Home
Having a cz mallard in 20 gauge that my wife shoots trap with, and I have too, I am familiar with huglu shotguns, and find them acceptable for the few rounds we send down range.
Anyone have one of these dehaan o/u's, or can comment on it ?
We had one in the shop once. Nice wood, nice engraving, still a Huglu underneath. Didn't seem quite right to me. I'd rather have an honest inexpensive Huglu/CZ, or for the money Dehaan wanted, a middle of the road Beretta. I can't see the logic of taking an inexpensive shotgun and then charging thousands for it because it's been dressed up. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.
Originally Posted by natman
We had one in the shop once. Nice wood, nice engraving, still a Huglu underneath. Didn't seem quite right to me. I'd rather have an honest inexpensive Huglu/CZ, or for the money Dehaan wanted, a middle of the road Beretta. I can't see the logic of taking an inexpensive shotgun and then charging thousands for it because it's been dressed up. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.
Kind of? Actually, it's EXACTLY like putting lipstick on a pig..

okay, since we have shot a few hundred rounds out of the mallard and it being a huglu, and find it accurate, and fitting us, with no issues, other than a broken firing pin, that may have been already broken when we bought it used, what is wrong with huglu's ?

i've search and see where it's just like browning lock up's, or very close. the tempering of the steel is there, and are decent looking.

if a dehaan was to be found under 600 bucks, used, of course, and still in decent shape, what exactly is wrong with it ?

just cuz it's made in turkey ?

this isn't a gun to be used for thousands of rounds a week shooting trap or skeet, but a shotgun for some hunting, and some clays.

i can see if one was running the circuit for competition, that a higher quality gun would be needed, but for the rest of us wanting a shotgun for recreational use, why would one go wrong with a huglu made shotgun ?

yeah, compared to other's, a dehaan, would be putting lipstick on a pig, i guess, but still why ?

You answered your own question.

Fact is that as of now they are not made for the long haul. The Turks can and have made some good shotguns, but why pick those that are marginal for durability?

Have seen a huglu go down in their first round of five stand. Same with a Stroger.(sp?) Actually three: One firing pin went ping, one ejector went ping and one wouldn't open up after shooting it a couple times. Something went ping.

I would rather have a shotgun go down in competition where I can beg or borrow another to get me through the day, than out in the middle of a S.D. Pheasant field where I can't.

There are too many other shotguns out there that have proven to be durable and reliable than to go wasting your time on a pig with lipstick.
but you didn't answer why.
is it because of soft metal, poor workmanship, poorly regulated barrels, made in turkey ?

look at pooorly drilled base holes in some us made rifles, mossberg rifles,bolt handles coming off, and other quality made firearms that have issues ....

it's just not clicking with me why the bad mouthing.

i've read lots of reviews on huglu's, seen many at the trap range, and noone i've spoken to or seen, have had any issues.

Why matters little and even if I knew why, what could I do about it? Then you get into the getting it fixed issue.

I just know I've seen them not hold up after relatively little use and have heard from others that say the same.

You quoted $600 and I would rather spend some additional dollars-or less for proven performers-and not have as many why worries.

Originally Posted by splattermatic

i've read lots of reviews on huglu's, seen many at the trap range, and noone i've spoken to or seen, have had any issues.

Your current experience is obviously different than mine, so I wish you the best if you travel that path.

Then again, I like Leupold and Kimbers. To some here that is the definition of foolishness. grin
and if i did spend the money, shot several hundred rounds a year, and never had a problem for the rest of my life, would that have been money poorly spent ?

i am not siding with this issue per say, just wondering why so much bad mouthing.

i've been around them too, and other than the firing pin in our mallard, which is covered under warranty, and expected to be back in 2 to 3 weeks now, i've seen and heard nothing but good things, so my experience's are different than yours.

and if it were to go down, then off for repairs, and nothing lost other than picking up my old 870 and still banging away.
for me anyways.
the wife really likes her 20 gauge mallard.

i'm just trying to figure out what makes one better than the other with all things taken into consideration.
what makes them break ?
poor metal tempering ? poorly fitted parts ? poor design ? haven't read or heard one blowing up , nor falling apart from stretching of the receiver.
and if i did spend the money, shot several hundred rounds a year, and never had a problem for the rest of my life, would that have been money poorly spent ?

Perhaps my view is jaded. I shoot several hundred rounds a day, often several days a week. Downtime is a PITA that I go out of my way to avoid.
i like leupold's too.
kimbers...... well, as in this huglu issue sorta, have read too many poor accuracy issues with them to gamble. the huglu thing, is more hear say than anything, i've read so far. you say you have seen issues, i have not, many who put down the huglu's, have just heard, or just say, it's still just a huglu.

get a this or that shotgun. why ?

where is it written or proven that these are NOT decent scatterguns for what you pay, or maybe undervalued for what you get ?

and over paying for a name ?

all i want to know is what makes these poor shotguns ????

and what makes the name brands better ?

steel, action design ? what ?

yes, in your case, down time sucks.
but, does one go on a hunting trip with but 1 gun ?
i don't, as you never know what may happen.

so, would one go on a competition, with but 1 gun ?

spare parts maybe for that one gun ?

hmm, does one go hunting with out some basic cleanig equiptment or tools for minor reapirs to a gun ?

so many angles to look at this.

Ok, lemme try to give you some insight..

Exterior-wise, they look pretty good. But take the buttstock off a Huglu, and (for example) a Browning XT Trap. Compare the innards - the working parts - and note what you see as to quality of manufacture, fit etc.. Second, most of the major contact areas of sear/hammers are surface hardened.. While the Brownings (or Berettas etc) have fully hardened parts.. What's the difference? Degree of wear and durability..

I can get parts for, and repair a Browning in mere days.. Good luck with a Huglu, even if you can find someone who can/will work with 'em.. I know I won't.

They're cheaper due to labor in Turkey, cost of parts there and quality of parts..

Now, ANY shotgun, from a Baikal to a Beretta DT-10 can fail on ya at any time.. Chit happens.. It's why most true competitors always bring a back-up shotgun, just in case, during a competition.. I rarely go to a shoot w/o at least two shotguns, sometimes three, depending on the type of shoot and the ranges the meet will be using.. Most competitors even bring a small kit with a few tools and spare parts (trigger shoe, firing pin, couple of springs) etc., so they can keep going between rounds..

If you're just pounding pheasants, I'm sure a Huglu will be fine - yet, bring a back-up just in case.. But if you're goin' after a handicap trophy and a paycheck, you might wanna open up the wallet a tad more and get a more durable firearm with quickly available parts..

if a dehaan was to be found under 600 bucks, used, of course, and still in decent shape, what exactly is wrong with it ?
If you buy a DeHaan for $600, I'm sure you'll find out very soon what's wrong with it.. It's available, cheap, for a reason - trust me..

They're very pretty on the outside - a a courtesy look at the engraving won't show the difference between a Huglu and say, a Krieghoff. But 'pretty' doesn't break clays or bring down pheasants.. Some awfully plain-Jane shotguns (Perazzi TM-1 for example) have won some serious money on the trap circuit.. A Krieghoff will perform day after day on the trap range with boring consistency. But you'll pay for it - not only is it beautiful on the outside, but on the inside they're built like tanks..

Hope I've given you some usable info.. smile
it is just a recreational use shotgun, no payvhecks involved, and not for any hunting trips far from home.

just a decent looking gun, to shoot some trap with my wife, and for ducks 2 miles from the house.

thank you for explaining the heat treating issue.
now there is the first response to a question i had on parts and durability.

as for the 600 dollar cost, it is used and has a few imperfections.
if anything goes wrong, huglu usa, or maybe cz will fix it possibly, or can provide parts, as in my mallard at cz now getting repaired.
sure, might take 4 to 6 weeks,, but it's not a permenantly broken gun.
i can just pick up my 870 and still go kill ducks.

other than the spot heat treating, nothing else would seem to be an issue with the guns ?

could these wear parts be fully heat treated to possibly prevent anything from going wrong ?

anyways, off to work.
I'd be carefully looking over everything .. Meaning this: check for any loose rib(s), barrels/monobloc fit (ensure no cracks/loose barrels), fore-end iron (remove to inspect), locking lugs (tightness, fit, galling, wear), top-lever fit/position, wood (cracks, looseness), choke tubes (ensure they're removable - not stuck or rusted in place), barrels (bulges, leading etc), chamber (rust, fouling, rough tooling), extractors (do they work, are they loose, which can allow them to snap over the rim and leave the shell in the chamber), ejectors (check for function), ejector hammers (if fitted)...

See if the seller will let you shoot a box through to ensure functions are ok before you buy.. If not, pass...
He has a 3 day inspection period and no questions asked return policy.
Thanks, ill check it all.
okay, since we have shot a few hundred rounds out of the mallard and it being a huglu, and find it accurate, and fitting us, with no issues, other than a broken firing pin, that may have been already broken when we bought it used, what is wrong with huglu's ?

i can see if one was running the circuit for competition, that a higher quality gun would be needed, but for the rest of us wanting a shotgun for recreational use, why would one go wrong with a huglu made shotgun ?

yeah, compared to other's, a dehaan, would be putting lipstick on a pig, i guess, but still why ?

If you'll reread my post carefully, you'll see that I said there's nothing wrong with an INEXPENSIVE huglu. What I take exception to is taking an inexpensive shotgun and turning it into an expensive shotgun just for cosmetics. You would be far, far better off to get a Beretta which has far superior fit, finish and materials, even if the wood isn't quite as fancy or the engraving quite as lavish. If you want to spend your money on cosmetics ON TOP OF solid mechanical quality, fine. It's a poor trade to spend your money on cosmetics INSTEAD OF mechanical quality.

No matter how you cut it a Beretta is miles ahead of a Huglu in mechanical quality, whether it's obvious or not.
Only because of ? So far, redneck, has just addressed the spot treating. What else is there ?
Only because of ? So far, redneck, has just addressed the spot treating. What else is there ?
'Just'???

(groan).. I give up..

Enjoy..
Okay, I got it.
Anyways, cz called, the mallard is on its way home, so I asked about the dehaan/huglu, and they said they would work on it if needed. No warranty, so I'd have to pay, but at least I know there's a place, if needed.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Ok, lemme try to give you some insight..

Exterior-wise, they look pretty good. But take the buttstock off a Huglu, and (for example) a Browning XT Trap. Compare the innards - the working parts - and note what you see as to quality of manufacture, fit etc.. Second, most of the major contact areas of sear/hammers are surface hardened.. While the Brownings (or Berettas etc) have fully hardened parts.. What's the difference? Degree of wear and durability..

I can get parts for, and repair a Browning in mere days.. Good luck with a Huglu, even if you can find someone who can/will work with 'em.. I know I won't.

They're cheaper due to labor in Turkey, cost of parts there and quality of parts..

Now, ANY shotgun, from a Baikal to a Beretta DT-10 can fail on ya at any time.. Chit happens.. It's why most true competitors always bring a back-up shotgun, just in case, during a competition.. I rarely go to a shoot w/o at least two shotguns, sometimes three, depending on the type of shoot and the ranges the meet will be using.. Most competitors even bring a small kit with a few tools and spare parts (trigger shoe, firing pin, couple of springs) etc., so they can keep going between rounds..

If you're just pounding pheasants, I'm sure a Huglu will be fine - yet, bring a back-up just in case.. But if you're goin' after a handicap trophy and a paycheck, you might wanna open up the wallet a tad more and get a more durable firearm with quickly available parts..

If you buy a DeHaan for $600, I'm sure you'll find out very soon what's wrong with it.. It's available, cheap, for a reason - trust me..

They're very pretty on the outside - a a courtesy look at the engraving won't show the difference between a Huglu and say, a Krieghoff. But 'pretty' doesn't break clays or bring down pheasants.. Some awfully plain-Jane shotguns (Perazzi TM-1 for example) have won some serious money on the trap circuit.. A Krieghoff will perform day after day on the trap range with boring consistency. But you'll pay for it - not only is it beautiful on the outside, but on the inside they're built like tanks..

Hope I've given you some usable info.. smile

Hmmm I see more answers then just surface hardened parts here. Might want to reread his response as it is spot on.
Now I will really stir the pot. If you want a Beretta 391 better get one locked down soon. They are being disco'ed.
grin

How tight are the actions on the Huglus? I looked at a Yildiz and the action was really lose and clunky when it was open. My Beretta Silverhawk is tight even after 51 years of use.
Originally Posted by DP4

How tight are the actions on the Huglus?.
Even if they're tight when new, they won't be tight for long..

I've got SKBs from the '70s that still lock up nice and tight - but part of that (along with any other B/O type of shotgun, is how the owner treats it.. I see guys on the line slam their barrels up into position and just cringe at that mistreatment.. No wonder some of 'em get loose in a short time..

Those in the know gently close the action and then thumb the top lever slightly to ensure it's locked.. They NEVER, EVER slam an action closed.. Done correctly, those actions will last a lifetime..

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Hmmm I see more answers then just surface hardened parts here. Might want to reread his response as it is spot on.
My stars!! (choir singin') laugh laugh

Sorry, hadda laugh.. Some day if we ever meet, I'd still be happy to shake your hand.. Anybody in the trap business is very often a friend I just haven't met yet.. smile

Best wishes.
Redneck I was referring to your post as being spot on. Splattermatic only seem to get the surface hardened parts answer out of your post. But there was more to it then that. I am not really in the Trap business more sporting clays. I do tinker here and there on the trap field.
I reread it, and got it. Just old and a little slow sometimes. We're good. Shotguns are somewhat new to me. Rifles, well, I can hold my own, most times.
yep, there'll be some heads ashakin.

couldn't pass it for the price, and with the little, compared to some, shooting it'll do, i think it just may work for me.
i know, i know, i will check it over and make sure what's, what, on it, and go shoot it, as i have a 3 day, no questions asked return policy.

i just can't swing an expensive for me, shotgun. and don't want to use the wifes mallard for trap, as we would like to shoot together.

if i get to know this like i do my 870, and it patterns steel, i'd like to shoot ducks with it.
if i find anything i do not like about, it goes back. plain and simple.
you all can laugh, and giggle, but it's what fits my budget.
sorry i'm just an oil field workin class guy, and trying to enjoy life, so it is what it is.

if it fits like the other huglu made shotguns i have shot, then i will be happy. if everything goes bang, and the ejectors work, it's nice and tight, and find no cracks, then it'll be a done deal.
i can't honestly say, i'd fire more than 2 to 300 rounds a year out of it, at the most, and most likely way less.

here's a dehaan u1e.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks like a nice gun! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I truthfully carry mine around in the field for miles chasing my dog through the brush and grass, only shooting it occasionally.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Redneck I was referring to your post as being spot on.
Yeah, I know - that's why my response was as it was...
I am not really in the Trap business more sporting clays. I do tinker here and there on the trap field.
Lotsa guys seem to really like sporting clays.. I just couldn't get into it.. Tried it twice - and knew it wasn't for me.. Twice the cost of trap, takes forever to do a round and the courses I went to bored the hell outta me..

Pass.. But I know that's just me..
Can't change the price or shoot time.

However, I'm thinking MCH could show you a couple courses
that are far from boring. grin
Haha Battue you got a couple of those beautiful courses out your way. Though I have not shot Seven Springs yet! I think if Redneck shot Rock Mountain on that platform station he may just change his mind. Though I have seen a few people not shoot off it before. I think you and I ran that station last year.
Maybe, don't remember.

However, I do remember the station with the targets coming off the high hill. Think I barely cracked two of six, and that one with the low screamer also left me wanting to get on to the next station. grin

Addition: Oh yea, you mean the one that you get to look waaaay down into the valley while you hang out there over the edge?
Yeah thats the one!
Sure sounds a ton more interesting than the boring crap available around here..

'Nother reason to move outta TAX HELL WISCONSIN.. laugh
Redneck you should checkout Wern Valley not sure your local to theirs but they are in WI and from what I have seen in pictures and hear it is a very nice club. Also Claybuster lives in WI and I am sure he could tell you the better clubs in your area. WI actually has a few nice clubs from what I have heard.
Bummer - that's about four hours SE of me.. frown

From what the other guys have told me, there isn't really any knockout SC ranges around here (I'm talkin' 75 mile radius..)

Appreciate the thought though - many thanks.
i'll be picking up the dehaan in just a bit. will report back later. (if anyone cares to know what i think about it.)
also, the cz mallard, huglu made 20 gauge o/u, came back all fixed and ready for the wife to enjoy again.
yep, i like it. 3in. mags, are a bit stout, not real sure i want to shoot them too much. 2 3/4's on the other hand are nice. shot a few large pieces of cardboard at 30 yards, and both barrels are right on, and pattern center with winchester x pert 3 in., and 2 3/4's.
i think i just may like this shotgun.
no cheek bone smack like with a ruger red label i recently tried, and it comes up in the shoulder pocket, with the rib level.

and no auto safety ! i really like that feature.
I am far from being a gunsmith but I know just a little bit about o/u and sxs shotguns and what constitutes a well made shotgun. Parts in a really good one have to be hand fitted. There is none of this modular fit like that found in semi-auto shotguns. They have to have the proper hardness and finish and follow the correct geometry. The Europeans have been doing this right for quite a while and have it down pat...The turks while building a shotgun knowledge manufacturing base do not have the LEVEL of craftsmen that the Euros have. In football terms think second and third string. If they keep at it for a few years they should improve their quality.
I bought a Huglu about two years ago, excellent hand engraving, very pretty wood AA+ at least. Fit and Finish is at least as good as a Beretta 57E that I owned. Have not shot it that much, only a dozen or so boxes. No issues yet. For the $450 I bought it for I am willing to take the risk. Have read alot about them, so good most not so good. Seems either it will break right away or last forever. I don't shot 200 a week so for me..
I have had two cz ringnecks. The first had a safety like a red label.....it would hang up often. The new one is like a beretta.....and works perfectly.
Just picked up a Turk myself......a Yildiz O/U 20g that will be put to duty on a few clay birds as well as some doves and such.

All the reviews have been favorable and the price did not break the bank at $399. I had tried a Turk before.....a auto...TriStar that seemed to be a copy of a earlier Beretta and have enjoyed it.

The Yildiz is only available at Academy Sporing goods....warranty service is by Briley's. Have seen a couple of Yildiz's on the skeet fields and they are getting high reviews and being referred to as a working man's Beretta. Of course, YMMV, Good Shooting.
I didnt read many of the comments because I know what they all say but I have a CZ Bobwhite (huglu) and I really like it. I wanted a SxS and wanted one that wouldnt break the bank. It shoots where its suppised to. It patterns nicely. Ive shot huns, pheasants, quail, doves, and even a turkey wiyh this shotgun not to mention a thousand or two clay birds and its just keeps shooting. Im not saying its as good as some of the more respected brands out there but its definately not as bad as some would lead you to believe. Its like a lot of things on the internet you have to take a lot of the negative posting with a very large grain of salt.
© 24hourcampfire