Home
Remington 700 mountain rifle .257 Roberts.
Wood in really nice condition along with bluing.
Bolt shows most of use, crisp clean rifling. Lower end scope included.
Desirable.257 cal.
$925

Buyer pays shipping. No CA sales
I've often wondered why no California sales from out of state?

Last year I bought a gun from a guy in Texas. We had zero problems with the transaction. I had the local Outdoor World fax a copy of their FFL to the seller. The seller then shiped the gun to Outdoor World. At that time it is up to Outdoor World to comply with all the laws.

It was a smooth easy transaction!

So by not selling to California you're losing out on a big market share. We have a large number of hunters here.
I have been told many CA FFL's don't accept from individuals.
When asking my local FFL's to ship they refuse.

Not sure the issue but not looking for a large hassle.

Thanks
You don't quite have it correct. Mule deer (John Barsness) is an individual. However he also has a FFL. So he could send or receive a gun from another state. I believe the rule is it has to be a FFL holder to a FFL holder. Whether they are an individual or a business it doesn't matter as long as they both have a FFL.

I would encourage you to go down to your FFL holder and ask what is their problem? Have them explain to you why only California is being singled out. If he agrees that it's a FFL to a FFL then he should not have a problem. He just has to be in contact with the FFL that's here in California.

If he says California has too many laws, he's right. However, our laws do not pertain to him they pertain to the FFL holder here in California. The FFL here has to jump through all the hoops.

If it has to do with his discusst with the politics out here. Then basically he's letting the Liberals win!

Hopefully there are some FFL holders on this website that can explain if I'm wrong or right.
Originally Posted by maknwakes
Remington 700 mountain rifle .257 Roberts.
Wood in really nice condition along with bluing.
Bolt shows most of use, crisp clean rifling. Lower end scope included.
Desirable.257 cal.
$925

Very nice version of the MR. I wanted one of these hard quite a few years ago with no luck finding one so I had one built. Fave rifle!

IIRC these are on a long action.
Great rifle. I have one and it's been a great shooter with the Hornady Superformance. Took a nice 10pt with it at 200yds this year. Had a tough time finding one too and tough to tell for sure without pics, but this is a very fair price from what I was seeing 4yrs ago. Shouldn't last long. Good luck to seller and buyer.
Originally Posted by Leonten
I've often wondered why no California sales from out of state?

Last year I bought a gun from a guy in Texas. We had zero problems with the transaction. I had the local Outdoor World fax a copy of their FFL to the seller. The seller then shiped the gun to Outdoor World. At that time it is up to Outdoor World to comply with all the laws.

It was a smooth easy transaction!

So by not selling to California you're losing out on a big market share. We have a large number of hunters here.

I had a big problem with it once. Now having a small problem with it. Shipping as an non-licensee.

I don't blame the seller one bit. It's not worth it.

And to the OP.....Wow! Nice offering. I'll PM you for pics so I can post them for you. Pics should sell this one.
To ship to Ca., all the shipping FFL has to do is register with the DOJ, (only takes a few minutes) and before you ship, you go on their website, plug in the receiving FFL dealers number and bingo, they give you an authorization number, print it out and send it with the weapon. Those that refuse to ship there are either too lazy to do it, or don't know how. I ship there quite frequently and have never had a problem.
P.S., here is the link to register if you want.

https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/index.jsp

NO, the Mnt rifle is a short action.
Originally Posted by johnp034
To ship to Ca., all the shipping FFL has to do is register with the DOJ, (only takes a few minutes) and before you ship, you go on their website, plug in the receiving FFL dealers number and bingo, they give you an authorization number, print it out and send it with the weapon. Those that refuse to ship there are either too lazy to do it, or don't know how. I ship there quite frequently and have never had a problem.

As I said, smooth easy transaction!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice! Trying to resist! crazy
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll take it. PM incoming.
That was easy! Grin
Yep, been eyeing 257s on gunbroker past couple weeks (no mtn rifles of course)come on here this AM and VOILA!!
Good snag!
SPF to Dogslife57

Special thanks to 257heaven
Both offering and posting pics. Thank you!!

Thanks for those showing interest.

No offense to the CA guys and gals. Have family that lives there and even they complain about state laws.
Most have another residents out of state just to play with firearms.
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Yep, been eyeing 257s on gunbroker past couple weeks (no mtn rifles of course)come on here this AM and VOILA!!

Congrats! You're going to love this. Nicer wood than mine too.

I have a 2-8x32mm Zeiss terra on it and it's a great size for this rifle. I'll upgrade the glass and mounts (to Talley's) eventually but will be sticking with the same size and magnification range.

Good luck with it!
Short action. I believe the long action was a limited run of Classics. Nice snag.
Originally Posted by Teeder

NO, the Mnt rifle is a short action.

My wronger ....... Must be the Classics that are the long action.
As I was looking at 257s I was checking the classics. Came across a page that listed the calibers by action size. 257R was listed as short. Don't really know for sure as some folks that have them say they're the long. Either way, this'll work, will keep my 280 (in same configuration) company.
I used to own a classic in 257. It was a long action.
Congratulations to both buyer and seller. I already have a 257 Roberts. It's a Kimber 84M...

[Linked Image][/URL]
One problem is my FFL is my coworker. He isnt in business to go to the post office and mail my guns out. I want to ship it out myself without the use of an FFL to ship. Its hard to get the seller to pay the extra to have an FFL go to the fed ex and ship my gun. I could use a different FFL, but I dont want to, its a hastle for me.
Guys, Cali is not the problem folks think it is.

Out of State Private Citizen ships a Rifle or Shotgun to CA FFL: No problem.

Call the CA FFL, tell them they have a rifle on the way. The CA FFL will want a copy of your Drivers License and a description of the rifle (to make sure they get the right rifle). Drive over to your local USPS office, box the rifle up in a plain box, ship via Priority Mail - typically $40-50.

That's it.

Handguns from out of state are different because the handgun needs to be on the CA DOJ list of approved handguns. Also, the handgun needs to be shipped overnight - about $120 (*pending rates at FedEx).

The issue is when an out of State FFL ships to a CA FFL: the State of CA requires that the out of state FFL register as a dealer with the State of CA. It's an online process - from what I understand it's like a 10 minute process.

It's still a nuisance...and it requires registration. That's the issue: reduction in anonymity.

Regardless: Private out of state citizen to CA FFL: not a problem.

PS: forgot to mention. At least as a CA Citizen (which I am) one does NOT have to use an FFL to ship a firearm. The only value the FFL has in the process is that they have to record the firearm as received...and then shipped. So you effectively have a 3rd party record of shipping beyond USPS/UPS/Fedex.
© 24hourcampfire