mounts if you can find bases. Just PM me any time if this will help.

How old is the girl?? We have TONS of girl stuff. I'm the only guy around my house.
Also have some extra stuff, send me a address. Glad to help young ones, someone helped me at one time.
Please post sizes for the children. We would love to help. My son is 13 and over the summer out grew me. He's now 6'1" so out grew gear before he even had a chance to use it.

Looks like you have the scope covered but if not I have a Nikon prostaf 5 BDC 2.5-10x40 I would donate. I know I can round up some gear also once I have an idea on sizes.
I'll match what I said ill do for the son for the daughter as well. PM me with what she wants or needs.

M1919
I also agree with regard to the daughter. Please let us know what she might what or need.

donsm70
This makes me smile and big. Sounds like you have the scope covered. I have tons of gear but its all xl is he a big kid by chance? Glad to hear some of you thinking about the sister as well.
Every hunter needs a knife. I can send this one when I get an address.
http://www.lafayetteshooters.com/assets/product_images/PAOHIDAONIBLEDCM.jpg

I don't know any other way to send a pic.
I have 3 girls. There's a good chance I have something for the young lady. Please let us know age and size if possible.
Holy Cow

it just keeps getting better

Maybe we are on to something and a sticky or an on going
"what a kid needs" section

Hank
Damn, someone beat me to ammo and a knife.... How about cleaning kit for the rifle? I can get s quality setup for him with supplies. Neil get with me on where to ship.
How old is the girl? We have all boys and my wife would love to get go shopping for some girly stuff.
Don't tell them, but work up a list for son, daughter AND MOM.

i.e. If the son is going to harvest meat for his family, maybe mom could use a meat grinder? That kinda stuff.

I am sure lots of stuff will get covered.

I have been a single parent... and folks have helped me plenty over the years. Community is everything.
This has made my day start in the right direction. I'm all in to help, just post what needs are out there. Kudos to those who mentioned the sister. She could have easily gotten lost in the rush to help the son.
Well done, men. Well done.
If he is a bigger kid, I have a bunch of XL hunting clothes he can have. If you dont have the scope covered yet, I have a Vari X 111 4.5x14 x 50 with a crosshair reticle i was going to put up for sale on here, but if he wants it, he can have it.
Wow, i just now saw this one. please post if there is anything else he could use. i could send you a couple boxes of ammo free of charge. it never hurts to shoot all year long to get the confidence one needs at time of the hunt. As a guy who lost his dad when i was 8 i can tell you for a fact how much it means for someone to make a difference in this kids life.
If he needs a set of binos, I've got a used, but still functioning set of camo nikons I'll send your way.
Wow what great people here!!!!!

Please pm me their address as my wife and I have some thing to help with.
Wow, just wow! Thanks to everyone for the amazing generosity. I called his mom last night to get his sizes, but did not actually speak to her. I am still trying to get his sizes. He is a big kid, about 5'10"-6', but actual sizes I don't know. I will find out. I will also find out his sister's age and her needs.

This will really make their Christmas. I never dreamed a simple post looking for a discount scope for a good kid would turn into this.

I have tons of PMs and will answer them as soon as I can.

Thanks again,
Neal
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
... I have tons of PMs and will answer them as soon as I can.

Thanks again,
Neal

IMHO put up a post like this and make your life easier:

Bob/Brother (?)
B1 - Scope
B2 - Bino
B3 - Hunting knife
B4 - Ammo
B5... and on and on

Sally/Sister (?)
S1 - Pet Wolverine
S2 - Tomahawk
S3 - Water balloon launcher
S4 - XYZ
S5... and on and on (sorry, I don't have daughters)

Mom
M1 -
M2 -

etc.

Put up your address for inbound... and warn the Postal carrier.

P.S. We did an AR-15 for a young man here in Virginia last year and had lots of fun with it... everybody kicked in something from parts to safety gear to custom Cerakote.

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/971765

Lots of fun with this kind of stuff.

bump for a good guy and to keep this near the top.
Wow this is why I joined great group of people pm me I haVe 2 older girls sure I can find plenty of things on there wish list be happy to help
I'm heading the scope today or tomorrow. Super proud of all the folks here that did not hesitate to step up.
There are so many offers for duplicates of items. I want to jump in, but you guys have it covered.
To the OP...... PM me your PayPal information. I'd like to send $100 for mom. It might not be a bad idea to post your PayPal address on this thread. I'm sure other people will want to chip in.
I showed this thread to my girlfriend last night. She got pretty emotional over the generosity and willingness of everyone to help.

All in all this is amazing. I've seen it several times. It does my heart good to do good and help.
Pretty amazing people in our little hunting community/world.

God bless. Happy holidays.
Has anyone got a address where to ship to yet? Post it on here.
Here is what I have found out so far as far a clothes and shoe sizes:

Troy:
Age 14
Shoe Size 11.5 or 12 XW mens
Shirt Size 2XL adult

Ally:
Age 10
Shoe Size 5.5-6 girls
Clothes 10-12 girls

To simplify matters, just mail any packages to me:
Neal Bates
1630 April Drive
Warrior, AL 35180
423-303-6167 if you need to call me or text

Make sure and include your name and address written clearly if you will. The kids' mother is so grateful that she wants to be able to send thank you notes to each of you.

She said that the kids have not mentioned anything is particular that they want (other than clothes), as I am sure they knew better than to ask for much.

Some have asked for my paypal address. Unfortunately, my paypal account has been suspended since someone paid me for a Marlin and were not discreet in their comments. Sorry about that.

Again, thank you all so much for your generosity. You are truly helping out good kids that are in need.
It looks like we already have the following on the way:

scope
rings
knife
hunting backpack
ammo
I'll get that ammo en route today... along with something for the sister.

Thanks

M1919
Neal- Do you know if they have access to the internet? I'm thinking of Amazon.com gift cards (easy to use and they offer just about everything). Thanks!
I will find out if they have internet access. I assume they do, but don't know for sure. The Amazon.com gift card sounds like a great idea.
I will cover the boots.

How cold does it get where they live?

donsm70
Thank you Don. We have a few nights in winter that get down in the teens or single digits most years. Average lows in December and January are around freezing though.
Art set and some ammo is on its way.

M1919
How about WalMart gift cards? seems like a pretty good idea
If you need it I have a down filled columbia orange camo hunting coat i will send just pm me if you can use it and I will send it out. Not sure where you are located but I will add this coat really is only good when it is sub zero with wind. I mean it has to be cold or this coat is too much.

Rob
Pm me your address, I'll send you a rifle case for him.
His address is on page 6.
Bump this back to the top.
I have some hunting clothes at home that I think would fit him. I will look
Bump this back to the top.
Scope and rings headed via USPS tracking #9505 5110 4426 5337 4694 10 expected delivery-12/7/15
There are so many different offers for donated items, I can't keep up. Bravo guys! This is really cool.
I have boxed up;

Boots
Socks
Gloves
Hat
and a Knife for Troy
and a Walmart Gift Card for Ally and Mom.

Will ship it out tomorrow.

donsm70
Thank you so much Don, incredibly generous of you.

Not a lot but Xmas pkg on the way
Rifle case sent via bass pro
I just now came across this thread. It sounds like a lot of good folks are doing a lot of good here. I would just like to ask Neal, is there anything in particular that the Mom would like, or could use? Or if there is nothing in particular, what gift card would be good to send to help with some clothing or groceries for a nice Christmas dinner. My single mother worked 2 jobs most of my childhood life just to keep my brother and myself in a descent home and put some clothes on our backs. I know how hard it is for the Mom. I would like to do something for her to show appreciation for raising descent kids in a time that's not so easy to do, especially for a single mother.
Just got a real nice thankyou call from Neal's wife. After hearing all about the boy and the family's situation, and how it came to be, I now wish that I had more to send them besides a knife that didn't get any use.

The kid only wants to shoot a deer to put meat on the table for his family.

That should tell you a lot about him.
Bump and God Bless!

.22 ammo is on the way!

JohnP
Two packages will be enroute from New Mexico tomorrow. I hope they bring a little Christmas joy to the children.
Cleaning Kit and some Hoppe's sent your way buddy. I see the boy wears 2xl men's, I might have some hunting clothes if he needs them.
My goodness, this thread has me choked up!
This is great!
With all the negativity we see on social media, it's so refreshing to see something like this.

Merry Christmas to all!
If not taken care of I will donate a simmons or Bushnell
To the top! Amazing job everyone!
This is awesome. Well done gents!
you know it's probably too late now but in retrospect someone should have donated some wrapping paper to TnBigBore, from the looks of things hes going to go through a ream of paper and a mile of tape.
Sorry for the radio silence the last week or so. Threw my back out and have been in the bed. Just wanted to let everyone know that we have received many, many packages and handed them off to Trou's mom this morning. She was in tears when we parted. You all cannot know how much your generous gifts will be appreciated. I am so thankful for all of you. The people at this site are the very best I have ever met.
TN, Thanks to you, for caring enough to go into ACTION for this family!

Merry Christmas to you, and hope your back is doing better.

Dave
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
TN, Thanks to you, for caring enough to go into ACTION for this family!

Merry Christmas to you, and hope your back is doing better.

Dave

Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Merry Christmas to all!!
So... how did it all turn out?

Stories! I want to hear about their reactions!
Originally Posted by SKane
This is awesome. Well done gents!

Absolutely!

Sorry I'm late to this party. This should be a regular activity on the 'fire. I'd be glad to help legit kids/families getting into hunting.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Here is what I have found out so far as far a clothes and shoe sizes:

Troy:
Age 14
Shoe Size 11.5 or 12 XW mens
Shirt Size 2XL adult

Ally:
Age 10
Shoe Size 5.5-6 girls
Clothes 10-12 girls

To simplify matters, just mail any packages to me:
Neal Bates
1630 April Drive
Warrior, AL 35180
423-303-6167 if you need to call me or text

Make sure and include your name and address written clearly if you will. The kids' mother is so grateful that she wants to be able to send thank you notes to each of you.

She said that the kids have not mentioned anything is particular that they want (other than clothes), as I am sure they knew better than to ask for much.

Some have asked for my paypal address. Unfortunately, my paypal account has been suspended since someone paid me for a Marlin and were not discreet in their comments. Sorry about that.

Again, thank you all so much for your generosity. You are truly helping out good kids that are in need.

I did not contribute to this cause to get a "thank you", but since it has been 6 weeks and I have not heard anything, I have to wonder if you, or the family received my package?

donsm70
Just in case there is any doubt in anyone's mind, let me assure you that you are dealing with a stand up guy. I live an hour south of Birmingham and all of my dealings with Neal have been face to face. I even got to meet his family and his wife's folks once when I delivered some stuff for him when he was out of town.

I suspect that one reason he has gone to bat for this family is that his own family has been facing medical issues for some time now. They have faced those issues head on and Neal has made sure that his kids have not been limited in their life's experiences.

I'm sure that Neal went to bat for this lady and her children in the same manner that he did for his own family. My hat is off to him and his efforts.
Thank you for the kind words Pres.

My wife received a call from Troy's mom a few days after Christmas and a few days ago just to say how thankful she was for all the generous gifts received from the members here and how it made her kid's Christmas. I did not keep a running talley of all the gifts for my records, but many packages were received. Included in the gifts were the following that I remember:

Burris Scope
Cabelas Food Saver
2 pairs of hunting boots
WalMart Gift Cards from two people
.22 ammo
243 ammo from two people
scope mounts and rings
hunting knife
clothes and art set for Ally
hat and backpack

I am sure that I am forgetting something, but these are what I remember handing off to Troy's mom.

Please know that this family is extremely grateful for what they received through your kindness and generosity. It will not be forgotten.
i sure hope we get to see a picture posted next fall of a nice whitetail laying next to a grinning Troy. you did good TnBigBore
Glad to help out. Thank you for putting this all together and adding a little joy to their life.

M1919
© 24hourcampfire