Home
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/28/16
I am offering my Lenard Brownell built Champlin and Haskins 7RM with Zeiss Diavari 1.5-4.5x18 shipped to your FFL in a gun case for $3,500.

Len Brownell did the metal and wood work, including the QD rings. It's French Walnut with fleur de lis checkering. It has been hunted, has some minor dings, metal is 98%. The bore is excellent and it prefers 139-140 gr. bullets, shoots sub MOA. Has a Canjar trigger with tang safety.

Champlin and Haskins rifles generally sell in the $5-6K range, check on line. This one has a banded front sight, quarter rib with express sights, pop ups regulated for 200 and 300 yds. It has skeleton butt plate and grip cap.

Due to quarter rib and ring spacing, scope selection was critical. This scope is super quality and works so well on this gun, I'm including it. They need to stay together, classic scope on a classic rifle.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here is a link were it was discussed.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11616379

More photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/28/16
Don't know squat about these rifles, but the seller is top notch. Up, for one of 24HCF's best.
Thanks, JG
Posted By: g5m Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/28/16
Champlin and Haskins. Fine rifles.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/29/16
The C&H actions were beauties and as a custom maker from another generation they don't come any better than Len Brownell.

He is the guy who made Eleanor O'Connor's 30/06 FW,which she used on lion, tiger,and elephant among other animals.

Great rifle here at far less than replacement today....if you could even do it.

Bump.
It's for sure a jewel from the past, one of a kind.

And as modern regarding function as one could ask.

DF
Another view.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: g5m Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/29/16
Beautiful rifle there.
If I were a LOT younger I'd try to scrape together enough to buy it.
DF you suck grin. Now that is a rifle and 1/2
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
DF you suck grin. Now that is a rifle and 1/2

laugh

Yeah, I know... grin

Good thing about this gun, because it's been used some, has some light handling marks, it's not a crime to take it hunting unlike a mint museum piece.

No reason this gun should be a safe queen. It needs using.

DF
Posted By: jcarp Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/29/16
Great custom classic
Posted By: Biebs Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/29/16
DF, I'd recommend posting it up on Guns Intl. That's the best site for custom, high-end firearms.
Thanks, Biebs.

I've never done that, guess I could figure it out.

DF
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by Biebs
DF, I'd recommend posting it up on Guns Intl. That's the best site for custom, high-end firearms.

Yup.
Zeiss scope.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Not easy to read, but you can see the lettering, Mr. Brownells name, address and the number 78. The action serial number is 446.

I don't know much about C&H production, serial numbers, etc., but would think this was an early action bought by Mr. Brownell to build this gun for a client. There were initials on the gold oval. I had them polished out and my initials engraved. They're very lightly engraved, could be polished out, replaced with new initials.

DF

[Linked Image]
Found this on line about Len Brownell.

http://americansocietyofarmscollect...rownell-Wyoming-gunmaker-B063_Bailey.pdf

DF
Answers the question of when this gun was made. In 1975 his first number was 78 and he built 11 guns that year. So, I would think this one was from early '75.

BTW, this link is the most/best info I've found on Mr. Brownell.

DF
Check the link for info on these Brownell made QD rings.

Interesting.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 12/01/16
WOW~ Beautiful piece DF, a true custom classic, GLWTS.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 12/01/16
That rifle looks old, certainly not modern. My thought is that you should sell that old rifle to me at a discount, it might be worn out! smirk
Originally Posted by Bugger
That rifle looks old, certainly not modern. My thought is that you should sell that old rifle to me at a discount, it might be worn out! smirk

laugh

Yeah, it's half worn out, wish it could talk... grin

Gotta bunch of miles left, roads to travel, critters to whack... smile

DF
Have some interest, nothing yet confirmed.

DF
Still available if someone want to work out a trade or a deal.

DF
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 01/03/17
that's a beauty...
Thanks.

I'm about ready to keep it. Maybe the stable doesn't need thinning that bad... grin

It doesn't take up much space, would be hard to replace as it's one of a kind.

Maybe I'll take it to the camp for a run at WT's and hogs. It really likes 140 gr. NPT's and 139 gr. Hornady IL's. And, it's real easy to look at in the box blind.

DF
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 01/04/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks.

I'm about ready to keep it. Maybe the stable doesn't need thinning that bad... grin

It doesn't take up much space, would be hard to replace as it's one of a kind.

Maybe I'll take it to the camp for a run at WT's and hogs. It really likes 140 gr. NPT's and 139 gr. Hornady IL's. And, it's real easy to look at in the box blind.

DF

I wouldn't sell it. It's in another class entirely from the Tonka Toy crap being peddled as rifles today.
I hear ya.

Am leaning that way, do have a Fire contributor wanting to work up a trade, not sure what he has.

It'll have to be pretty special, if you get my drift...

DF

Posted By: mmgravy Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 01/04/17
I agree 100% with you Bob. I would keep it as well. Len Brownell's work is outstanding to say the least.
Thanks, guys.

The more I read about Lenard Brownell and the more I look at this gun, the more attached I've become.

It's been a safe queen, now I think I'm gonna kill some stuff with it.

It deserves to be used and it may as well be me doing the using... grin

Appreciate all the comments.

DF
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 01/05/17
Len built the rifle to be used.

It looks like the original owner did that and now it is time for you to do the same.

It is time to admire his work in a hunting situation as he intended....
Posted By: hanco Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 01/05/17
Beautiful, On par with a Biesen
Thanks, guys for your insight.

I'm now looking at it in a new light, agree with keeping it and putting it to good use.

You're right, Mike. Len built this gun to be used and I think he would be pleased to see it out in the field, whacking stuff. To do so is to honor his memory and enjoy what his talented hands have created.

DF
Posted By: guy57 Re: Champlin and Haskins 7RM - 01/05/17
The correct ending to a fine post. (just my .02 worth)
© 24hourcampfire