Home
I would like to sell my Ruger .22 target model pistol, but I don't know how to ship it. Can anyone help?
Take it to a FFL and have him ship USPS
If you don't know an FFL, use this tool to look one up near you:

http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx
If you ship it yourself, you are supposed to use UPS or Fedex Overnight/Next day type service. Usually expensive. It may be more reasonable to pay a FFL to transfer it for you as others have suggested since they can ship it USPS flat rate.
Originally Posted by wapiti22
Take it to a FFL and have him ship USPS

^This^

donsm70
unless I have been mislead for a number of years...it has to be shipped..FFL to FFL.& better talk to receiving FFL as some will not accept unless shipped by a specific carrier
you have been mislead all these years a non ffl can ship a handgun to a ffl but not by usps only by common carrier
I don't often sell handguns. Must go to FFL. Some will accept from individual, but UPS overnight can be expensive. My problem is that area dealers have flat $80 fee to book & pack firearm PLUS Shipping cost. Next time I sell I will price pistol PLUS buyer to pay 1/2 shipping.

yep....FFL on each end............
FWIW...I shipped a Glock through FedEx a month or so ago and it cost me $100 to do so. FedEx must go next day therefore cost goes up. This was non ffl to ffl.
Originally Posted by Citori16
I don't often sell handguns. Must go to FFL. Some will accept from individual, but UPS overnight can be expensive. My problem is that area dealers have flat $80 fee to book & pack firearm PLUS Shipping cost. Next time I sell I will price pistol PLUS buyer to pay 1/2 shipping.

I would find a different FFL, that sounds like Highway robbery. That price sounds like they don't want to do a transfer.
Originally Posted by Citori16

Wow! I would shop around a little, that's pretty expensive. I have a local FFL that will ship and insure for between $30-40, depending on the amount of insurance, and they will box and package it for you, and they do a great job of packing.
Originally Posted by CBinNH
If you ship it yourself, you are supposed to use UPS or Fedex Overnight/Next day type service. Usually expensive. It may be more reasonable to pay a FFL to transfer it for you as others have suggested since they can ship it USPS flat rate.

I also thought handguns had to go FFL to FFL, but per ATF regs a nonlicensee (someone who is not an FFL holder) can ship using common carrier (UPS or Fedex, I don't know any others that handle firearms):

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

I think common carrier policy is it must go overnight, which makes it expensive. A nonlicensee may not ship a handgun via USPS:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Easiest and cheapest is to use an FFL for shipping a handgun. Most do it often and you're covered legally.

The ATF regs indicate in-state shipment to nonlicensee is permitted but state law may override this and I suspect UPS and Fedex may refuse unless going to FFL. Here Colorado law says every transfer must have a background check of the recipient, so if you find an in-state buyer check your laws.

A non-licensee can definitely ship a handgun or long gun to an FFL if shipping to another state. Blah blah blah....handguns cannot be shipped USPS by a non-licensee. The overnight rule is NOT federal law. It's a UPS/FedEx rule. I believe federal law says there has to be a way to track the firearm.

What is a travesty to me is that some BATF offices are trying to strong-arm dealers into not accepting shipments of guns from non-licensees. This is contrary to the law and it really chaps me. I don't have any local FFL's that want to ship for a non-licensee.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Nope, not required....can't believe this old myth is still being repeated.
I have home accounts with both FedEx and UPS.
The web site has no place to fill in if it's a gun, and doesn't t ask either.
All the ATF rules say is that I must notify the carrier.
Again no place on the web site to do so.
Our local office is a drop off. Not a FedEx, or UPS store.
I've had my dealer ship USPS for me.
No charge.
If your dealer charges you more than a reasonable fee, he's a thief.
$20 - 30 ought to be sufficient.
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Nope, not required....can't believe this old myth is still being repeated.

well.....my mistake....what I would still do......

give my FFL guy $20...pack the handgun with his license inside

put it in a flat rate $16 box...ship it...$36 shipped.......

oh yea...UPS does NOT require next day air shipping on handguns..

when that all started...Brown made a TON of money...claiming they

wanted to get handguns in & out of their system ASAP...less time

and handling meant less time for loss....yes or theft.....
I'm fortunate to work with a good FFL. Mine charges me $20 to receive a gun, but doesn't charge to run it through his books to go out.
© 24hourcampfire