Home
Today I picked up a 1943 Sheffield "fighting knife"
Carved in the leather sheath is the owners name and a call name "Yankee Tarheel". I did a google search of the name "Howard I. Price" and found he was a P47D Thunderbolt pilot shot down over Germany and captured.
Attached are some pics.
I need some advice as to what it might be worth. Thanks!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What is stamped on the sheath below the belt loop? Where did you get this, Germany?
If he's alive maybe he'd like his knife back.
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

+1
It has the British "broad arrow", indicating military issue. Find out who were "W&SB", the apparent maker ....that info would bear on value.
Wade & Butcher would be the maker.........
This?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

Yes, that was my first thought also. I've tried to look him up but no luck yet. I may have found his son, Howard I Price II and will try to make contact this weekend.
Originally Posted by kingston
What is stamped on the sheath below the belt loop?

It says "MADE IN SHEFFIELD ENG"
[Linked Image]
Kingston, you are a Rock Star!
I'll call them over the weekend.
Tag

This just has a great story coming!
Good on you for trying to get it back to it's original owner or his family! Don't know what the monetary value would be, but if it were part of my family's history, it would be priceless. Keep us posted.
I've called and left messages at both numbers to call me back.
Originally Posted by Lunarphase

Been following this thread. Sure hope you have success, and it's a great thing you are doing.

Very top shelf stuff. Thanks,

dave
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
Originally Posted by Lunarphase

Been following this thread. Sure hope you have success, and it's a great thing you are doing.

Very top shelf stuff. Thanks,

dave

Absolutely...Unselfish acts like this always restore some of my faith in humanity. smile
Update:
This afternoon I drove by what might be his sons Art Gallery in Boynton Beach FL.
"Howard I Price II Fine Art Gallery" It's a residence in an old neighborhood. No one was there, I also left a message to call me back.
I'll update again if I get a call back from any of the (3) people I left messages with.
How fortunate the guy or his son may live within driving distance of you!

Following and awaiting the rest of the story...
Tag
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Following and awaiting the rest of the story...

myself as well....
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
How fortunate the guy or his son may live within driving distance of you!

I'm in South Florida, lots of retired military personnel here. I picked it up locally at a used stuff place. The Stag pommel caught my eye, and when I unsheathed it the quality of the blade was obviously outstanding.
I was bumming someone had etched their name in the sheath, until researched his name and info.
tag
I've been researching the knife, and had have found that it was issued to the British Service Commandos. They were the Commandos that assisted the US Flight Squadrons, in this case the European Theater. I imagine it was given to Lt. Price by one of the British Commandos.

I did find a European auction site that estimated the value of one between $200-$300 and have posted on a War Relics site for more info.

Still no word from from the family, I'll hold onto it for a while in case they make contact. Will advise.
Well I gave it a good try, I never did hear back from the family. I will enjoy owning it and really like it's history. I like to think that Lt. Price may have kept my uncle safe, he was an Aircraft Commander in a B-24 Liberator during World War II.
© 24hourcampfire