Home
Posted By: johnp034 Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Remington 700 ADL, 7 Mag, 1965, factory 24" stainless steel blued barrel, some rust on receiver, barrel in pretty decent shape, wood pretty good. Any thoughts? Also, did the early 700's have the safety/trigger issue?
Posted By: hanco Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Posted By: iShoot17 Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Eh, $300 seems a pretty low offer. A person is hard pressed to find just an action for that kind of money.

For what it is worth, I paid $410 to a local guy about 6 years ago for a rifle very similar to yours, with the exception being the date.

He was asking $500 for it. It came with an older scope (I believe it is a ScopeChief, with changeable reticle), and one box of ammo. It had 14 rounds still live, with the 6 fired brass included. It was bought for an elk hunt, went west, then sat due to surgery.

I was buying the gentleman out of reloading, for $1,600. I believe he came down in the price, because of our other deal. I was very happy to get it at that price.

I’d say asking $500 would be reasonable, and see where it takes you from there.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Originally Posted by iShoot17

I’d say asking $500 would be reasonable, and see where it takes you from there.

It would take you nowhere until you came down into the low 3's,
Posted By: MuskieMan223 Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
to all the low ballers posting on this thread, here is one that sold for 630 on gunbroker identical to his with the exception of the year being two years off

$500 is very reasonable and being a 1960s Remington 700 collector myself I know what these older guns bring and how much better quality they are compared to the late 70s to current production rifles

and the ONLY Remington 700 trigger issue on these older triggers is caused by dirt and gunk in the trigger group. Years of oil and WD40 running down the action while the gun is standing in a gun cabinet. If yours is experiencing the issue, take the trigger group out, clean it thourougly, and reinstall and it will likely be fixed

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/745305178
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
I agree with hanco. It's an ADL and doesn't really have collector value. In excellent condition it might be worth $400, but you describe it in "pretty decent shape" with rust on the receiver. It's exactly because it isn't worth a whole lot as a package that some guys buy them cheap and strip the action for a new build. As you describe, I'd say $350 tops, $300 if you want to move it.

Edit: that listing on Gunbroker shows an ADL Deluxe in factory new condition; that will make it attractive to some collectors. OP describes a workhorse with visible rust. Condition matters.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Hint.....rust on the receiver
Posted By: hanco Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
I bought a like new BDL on GunBroker not long ago for 450.00. It was the first year of the 7 mag.

That’s why I thought 300.00 for an ADL with rust. Pics would help. Guns are soft right now. No offense intended!
Posted By: grovey Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Pics would help, but 325-500 depending on condition you mentioned.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Wouldn't buy one for anything other than the action. Who knows what kind of shooter the origiinal owner was. Might have liked pounding out his reloads without cooling the barrel.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Tag
Posted By: Bugger Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/10/18
Originally Posted by MuskieMan223

and the ONLY Remington 700 trigger issue on these older triggers is caused by dirt and gunk in the trigger group. Years of oil and WD40 running down the action while the gun is standing in a gun cabinet. If yours is experiencing the issue, take the trigger group out, clean it thourougly, and reinstall and it will likely be fixed

I also like the old SS 700’s and I also think the trigger issue is primarily due to poor maintenance. I have seen one broken 700 trigger and I’ve seen a lot of 700’s.

One thing I’ve noticed is that ADL’s bring $125 to $150 less than comparable BDL’s, or say 20% less on GunBroker. To me their prices should be closer than that.
Posted By: GTN Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
I have to jump in and say $325ish
Posted By: slowr1der Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
A guy on a local forum has one very similar to what you describe without the rust for $400 and he's had it for sale for months with no luck. Without seeing picture, I suspect this is a $300-350 gun based on your description. You can find a BDL for the $500 (sometimes less) that a few members have suggested.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
It'll bring $400 on gunbroker for sure. A little less on the forums as most of the guys on the forums are cheapskates and looking for "the deal" or just very specific items. Maybe try your local gun show. I see very similar 700's to what you're describing on their tables here in Louisiana all the time in the $450-550 range but they've also got some profit and possibly some negotiating room built into their prices. Good luck if you decide to sell!

Randall
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
Here's one thats pretty beat up that i would assume compares similarly to yours for $495 on GB.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/753880133
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
Originally Posted by MuskieMan223
to all the low ballers posting on this thread, here is one that sold for 630 on gunbroker identical to his with the exception of the year being two years off

$500 is very reasonable and being a 1960s Remington 700 collector myself I know what these older guns bring and how much better quality they are compared to the late 70s to current production rifles

Who the he!!s lowballing anyone, I don't see a FS anywhere in his post?
Posted By: hanco Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
Put it up for sale on GunBroker for a penny start. We would see for sure what it’s worth.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18

If you are willing to hold on to it a while longer you may be able to get a higher price but who knows how long that could take..Good luck...
Posted By: iShoot17 Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
Location and market matter. As I said, start at $500 and be willing to move and negotiate.

Based on some of the other scattered location comments, I don’t think it is far off. I believe starting at $500 and being willing to work with someone seeking a deal, would bring more money than the “low 3s” - at least around here (which is the location I based my comment on). No reason to show your hand of willing to accept lower, when it may be worth more.

Also, “some rust” matters - however, we weren’t given detailed pictures. Deep pitting? Sure, then a lower price would certainly result!
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
Before I'd take les than $500 for that nice vintage rifle, I would throw it in the lake!!! Hate it when people take advantage of people and low-ball the [bleep] out of someone to score a cheap deal on a firearm. A High-Point yes, but not a vintage Remington!!!
Posted By: RRemus Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
5 listings down the page is a Stainless Tikka 30-06 - custom rings and shoots less than 3/4" $525
If you start at $500 you will scare most knowledgeable guys off. Try $400 and be as firm as you want?
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/11/18
TIKKA?!?!? 2nd rate to a vintage Rem 700!!
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/12/18
I own a 60s vintage ADL in 7mm Mag, and I wouldn't sell it for what the market says its worth. Nevertheless, here's a link to the last one that actually sold on Gunbroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/743635497

$385 in very good condition, Burris scope included. As I said, I wouldn't sell mine for that, but the market is what it is ...
Posted By: glosto Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/12/18
Its worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm kinda partial to the early stainless 7mags and 264's but lots of people could care less about them. You can still find them in the $400. dollar range in good shape occasionally but theres not a lot of them around anymore. If I was looking for a user rifle I would buy it in a heartbeat over a new one.
Posted By: Slider1 Re: Gun Value? Rem 700 - 03/12/18
It would be VERY difficult to estimate the value of any gun with out images.
© 24hourcampfire