Home
Need a little help. My dad has been wanting a nice SXS shotgun for quite some time. I am ready to get him one and would like to keep it under $1000. It will see minimal use at all. Just looking for ideas. Thanks
Try a CZ. I have never handled one, but their Bobwhite is listed at $743 and their Ringneck 201A Single is $975
Lots of good used field grade L.C.Smith's kicking around for under a grand. I'd go that route (or another good used-but-not-abused field grade gun from an American manufacturer) before buying a new import for the same money, but that's me.
always liked the Browning side by side they made back in the '70s but I don't know what they go for now....
Well over a $1000 from what I have been seeing.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Lots of good used field grade L.C.Smith's kicking around for under a grand. I'd go that route (or another good used-but-not-abused field grade gun from an American manufacturer) before buying a new import for the same money, but that's me.

Do you have any links to those. I know someone who may be interested.
Lefever Nitro in 12ga, handles like a dream, light weight, less than $500 on Gunbroker, several to choose from. Mine was built in '29
Thank you.
There's a dandy 12ga. Smith gun for sale in the classifieds of the Double Gun BBS for $700 or somesuch.
Heck, I have a 12ga. Smith I'd sell for $700 now that I think about it.
I still have this 20g

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._FS_CZ_Partridge_20GA_28_DT_#Post5109523
This place has good deals. Look at page 68. I like the look at the Weatherby's and S&W's.

http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2011-1/index.html

You either need to go used or Turkish for that price new. CZ(Huglu), and Yildiz are a few to look at.
a used Ugartechea can usually be found for less that a grand, like mine alot. Considered a great value by many folks.

Good luck
Originally Posted by DP4
This place has good deals. Look at page 68. I like the look at the Weatherby's and S&W's.

You either need to go used or Turkish for that price new. CZ(Huglu), and Yildiz are a few to look at.

I ordered one of the S&Ws on friday. That price is an absolute steel! If you have never seen one of these guns, they are beautiful. I looked at one in a local shop last year, and it was well over $2,000. They got rave reviews when they came out.
I give a strong second to what shouldershot has said. They are not only well made but have the feel that is so hard to find and so critical to the shooting of a sxs. Ugartechea made the Parker-Hale shotgun for years.
Agreed on the feel of the Uggies. Thought it was just me.
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Originally Posted by DP4

I ordered one of the S&Ws on friday. That price is an absolute steel! If you have never seen one of these guns, they are beautiful. I looked at one in a local shop last year, and it was well over $2,000. They got rave reviews when they came out.

Give us a review after you get some time to check it out. The prices are fantastic, but since I'm in Texas I have to pay sales tax.
What kind of hunting is he going to do and is he up to a heavy gun?
dan
Originally Posted by shouldershot
a used Ugartechea can usually be found for less that a grand, like mine alot. Considered a great value by many folks.

Good luck

I love Classic guns and have to say the Uggies are excellent guns. They are one of the best SXSs on the market and priced well at or under their value.

You might also look for a used Simson or J.P Sauer. They sell for that range. I had my Simson advertised here for less than a grand, but withdrew it and held on to it.

This falls in line with lub2safari's comments...

I bought this little German 16 gauge double for around $450...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

cleaned it up and had the stocks refinished for another $400 or so including a new pad installed and having that silly cheek piece cut off. 27" barrels and swings like a dream... a beautiful and fun to shoot gun that after refinish weights an incredible 5.25lb on the nose... I'm pretty happy for $850.

[Linked Image]

that said, I am a pretty big fan of the American made early SxS and any of the Fox, Parker, LC Smiths, LeFever guns that are in decent shape are great guns that can be bought for a reasonable price and will only go up in value... that can not be said for much that has been built in the last 20-30 years. Shopping around just a little and you can find a decent Fox Sterlingworth in 16 gauge for under $1000. A nice 12 Gauge Sterlingworth or decent A grade easily under $1000.

beautiful!!! cool cool
I bought a 16 gauge double model 311 Savage off of Gunbroker for $285 Nice shape not fancy but a sweet field gun
Best value is to stumble across a ithaca skb 100,200 or 280. very nice and can be found under 1000 well probably not the 280 . Also out there are some Chas Daily that were made by Miroku. These are essentially the same as the browning but often have double triggers which is a plus to me. I see then for lesss than 1000 every now and then. Having said that my buddy bought one of the Cz bobwhites in 20ga and it shoots quite well and has stood up well.
just got a huglu 4-10 model 200a very satisfied with it for under 1k nice fit, finish and balance.
you can get a CZ Bobwhite in 12GA from CDNN Investments brand new for like $425 or $450 and the shipping to your FFL is only $18. If they have anything else you want for yourself on sale throw it on the order and the shipping stays the same.
© 24hourcampfire