Home
Posted By: DARBY Estate sale - 04/24/17
I recently took possession of five firearms owned by cherished friend who is now in a hospice situation. I am taking them to a trusted dealer for evaluation and perhaps photography, but will be selling them myself and turning all the proceeds over to his out-of-state family.

If anyone is interested in any of these, please PM me your email address and I will respond when I have a better handle on values. I would VERY MUCH prefer to sell these to Arizona residents. I am very aware of how condition affects value.

Items are a US Property Remington Rand 1911 that is surely a WWII item, a S&W US Army Model 1917 45 ACP revolver that is more than likely a refinished commercial model from the 1920s, a Colt 357 Magnum 4" that was his duty gun when he was a motorcycle cop and has some genuinely "colorful" history, a Walther PPK 9mm kurz, and a 1977-production Winchester M94 30-30 allegedly unfired, with paperwork in the beat-up original box.

Posted By: g5m Re: Estate sale - 04/24/17
Darby, it looks like your mailbox is full.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 04/24/17
Thank you - will thin it out -
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Estate sale - 04/24/17
It's always amazing how much history is stored away in attics and closets.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: Estate sale - 04/25/17
sorry for your friend.....
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Estate sale - 04/25/17
All good guns. Yes interested. Need pics, info, prices.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Estate sale - 04/26/17
Have you turned up any appraisal or evaluation on that Ramington Rend .45 yet?
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 04/26/17
I had these appraised yesterday by a respected dealer/gunsmith. He feels the R-R 1911 is worth $1100 at his wholesale level and perhaps much more to a knowledgeable collector. It was apparently made in late 1942.

The remaining pieces were something of a disappointment - none are really of interest to serious collectors.

He feels that I should not expect more than $400-450 for the Winchester M94. This is a 40-year-old virgin but not exactly rare. Seems like plenty to me.

The S&W M1917 has been refinished, is in fine mechanical shape and quite presentable but probably not worth more than $500.

His take on the duty Colt 357 is much the same - fine shooter but worth $400 at most. Sad to say this is not one of the rapidly-appreciating Colt revolvers.

The Walther PPK is a newer one, in excellent shape but rather common and would be worth $300.

Note all the "buts" in the descriptions. I am not in the firearms dealing business and was not expecting these evaluations.

The owner slipped away Sunday evening. He made it home and went to bed happy. I am in touch with his daughters and plan to do my best to see they are dealt with fairly.

To those of you who requested pictures, I will keep in touch via your email.
The Colt 357 and the Winchester M94 have been sold.
Posted By: Owl Re: Estate sale - 04/26/17
Joe,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers and blessings to both you you.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. He was a fine gentlemen. Hate that he is no longer with us.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Estate sale - 04/26/17
Surprised that the R-R is still out there.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 04/27/17
It has been torn down and inspected by three potential buyers and offers made, but for now I am trying to get a slightly better figure. I am taking it and the other two pieces to a gun show this weekend in hopes of getting this ordeal behind me.
Posted By: coltfan Re: Estate sale - 04/27/17
Can you send pics of the Colt to me? I'll pm my cell to send them to as well as an email.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 04/27/17
Coltfan - the Colt was sold yesterday.
Posted By: Tungsten Re: Estate sale - 04/27/17
Nice
Posted By: xb40 Re: Estate sale - 04/27/17
I would like to see pictures of the PPK/s. PM sent
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Estate sale - 04/28/17
Once more before they head to the gun show.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 04/29/17
I still have the R-R 1911, the S&W 1917 and the Walther PPK. If any of these are around tomorrow evening I will get some pictures that can be emailed. Will respond to PMs here.
Posted By: byc Re: Estate sale - 04/29/17
"Howdy!!" grin

Sorry for the illness and loss of your bud Joe. Once gone they cannot be replaced but the memories will live on. Nice of you to lend a hand.

Bump for a good man!!

Godspeed!!

Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 04/29/17
Thanks bud - he was a dandy
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 05/02/17
For those who are still interested in the R-R 1911 or the S&W US Army M1917 please PM me - I will have photographs ready later today.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 05/03/17
The 1911 has been sold - still have the S&W 45 acp reolver
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 05/04/17
Once more unto the breach - - -
Posted By: DARBY Re: Estate sale - 05/06/17
Happy to say I have sold the guns mentioned.

My thanks to all of you for your polite inquiries.

Regards, Joe
© 24hourcampfire