Home
I need to sell some bino's and a rifle, just wanted to make sure I don't get burned.

Thanks!
Do your homework. Don't over price and communicate well.

Most guys on here are a little leery of newcomers.

donsm70
I bought and sold a fair amount of stuff on here with no problems. Seems like a bunch of awful good folks.
Search for safariman's classified posts.
Thanks all.

Curious of transaction specifics, specifically with firearms.

When distance requires do people use Money Orders, Paypal etc?
I'd suggest offering payment via PayPal and personal check.
Personally, if I see a request for "postal money order," forget it.
I haven't gotten a money order for anything since about '88. This is 2017. Just sayin.'
Paypal does not allow for payment of firearms or firearms parts. They can and will lock down your checking account and hold you money for months. The people that I know that have the problems have had to open new accounts. I ask for cashiers checks or money orders, personal check is ok too but the buyer should understand I am going to hold the item for a while to make sure it has cleared. Good communication is really the key. More people get ripped off by the seller than the buyer to my knowledge so they will be more wary of you... Make sure and represent your products fairly when you list them, customer satisfaction is important.
Originally Posted by skeen
I'd suggest offering payment via PayPal and personal check.
Personally, if I see a request for "postal money order," forget it.
I haven't gotten a money order for anything since about '88. This is 2017. Just sayin.'

I'm the other way--I refuse to use PayPal. They're not secure and they take far too long to get my funds to me.

Money orders work because they're certified funds. I believe that you also have the Post Office behind you if you get burned on a deal because once they're involved the problem is mail fraud, which is a federal crime. Could be wrong on that, though.

Okie John
Take a couple of blurry photos from 20' away. Be sure to lay the rifle on a white blanket to get the proper exposure setting on the camera. Give a brief description- "Nice shape" is always popular. Ask about $300 more than it's worth because you can always come down right?

You'll be golden.
All good stuff. Even from Fireball2....

Sounds like cashiers checks and money orders are the way to go. I knew to be leery of paypal, I've actually used them buying/selling guns - you just can't let them know about it.

With the breadth and depth of the gun industry, you'd think by now there'd be a viable/gun friendly alternative to paypal.....
I've bought a couple of items so far, here. No problems. Both sellers were gentlemen I would gladly do business with again.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Search for safariman's classified posts.

^^^^^^ made me spit up!
Take really good pics of the firearms in the natural outdoor light. Especially if they are collector or vintage guns. Mention everything, no matter how small of detail.

If person wants a refund, give it to them no questions asked, if the item comes back to you the same way you sent it.
Stay away from the guys that don't use PayPal, they generally perform less efficiently than the ones who do.
I don't have a PayPal account and don't plan to. I agree it's a pain to go to the post office but if I find something on here that I want, I'm willing to do it. I've bought a lot of good gear on here and nearly without exception (Emillika) they've been great deals with good people. Pay promptly and ship quickly and your chances of trouble are very small.
USPS money orders are the best way. PayPal as stated will hold your money. Also friends and family gives you no recourse at all, it's free but you can't complain about not receiving a product when you told them it was a gift ( pay he extra or get a usps MO)
Good descriptions and pictures for a firearm. Be honest about the wear and tear. Know what a reasonable price is, as well as how desirable the firearm is. I see things both ways all of the time, to expensive and too cheap. Cheap leads me to think something is wrong. Could be a good buy as well.. Most folks here are go to go, those that aren't are soon identified and outed. Paypal is fine and I use it all of the time. (Paypal gift) Second best to me is the USPS Money Order. Pistols are a whole other thing, due to rules and regulations that vary from state to state. That would apply to AR's, AK's etc. You may not legally be able to ship and have the firearm transfer to someone in one of these states.
Originally Posted by Mac1978
Stay away from the guys that don't use PayPal, they generally perform less efficiently than the ones who do.

Not on my end.
Plenty of buyers out there, if they won't pay you the way you want paid,then they don't get the stuff.
I use USPS money orders only. If they will not get one i will not sell to them simple as that. The day i get the money order is the day it ships at the post I cash it and away it goes. simple funds are good and dont give a cent to anti gun pay pal.
Originally Posted by mibowhunter

Not on my end.

Not my end either. That's like saying most the folks here don't perform efficiently....When in reality they do.
The customer is always.......the customer
My wife says I perform very efficiently, and The only argument she has is who is going to sleep in the wet spot.
Be very careful of descriptions - pay attention to what they do not say.

Excluding new brass, all other brass here is sold as "once fired" ....

WRONG!!!
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Originally Posted by mibowhunter

Not on my end.

Not my end either. That's like saying most the folks here don't perform efficiently....When in reality they do.

Weird statement - payment is payment, by any agreed form. Paypal has rules, if you violate them, you pay a penalty. If you pay/receive payment for prohibited items, you are taking a risk, with selling - you may lose your item, and the payment.

For OP - descriptions have to accurate, and very clear. The seller that gets trouble is one that doesn't disclose a crack in the stock, a drill/tap that wasn't factory, or is selling "a pristine rifle" while complaining four threads away that the barrel is shot out...on the same forum.

Everything you post for sale will be analyzed, and searched for on other threads to see if you have a rep someplace else as a good or bad seller. You are on a public forum, it comes with the freedom to post on the web.

Not every member here has access to a Post Office everyday, so demanding immediate payment can limit your buyers. However, pretty much everyone can reach an agreement on the form of payment, and the time expectations for shipping, waiting for payment to arrive, waiting to clear the bank, etc.

Post a price for what you are selling, this isn't an auction site. If you are open to offers, at least set a base price, and then accept offers.

Life happens, just don't go silent for two weeks in the middle of a sale as either the seller or buyer, as most members will understand with quick note them on the problem you are facing.

Same with the sale, don't start a call-out thread (Billy-Bob is a liar and a cheat, don't deal with him) unless you have all of your ducks 100% in a row. 99.99999% of the members are upstanding people, and have no intention of screwing another member over. Sometimes, life happens for them as well, be patient.
I have bought & sold dozens of items on here from brass to guns. So far no disappointments. Good communication is a must. If you are selling an item lots of good, clear pictures is a bonus, as well a detailed description.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Take a couple of blurry photos from 20' away. Be sure to lay the rifle on a white blanket to get the proper exposure setting on the camera. Give a brief description- "Nice shape" is always popular. Ask about $300 more than it's worth because you can always come down right?

You'll be golden.

You forgot a couple; If a buyer asks three questions only answer one as briefly as possible. Don't bother responding to offers you don't like. Ship via slow boat, but require a signature. grin

Jerry

The savage99 statement of the year.

Prayers sent.

Not sure if the "only accept paypal or personal check" was being facetious or not. My bank puts a hold on personal checks for 10 days, so I will not ship until the payment clears. USPS money orders on the other hand are certified funds and verifiable, they offer a little protection for the buyer and seller since you have the USPS behind you if anything goes wrong.

PayPal is a whole different story. They are a anti-gun California company, some chose to give them money others don't. I had an account 15 years ago, got locked out of it about 5 years ago and don't miss it at all.
Originally Posted by ned
Be very careful of descriptions - pay attention to what they do not say.

Excluding new brass, all other brass here is sold as "once fired" ....
Hey, don't be so quick to judge. In my case it was absolutely guaranteed to be once fired... wink

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...00_pieces_once_fired_premium#Post6358677

[Linked Image]
Bump for +1 PayPal
Bump for +1 USPS Money Order
I've bought and sold a few items on here. Honesty and good communication go a long way toward making both parties happy.
As said before, decent pictures are always a plus.
I use PayPal quite a bit buying and selling. Once you get through the first couple transfers it's quick and easy. Sold a gun a while back funds went to my PayPal account which I transferred to my bank and showed in my account the next day. But like others have said anything works it's just what both parties agree on.
Originally Posted by Port
I need to sell some bino's and a rifle, just wanted to make sure I don't get burned.

Thanks!

welcome to the Fire........learn the FFL rules F I R S T !

Pics are a must..........be honest !

good luck.........
© 24hourcampfire