Home

What is the best side-by-side double barrel shotgun for under $5,000 -- new or used ?

General purpose use -- local friendly trap, skeet, sporting clays -- bird and cottontail hunting -- no waterfowl -- no steel shot.

Under $5000 I would get a drilling.

Under $3000 look at the CT Shotguns RBL if 20 ga is ok.

I want a very fast gun for upland myself so I choose the Bernadelli Gamecock. They go for only $600 and up and will do what a gun costing five times as much does.
Ruger Gold Label, hands down!
Kimber...
If you're looking for something really nice, you know, a sidelock with some engraving, straight grip, double triggers, splinter forearm, a very traditional shotgun, fairly light for bore size, I would recommend a used gun from one of the top Spanish makers. Prices have escalated over the past several years, mainly because the "dollar" has lost value. But there are still some beautiful guns available for under $5000.00.
What about the weatherby?
Haven't priced them lately, but Merkels are nice.
How about a nice used Parker. In the lower grades like the VH you should be able to find a really good one within your price limit. Another good one that has never failed me is a Lefever Nitro Special (for easily under $500). Both I have used for small game and target.

Nuff said,

cur dog
Might want to consider an AyA #2 or #1
A $5000 bank gives you quite a few options. "Best" is hard to define, but I think it would be hard to argue that you would get the best value out of a used british boxlock from any number of makers in that price range. Finding that gun is another matter and if you aren't very familiar with used british guns then you need to hire someone who is to guide you through the purchase. A really nice british boxlock is better than 95% of the stuff that ever came out of spain, not meaning to belittle spanish shotguns but facts are facts. It would be hard to go wrong with a good used brit gun.
I bought a Beretta 625 SXS in 12 gauge used. 28" barrels with single trigger, straight stock and semi beavertail. I like the forearm a lot not a splinter and just big enough. Anyway I bought for $1000. I had the barrels reamed to more open choke configuration and a length of pull change with a leather covered pad. The gun comes in at less than 6.5lbs and handles as close to an English Best as I am ever going to come. They are a little hard to find but worth the effort as they are a solid gun. I do not know where you are at but the Scheels Stores in the Midwest have a number of used SXS guns on a regualr basis and good deals are to be had.
You can get a nice Fox Sterlingworth for half that. You could even send it out and get it fully restored for less than $5000. I would bet it you looked, you could even find a Winchester 21 for $5000. There are a lot around $6K so five's not out of the question. New in the box, there's so much going on in Spain that it's hard keeping track of what's what. You're not going to improve on a nice old Sterlingworth and no one will consider a 21 anything less than a Cadillac.
Try these guys...
link

I bought a SXS from them a couple of years ago.
It's not a $5000 gun, or even a $1000 gun.
It's an OLDER Rossi 12 ga with exposed hammers, 28 in barrels, 3in chambers, in like new condition. Never knew what fun a hammer gun was till I bought one.
Great link...
I would go with a Conneticut shotgun or a Weatherby. Based on personal experience, I really enjoy the Weatherby Athena 12g sxs. Added a couple of Briley chokes.

I'm with greg and Longranger.

I'd be looking at an AyA #2 if I had $5K to spend on a classic double.

Make mine 16 gauge, regular (not round) action, case hardened, straight grip, 27" improved and mod ...

I'm just wingin' it here. wink

You can sure get a lot of SXS for $5,000.
AYA's merkels, etc, plus a myriad fo custom builders and semi custom shops in Italy and other places.
I'd likely look for an older English , Spanish, or Italian gun, for
sure....
Cat
Me, I'd get a minty Mod 21, or even a turn of the century English piece. Love the old stuff.
If you realy want to get serious about a double gun call Bryan Bilinski at Feildsport in Travers City MI. This is the guy who brought sporting clays to the USA, realy, and is one of the best sources for SxS shotguns in the US. I have bought a few O/U for sporting clays from Brian and he is a great guy who will sell you a high grade gun at a fair price. www.fieldsportltd.com 231-933-0767, make sure you ask for Bryan.
I would agree with those that recommend an older English sxs. I never thought there could be THAT much difference in quality between an English and another high grade double. There is. I bought a turn of the century English Best Grade boxlock for the 12ga. 2.5 inch shell. Full coverage fine scroll engraving, super high grade walnut, meticulous workmanship, simply exquisite!
Not gonna believe ya til you put up pictures...pls
Wow, a Michigander and I never even heard of him...Thanks for the link.
Ugartechea Grade IV sidelock.
I agree on a used British gun.
You can buy a very nice Cogswell & Harrison for $2,500.
A nice used Merkel can be had for the same money (heavier).
A new Beretta 471 for a few hundred more, if you shop hard.
A used, engraved Simpson or JP Sauer.

I once bought a Churchill XXV for under $5,000, and a matched pair of used AyA No.2 in leather cases for $3,000.

You need to go hang out at the double gun shoots in Middlebrook, NY and North Carolina this year, and peruse the tables. Depending on where you live and care to travel, I can point you to some shops that don't advertise big, but are loaded up with stuff that you have to walk in to see.
AYA #2 or Parker Reproduction (used)
Go with a Merkel or a used Purdey or Parker if you can find them.
This Ithica has been a real treasure. I found it used, for $600. Made in 1938 and chambered in 20 GA, it has taken a lot of birds and more than a few rabbits now.
[Linked Image]
Ithaca??.....Or, Western Arms, Long Range Gun??
Originally Posted by GPA
Ithaca??.....Or, Western Arms, Long Range Gun??

all of the above. smile
Great reply! I have two: a 12 and a 16......Real workhorses in the field.
I'd get the best condition pre-war JP Sauer I could find.
© 24hourcampfire