Home
Posted By: Kelljp Winchester model 12 mfg date - 03/25/24
Does anyone know how to date the year mfg for the model 12 ?
Looking at a trade for a vintage model 12 but the forearm is smaller than normal. Was trying to guess mfg date. I know they were manufactured for year.
Get the serial number off the bottom of the receiver and the magazine tube retainer (they should match). Then google "Winchester Model 12 date of manufacture" and you will find out when it was made.
Posted By: cdi23 Re: Winchester model 12 mfg date - 03/25/24
Great old shotguns. I have one from 1926
https://oldguns.net/sn_php/windateslookup.php?file=win1912.dat
Thanks, that is a neat tool.
so what year was it?
Appears to be 26
Originally Posted by Kelljp
Appears to be 26
Is it a 12 gauge? Not sure if you know but the 16 and 20 were short chambers until the late 20s . Not a big deal just something to be aware of
It is a 12 gauge, yes I've been surprised before buying 16 gauge guns from that time. Ammo is available but limited.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Appears to be 26
Is it a 12 gauge? Not sure if you know but the 16 and 20 were short chambers until the late 20s . Not a big deal just something to be aware of

Had a 20 gauge with 5 digit serial number. It had a standard 2.75" chamber. Think it was built in the mid teens.
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Appears to be 26

Had a 20 gauge with 5 digit serial number. It had a standard 2.75" chamber. Think it was built in the mid teens.

Your correct, 1914,1915. WITHOUT THE ACTUAL SERIAL NUMBER.

HS 58
© 24hourcampfire